What gave Scooby-Doo so much staying power that similar shows (like Jabberjaw) lacked?

What gave Scooby-Doo so much staying power that similar shows (like Jabberjaw) lacked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ToU0k1bsg10
youtube.com/watch?v=B5qHFnm30d4
youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1pf0Xi3nU
youtube.com/watch?v=hTq6nwO4oJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Like many other things, it simply came first.

They lacked the heart that Scooby-Doo had. Jabberjaw was like the same show mixed with the Archies.

Jabberjaw is a scooby doo ripoff like a lot of shows at the time. Scooby Doo was first, and made an impact when it came out.

WHAT DOES SCOOBY DOO THAT WE NEGLECT?!

No Shaggy or Scooby, even in the original they pretty much carried the show which had the right amount of comic relief shenanigans and a mystery going on, the other shows tried to mix around with the formula but couldn't improve upon what was already perfect as it was

ME AND MY FRIENDS GET NO RESPECT

literally what the fuck is jabberjaw

aside from dragon ball z. giant size x-men and new teen titans, how many properties actually have the second iteration be the more successful one?

Stupid question but can something be really considered a ripoff if it's created by the same people?

A scooby-doo clone with a shark

underage

I wish Jabberjaw made more appearances in scooby doo media
youtube.com/watch?v=ToU0k1bsg10
youtube.com/watch?v=B5qHFnm30d4

Sure, can't see why not

Captain America.

Green Lantern and the Flash

Shrek 2, Full Metal Alchemist, and Hellsing come to mind.

I'd argue that the second kung fu panda was also better than the first.

thanks! honestly forgot about most of these.

it's rare to find a franchise that would remake something that barely has any connection to the original and be considered a hit/it's own thing.

Dynasty Warriors

What makes him so funky?

>underage
> 1976

old ass nigga.

>if you don't know a show that stopped airing 40 years ago your underage

WE PUTTING ALL OUR FOES IN CHECK

He's been around since 1776 and lived in a run- down mansion all that time. Motherfucker probably reeks.

>It's reached a point where the only recognizable Hanna-Barbera characters are Scoody Doo and Tom and Jerry
>Most recent Scoody series failed miserably
>Tom and Jerry regulated to shitty direct to DVD movies

How long until Hanna-Barbera are forgotten about completely?

MGS2
GTA3

SO WHAT?

WHO CARES?

LUCKY FOR YOU I'M A FISH LOVER

I'm pretty surprised that they haven't tried to turn Fred or Velma into a negro yet.

I can actually kinda see a black Shaggy working.

Timeless character design and a premise which can be easily adapted into different times.
Just look at it, it was made in the 70's and the way they dress never really changed drastically. It doesn't look very 70's at all.

Okay, now tell me how many people you see wearing bell bottom pants, ascots, long sleeve skirt length dresses, large sweaters, or pleated skirts these days. You take a look at their designs, and even the sheer amount of orange screams '70s styles.

Let's be honest the1988 show is the only good one.

Night of the living doo is great.

The only bad one is get a clue

Probably never, even if they go completely out of business and no HB show is made again, the older iterations are so ingrained in the public consciousness that they will never go away entirely.

A FUCKING TALKING DOG!

Yatterman.

It's funny how these sketches have more personality than the characters in the actual show.

>Timeless character design
>fred
>daphne
What did he mean by this?

Shit, I must have blacked out 2006-2008, because I have no memory of that. Fucking Mandela.

They were designed in the 60s.

>2006-2008
I try to forget. Velma was still waifu material in her two episode appearances.

>insert jojo reference here

「Rog? Where?」

While the 1988, 2006, and 2015 versions are the only bad ones, they are just so bad they have a serious impact on the whole franchise.

On that show, only Scooby and Shaggy appeared on all episodes.
And it only has 14 episodes.

More Sup Forums than Sup Forums, but Street Fighter II, Mega Man 2, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

>thinking Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue had any kind of impact

If SDMI hadn't come along the franchise would likely be dead now. (Come to think of it that may be the reason we got SDMI in the first place...)

Was the third kung fu panda any good? I haven't seen it yet.

I think it really is this.
Their clothes never look too out of fashion.

Not that many but more than most 70s fashions.

Jabberjaw was much like Scooby doo, but with a band like all other Scooby ripoffs, but they lived in an underwater civilization going from city to city fighting villains that wanted to conquer the underwater world.
And instead of a dog, the mascot was a great white shark.

Daaayum Marcus. You got fat.

Mystery Inc. is good for it's own merits, not because it was better than a predecessor.

Only if you turn Scooby into a Rottie or a Pitbull.

isn´t the 88 version and the 02 version in the same continuity?

All that ocean and they didn't even wear swimsuits

I'm saying that if Get a Clue wasn't so bad the suits wouldn't have suddenly gone for the continuous mystery route instead of something like WN 2.0, especially considering the level of writing talent you need to pull off an SDMI.

Not whether MI was good or bad on its own, or in comparison.

