South Park Criticism+Venting Thread

Making an effort to watch this ep again now that I've found the time.

The first time I saw it, I couldn't make it past Cartman's suicide song. I think this was the first time I've 'walked out' on a South Park episode.
Tweak’s overkill screaming was the first nail in the coffin. It was very difficult to watch.

Then they went and lazily canonized a gay ship - which if Legend of Korra has taught us anything, does not salvage bad storytelling.
South Park has changed, if the previous season was any indication.
Matt and Trey said they were shifting focus to writing cohesive, season-length narratives with continuity in mind.
I was intrigued by this, wondering how it’d play out with the election, as they couldn't know who would win. I was looking forward to something like the McCain/Obama election, which was a good episode and for which iirc they prepared multiple plots for.
Apparently not this time. They put their eggs in the 'of course Hillary will win' basket.
The whole trolling storyline was unfunny, Trump Garrison was a complete failure such that it has been completely abandoned, (how's that for continuity) Cartman has been acting far out of character and the overall quality of the show has plummeted.
Inb4 “Sup Forums go home” - the show tends to be political anyway and especially now they are remarkably partisan - so the Sup Forums factor is there whether we like it or not.

The first episode of this new season was a jab at working class Americans and their attempt at being even-handed was to also make a jab at the cliche of smarmy home improvement shows.
This failed by giving us a cop out ending for the conflict, but not before getting a few more digs in against white people and the working class.
I'd thought Matt and Trey had proven themselves failures at writing a series narrative, but it seems they've also forgotten how to plot a regular episode.
Back to the current ep, I will be watching this disaster unfold and updating with posts.
Additional criticism welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b8KUTZUqyzk&t=1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope the next episode makes fun of people who overanalyze the series because they think it makes some large-standing political commentary with every single line of dialogue.

They already did.
It's called The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs.

I've enjoyed this season so far so you can go fuck yourself OP

The Tweak scene dragged for 30-40 seconds, but felt like a pileup of several family guy long-takes in duration.

Cartman’s ‘doesn’t matter if they’re gayballs or straightballs’ line in the cafeteria scene is really shoehorned – it made me go check if it was actually Matt/Trey credited with writing the episode and not a bunch of virtue-signalling college grads. Matt/Trey are credited but I hesitate to believe they didn’t just hand the assignment off to some plucky staff writers.
This stilted dialogue probably goes unnoticed by what is presumably South Park’s new target audience – fangirls so moist from their confirmed ship they’re gushing out the ears.
Of course I’m sure if they did catch any of that it only made them cum harder.
Well, fine, at least It’ll have them condescend less to any guys still watching this show – but if we keep going at this rate I worry there’ll be some mass tumblirite pussy nerve damage from the overstimulation. Yikes.
Well, let's see where this goes.

I keep reading anons comments on how ' this was the first episode I couldn't watch'. So you managed to finish the many other episodes that were far worse?

Don't get me wrong it's good bait but you can't expect me not to call it by anything else.

It's not a jab at just working class Americans, it's a jab at working class Americans who never try to move up in life.

>dumb phoneposter can't argue his opinion
quelle surprise

>Cartman’s ‘doesn’t matter if they’re gayballs or straightballs’ line in the cafeteria scene is really shoehorned

Just because a line has triggered your fear of the SJW-boogeyman, doesn't mean it was shoehorned. It fit just fine.

>Matt/Trey are credited but I hesitate to believe they didn’t just hand the assignment off to some plucky staff writers

That's not how writing staff on a show works. The credit for the episodes doesn't really make any sense. They all work together. It would be pretty stupid to employ this team of writers and then just ignore the input from the majority of them on any given episode. No one single writer has the ability to just push through a script of their own and get it made into an episode; everyone on the team is going to scrutinize the script and offer their own input.

