Why did this get so much praise...

Why did this get so much praise? It was one of the most generic coming-of-age films I've ever seen and easily the one with the most unlikeable characters. I really couldn't care about the struggles of any of them, especially that cunt of a main character.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15097100
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's because you're a man, you will never understand it

The canonization of Greta Gerwig for doing absolutely NOTHING of value only shows the lack of achievement by female hands and their catty attempts at historical revisionism

It's gettimg praised because its different and not your typical wall flower lead

Different how? This isn't the first coming-of-age film to feature an ungrateful, entitled and rebellious main character with messed up family relations. Nothing aside from the fact that it's partially set in a catholic school (which isn't even relevant for the plot 90% of the time) sets it apart from other films of similar genre.

She's a christian and a conformist

I liked it. I thought the relationship between her and her mom was really well done

Okay, this is Sup Forums so I understand a bunch of literal retards browse this board relentlessly shitposting their misguided half thought out ideas onto the internet.

With that said and acknowledge, what film released in Lady Bird's season do you consider to be a well made film?

I'll wait, and I'm sure none of your answers will be worth responding too but I already know what I'm going to say. You're all too predictable.

>This isn't the first coming-of-age film to feature an ungrateful, entitled and rebellious main character with messed up family relations

Name five (5) films with that description

>She's a christian
Completely irrelevant to the character up until the last 5 minutes of the film
>and a conformist
Literally the opposite of a conformist. She's that girl in high school that thinks bad fashion sense and treating everyone like shit is an indicative of non-conformity.

BR2049 and Three Billboards, for starters.

I’m not any of those anons, but I thought Lady Bird was good. That’s the thing, though—with the reviews it got you’d think it was a fucking masterwork. It’s a 7/10, 7.5 tops (if you’re a woman). Blade Runner 2049 was better than it (7.5-8), Phantom Thread was an 8, Good Time was a strong 8. Lady Bird is fine, but the reviews are confusing. Average films get so much praise

Being a christian automatically makes you a conformist

90%+ of history’s greatest thinkers and innovators were Christian

Unironically this. I'm a guy and while I know that "Lady Bird" is a good movie, I felt like my sister would've gotten a lot more out of it.

Hey what are you doing on fourchan and not taking the train to my apartment , fillican?

Honestly, being female made me even less impressed by it. I didn't dislike it, but it was the sort of generic teenage story I feel like I've seen a million times both in fiction and real life because I naturally gravitate towards female characters and friends.

The Christianity part is relevant to her character identity throughout the movie including the part where she pulls the prank of being married to Jesus. Quite literally your opinion is now worthless because you've been proven wrong on such a basic thing. Also the subplot of the priest talking to her psych nurse mother in the hospital. It was a pretty central theme you mongoloid.

Blade Runner was better but it played a bit too much into your typical indie arthouse film genre with a bigger budget. It suffered in the realm of being it's own style.

Thing about Lady Bird is that it was an original script which is harder to do than you think while Blade Runner was simply built on top of an already established story and world but done with certainly great visuals.

Lady Bird being an original script had als9 the benefit of having a new take on visuals that were unconventional but aesthetically pleasing. Many of these shots are found throughout the film. Bladerunner while being a favorite of mine had a few lulls in the story progression while Lady Bird being a shorter film did not suffer the same. Every scene to the next kept up a good pace and being shorter meant there was a never a lull in the story telling. Bladerunner suffered from being too long in a way because it made itself longer than it should of been. You could argue the editing was better in Lady Bird.

Also it goes without saying the acting in Lady Bird was far far better. Blade Runner had several bad actors in it.

I found it funny that Ladybirds second boyfriend was equally as obnoxiously independent in a clinched type of way as her but because he was the male version the movie doesn't balance them out. He winds up playing as an insensitive douche to her even though his way of describing mediocre sex has as much over thinking to it as her racist anti racist tirade at her brother getting accepted to a college.
If any of us were down there with them we would have told them they were perfect for eachother but neither one of them could recognize the kismet since they were both up their own ass so to speak.

Okay I was gonna respond nicely but you clearly know nothing about cinema. Not sure why you’re going to such great lengths to defend Lady Bird...
>original script!!!
Really dude? It’s a basic fucking plot
>new take on visuals
Absolute LOL, visual style was the least appealing thing about the film—pure mediocrity
>better acting
Wrong, Ronan’s performance wasn’t memorable in the least, Gosling’s was. Both films had decent acting overall
>better editing
I wish this was a joke. Following the most low-bar conventions of editing does not beat out 2049, which had good editing (not great) and a lot more style
>length complaints
Compare the scopes of the two narratives, tard

And I say all this as someone who enjoyed Lady Bird

if you're not a catholic kid you don't have to like it but pretending it's not an intricately crafted, honest and impactful movie is just to reveal that you have no appreciation for cinema.