What the fuck is that art style from the most recent one? It looks like hot garbage

Isn´t there a anime where all the badguys from the different series have a race and they are literally the same trio with different outfits racing each others?

The reruns were on Cartoon Network for as late as 2006, youngfags

Daphne is superior to Velma.
You are free to fight me on this point, but know that I will fight to the death

Me and my friends get no respect.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1pf0Xi3nU

Scooby Doo nailed the character designs and their dynamics. Each character has a distinct personality and role that offer enormous potential in the way they play off of each other. Even if you had never seen an episode of Scooby Doo before you could probably guess what kind of character they were just by looking at him.
Fred- broadchested, head held high, clean cut i.e. the natural leader
Velma- short hair, glasses, stocky, 'school clothes' i.e. the smart one
etc...

Say what you want about the series in general, but the characters are enduring for a reason. They tap into meaningful archetypes that transcend the time period they were created in.

Still mad about Be Cool.

I'm mad that image omits like 4 different shows before Pup Named even existed.

Can you prove that MI is how it was because of S&SD and not because that's just the show they wanted to make?

I am endorsing this post.
Good taste my friend.

Can you prove anything happened in the backrooms? Probably not.
It's an educated guess, that's it.

>Full Metal Alchemist
>Hellsing
If you mean Brotherhood and Ultimate, those were remakes more in line with the original manga, brought on by the success of the original anime.

So it's more like the second iteration was good enough to bring back the first iteration as the third iteration, but in a format people actually gave a shit about.

go to bed grandpa

I see you are also a man of taste and culture.

It looks a lt worse than it was, and didn't look as bad in motion.

I mean, technically it's not the second iteration, but I believe FiM has been way more successful than previous generations.

Thicc Velma

Incredibly underrated.

Also MTM is fucking great when the episode is funny.

jabber jaw was a ripoff. Hannah barbera was chasing success, which never works

scooby doo was actually memorable

Yeah, an OVA they made in the 90s. They're all competing to see who gets to the stars of the second OVA episode.

It was the original. But merely saying that is selling the show short. I unironically and honestly believe that the original Scooby Doo is a classic show and a GOOD classic show at that.

The backgrounds are detailed and atmospheric. The BGM is a long, continuous track that is easy on the ears and skillfully done. The character designs are timeless and godtier. All four protagonists show their personality in their design/clothing, and changing that to be more "modern" is a downgrade (Scooby is a doggo so nothing to say here, but notice that his body language and shape reflect his cowardly nature. Again a reflection of artistic skill). The Mystery Machine itself is an icon.

The stories work and endured because they are like a scary story a little kid would imagine. It is a "horror" show a 6 year old who hasn't seem an actual horror movie imagines them to be. THAT is the key to the mystery. It is frightening in a silly way, it is scary but fun, and everything resolves itself in the end. The formulaic nature of the show ADDS to its value. Yes, MI was great and so was Zombie Island, I like both quite a bit - but I pray no faggot ruins this show permanently due to sheer incompetence and egotism.

From the elder godtier intro onward, this is pure gold.

youtube.com/watch?v=hTq6nwO4oJU

*chuckles*

Green Lantern

I thought it was just ok

I think they were mostly focusing on ones with the whole group.

Zombie Island is the greatest Scooby-Doo movie ever made.

In the case of Scooby Doo I think it owes alot of its staying power to the general idea of simple but effective, for example the character's have simple recognizable personalities with a degree of adjustability to them, Fred is a brave leader sometimes he is abit dumb and impulsive sometimes he's clever and col headed but most portrayals have him recognizably as Fred.

The plots are also usually somewhat simple, gang runs into some kind of intrigue while looking into something else, they investigate encounter a stange phenomena or being, investigate further, someone almost always Fred propses a trap, something goes awry Scoobie and or Shaggy cause shenanigan's, turns out the strange events were caused by an individual trying to scare away others for personal gain, this formula lends itself well to many stories and allows a great degree of flexibility for the cast and the issue of the week.

I feel these simple but highly adjustable factors made it easy for Scooby Doo to keep a sort of relevance many other shows lacked, it can be updated without taking away the spirit of the original or changing things and they are so simple already that only big un-need shake up would really cause any issue

>Fullmetal Alchemist
God, am I the only one who liked the first nime they did better? Everyone always gushes over Brotherhood, it gets all the refrences and you can find it online, but I absolutely hate it. Maybe it's because I hadn't read the manga, but the first one had a tighter narrative, more ominous and mysterious tone, a better villain, and while it didn't lack it, a lot less 'lolrandumb humor'. Literally the first season of Brotherhoods anime is a TTG style spoof/recap of a better show.
Eh, guess I'm sleep deprived.

Bad art, but most of the jokes are pretty entertaining from what I've seen

The villain was always the second person they met in the episode unless there was a butler.
Then the butler did it.

If you don't know every piece of animation in the past 55 years you are a casual

The third part of JoJo is the first one to be actually popular.

Fuck, I miss What's New.