Why do Hollywood feel the need to rape old manga and anime that really doesn't need to be raped?

Why do Hollywood feel the need to rape old manga and anime that really doesn't need to be raped?

This looks like absolute garbage, whereas the manga and OVA were excellent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TQUKaqrGOz0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

honestly this movie looks weird enough to work

anime was a mistake

what manga and anime in your opinion need to be raped?

Nothing. Remakes are cancer in every way. If it's already been put on screen, leave it be.

The original material is way too gritty for a modern Hollywood remake.

Anime had balls in the 80s. Now it's just endless fan service trash for otakus, instagram whores to cosplay to, and faggots.

It's not a remake, it's an adaptation. Gunnm has never been shown on American screens; not in theaters and not even on TV. You're making your own case against you.

Yes it has, it has a fucking English dub.

The anime is utter shit though, it has never been claimed to be anything but trash.

Even the Manga nerds dont give a fuck about this one.

this

they're trying to force anime/manga movies to be the next capeshit
the difference is the community doesn't want this shit, so it doesn't get fanboy money

The OVA is fucking rushed garbage with a mixed together story.

The manga is GOAT grimy scrappunk violence.

hollywood doesnt do original ideas anymore. everything is either an adaptation or a sequel

This flick has been in production for longer than you've been alive, Sup Forums
Sadly the guy that would have made it good caught the avatar bug and gave it to a hack thats only made 1 good film

Considering the OVA came out after I was born, I doubt it.

But it does look like hot garbage for something that's been in development hell for so long. And they're using actors with little to no experience.

Apparently they're letting go of the whole Alita getting an adult soldier body that's a remnant of the apocalyptic war thing and only using her teenage body.

>But it does look like hot garbage for something that's been in development hell for so
Cameron was "waiting for the tech" to make it look right, but for some reason he gave it to that hack
>And they're using actors with little to no experience.
Classic spic just hiring his extended family like for everything else hes done

An english dub that was never shown in theaters or broadcast on TV.

Let's cut to the heart of the issue: you feel that you're an intellectually superior because you already know about an obscure Japanese "arthouse" production and you want everyone to know that this makes you more sophisticated and more mature than them. The idea of an adaptation threatens this inflated self-worth you have allowed yourself to be infested by, so you will shit talk the adaptation and actively suppress the spread of this wonderful material you claim so boldly to love.

You don't want anyone else to know about this thing because it devalues what little character you think you have.

>every single sourcefag whenever there's an adaptation in the works

The adaptation won't hurt the original work. You'll be fine. Breathe.

>Projection: The Post

No, I just don't want heresy.

It is James Cameron's dream project he's been trying to make for 20 years. If you think this has any chance of failing, you've got brain damage.

Not failing =!= being good

>1 good film
Predators and Shark Boy are the closest things you can consider missteps from Rodriguez. The guy makes balls to the walls entertainment inconstantly. Jim chose him for a reason.

*surpasses kino*

Cast them.

he gave it away so he could work on more avatar movies

>doubting James Cameron
>doubting Robert Rodriguez
It's like you people enjoy being wrong over and over.

Kate Beckinsale as lust

anime and manga are fucking gay as shit this will be better regardless how awful it is

Ok then, let's see you make your case.

You don't want Alita to be made because, as you said earlier, it's been adapted already and is good enough as it is. Let's look at the numbers.

Right now, Gunnm is sitting at an 7.3/10 on MAL with fewer than 19k people saying they watched it.

That's fewer than 19k people who've seen an anime adaptation since 1993. Even among those 19k, the vast majority of them rated the adaptation as a 7/10 or below. To summarize

>almost no one has seen it
>those who have seen it gave it a lukewarm rating
>therefore, according to you, it does not deserve another adaptation by a different creative team in a different time for a different audience

I look forward to your (you) where you call me a faggot and run away.

is this another weeb in denial needs a live action anime adapation episode

Who the fuck is talking about the piece of shit OVA? I'm talking about the manga.

Exposure is not always good. Some things are better left alone.

List of things that Hollywood likes:
>Making money
>pushing agendas
>making money by pushing agendas
>pushing agendas that make them money
>Pedophilia
>Cocaine
List of things it doesn't like:
>America
>Trump
>Risk
Acquiring the rights to, and cannibalizing properties that are already tangential to the public eye, and/or that have already proved successful in other mediums is always a safer bet than developing brand new IPs from scratch.

so accurate

I wish brainlets never discovered Freud. Projection is when you accuse someone of doing something you yourself are doing. This guy's accusing you of thinking you're superior because you know about the original anime. Are you saying that actually he thinks he's superior because he knows about the original anime? Are you saying that actually he's the one who is shittalking adaptations? We never should have let brainlets discover Freud.

>I-I-I'm talking ab-bout the manga!
>English dub
>it's already been put on screen

Nice backtracking or, if those weren't you, nice not reading the response chain.