That’s way too high praise. The people lauding it like you do aren’t cinema elites; they’re beginners who haven’t seen enough cinema to make honest value judgments

>I'm ready to have sex
>I respect you too much

>The Christianity part is relevant to her character identity throughout the movie
Except it isn't and the film very blatantly hits you over the head with it at the very start with the head nun saying that the reason the MC doesn't know there's a theater group at school is because she's doesn't take part in the community anyway. Like I said, the only time in the movie where her catholic upbring is "relevant" is at the ending. Never once before that does the film tries to make catholicism a key part of the character or even to most other major characters in the film. You could easily strip away any sign or mention of religion and for the most part the film would for the most part be unnafected by it.
>including the part where she pulls the prank of being married to Jesus
I don't see how this is relevant to her personality in anyway. Students pranking scholastic figures of authority is a decades-old movie trope and the fact that it mentions Jesus has more to do with the setting of the school than with the characters identity.
>Also the subplot of the priest talking to her psych nurse mother in the hospital. It was a pretty central theme you mongoloid.
It literally isn't.

Honest? Yes, and that's one of the few saving graces of the film. Intricately crafted and impactful? Absolutely not.

This is all correct, btw. I have no fucking clue what that kid is talking about. Her religion is inconsequential compared to her other dominant characteristics. And the priest/theatre guy subplot or w/e is so minor it’s barely worth mentioning

You can touch my boobs, you mean

Him and the depressed priest were the only interesting characters in the film.

>Teen Girl Making Stupid Decisions

wew

It's good enough. I knew everything that would happen because Greta Gerwig wrote it, but the cast helped turn a generic coming of age film into something worth watching

because he was gay

Yeah the gay guy being scared of coming out to his family and hoping Lady Bird would keep his secret despite being Catholics has no significance to what younger more modern Catholics find themselves in inside an evolving world. Totally religion has no place in the movie or in character development.

You can easily say the same about Bladerunner yet here you are jerking off to Ryan Gosling. OH WOW, another futuristic bad wants to kill those who oppose him or are about to expose him plot. Let me guess, he's super rich and has a powerful underling to go search and hunt him. So riveting never seen Demolition Man or any other sci fi futuristic movie ever.

Christ... so you didn’t pay attention to either flick? Fucking ape

Nice rebuttal. Nice that you didn't actually say anything at all. You're a fag.

Gay boys being scared of coming out is neither exclusive nor excessively prevalent in religious communities, even more so in 2002 when homossexuality was considerably less socially accepted. And that was also another plot point that turned out to be irrelevant aside from its immediate repercussions and that could've resonated with the audience without prior knowledge of the main character's upbring.

people that assign movies or anything some shitty arbitrary numerical rating are idiots and not worthy of being taken seriously

Yeah it’s better to say good or bad hurr

>ad hominem
Well, this discussion is over.

You know so much about the topic. Was it hard when you came out to your atheist parents?

You’ve proven that you’re not worth arguing with. You got BTFO by two people already, not gonna make it a third

>proven wrong
>absolutely no valid critiques besides hurrrrr no everything is applicable to everything hurrrrrrrr

Are you retarded? Go read your “review” of Lady Bird above. Non-statement after non-statement. No point debating someone who can’t even articulate their opinion beyond a third grade level

I haven't seen it.

strawpoll.me/15097100

you must be a woman

There's nothing generic about it.
Gerwig sets up obvious payoffs that we've seen in countless coming-of-age stories and deftly subverts every. single. one. of. them.
1.) There is no tearful reunion with best friend
2.) There is no comeuppance for nun prank
3.) There is no anguished interval after a less-than-spectacular loss of virginity
4.) There is no on-screen "ultimate understanding" between mother and daughter.

HAHAHAHHA 1,3, and arguably 4 (not in-person but still onscreen) are all in the fucking movie. What is wrong with you?

Yet here you are being a retard from your first post until now.

HUEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR NOOOOOOOOOO SENSE

Have you actually seen the movie? Also 2) is an absolute non-factor and I'm sure anyone that's more well-versed in coming-of-age films can name several where the main character isn't punished after pranking an authority figure. It's not that hard of a trope do subvert.

yeah there's....nothing, great film *tear*

Post top 5 favorite films, also I’m not whoever the fuck you think you’re replying to

Also 2) is an absolute non-factor for the overall plot*

1) There’s a tearful reunion before they go to prom, fucktard
2) that’s not a trope
3) she bawls her fucking eyes out after losing her v card
4) did you miss the scene with the letters? Or the ending?

I disagree with you about the quality of the film. I thought it was a very good coming-of-age movie.

As to why it's gotten so much praise:
>Female writer/director
>Female lead
>It's in a genre which rarely gets new content, making it something of a novelty
>It probably really connected with the female audience

There are fewer female directors than male, and even fewer truly good female-directed films. When a women competently makes a movie, people who would like to see more women in the industry (for whatever reason) make sure to exaggerate the merits of said movie.

I agree that the movie is overrated. Gerwig doesn't deserve a sniff of the Best Director award and shouldn't have been nominated. But it's still a good film with a great script and mostly good acting.