Piracy doesn't effect sales

Ha! Neil Gaiman was right!!!

Suck it, Bendis and Slott!!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

juliareda.eu/2017/09/secret-copyright-infringement-study/
netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=269757
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So how do you know this supposed study, which no one has actually seen, covers comics and not just movies and maybe video games?

People have seen it. Some parliament member put it up on their blog.
juliareda.eu/2017/09/secret-copyright-infringement-study/

It's not really hard to believe. If someone's going to pirate They either intend to buy it later if they like it, or never would have paid for it to begin with.

I pirate stuff, but most of it I end up buying later when I have the chance because I want to support it.

We don't. And because no one has seen it there is no evidence that it contains replicable experiments, nor that replicated testing would reveal the same information...

But you are kind of missing the point if this is all that you see...

Most people don't even know how to pirate a comic.

Well fucking duh. I don't like comics enough to buy them. If I can't get them for free I just won't read them and be no unhappier for it.
Most comics are far too terrible to bother with and the few that are good are too hard to generally predict these days.

>no has seen it
Literally posted in this thread.

>or never would have paid for it to begin with.
People aren't entitled to things, though. If they want free shit they should go to the library or whatever.

Is it too Sup Forums to ask why all these studies that prove things aren't bad get suppressed? It's like every day you hear shit is actually completely fine.

because EU

Shut up, Bendis

because The EU is Germany's latest and greatest hair brained scheme to take over the continent.
Why do you think the Brits are leaving?

>Is it too Sup Forums to ask why all these studies that prove things aren't bad get suppressed? It's like every day you hear shit is actually completely fine.
Because anti-piracy laws exist not to protect morality, but to protect profits.

More specifically, even though the study shows that piracy doesn't really affect profits, the law itself still is profitable by suing people for money. So now they suppress it to prevent losing a profit stream, which was the anti-piracy laws themselves.

>If someone's going to pirate They either intend to buy it later if they like it

You're missing my point. If the option wasn't easily available for them to pirate it they wouldn't read it at all.

There's many comics I've read in story times here I never would have known about that I buy now.

Remember that time Slott went on an anti-piracy soapbox and then it turned out he was torrenting a comic?

>bizlets need to be reminded of the lost sale fallacy once again

>In general, the results do not show robust statistical evidence of displacement of sales by online copyright infringements. That does not necessarily mean that piracy has no effect but only that the statistical analysis does not prove with sufficient reliability that there is an effect. An exception is the displacement of recent top films. The results show a displacement rate of 40 per cent which means that for every ten recent top films watched illegally, four fewer films are consumed legally.

Please don't confuse "we couldn't find it" with "it doesn't exist." That's anti-vaxxer-tier shit.

It's simplistic but there's an inkling of truth I suppose.
A person who would pirate would never buy a product they didn't already know was good.
There's no point where they'd just break down and get it, however there's definitely Pirates who would buy afterwards because they deemed it worthy of their support.
So in the end it's still more sales than if they had some magical way to stop all piracy.

And the other way around is some Ancient Aliens/Bigfoot shit.

>replicable experiments
It's probably more statistical analysis than experiments...

>a mysterious studi so shit it was discarded prove something based on imaginary data!
Nice. remember zoey quinn powerpoint wasn't supressed, so this one is even worse in quality.

Because they were dumb enough to follow a guy who bailed once he won?

Who?

>we have a study that proves it
>but my dog ate it an nobody can find it anwhere
the absolute fucking state of that gen Z toddler culture.

The thing is, for music the impact of piracy was really obvious. If you can't prove that there is an impact in others sectors then it's probably really small.

Nigel Farage...

except that music gets most of their money by Itunes, Spotify and other online streaming services

"piracy" doesn't really matter as most piracy these days is just literally downloading the youtube rip

gen Z is just starting college, they aren't doing published studies yet outside of prodigies

What do you mean he "bailed"?

He wasn't in the official leave campaign, he wasn't a member of parliament, he wasn't even in the governing party.

What did you expect him to do?

>Itunes, Spotify and other online streaming services
Record labels do, artists get shit from streaming.

and even without piracy the physical cd market is dying, it only caters to the most die hard fans. Artists make the most from tours and concerts

>for music the impact of piracy was really obvious
It depends. It didn't affect the live music business all that much, which is where the actual artists get most of their money from, and I'm pretty sure youtube did way more harm than piracy (believe it or not, most people don't know how to dowload shit from the internet).