Side note, Cartman’s compulsive lying shtick has been reduced to a tired joke.
I’m reminded of the last season and his ‘muh vagina’ line. It was a good bit, pretty funny. But the whole time we were waiting for when he couldn’t keep up the lie, and it seemed to be building toward something but it never really happened.
I know many fans were watching like “Ok, this is pretty funny how much Cartman is acting out of character just so he can keep this girlfriend for some kind of ulterior motive.”
“Oh, wait, he’s serious? Well surely he must be in some major denial or something and the real Cartman will come out soon. This is gonna be good, right? Surely wherever this goes it’ll redeem the shitty trolling plot going on.”
“Oh, fuck, this was all being played straight? This has to be a long con, and they are just taking the piss with how long they’re putting this off… maybe next season they’ll do this, but by now it’s been dragged out so much I’ve lost interest. Whatever.”
This worked out to make the ‘muh vagina’ joke less funny too. Unfunny-ness in action.
It seemed like they were going to have that go somewhere with the Caitlyn Jenner “she’s so beautiful, so powerful, etc etc” – but they pulled punches here – not that they necessarily deserved to get shit on or anything (The badness of Scheumer's standup has been exaggerated) but it seems like when they handed it off to the fangirls they redlined that shit right out so we’re left with a pit of unfunny because they couldn’t be fucked re-writing. The “Caitlyn Jenner runs over someone” gag was good, and perfectly captures what South Park’s story structure is like right now.

I commented on how they were credited, and it seems like their writing process really is just Matt+Trey drooling out a few jokes before handing it off to the fangirls to fill out and push through.
It hardly seems Matt+Trey scrutinize any of it from there and pretty much phone it in.

>Watching a cartoon for its stance in politics and commentary
what a cuck, cartoons are just supposed to be enjoyable

I loved this episode. I always find it funny how so many people who don't like a series always find time to watch if and feel hurt over it. You would think they had something better to do than get themselves upset over a cartoon.

I liked the first one but didn't like this one.

>Horrible music
>Cartman being especially annoying than usual
>no Stan or Kyle
>random edgy gore for no reason (dead children) which I didn't find funny
>the connection to driving didn't make much sense
>Cartman's relationship made little progress this week even though it's a sub plot
>tip toeing around Garrison even though we know he'll be back in a matter of weeks
>Too little of Kim Jong Un
>Plot holes (Tweek's cupcakes making it to NK)

Parts I liked
>calling president out for tweets
>Hillary
>Creek bits were sweet

It was a very messy episode, even more than White People Renovating Houses.

this right here

>Tweek's intro song which is just screaming
>Tweek walking into Craig's room and screaming
>"What's your favorite ride?" "THE FERRIS WHEEL!!!!"
>"Tweek isn't scared of some rice picker little shits."
>"Tweek is so not scared he's at an amusement park right now"
>Photoshops of Tweek in Korea
>PC Principal's, "I'll give you one pigeon" line
>"Oh see, now you made me lose control of my emotions."
>Kenny in the list of killed kids at the end

The Cartman suicide b-plot was pretty boring I'll give you that, but the Tweek a-plot had a ton of jokes I liked.

>>no Stan or Kyle
>>tip toeing around Garrison even though we know he'll be back in a matter of weeks
>>Plot holes (Tweek's cupcakes making it to NK)
Only things I disagree with. 9/10 Perfect

Only thing I disliked (As opposed to finding boring) was the ending song. At least the Tweets you could still say it was Mr. Garrison being an asshole, but the final song was way too in-your-face, "Truuuummmp!".

I especially think it's dumb when people criticize Trump for using Twitter when one of the biggest hooks people LIKED about him in the first place was that he constantly posted his thoughts on Twitter. It's a trait many of his fans genuinely like. Why would he stop doing it because the haters dislike it? Wouldn't you logically keep doing what your fans want? Much like how South Park keeps making political episodes even though they said they wouldn't because that's what the fans want?

how is shitting on working class citizens suddenly a problem even though they have done it countless times before?