What does this even mean? Even the absolute worst adaptations do no harm to their source material. Adaptations are NOT their source material, nor do they replace them. The source material already exists in all the acclaim it will ever have had by the time an adaptation comes around. There are three general outcomes to an adaptation of already decent source material:

>the adaptation is good, and the source material gets a boost in attention. Win for fans of the new adaptation and the source material since more of both become more probable.
>the adaptation is mediocre, and the source material still exists. Win/win since new adaptations are only likely if put in the hands of a more capable team, and source material remains untouched.
>the adaptation is dog shit, and the source material is seen as even better by comparison. Still a win/win since more creatives will be hungry to take their shot at it and the fanbase of the original will be very vocal about it.

What's the downside of an adaptation?

>What's the downside of an adaptation?
Normies.

I don't know why Sup Forums cares so much. 95% of Sup Forums wasn't even alive when Battle Angel Alita was published. All Sup Forums knows about anime is what they learned from Adult Swim. Sup Forums couldn't pick out a Hard Suit out of a lineup if their life depended on it.

Fucking weebs be mad as FUCK
get over it fags. your favorite work is next BTFO CHINK LOVERS we're gonna destroy it all you fuckers ahahahahaahahaha japan is ours

Guess what, faggot? To a lot of people, you're the normies.

How do normies affect the source material? Are they going back and rewriting it? Are the burning all the older editions and banning any rendition not translated by a normie? What is your concern here other than you don't want anyone in your little walled garden of masturbatory self-celebration?

Imagine if the Rick and Morty crowd started wanking over your favorite obscure movie. It'd be painful. But I imagine you're too autistic to care about such things.

I guess you're sort of right about the autistic part since I don't give a shit about fanbases or fan communities. Weird, I know I'm not supposed to like a movie unless the cool kids do.

Again, to a lot of us, you faggots are the Rick and Morty crowd, but you refuse to see it that way. We had our nice little hobby, then Toonami came along and got all you faggots watching anime we all saw and had to import 10 fucking years prior. We had you assholes running around now, not to mention every fucking nigger that went gay for Vegita. It's YOUR fault, Sup Forums, you and your shitty generation.

You're right not to give a shit about already established fan communities, but you're not right to not be pissed off if they threaten your territory. It's like being culturally cucked.

You can't really complain about anime and manga becoming more accessible. You can complain about it being bastardized, though.

Wait, who are we talking to/about here? I'm getting confused. I'm and I'm saying exactly what you're saying.

I'm talking to you. I'm saying you're right to not care about already established fanbases, such as the Rick and Morty crowd, Trekkies, whatever, but when the fanboys come for something you enjoy and want to bastardize not only it but also the metaculture that surrounds it, then you're fucking stupid for not being concerned.

I don't see this as an issue because the fans of the old material and the fans of the new adaptation are two entirely separate verbal communities. They don't inhabit the same spaces, they don't have the same conversations, and they don't exchange the same content. Unless you're on Reddit, in which case you deserve everything that happens to you.

Fans of the new adaption will be more vocal and more prominent than the old fans, and any discussion about the source material after the adaption has been released will always revert to a discussion of the adaption.

The only way this won't happen is if the source material is already known and loved by a lot of people, like with Ghost in the Shell. But that's not the case with Alita.

youtube.com/watch?v=TQUKaqrGOz0
doesn't look any better than Alita desu

it was shown on Saturday anime on sci-fi back in the late 90's.

Its easy to google some random shit from 20/30 years ago and remake it than to come up with something original

I agree
and Alien: Covenant is underrated

The bump in activity around an adaptation tends to be very temporary, though. The normies follow fads and don't stick around that long. More to the point, though...is a community worth preserving if it doesn't survive an influx of nondiscriminate activity? I feel like Avatar the Last Airbender is a prime example of this (not anime, I know, work with me here). That community almost imploded when the adaptation came around and I always look back on how fragile we all were to back into camps so quickly. The show is still great and far better than Nickelodeon deserved, but seeing the community break apart so easily just made me realize we had talked about everything there was to talk about by then and the casting controversy was the only interesting thing left.

As previously stated in this thread, we got Cameron and Rodriguez working on this one. It's "too big to fail". If it becomes a massive hit, the community that springs up with the adaption might overshadow the scrappy community that's established around the source material. And yes, that would be a bad thing, as there's no way a big Hollywood production can give Alita the treatment it deserves. The manga is outstanding.

You sure about that? I'm sure Netflix and HBO are fighting to the death courting James Cameron to do a series or two. With Netflix's growing lineup of "original" anime (and the need to repair their image after their Death Note adaptation), I see lots of reasons for Alita to potentially lead to big things even if it doesn't make $2 billion.

the old manga and anime shouldn't have dressed so provocatively.

Then they seriously have to step up their game. From the trailer, it looks like garbage. Alita is so uncanny it's off putting, and the CGI they used to make her look like that looks like a shitty webcam filter.

I think that's a universal opinion at this point. Her fucking face...I'm sure they've heard the reactions from the trailer. Under normal circumstances I'd say they'd focus group it until it passed but this is James Cameron. He'll probably make her eyes bigger just because he can.

>i'm le smart because i take things extremely literally when they've been abstracted and adapted to more general situations
typical Dunning-Kreuger