>which is where the actual artists get most of their money from

That's the case now. It wasn't the case in the 90's.

>Artists make the most from tours and concerts
This was always the case, except for a 1% that sold millions of records. And even so, those bands got way more from licensing and concerts than record sales.
Only record companies got fucked in the ass by piracy/streaming and they've been ripping off the artists since forever so fuck them anyway.

Yes, it was. There were too many middle men for the artists to actually get any significant money from record sales. And a lot of them signed shitty contracts where recording and sometimes even promoting costs were considered a loan from the company, and most of the record sales went to pay those loans back.
Concerts were always the way the artist could make most of their money. Why do you think arts that sold millions and millions of records still played live and toured every single fucking day of the year?

found the bittblasted remoaner

stay mad that democracy works

We all knew this.

There's a shit ton of games I want to try out but not buy, and they often don't give me a Steam demo to try it out. So I'll usually pirate it and if I find myself putting days worth of game time into it, I eventually figure it's worth it to buy so I can get later updates. This is especially true in the era of the "EARLY ACCESS" shit.

I've done it with This War of Mine, Don't Starve, Oxygen Not Included, Stardew Valley, Binding of Isaac, Flame in the Flood, and a bunch of others. If I couldn't pirate those games to begin with to try it out, I would never have even bought them and just fall back on games that I know I'll enjoy (Typically sequels).

I buy shit of GoG and give it to my friends for a share of the cost. It's purchasing and pirating. They get money for one game and I give it to one or two people every now and again. That could be 2 pirated copies but now it's one legit copy. By letting me pirate I am willing to play ball

Middle men finger all their money, not just CDs. They toured for more cash (because it's not either/or) and as an advertisement for the record.

FUCK YOU I DID IT ONE TIME I SWEAR

That's fucking hilarious if true. Source?

It doesn't. It's about music piracy.

But it's not hard to see how the same thing would apply to other forms of piracy. Especially since there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of comic book piracy actually helping sales.

The positive effects created by letting anyone participate in internet culture regardless of how well they are off financially should also not be underestimated. The only type of product this really threatens is trashy shovelware which exists for that demographic, and the people who would have bough that don't just sit on the money they save but invest it in collectors items of stories they actually give a damn about.

The only real reason to oppose piracy is that it gives more power to the consumer.

>The only real reason to oppose piracy is that it gives more power to the consumer.

Or that part where pirates don't give you any money but will still show up and demand things making it harder to actually understand the feedback of people interested in putting food on your table.

This has been shown in the music industry about a decade ago.

I pirate to see what I want to buy. Isn't that how most people do it? I read a storytime or download from Win-O, if I like it and is something I want to support I buy it. If it's not good I won't buy it. Pirating is just a form of quality control

>for music the impact of piracy was really obvious
no, the music industry was growing as piracy was growing. The only people losing money were the million dollar bands and, most of all, their record labels. Smaller labels and smaller bands were making more money and there was an incredible growth of the number of bands selling records. The internet and piracy allowed people to seek out music they liked and the industry was able to diversify. It was proven time and time again that people that pirated the most music also bought the most music, they just weren't buying music from the top 40 or whatever

I pirate shit cause I'm a junkie and you can't pirate drugs so I don't have any money left to support the things I like but can get for free.

that's a relatively recent phenomenon and is only an issue with the big companies. Smaller companies (music and comics) benefit by piracy because it's free advertizing

I'm an alcoholic but I still find money...I just don't eat well

Nigga, that just shifts the way the market works to make it more organic. Rather than trying to pander to a target audience it forces you to actually understand what is and isn't good storytelling, at least to some extent.
And as storytelling gets better and people actually identify with the pop culture of their time interest in the arts increases and everyone who's able to deliver wins. Big companies are afraid of competing on that market because they know that their products are bland, unoriginal crap compared to something created as part of a living, breathing culture.

> complain when sjws demand changes but don't read comics
> it's ok when pirates do it

If you can't tell a comic's quality from a preview, you might be retarded.

you are classic judge a book by it's cover. let me guess, you only read Big 2 comics? Pirate some and branch out, get some DnQ or Fantagraphics

> Preview
> not indicative of the actual content

Issue 1 of Sandman wasn't all that great, it needed a bit of time to grow to what it was. Kabuki started out kinda bad, but to be fair it was his Thesis. but there are plenty of comics that only get really good later

but aren't the pirates actually reading comics? isn't that the point of pirating them? I don't understand your argument.

