Johns on Doomsday Clock

youtube.com/watch?v=6jFwhIjlR5g

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2010/09/09/alan-moore-speaks-watchmen-2-to-adi-tantimedh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Perfect. So it is more a clash of tone and narrative than Watchmen comes to the DCU. That's exactly what I expected and hoped for.

I'm pretty hyped, if nothing else, for the amount of discussion threads Sup Forums is going to have

Which of the two possible outcomes would be worse?
>It's straight-up shit
>It's shit but panders enough so that fanboys think it's good

Oh baby, this is going to be some shit lads. Can't wait

The latter.

It's slightly more fun if EVERYBODY is screaming "THIS IS BULLSHIIIITTTT!!!"

Adversely...

What is the best possible outcome?

>What is the best possible outcome?

That in the end those ten years that were stolen, those relationships lost, legacies, and missing heroes are remembered and / or returned to continuity. Everything pre-flashpoint.

I'm not saying that the characters should age, they can stay young but with their lost memories of another time.

Some things that I'd like to see addressed:

> 3 Jokers
> Legion
> PRIME TIME
> Cyborg remembering the Titans (even if he stays in JL)
> Wally remembering his kids, for FUCKS SAKE
> JSA
> Parallax Hal Jordan (I realize this has nothing to do with Rebirth, but he's out there and I miss him).

>Parallax Hal Jordan
Only if he's written as his Zero Hour incarnation (no fear bug)

>Only if he's written as his Zero Hour incarnation (no fear bug)

That fear bug was such bullshit...but I've learned to live with it,there was still a big part of Hal in control.

Why do people get invested in big 2 capeshit when this is the kind of struggle it puts them through?

>Why do people get invested in big 2 capeshit when this is the kind of struggle it puts them through?

1: Not that big of a "struggle",more like an annoyance, unless you're an autistic faggot.
2: Some stories are very solid entertainment (not deep or groundbreaking, just fun).
3: Escapism.
4: Nostalgia.

The latter is worse because idiots will be defending it forever with "Woah, Ozymandias met Lex? They're both so smart!!! EPIC!!" and because I have autism it will frustrate me

>"Woah, Ozymandias met Lex? They're both so smart!!! EPIC!!"

Other than that, I think the concept of Manhattan creating the DCU because he was so tired or jaded from his own, is an interesting idea. And he made a universe with several super powered beings, no less. A universe with heroes that save and help mankind almost on a daily basis.

Dark Days actually worth reading?

The second one. Casuals still fawn over how great infinite crisis was and how Johns is a genius for Superboy prime.

> 3 Jokers
Hopefully
> Legion
Given Saturn Girl and Emerald Empress appearing in Batman and Supergirl, this is probable
> PRIME TIME
Unlikely, but that would be super
> Cyborg remembering the Titans (even if he stays in JL)
That would be cool but I doubt it
> Wally remembering his kids, for FUCKS SAKE
If he remembers Linda, this is inevitable
> JSA
Given Johnny Thunder and Jay Garrick's brief appearances, this is also inevitable
> Parallax Hal Jordan (I realize this has nothing to do with Rebirth, but he's out there and I miss him).
I could do without

I just told my LCS today that I want this on my list. Hearing him double down on the election thing is a bit disconcerting honestly. If issue one has Trump renaming the Keene act the Trump Act or some shit like that I'll lose it. Or I bet we see Baldwin-impression trump with his finger on "the button" and Manhattan wanting to restart it all.

So that's it, for me, good enough outcome.

I mean, this whole Watchmen thing is quite clearly a gimmick to fix some things they fucked up with the New 52 relaunch. They've all but acknowledged that by now.

> How do we explain so many erased storylines, characters and compressed bullshit,?
> Manhattan messed with reality.
> The end.

Day 1. The asshurt Moorefags just make it all the more appealing.

>The asshurt Moorefags

I hope Moore himself comments on it. That's always a blast to read.

>Where are the snakes and the sex
I agree

>mfw he says he actually kinda likes it

>Moore liking anything DC does.

>(...) This was said with the kind of understanding that if they gave me back the rights to WATCHMEN, then I would in return sign over the rights to secondary properties such as, oh I don’t know, Rorschach comic books, sequels, prequels, all of these things…

TV series, things like that?

>Yeah, all of these things, potentially, when you think about the different mediums these could be exploited in. Potentially endless properties that could be spun off of WATCHMEN. Now, I stepped in and said to Dave that actually, no I had grown so sick of WATCHMEN over these last 18 months that I didn’t want the rights back anymore. If they had offered them back to me back when I wanted them, ten, twenty years ago, then maybe this could have all been resolved in a friendly fashion. But no, I wasn’t going to take the rights back at this stage after they had pretty much, in my opinion, raped what I had thought to be a pretty decent work of art. I didn’t want them throwing me back the spent and exhausted carcass of my work and certainly not under terms that would apparently allow them to go on producing witless sequels and prequels ad infinitum.

bleedingcool.com/2010/09/09/alan-moore-speaks-watchmen-2-to-adi-tantimedh/

user, where the fuck do you think you are. Do you think you've provided me some new information?

