Wellington's beaten. He's bled to death. Now move the Old Guard forward. Then, on to Brussels

Wellington's beaten. He's bled to death. Now move the Old Guard forward. Then, on to Brussels.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHw3pkrY-A
youtube.com/watch?v=75RUPdkyqp0&t=85s
reddit.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*monologues in your path*

fucking prussians, you ruined everything.

>tfw we won't get war epics like this again

95% of Sup Forums hasnt seen this kino either

Think on England men! THINK ON ENGLAND! THINK! ON! ENGLAND!

*dies*

Poor Lord Hay

>tfw it's Prussians

>tfw no Napoleon by Kurbick

Cast him Sup Forums

STAND WITH ME !
STAND WITH ME !
ARE YOU FRANCE ?
ONE MORE HOUR ! WE HAVE THEM BEATEN !
DON'T YOU KNOW ME ?
I'M NEY !
NEY MARSHALL OF FRANCE !

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHw3pkrY-A

Idris Elba

hehe

>tfw no Napoleon by Snyder

Thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=75RUPdkyqp0&t=85s

>tfw no Napoleon by Michael Bay with line infantry equipped with heavy machine guns and rocket launchers

The fact that this film is based almost entirely on accounts of the real battle is all the proof you could ever need that scriptwriters are fucking hacks and reality IS better than fiction. The ball scene, Napoleon confronting his old army and winning them back in moments, the chrages and countercharges, Wellington sending his colours to the rear with no more reserves, the British line just holding the Old Guard off, the Prussians arriving last moment to save the day.

It's fucking glorious. It all actually happened

Except the Old Guard didn't break but yeah, aside from that, history is better than any fiction.

>The battle sequences of the film include about 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen as extras and 50 circus stunt riders were used to perform the dangerous horse falls. It has been joked that Sergei Bondarchuk was in command of the seventh-largest army in the world.

>Damn me Uxbridge... if I ever saw thirty thousand men run a race before. The whole line will advance!
>In which direction, Your Grace?
>Why straight ahead, to be sure.

>tfw can't hire cheap soviet troops anymore to act as an army that you don't even have to train

So they retreated in good order. They still failed (and they NEVER failed) The bit where they all get blasted by cannons at the end isn't real either, never understood why it was put in the film. Doesn't add anything.

MERDE!

Man fuck getting shredded by grape sized shotgun pellets.

>doesn't add anything
It's the kinoest part of the movie.
Also although it's narratively romanticized, it is true, the last squares of the Old Guard got blasted at close range after refusing to surrender (not THAT close but still).
There's actually heavy historical controversy about the terms of the refusal; many claim Cambronne said "La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas", other claim he said "Merde", Cambronne himself survived but heavily wounded and claimed he didn't remember what he said.
Also the Guard "retreated in good order" yes, but there's a bit more to it than that, it only retreated after the rest of the line infantry had broken or retreated behind the cover of the Old Guard.

Now maybe i can acquiesce to the rest of your post but this is far and away not the kinoest part of the movie. Are you really saying that its better than the single helicopter zoom out of the French cavalry charge on the British squares? Thats probably the most kino moment in the history of war kino.

Kinoest was maybe not the best term, it's not "better" than the most beautiful actions of the battle sure, but in terms of feels, it hits all the right spots.
Then again I'm French myself so I probably can't really be objective with this scene, but still. I can't watch it without feeling something.

Ah well now your feelings for this scene make a lot more sense. I understand, plenty of Brit patriotic films i love with moments like this.

Does anyone know how they managed to get the Soviets to lend them the Red army to reenact a campaign they weren't involved in? If the film had been called Leipzig I'd get it. I just don't understand what propaganda this had for the Russians.

Might have something to do with money or something I dunno

Napoleon and his invasion of Moscow was retoractively linked to Hitler and his invasion of Russia. They see all of the Napoleonic wars as a precursor to the "Great Patriotic War". Also i believe this film has some connection the Soviet Epic (and i mean as fucking epic as this film) War and Peace.

The worst part is that it's an fucking brit movie, my country can't even make a good Napoleon movie.
Austerlitz is a fucking snoozefest even if it has its moments, but the battle scenes are really pathetic compared to Waterloo.

IIRC, the producers signed a contract with a soviet production company who took a share of the profits and brought in the soliders, they never agreed directly with the Red army.
So I'd say there's probably some form or another of corruption under this.

How embarrassing.

How embarrassing.

nah this film is Russian/British/Italian i think mostly Russian/Italian at that. Dunno about the people playing the French characters but they did manage to get a lot of the best British actors of the era in it. How the fuck this ever got made is truly a mystery

I'm going to watch this now lads.
Cheers.

