How the fuck does agriculture work in westeros with such fucked up seasons?

How the fuck does agriculture work in westeros with such fucked up seasons?

why do you think they make such a big deal out of winter is coming?

Mass Starvation and plants specifically adapted to winter, like the aformentioned named winter wheat.

Winters usually last one or two years, occasionally 3 or four. Most wars stop during winter time, canibalism is unheard of in the north.

Grains keep if you freeze them. You just need to harvest enough for years of rationing. Basically, there should be fields and fields and more fields everywhere. Not an inch of fallow land.

Highgarden
Too bad we had a pathetic representation of it on the show

They stockpile food for the winter, and a lot of people still starve to death.

I don't think you or GRRM understand the effects of a long winter.

Winters are generally short, and its unclear how much arable land is unusable during them. Longer winters fuck shit up and lead to mass starvation. Regular events like that due to irregular seasons could explain why the continent is so stagnant. Also It's common for old people in the north to wander off into the woods to die in winter so they don't have to be fed.
And probably some very convenient shit about crops that can grow in colder climates and store for years that hasn't been explained, idk.

I don’t think you understand the details of the fictional winters in a magical land.
Like isn’t snow King’s Landing a big deal, signifying a drastically more harsh winter?

How do wild animals fare? Where do they keep domesticated animals? What are they feeding them with?

I guess the extended summers make it easy to build up a stockpile of food.

He doesn't understand shit. What you need to understand is that GRRM is a complete fucking retard when it comes to anything mildly scientific, which is the reason for warlord dwarfs and billions of gold coins.

Sorry, "isn't unheard of"

The bankers own all of Westeros.

Theres a reason the North fears and revers the winter. Its fucking brutal. So brutal they made myths about it calling it the long night where zombied eat children. Hint its code for canibbalism when the cold hits so hard families eat theit weakest members just to surive.

Plus most north castles are built around hot springs and they use thosr as greenhouses.

Also they stock up on food during the year long summers.

Good thing it's fiction, r-right user?

Repeated crops can be grown during summer since it's years long.

This is why winter is such a big deal. The continent has to stockpile majorly to survive the winters.

Where the show is now and the books will never actually arrive at is a point where the wars have depleted almost all food resources and piling that on top of old man winter will take the population down to like a tenth of what is was.

How so they even measure years? When they claim winter lasts between 5-8 years. How the fuck do they know what a year even is?

>made-up fantasy world where dragons and ice zombies exist and generations of inbreeding creates uber-hot people instead of non-functional, potato-tier retards
>getting this autistic about agricultural realism in said world

Fuck this gay earth.

They don't, there's also lots of ancient alien tier shit going on with the black stone and hints here and there about it being in the same universe as his other books. He has done other stories set in a medieval world which is actually the future of a sci-fi world.

>this fantasy series about dragons and ice zombies isn't hard sci-fi enough for me

Faggot

But he is sure to make goddamn sure we know what the fuck the King's Landing tax plan is by god.

We have no fucking clue just how the ecosystem is supposed to work when it is frozen for most of a decade over and over again. How there are volcanoes in a world that does not have the necessary materials to make gunpowder at all, or how one can claim a winter lasts 7 years when the winter itself should be the metric for a single year, but we know goddamn well what the tax policy is.

>How the fuck do they know what a year even is?
A year in their time is 6 months in our time.

>doesnt get the joke

there's this thing called sky

Dawn is created from space rock.

I don’t think there’s ever been mention of astronomy

one of the chains the maesters can earn is from astronomy

I'm sure some random edgelord on Sup Forums writes better fantasy than GRRM.

Can you name a single civilization that has ever measured their calendar based on star movements?

All of them. The sun is a star. :^)

And the sun works wonky there, with the uneven seasons

no it doesn't, GRRm said the seasons is magic

we are talking about the autist that criticized Tolkien for not explaining Aragorn's tax policy for fuck's sake.

A summer that lasts just a year would mean like 4 harvests, they have just gigantic agricultural surplus during summer and live off of it during the winters duh. The most unrealistic part of game of thrones is the fact that all the peasants arent fat as fuck after 10 years of summer.

The moon exists so they probably have a lunar calendar.

What's with Sup Forums's retarded nitpicking of these series. These are just petty and most of them just don't make sense.

I agree, only based GRRM is allowed to criticize fiction while his own masterworks are beyond reproach

Yeah it's perfectly permissible for him to shit on Tolkien for not going in-depth about Aragorn's tax policy and if he holocausted orcs in their 'little orc cradles' and also called him dishonest for not depicting sexual violence but everyone knows GRRM's own works are beyond criticism because it's just fantasy with dragons bro.

>we are talking about the autist that criticized Tolkien for not explaining Aragorn's tax policy for fuck's sake.

This. If he hadn't said that it would be fine to just handwave everything with ITS FANTASY BRO DON'T USE YOUR BRAIN

Do you even realize how retarded that sounds?

Pretty good in the summer.

this but unironically

OPs stupid question was already answered with the first post and is repeatedly answered correctly. You're purposely being obtuse and ignoring them and making this about making about GRRM apologism.

Just barely, and with the irregular seasons, no stable way of gathering food is available, resulting in the continuation of feudal society and the prevention of Westeros advancing.

The southern parts of the continent can still produce shit. The north should be fucking barren though.

The only right answers

Ancient Egyptians used to use how high Sirius was in the sky for theirs.

How the fuck does anything work in one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the Stark boy and his future girlfriend from house Targaryen as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Martin vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody? Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his books. The Game of Thrones series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Martin's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of A Song of Ice and Fire by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Game of Thrones at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Game of Thrones" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

that pic never fails to make me laugh

don quixote is such a good book

Do you realize that The count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables were the equivalent of a shit TV show that is full of fillers to make the history longer so it can sell newspaper?

They are ok tier, maybe if they were a little short they might be above average.

Not even going to start arguing about the rest of the list because it isn't worth it. But Victor Hugo and Dumas really trigger me.

They stockpile in Summer, and in Winter they grow what they can in Highgarden/The South and ship it North. Many of the Northern castles have greenhouses and shit too just for Winter. You also have to remember that Westeros is fucking retarded huge for a medieval state to rule so they have access to a ridiculous amount of arable land compared to a real historical example. Even with all that Winter still decimates the population and fucks everyone hard. The Starks favorite line exists for a reason.

The real question is how the Free-Cities survive, Braavos should be utterly fucked 10 ways from Sunday in Winter.

I want to add to this; both the Wildlings and Dothraki would be totally fucked too. Basically any society that isn't spending the Summers stockpiling and preparing for Winter is gonna have a bad time in the GoT world.

The real question is how the dothrakis survive.

newfag

Braavos is Trade Central. It would be impossible for them to not have food. Free cities are sparsely populated and small and very far from each other. They just close their gates and hibernate. Half of Essos isn't on the same side of the equator.