The tale of Scrottie mcboogerballs?

it's still funny just as a bait and switch, you expect them to be talking about drivers.

I like Trump but both garrisons tweet's and the final song was hilarious to me, we really don't have to pretend the man is flawless.

This was a great ep.

Nice blogpost. Where can I subscribe to it, only to then unsusbcribe because your opinions are hot garbage.
The Cartman song was amazing, but maybe it's it loses the charm if you don't know what it's parodying. I don't see how Cartman trying to get attention by threatening to kill himself is out of character.
Also Tweek and Craig are not 'canoized', you don't have to do any mental gymnastics to think they are still being together because the town wants to and they became friends because they spend so much time together. Stan and Kyle have had gayer moments than them.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? The message was not directed at Trump -- partly yes, but it was mostly aimed at everyone who like Tweek spend so much time reading news and seen what the president is up to now that they could not see beyond that. How can it be clearer, they have a couple kill a kid because they were only focused on Garrison's tweets and in the song they have a similar couple decide to 'put it down'?

Why don't you just admit that you didn't like episode because it attacked "muh Trump"?
You're acting like Randy is the voice of reason in this series. Obviously, he was ridiculing the white working class because this is what asshole liberals do to white working class white people. When the redneck gets pissed off about being degraded, Randy acts like an idiot and can't understand why he would yell all that angry, racist stuff.

I'm looking forward to the game that they spent many months writing/making.

The current season so far, meh.

>…Cupcakes!?
Another scene that drags too long, only to end on a shitty punchline. This scene is flatter than the coke I left out yesterday.
Craig seems to have been warped from a straight-man into a perfect boyfriend who is a voice of reason. I hope I’m proven wrong.
Knowing there must be a bunch of fangirls out there spasming in the cooch at how darling the cutebois are, and how relatable they likely find Tweak, inspires cringe.
Just imagine if this was Stan and Wendy talking, and how unremarkable it would be.

The Trump tweet thing is a cheap pop, they are taking advantage of him which is fine but they are wasting that advantage. People who like Trump make better jokes about him on the regular.
On my first viewing, I thought at this point we were still going to have Trump Garrison so I was hoping they could pick it up and redeem it. Later we see another instance of this, with a headshot showing it definitely isn’t Trump Garrison anymore and I suppose the big joke is that giving real people South Park character designs is cute. Sure?
So far that’s all this episode seems to be; cute. We’re still waiting for some genuine humor. In writing this I noticed the bulletin board in the background is titled ‘Bull-etins’ with cut-out cow faces stuck on. That’s funnier than anything else going on so far, but being equally forgettable I know it’ll steal the show once again if I ever bother to look this scene up again to remember how bad it is.

That’s just people making their peace with seeing a show they’ve invested themselves in for over a decade crash and burn.

Sure they’ve attacked Trump, but what they’ve really attacked is comedy.

>The Trump tweet thing is a cheap pop, they are taking advantage of him which is fine but they are wasting that advantage. People who like Trump make better jokes about him on the regular.

No, you don't. You think you do, but you don't. You've got insecurities and your ego is all wrapped up in a politician and you can't take it when people make fun. Pussy.

You gotta stop pretending you're not just verklempt because the episode didn't align with you politically. You're not good at it.

Looks like they've eased up, and remembered how to be funny.
This was good, and feels like South Park again.
This scene not only provided laughter but a glimmer of hope for many fans.

Easy on the projecting, tough guy.

People still watch this show?

>Another scene that drags too long, only to end on a shitty punchline. This scene is flatter than the coke I left out yesterday.
Not every bit of dialogue has to be a quick joke. I'm not a fujoshit so I found Craig calling Tweek honey to be a joke instead of endearing.

