Why does Sup Forums downplay the importance of representation in media?

why does Sup Forums downplay the importance of representation in media?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ghetto004/status/966329802759294976
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because there's no positive representation of the fat, pathetic, pedophilic, virgin, manchild losers that browse here in the media.

There's Kevin Smith, but other than that you're mostly spot-on.

It's just not fair

It's important, but minority actors do not make a movie good.

Also, when the fuck are Asians gonna get theirs? I can name like thirty black actors, there are only like five mainstream asian actors. You'd think if anyone was complaining it'd be them.

where is my short super hero? Im 5'2" and never grew up with a strong short role model

/r/asianmasculinity is currently working hard on funding that as we speak, top bugmen

Kevin Smith is always happy in his movies though, how can Sup Forums relate?

I know right!

>people getting their role models from fictional characters

these people will be complaining at successful people in the future because their ideal was some idiot in a costume

for realism, the kids should be behind bars

Actually thats an african person not a mixed breed mutt like your afro-american ass.

This image is perpetuating gender stereotypes and roles.

Corporations.

It’s not important you fucking dimwit. It’s utterly irrelevant to quality and enjoyment. Casting a white person to play Nelson Mandela or Saddam Hussein would be a stupid move, casting a black guy as King Arthur is retarded.

truth

Because if audiences can only identify with characters that are the same race as them, then Hollywood absolutely should continue going after the majority by making white lead movies in order to maximize their profits. Movies aren't a charity. They don't owe minorities shit. They owe their investors returns on their investments.

Thing is, people can identify with a character even if they're not the same race, which is why representation is pointless, but also why Hollywood doesn't have to make only white lead movies. Something like Black Panther can work obviously.

Personally I agree with the importance of it. My only real issue lies in how the modern idea of representation operates. Historically it was more a mindset of "why am I not represented? Let me do something to get my voice out there", especially in comics. Static, while not the most mainstream super hero, is a relatively popular hero that literally only exists because black comic fans wanted to get some better representation for them out there. My problem is the modern mindset of "this thing that has existed for years should change entirely to represent me". Black Panther is an example of how you should do representation better. Taking a minority character and giving them a spotlight and seeing if the mainstream takes a liking to them. The problem is the "make Link a girl" or "make Superman black" bullshit

wtf i love niggers now

This. Where is the alt-right representation in movies?

Blackwashing is dumb as shit, I agree. However it's nice for minority actors to get some clout so if a film taking place in a predominately black/asian/indian/whatever setting is being made they don't have to shoehorn in a couple of white leads and write the film around them to get funding.

Representation in media happens naturally due to capitalism.

Why is Hollywood segregating children's movies and porgwars? That's the question you should be asking.

I am slavic and I think we don't have enough positive representation in media. If only we had something like black panther for slavs,maybe I would have been the next Elon Musk.

that nose

Inherently racist concept because it implies that it's impossible to enjoy foreign cinema because they look different than you. Also, it didn't stop white kids from liking Blade. Liberals truly can't see past race, its ridiculous.

This is a mexican nation blacks should not be in all the media.

Why are drumpflings so violent? Is it because they can't make arguments like grown ups?

why are there black guys there?

I have nothing against Black Panther, but representation is a trash concept.
How pathetic do you have to be to rely on actors to "represent" you? Even more pathetic when they have to be colored the same way. Just work on your personal success. No one needs representation.

Taxi Driver

>why does Sup Forums downplay the importance of representation in media?
I suspect it's a reaction to people who overplay it.
If you look at responses from non-review sources to movies they're all about political statements on movies.
But really. Consider a world where you hadn't heard about identity politics at all, Trump and his wall or things the movie actually brings up. You would really view this as a politically charged movie.

That's why I dislike it usually. But I don't oppose representation in movies.

Personally, it was a false idol, I craved representation as a child. And when I got it I found the characters wanting or in the case of a character I really liked got super disappointed when I realized my tubby light skinned ass would never be Wesley Snipes. Eventually I grew a bit bitter and overcompensating, then I tried not to be so caught up in the mindset and just enjoy shit I thought was cool.

