Cool movie

Cool movie.
Especially that ending.

What's your favorite Bakshi work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-PGUQgfld0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've only watched Coonskin, Wizards, and Fire and Ice. As it stands Coonskin is my favorite hands down.

Fritz the Cat even though it's extremely flawed. I think American Pop is overall his best work.

>Climax
>Avatar and Blackwolf ready for a showdown
>Big wizard fight!
>"I'm glad you changed your last name, you son of a bitch"
>Just fucking shoots him
Didn't see it coming one bit. Neither did Blackwolf.

fucking this, wizards is epic
still pop in the vhs from time to time

Wizards is the only one I don't like at all, as far as animation and artstyle goes, Cool World is my favourite, unfortunately the story is insanely bad, the rest are pretty much ok, perhaps 'hey good lookin' is a bit above the rest.

All of Bakshi's works are good. Having a thread here is a step in the right direction

I love American Pop so much. This is my fav scene, fuckin hilarious

youtube.com/watch?v=f-PGUQgfld0

>Wizards is the only one I don't like at all, as far as animation and artstyle goes
Do you mean the regular artstyle and animation or the points with rotoscoped shit? Or both?

Saw it for the first time this weekend.
That ending blew my damn mind.

Mainly the story which didn't appeal to me at all, art was good, actually I would have preferred this more cartoony style of Wizards for Lord of the Rings.

The designs for the Nazgul are in Wizards for whatever reason

Sorry for misunderstanding you. And fair enough. I can see how it might not appeal to everyone. Anyone else curious about the original version of Hey Good Lookin'?

I have it on Blu-Ray. Kino.

>Anyone else curious about the original version of Hey Good Lookin'?

Curious sure, doubt it will be better though, much of the charm is the goofy side characters, having them be played by actors would be less interesting.

Also I was never impressed with the cartoon/actor interaction in Cool World which had a much bigger budget, so I doubt it would work well in Good Lookin.

Original version? Its been a while since i dug into bakshi and watched it, can you give me a quick rundown?

And lotr concept art.

Also, from an interview

>Look … as long as we’re live, which I’m happy about now … I can finally clear it up, let me tell you what I want to clear up okay? … You’re the biggest ‘Lord of the Rings’ network or website in the world, right? You have never interviewed me or spoke to me once or showed my artwork on your site. That’s not right. That just doesn’t make any sense to me. But we created the characters. We fought for the ‘Rings.’ If I didn’t show that the ‘Rings’ could be made—good or bad picture—there wouldn’t have been a live-action picture. I showed that there’s a movie in this.

>All of this I did and your website never discussed it.* … So I get very angry. Now Mr. Jackson took a lot from me, as he should have, because it was out there to take. I had nothing. And he never once called me to thank me, or to invite me to the set and ask my opinion: that’s not directorial. That’s not right. That’s terrible. The fact that it keeps coming up, that he once said ‘I inspired him,’ that’s just P.R. baloney. In the two thousand interviews he gave he never mentioned me once. So I want to straighten out why I’m angry.

>So here you show up and I’m 77 years old; and you suddenly want an interview. It stuns me, where you were all these years [aside to me] I’m not mad at you. And it stuns me at the arrogance of Mr. Jackson who never thanked me for what I had done — and the crew! The amazing job the crew did at a big budget of $4 million for the whole film — two hours. So we all worked very hard. So there’s my anger at you guys ’cause I don’t want to sit here pretending that it’s all great. Am I clear?”

He made it right after Coonskin and it would have featured a greater mix of animation and live action. WB shuttered it saying that in it's current state it wasn't fit for release, possibly due to it also having sensitive subject matter. What ended up being released was extremely edited, tons of the dialogue was rewritten and they got rid of the live action bits.
Not much would have changed with the side characters.
>Bakshi recounts that during the first day of shooting, the actors were unable to play their roles naturally, but began casually talking and acting the way he wanted their characters to act when the cameras were off, including flirting with an actress. However, the camera man was not around to capture these events, so Bakshi filmed them himself. When Bakshi excitedly toldWilliam A. Frakerabout this, Fraker quit the production, and was replaced by a young cinematographer who had never worked in film before.

So far, Fritz and Traffic were the only truly GOOD movies by him I saw. Perhaps Good Lookin' is also good. The rest is overrated pretentious ugly half-baked garbage.

What all have you watched?

Pretentious? How so?

He just shows the ugliness of urban ghettos, and does nothing. There is no message, no point, no moral. "Hey, look how gritty and violent and vulgar I can get! This is real adult stuff!"

Most of his films just leave me cold.

Have you seen Fire and Ice?

Rotoscoped bore.