>The Trump tweet thing is a cheap pop, they are taking advantage of him which is fine but they are wasting that advantage. People who like Trump make better jokes about him on the regular.
I've yet to see a single Trump joke by his supporters, let alone a good one.
>On my first viewing, I thought at this point we were still going to have Trump Garrison so I was hoping they could pick it up and redeem it. Later we see another instance of this, with a headshot showing it definitely isn’t Trump Garrison anymore and I suppose the big joke is that giving real people South Park character designs is cute. Sure?
It is Garrison, how else would he know Tweek personally? In season 20 he was transforming more into Trump.
And I still think Cartman's song was the best part of the episode and you must be joyless if you didn't like it.

Honestly, it seems what bothers you is that South Park stopped being batshit crazy and with outrageous plots. But it's been that way since season 15.

I fucking hate South Park fans

When will people stop being triggered by Trump? The man has done fuck all but say some shit that hurt their delicate feelings.

>"Sure they’ve attacked Trump, but what they’ve really attacked is comedy."

Triggered much, Libbypoo?

eh... what did you expect?

they had a basic moral about telling all americans not to text and drive and just had to make it all about el trumpo

Why do I only ever see "official criticism" threads pop up for shows when something gay happens

I'm more pissed off that pointing out Trump jokes are too easy for a comedy moment and would be better if avoided makes you a Trump supporter who gets triggered.

Saturation is saturation. I'm sick of Dwayne Rock Johnson too because he shows up in every movie, that doesn't mean he's personally hurt me or that I'm his nemesis.

Wow, this transition scene is great! The music is perfect too. I love it.
This is already much better than that Denmark stuff, which had a fine enough theme but the setting was worn as thin as the plot against the gratingly bad troll jokes.

Too bad it totally dies when the cupcakes are brought to Kim Jong Un. What the fuck are they doing?
They’re really banking on Kim Jong Un + Cupcakes = hilarity?
Goddamnit, we had about a minute of good South Park. End of Stan+Eric’s girlfriend talking, the voice message scene and that North Korea transition make up what is easily the most rewatchable part of the episode so far.
Well, let’s see where this goes. Maybe it’ll get good again!

>It is Garrison, how else would he know Tweek personally? In season 20 he was transforming more into Trump.
Well that's interesting, a great point to raise - I'd be thrilled to be wrong so long as they do something good with it - I'm not sure how likely it is I'll be sticking with the season to see that though.
>Honestly, it seems what bothers you is that South Park stopped being batshit crazy and with outrageous plots.
I think the Denmark Troll plot was definitely outrageous - so it's still got the crazyness, it's just taken a sharp dive in consistency of quality.

>the Tweek a-plot had a ton of jokes I liked.
This.

The "Put it down" song/pledge bit was great; and then Hillary said, "I'll take the pledge!" and the chorus responded, "NO ONE CARES!" and I fuckin' lost it!

its 3rd season they make fun of Trump, I know Trey wife's son like it, but doesnt mean i have to laugh at joke that goes on for 3 years

This is thread is so cringe, it makes the rick and morty threads look better in comparison.

PC Principal sucked at first, but has really come into his own.
They’ve managed to make him quite likeable and funny on his own.
I think he might even be the character Cartman has the most chemistry with now, maybe even more than Kyle. There’s more going on between Cartman and PC Principal than Craig and Tweak, that’s for sure. This scene wasn’t great or anything but totally watchable.

So post there instead.

>So post there instead.
Nah.

Are we going to pretend this show doesn't always go after the sitting president? Are we going to pretend this show hasn't always done election episodes? Are you going to get triggered every time a cartoon says something bad about your guy?

Show me where it went after Obama. Art thief turned President doesn't count.

They're not flawless, they're a work in progress.

So is this basically just a: trump supporter is mad that south park is making fun of them rant?

I hope it becomes more prevalent. I actually laughed once or twice in the episode.

Definitely has among the most divisive fanbases I've ever seen.

>Plot holes (Tweek's cupcakes making it to NK)
Do you know what a plot hole is? Because something not being shown onscreen isn't a plothole.

What was bad:
> Cartman's song, he already did that in other episodes.
> Songs in general
> The relationship advice to "just listen, don't try to fix it" is overused in shows.