Nonpersonally, Identity politics on the internet just bring out the worst kind of faggots.

lmao

>Also, when the fuck are Asians gonna get theirs?
Asians don't have representation?
They have tons of cool movies. Most aren't in English but still.

Because it's racist.

Because people needing corporate media to self identify is cancer.

Dint believe every tweet you read user.

If it's so important that you see people who look like you in movies then surely ethnic minorities don't begrudge white people for making movies with white actors since it is important that people see people who look like them in movies.

the missing step in the moral argument for SJWs is that they never explain why it is the obligation of white people to make movies for black people.

He's a giant Samoan man. They love fighting.

spics would get exterminated in a race war, learn your place juarez

>watching Black Panther at the movies
>intense fighting scene between protag and antag
>slouch down my seat and yell, "YO, THIS NIGGA FINNA DABBED ON"
>everyone laughs
>black guy sucks his teeth and says, "You aight, white boy"
>Hear "He cute" from one of the girls

fpbp

You think Sup Forums is white?

good post

based

Black Panther and most films with a predominately black cast are made by black directors with Jewish funding though.

if you need some fictional characters that are the same race as you to inspire you in real life then you deserve to fail in life. It's pathetic beyond the point of embarrassing.

based

Go ahead and think that. It's okay, you're wrong.

American movie theaters must be so much fun.
You can watch alone in your home if you want a good viewing experience but here everyone shuts up. They usually don't even bring snacks. It's just a quiet viewing experience.
I'm sure there's lots of flavor in which theater you go to in the US.

Yeah if you have a problem with an all black Lord of the Rings you're fucking pathetic.

just incase you're serious, pictures of Sup Forums meetups are not representative of the ethnic makeup of Sup Forums because there is a bias whereby white Sup Forums posters will be far , far less likely to turn up to a Sup Forums meet up because there is a much greater risk that they get publicly labeled as a neonazi than if an east asian or mestizo person attended a Sup Forums meet up.

You would have been able to work this out yourself if you were not a brainlet.

We don't downplay it, we argue that it isn't important.

It's Brave New World tier ideology. What matters is the colours of faces in films. Fuck off.

that was kind of out of nowhere. are you autistic?

>>if you have a problem with a great movie being remade for no reason in far inferior quality then you're fucking pathetic

uh huh

holy fuck based, wish i was there T B H

It's not important. I don't get what's good about people preferring their own race, which is what naturally happens when races are treated as groups that you belong to for having been born a certain race. Race should be as important as your hair color.

>I'm 5'2"
>never grew up
oh hohohhOHOHOOHHO

Kek truth

that's why it's so funny

BTFO PERMANENTLY

Yeah because race is just a skin colour. What an absolutely baffling reductionist argument.

So Sup Forums is definitely white but all the white people are gigantic pussies because muh discrimination? That sure bodes well for them becoming anything more than the butt of a joke.

and the gold mental for mental gymnastics goes to...

>there's an actual leftist group dedicated to punching people with views deemed unsavory

>the right is the violent side

How come it's the most retarded asshats who browse this place? The point of fantasy is to live an adventure that otherwise would not be possible. What do you think self-inserting means?

Liberals hate that concept, hence their fight to make everybody as ugly and fat as them, because otherwise they feel threatened and challenged, they want the standardization of ugliness. As for the OP strawman, see pic related. That's what happens when you give an inch.

right , made by studios where the vast majority of producers and staff and crew are white or jewish

If it's so important for black people to see black people in movies then why don't they make their own movies by their own studios like madea or something?

It isn't anyone else's moral obligation.

With a narrative along the lines of "look what whities prevented from being a reality" or some other anti-white propaganda.
Point out where (((white))) media has been as openly anti-anyone else as this outside of the actualmedia.