Yeah I oversimplified but the movie ends up in english is what I meant. I don't think there are a lot of French actors involved, a few minor characters like Napoleon's aide de camps, or probably Grouchy, but Napoleon, ney, etc... are all American. I mean Louis XVIII is played by fucking Orson Welles. Not that i'm complaining in the end because they almost all do a great job at their characters.

Be sure to grab at least the 12GB rarbg release, it's worth it (I'm redownloading it now, the 4 GB rips are really too bitstarved)

>no u
Sup Forums treating you okay, champ?

MERDE!

>coming to a thread to say "how embarassing" and bait about Sup Forums
You know sometimes it's best to just shut the fuck up and resist the urge of making fucking useless posts

You will not be disappointed. Even if you don't like anything else the visuals alone are absolutely spectacular

The Guard was awesome and just went a bit back, but they retreated. Orderly, courageously, like they great soldiers they were.
But they went back.

NOW SCOTS GREYS! NOW!

GUARD FUCKING SHITS

>Ney was seen during one of the charges beating his sword against the side of a British cannon in furious frustration. During the battle, he had five horses killed under him; and at the end of the day, Ney led one of the last infantry charges, shouting to his men: "Come and see how a marshal of France meets his death! It was as though Ney was seeking death, but death did not want him, as many observers reported.
>When Napoleon was defeated, dethroned, and exiled for the second time in the summer of 1815, Ney was arrested on 3 August 1815. After a court-martial decided in November that it did not have jurisdiction, he was tried on 4 December 1815 for treason by the Chamber of Peers. In order to save Ney's life, his lawyer Dupin declared that Ney was now Prussian and could not be judged by a French court for treason as Ney's hometown of Sarrelouis had been annexed by Prussia according to the Treaty of Paris of 1815. Ney ruined his lawyer's effort by interrupting him and stating: "Je suis Français et je resterai Français!" (I am French and I will remain French). On 6 December 1815, he was condemned, and on 7 December 1815 he was executed by firing squad in Paris near the Luxembourg Garden. He refused to wear a blindfold and was allowed the right to give the order to fire, reportedly saying:

>Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!

Dunno if English is your first language but "break" means ran away in complete disorder. When a unit "breaks" it loses all cohesion which the guard did not. You could say the rest of Napoleons army broke and it would be correct

*blocks ur path*

Was this the best visual likeness casting of all time?

Was sad at the end where that final scots grey gets hunted down in the mud.

I think soviets were very keen on supporting films around this time. They made a few war epics.

One thing I always hated about those movies was that there is a clear lack of extras, this is more obvious in Gettysburg with Picketts Charge looking it its only a few hundred confederates, gods a generals hides this better but you can still see it

The Old Man from Robocop

Like i said. The sov's connected Napoleons efforts with Hitlers years later. Napoleons invasion of Russia was a very defining moment in Russian history

>getting this triggered by supposedly weak "bait"
This isn't your discord server where sycophants suck your dick 24/7. You posted something stupid, somebody corrected you, and I made fun of you. You can cry about it or move along.

>implying he didn't die in 1846 in North Carolina under a false name
Look up the "Peter Stuart Ney" affair, really fascinating stuff.
It is my headcannon the he was smuggled to America by freemasons. I just can't accept that he lied for 15 minutes on the grounds of Paris while British officears were cheering around his corpse.
Of course we won't know until they deicde to open the grave in France, but there are really many concording clues : a guy with the same face, the same height, the same hair color, the same scars, with detailed notes about the Russia campaign found in his papers, died in 1846 and claimed on his deathbed that "Par tout ce qui est sacré, je suis Michel ney, Maréchal de France" before dying.
He was also positively identified by several soldiers memoirs who ended their lives in America.
But it's never been fully verified and the graves have never been opened (although the grave digger from the Père Lachaise swore until his last breath that the coffin was empty when the grave was moved in the 1920s).

Probably, it's really uncanny.

What the fuck are you on about shithead ? Can't you fuck off and let grwon ups enjoy a nice historical conversation ?

I sure hope Ney got away. He surely deserved better than a firing squad. Speaking of Napoleonic conspiracies, have you heard the one where they actually tried to rescue Napoleon from St. Helena to take him to South America and use him to form a United States of South America? It really happened, the boat to pick him up just arrived a few days after he died :(

>grown up
>thinks everything that happens in movies is real
Pick only one, buttblasted autist.

Yeah, i love the Revolutionary-Napoleonic-Restauration era, and conspiracies and freemasonery shenaniggans are a really fun pasttime.

Not him. Been in this thread a while and would love it if you just FUCKED RIGHT OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

You are right, we meant the same thing after all. I assumed you denied they went back.
"La Garde recule. Sauve qui peut!"

reddit.com/

Give me some leads to others pl0x.