What was great:
> Everything else

Tweak isn't flanderized at all, he's like that from his first appearance. Of course he would overreact under the threat of nuclear destruction.

Garrison/NK banter over twitter was hilarious (and not so far from reality).

>>random edgy gore for no reason (dead children)
You ... did know that you were watching South Park, yes?

I've seen people complain about the same shit
>South Park is getting too political and current!
>Is not funny anymore!
In the IMDB boards back in the early 2000s. It's never going to change. I still enjoy the show and I can see why some people don't enjoy it anymore (It's more grounded than it used to be) but personally I still enjoy it. Season 20 was the only season I can really say I don't like and it still had some good moments (Gerald's trolling montage, the pissing scene, dad called you a pussy)

Are you a troll or is it the first episode of South Park you're watching ?

Yeah, I remember being on forums over a decade ago, and there were people saying the show went downhill after Season 5.

Lets add South Park to the list of media that triggers Sup Forums:

South Park
Rick & Morty
Steven Universe
Big Mouth
Magic School Bus
Powerpuff Girls
Star Wars
Star Trek
Firewatch
Farcry
Hamilton
CNN
MSNBC
Google
Reddit
Twitter
Youtube
Marvel
DC
Natty Comic
Assigned Male
Matt Furie
The Daily Show
Ben Shapiro
Stephen Colbert
Jimmy Kimmel
Billy Nye the Science Guy
Niel De-grass Tyson
Morgan Freemon

Seriously what doesn't piss you guys off?

Assigned Male should trigger everyone though.

youtube.com/watch?v=b8KUTZUqyzk&t=1s

watch this, it explain some of it.

I find its comics ridiculous propaganda based on feeling and not fact, but it hardly sends me into an internet rage like pol often does. I dont like it, I move on. Sup Forums makes it their goal to rub their opinions in everyone's face. And their cancer leeks into every other board.

> Post list of media that trigger Sup Forums.
> Is triggered.

Like pottery

Yeah, I didn't like the episode. Everything was great, but then they had kenny die, and didn't even show it.

It does, my trans friends hate it too.

>It is Garrison, how else would he know Tweek personally?
Wait, is pic related what you were referring to?
Now that I’ve seen this again I’m sure that’s just Trump lying in the context.
Seems like that plot has been totally abandoned. And if I'm wrong but this is still the justification then it doesn't fix anything - it'll take a lot more work to make it any good.

Also, what makes the "Hey look, Trump sends out petty tweets" joke poor is that it's the easiest joke to make, yet they also pull their punches on it. They make the joke but put no effort into it, they don't take it anywhere meaningful, which leaves the reference alone making up most of the joke. I mean just look at pic related, it's totally weak and uninspired.
The only people who can find this funny are those who actually have trauma or stress from Trump winning and can't help but laugh in catharsis from the validation that their big scary boogeyman is affirmed as such.
Matt and Trey are otherwise at a complete loss as to what to do with Trump, just like most libcucks they failed to take him seriously and painted him as a silly villainous caricature.
That's ok but it really limits what they can do with him so the story has suffered tremendously.
They wrote themselves into a corner on politcal grounds, which brings us to
This was obvious, like I said in OP
>They put their eggs in the 'of course HIllary will win' basket.
This is a terrible excuse and shows that as political commentary they are totally out of touch - and South Park had been known to be politically savvy up until this point.

They've embarrassed themselves to many fans and they may never recover from this - one out from this they're clearly taking is to simply just pander to a different audience.
That's going in the Marvel Comics direction and we all know how well that turns out.

They butchered Cartman. The show = Cartman, simple as that. And now he's this meek boring goody two shoes with a fucking boring girlfriend.

I mean, Cartman is the kid who played Hitler, killed Scott Tenorman's parents, etc. etc. What happened to all of that?

Trump supporters are as sensitive as the people they hate

>he's this meek boring goody two shoes
That was a lot of words just to write: "I didn't watch the episode," user.