Calm your tits, dude. It's a very fun read, even if you've read it before.

the point was you took a sarcastic post to unload your favorite moore interview.

Everyone know's Alan Moore's feelings about DC, and american comics in general.

I haven't been this excited to hate-read something in a loooong time.

>I haven't been this excited to hate-read something in a loooong time.
Not even for America? Fuck out of here.

>DC interns

I don't care enough about that fucking bullshit character to read that trash. I love DC and Watchmen and this is going to be a steaming dump all over both of them. I'm a fucking masochist so I can't look away.

Man, Moore is such a savage dick. I love his work though even if he doesn't.

This is how a fucking writer acts. Petty, vindictive, furious. Take note, Scott Snyder, you company man camp counselor "EVERYONE IS MY BEST FRIEEEEEND" hack mother fucker.

>At the end of the day, if they haven’t got any properties that are valuable enough, but they have got these ‘top-flight industry creators’ that are ready to produce these prequels and sequels to WATCHMEN, well this is probably a radical idea, but could they not get one of the ‘top-flight industry creators’ to come up with an idea of their own? Why are DC Comics trying to exploit a comic book that I wrote 25 years ago if they have got anything? Sure they ought to have had an equivalent idea since? I could ask about why Marvel Comics are churning out or planning to bring out my ancient MARVELMAN stories, which are even older, if they had a viable idea of their own in the quarter-century since I wrote those works. I mean, surely that would be a much easier solution than all of this clandestine stuff? Just simply get some of your top-flight talent to put out a book that the wider public outside of the comics field find as interesting or as appealing as the stuff that I wrote 25 years ago. It shouldn’t be too big an ask, should it? I wouldn’t have thought so. And it would solve an awful lot of problems. They must have one creator, surely, in the entire American industry that could do equivalent work to something I did 25 years ago. It would be insulting to think that there weren’t.

And they still haven't done equivalent work.

Do you fucking people ever just read comics for enjoyment? You know, for fun? I must be a very small percent of people who think stories like this are interesting. It's not going to ruin watchmen, the story still exists by itself and it doesn't have to be part of any canon continuity if you don't want it to be

Your problem is assuming this board reads comics.

Johns' resume is only filled with action comics, why does anyone think he's capable of writing this well?

>Do you fucking people ever just read comics for enjoyment? You know, for fun?
Yes, and when comics are written which are very bad fanfiction of much better ones, I will have fun reading them for the purposes of mockery.

>it doesn't have to be part of any canon continuity if you don't want it to be

but DC wants you to think exactly the opposite

otherwise why would they make such a being push about these specific characters

*big push*

It's only Manhattan so far, and the real hook is what's going to be the effect on the DCU once this is over. Doc will fuck off somewhere else.

If they can use them once, they can use them as many times as they want.

And that still won't affect the source material. Cry more though.

Honestly would anyone miss you if you died tomorrow? Think about that.

I think the more likely outcome is that it starts off strong then peters out at the end. Nearly any big story Johns does does not live up to its potential.

It won't affect it... but it will keep DC stuck in 1986.

Meanwhile Vertigo dies a slow death and Image receives all the books that DC could have published.

I'm sorry, not to interrupt the Circle-Jerk but even fucking Moore struggles to leave behind those comics from years ago considering people barely give a crap about his other stuff nor do people find his other stuff as appealing.

Vertigo has been dead since Karen Berger left.

Image is killing Vertigo because it's more tantalizing for writers knowing that they'll make money if it eventually gets adapted.

Vertigo's been dead even before that. The last good thing Berger probably did was scouting King.

OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT UPCOMING V FOR VENDETTA/ANARKY/BATMAN CROSSOVER

YOU KNOW IT'S COMING SOONER OR LATER

The latter, by far. If it's pure shit, it'll be forgotten/ignored eventually, and straight up disliked. Any discussion about it would be about how much is sucks (see: Identity Crisis, America, etc).

If it's pander-polished shit, you'll have enough people unironically liking it that it will be genuinely defended. It will still get brought up years down the line by these same people as a recommended read, even though it's complete trash. Sides will be taken and everyone loses.

Can't wait for based Cereal King to feed me a juicy steak from the rump of a sacred cow!

>Identity Crisis

I like it =)

I think Johns was more referencing what happened after the election. I.E the left losing their collective shit.

I sincerely doubt it but sincerely hope it. if he gives a modak moment I'll be very likely to drop that shit instantly.

>Why do people get invested in big 2 capeshit when this is the kind of struggle it puts them through?

Its only a struggle for spergs. Normal people just accept it and are still fine with it because reasons, and other people give up because they're too poor.

Grant Morrison is the Alan Moore of comic books.

Jeph Loeb is the Alan Moore of Grant Morrisons.

I mean… that was pretty much the basis for Infinite Crisis.

Does anyone think the watchmen characters will stick aorund after doomsday clock is over? I think it's pretty obvious most of them if not all will be erased from the continuity again.