I wasn't the first guy actually but i thought i spotted a linguistic misunderstanding

>Not if I have a say in it Franzosenschwein

It was just a bad assumption from my part.
In my language we say something very close to "break", too, because "in rotta", in the context of a troop/battle, means a very disordered retreat. And "rotta" means (in this context) "broken", especially a line of troops that does not hold and collapses catastrophically.

19 DAYS
D
A
Y
S
Oh no no no no...

Hmm Napoleon III also wanted to try that out, but got fucked over when the american civil war ended before he predicted and he had to withdraw his men.

Among my favorites, you have the ones surrounding the Battle of Valmy in the early Revolutionary ear.
Was the outcome of the battle fixed weeks in advance in super sikrit freemasons letters and meetings ?
There are a lot of controversies like this in the early revolution days because the late 18th-early 19th was really the golden era of the freemasonery, almost every single important historical character at the time was a member or close to members. Many events that are usually read as spontaneous might have been partly fixed by freemasons, from battles to debates to political coups.
If you want a very good summary of the best conspiracies of the time thought, read Jospeh Fouché by Stefan Zweig (and then a more academic biogrpahy) and any good Talleyrand biogrpahy. Read what you can online already, but these two guys are really the most cunning fuckers of their time.

*impregnates*

So you think there is deep Masonic influence in the entire outcome of the revolutionary/napoleonic wars? What was the end goal?

No I don't think there's "deep masonic influence" on the outcome of the period.
Freemasons at the time were not a uniform organisation, I mean lodges from different countries could very well have different and even conflicting interests.
But there's no denying that it often provided a semi official alternative to the classic diplomatic ways, and that freemasons secret correspondance thoughout Europe at the time was a thing, even and especially between countries at war.
It's impossible to deny the impact freemasonery had in many issues of the time and even in the diffusion of ideas in the upper sections of european societies, but i'm definitely not buying the big masonic conspiracy theory, they were way too divided for that to be possible.
It would be almost impossible to build an effective pyramidal hierarchy. I mean seeing the ideological rifts forming and closing every 3 months during the time period and the swift evolution of ideas at the time, it's probably one of the worst periods to try and build a hiveminded organisation.

I don't care what CGI defenders say - this looks better than any CGI I've ever seen in a movie.

You will never be able to go back after this.

Very interesting. In your opinion is there any credence to the theory that after the Napoleonic era the Russian Tsar blocked some major freemason/"illuminati"/secret society plans and that is what led to them getting revenge with the communist revolution? You seem well learned.

I don't know anything specific about this theory desu, so I don't have much to say about it, I've just heard about it nohting more.
But what you always have to remember is that yeah, secret societies are, in the end, nothing more than human organisation, and as such they are never as monolithic as they appear. Their goals and idelogical forms may change faster and more often than we suspect, since it's the entire pupose of being a super sikrit klub in the first place.
So even if some dudes claim they're plotting a revolution because the grandfather of the current tsar fucked off their plans a century ago, are they really the same guys, the actual ideological descendants of those they claim to be ? Already a tough question to answer in a political party, so in a secret society...

But once again, i have nothing specific about your theory, I don't know enough about the practical details and the specific dates of the Russian Revolutions anyway to have an educated opinion about it. But on secret societies and their mischiefs, that's basically my thought. They are subject to the same problems that plague non secret political organisation : division, change of ideas, etc...
So never overestimate their importance and never underestimate their potential complexity and internal conflicts, because it's always the best way to miss a part of the complexity of a situation in which they presumably had their hand.

problem there is paying them all: actual re-enactors who know their shit and love to be in these movies cost more than extras you just gear out and tell to take a fall running up a hill. even sub-par productions draw a line between 'extra' and 'professional re-enactor'.
t. knows his shit

Holy shit, a Waterloo thread? I guess Sup Forums might actually have some taste after all.

Yeah thats my line of thought on secret societies too. Thanks for your insight.

You should have seen it before when it was top of page one. Never would have thought.

you would think most of those guys would do it for free

That's because it's all filmed in shot.

It's a beautiful film, watched so many times as a kid with my dad and older brother. Now it's burned into my brain.

>>That Scotland Forever by Lady Butler recreation.

I think my fav scene is after the freakout by the blonde British Soldier and the music hits with the fly over/crane shots of the squares and smoke everywhere then cut to La Haye Sainte or the Hougoumont farm with the french approaching the walls and the fire on one of the builds intensifies and the gloom swallows the French.

>>I think my fav scene is after the freakout by the blonde British Soldier and the music hits with the fly over/crane shots of the squares and smoke everywhere then cut to La Haye Sainte or the Hougoumont farm with the french approaching the walls and the fire on one of the builds intensifies and the gloom swallows the French.
It is a really beautiful scene indeed. The farm burning while the soliders keep shooting at each other, the music and the noises of fire, it's a really great moment.

brah look at this dude ... wait till you see the ... AHAHAHAHA