A dumb rap with no profanity just because he wants attention is nowhere near the old Cartman.

He literally got a number of two kids killed and was butthurt that he still wasn't getting attention for this cry for help

You didn't watch the episode.

I miss when Cartman was just a bratty kid that yelled at his cat. Evil Cartman from Scott Ternorman killed the character for me.

arent there more important things you should be worrying about?
being able to care that much about a cartoon in its 21 season is quite a luxury

There is nothing wrong with working class. Even people who remain janitors or bus drivers their entire life have a much needed and welcomed place in the work field.

And his butthurt was shown by making a booooooooring rap. What is it with you homo's that every time someone disagrees with you you use that dumb rhetoric that they didn't watch the ep.

You haven't seen a lot of SP if you think Cartman was only evil in the Scott Tenorman ep

Nope. That's Garrison. Stink Face and all.

>they don't take it anywhere meaningful
The entire A-plot is based on people overreacting to Trump's tweet. You can argue with the direction they took, but they're not just dropping references.

He manipulated friggin Cthulu into being his hired muscle and used him to wreak havoc on America.

He's also the same kid who's not above beating a midget's ass, dry humping Justin Timberlake while dressed up as Britney Spears, and still get his ass handed to him by Wendy, Token, and Kyle (cried for his mommy like a bitch after one tap)

Cartman's all kinds of fucked in the head.

I changed channel the moment tweak started screaming, it was stupid and unfunny and I don't like when writers use characters to literally scream their opinions at me.

>I don't like when writers use characters to literally scream their opinions at me.

Uh what? Tweek was just afraid of being blown up by North Korea

How is that Trey and Matt screaming their opinion's at you?

Mate, I've watched the entire series many times over. You're a moron if you think he was scott ternorman levels of evil in the first 3-4 seasons.

"You're all going to sit and do nothing while North-Korea does this?"

Yeah that's only Tweek alright.

You don't think Tweek of all characters wouldn't be losing his shit over this?

Did you expect him to play the Moonlight Sonata or something?

This is autistic

"This is retarded hurrr durrr mommy look et my posts I em so keeeeeewl"

t. Autist

t. pic related

t. Salty Autist

Can you say more than just autist fuckwad?

t. Salty assblasted Autist

Guess not then. Boring

Dear god you're a pretentious shit aren't you.

are we seriously gonna start complaining about edgy shit on fucking south park?

what I hate are the fags that only like the show when it "agrees" with them. not saying its perfect though

>>no Stan or Kyle
This is what i miss, i like the other characters but the 4 boys are what makes south park great

Even when Cartman came crying about Heidi he went to fucking Token and Craig and co.

I wish they get to episodes like Casa Bonita or wacky Molestation adventure.

Did anyone want Heidi to be emotionally manipulative?
I think it would work better if she was a bitch to Cartman and noone would beleve Cartman when he tells his friends because of all the shit he's lied about in the past

South park died with season 18. they cucked out to trannies when they used to rightfully make fun of the freaks.

At season 19 I was half expecting cartman and PC principal to have this joker vs batman dynamic, where cartman would spend the entire season triggering pc principal and in turn receive beatings while laughing at the social justice crowd getting more and more mad at him, because they cant break him no matter what they do. It would've been perfect, cartman would've been the necessary evil to expose the PC crowd as being violent authoritarians. But instead we got a cuck cartman.

Season 20 I just didn't care anymore. Because they were cucking for clinton from the get go

Figures Sup Forums would be triggered from fact based comics. Sup Forums has to produce its feels based version of reality.

>they cucked
Stopped reading there

It is confusing how everyone is so accepting of Tweek and Craig being 'gay', regardless of whether it's true or not. Aren't they supposed to be cruel, immature 10 year olds and isn't at least Cartman supposed to be bigoted in every way?

>DUDE KEK LMAO

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, really makes ya think.