>So Sup Forums is definitely white
Have you ever seen one of their ancestry thread?
Le 56% is the best case scenario

Sup Forums is not a pathetic nigger, that's why

Wolverine is 5'3"

>representation
You mean niggers. It's always niggers.

Hi /leftypol/. When does your shift end?

Because I'm smart enough to relate to feelings, thoughts and actions instead of skin color.

I do not care about representation, for example if the blacks want their own movies, fine, they've had their own movies for decades now, some of them are even good. What I am sick of is over-representation, e.g. blacks in European historical dramas, white characters turning black, half the cast being made black when they are not even 5% of the population then praising the show for being "diverse".

Truth to be told, that actress is le 50%.
IIRC, she was criticized to be too.. white for Hotel Rwanda.

Because in Eastern Europe and Asia we learned after 60 years of Communist propaganda that representation in movies doesn't have any value except towards completely retarded people who prefer to live a fantasy than fix themselves in reality. In that aspect we are ahead of you.
Next question OP.

lol but white people always play as other races in movies

>niggers get their role modes from shitty marvel capeshit flicks
can't make this shit up

Funny, you automatically assumed I'm a white boi from America that hates blacks. I'm a brownie from Southeast Asia.

>why don't they make their own movies
But they are. And we'll be getting more after the critical and commercial success of Black Panther. Are you upset? Perturbed maybe?

go ahead and accelerate the problem. we feed off each other

Black guy here, and I feel like I gotta weigh in. Why is representation so fucking important? Out of all the movies I like, most of which star white people, I can't imagine that I'd like them even more if they starred blacks instead. When I was a kid I never took black actors or black people in important professions as role models. I never thought, "Oh, they're black just like me! That means I can do what they can do!" I honestly don't understand why people are like this. But the media is eating this shit up with a silver spoon! Because as long as they cast blacks and women in roles that don't necessitate them, they'll get huge audiences and guaranteed critical acclaim because if you don't go see the movie and rate it high, you're a sexist and a racist! Which means more money for the people in charge. It's all just a racket. I'm sick of it.

nothing but facts twitter.com/ghetto004/status/966329802759294976

The main objection to a black Lord of the Rings is that fictional magic people """should""" be white because Tolkien wrote the books as "a mythology for England." If the English need their precious fake mythological heroes to be white like them then they're, in your words, beyond the point of embarrassing.
The original still exists. If there's profit to be made in a remake that the free market demands, then let the demand be met you capitalism hating brainlet.

Iron Man

Because they're not black guys. They're just guys.

WE

Another fact to spoil your bubble:
The south has more minorities per capita than the lily white north.

No go on, tell me more about your counter-argument. Which specifically of my claims and deductions are you claiming is incorrect?

Are you disagreeing that a white person pictured attending a Sup Forums meetup has a much higher risk of being publicly labeled as a neo nazi white supremacist than the asian and mestizo people you see in Sup Forums meet up pictures?
Are you disagreeing that this risk will be a negative incentive and cause white people to be less likely to attend Sup Forums meet ups or less likely to join in group pictures at those events relative to non-white Sup Forums users?

You must have a really great counter argument to these inferences so please don't deprive us of your insights.

You fucking moron.

Ouch user that hurts.
I really liked Spider-Man: The Animated Series and held many aspirations similar to those of Peter Parker. Never being on time due to more pressing matters was my primary concern judging from how things turned out.
You must realize that this is about kids.

people don't want a white LOTR because it'll "inspire them" or because they like white characters. It's because they're all white in the canon. I'm sure the same people would be against an all-white black panther remake.

>dude le black guys are just like us!!11
_donald
kill yourself

Please, explain what race means beyond a level of melanin. I'm sure you have a variety of scientific studies at hand to tell us what race really means.

theyʻre clearly black

>American movie theaters must be so much fun.

It depends which movie you're watching.

this fact does not refute what I wrote in whatsoever you idiot.

racist. I don't see color.

based af

>The success of European countries and predominantly white colonies in North America comes directly from the exploitation of conquered African people and the looting of their resources.