Reading or not means shit for the industry if theh don't pay for it, that's the point.

So? Previews generally come out for every issue, and there are reviews.

you can read previews every month though to see if something has changed

But I've seen people in the storytime say their where putting them on teir pull-list because they liked the series. It really only affects shitty products honestly, like in every other industry.

>most of it I end up buying later when I have the chance because I want to support it.
It's true that a lot of people who pirate wouldn't buy it anyway (piracy allows the consumption of significantly more media than people could afford buying most things), but I think this mentality of buying it later is pretty uncommon.

Also, people who pirate usually pirate almost all of their media, but if they couldn't pirate they'd at least buy SOME media. For example in the old days people would probably buy only a couple of CDs a year at most, and though once they could pirate they'll listen to orders of magnitude more music, most of which they'd never buy in the first place, they're no longer going to bother buying those couple of CDs a year, which is where the problem comes in.

As many companies have finally discovered, though, by making cheap subscription services that offer a similar dearth of options like Spotify and Netflix, this solves the problem of people no longer buying anything because they can get so much more media for free than they would ever afford legally.

The problem that piracy presented was not that people just want free shit, but that suddenly people had an unbelievable amount of options for media instead of buying a handful of movies/albums a year, and now that anyone can afford services that rival that crazy amount of options, the problem of piracy is going away.

Marvel has Unlimited, but all of comics need to be getting in on the idea of cheap subscription services instead of this nonsense $5 a month for one fucking comic.

>reviews

honestly, everyone should pirate until the trade it out. That way you know it's good all the way through. How many comic runs have you read that seem great and then the end just fucks over the entire book? I'm looking at you The Unworthy Thor

>The dumbest board on Sup Forums strikes again
You people are literally all underage, holy shit.

netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

As you can see the (((study))) is nothing more than a questionnare where 30,000 people across 6 countries were asked to "answer honestly" and such language as "piracy" and "illegal" were left out so as not to trigger the subjects' cognitive dissonance.

Tl:dr garbage study, literally anita at the women's UN tier/there are 26 genders tier/all racists are big dumb stupid heads tier

Mad?

Can someone post the archive to this article? How do people even to pirate now these days with the govt. up the internets gooch?

eh, that's only one part of it. The link between piracy and buying habits is a complex one. But what piracy does is it can get people invested so much that they want to purchase it. Piracy doesn't just help the floppy sales by maybe getting some new additions to a pull list, but it helps out trades a lot more. You can go back and read something and then see it in a store and remember you liked it a lot and buy it. Piracy also helps make fans out of people who weren't buying and didn't think they would buy. And biggest of all, it makes it easier to follow creators you like. Piracy is advertisement

as for subscriptions, I agree with you on the most part. The other big reason Netflix and Spotify etc are big is because of convenience. Network television is full of terrible commercials (that you have to pay for) and scheduled content. Until Netflix came along few companies has set top boxes that would record content for you and they actively try to put technology in there so you have a hard time skipping commercials. For music, the reason that CDs took a dive was not cause of piracy but because of the iPod, again, convenience

by living in a place where the NSA doesn't have control over your ISP.

Also, why dynamic IPs, encryption and VPNs are things everyone should be using

your Sup Forums image macro sure showed us, do I have your permission to repost it the next time I need shorthand for I AM A HUGE FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE

How's that nobody have posted this previously?

this always seemed obvious to me.
The only Marvel titles I used to buy until a few weeks ago were Deadpool, Spiderman/Deadpool/Uncanny Avengers.
Now I only buy Deadpool and Astonishing X-Men.
I read more comics than those because of piracy, but if I "really" liked them, Id buy them.

I only buy what I really like. I wont spend 4 bucks in something I think is ok. I am mainly an X-Men fan, and since Avengers vs X-Men Ive only liked 4 proper X-Men books. Spurrier's Legacy, Bunn's Magneto, Bunn's Uncanny, and now Soule's Astonishing. I dont buy Blue because I dont support the O5. If Marvel wants more money, then they should make better X-Men books.

moai kissing?

>the state of a marvelfag
Jesus Christ and I'm a marvelfag myself but get some respect for yourself

I don't have the source but the retard used his name as his handle on every forum including torrent sites

This post seems to have gone unnoticed. The report is right there.

The report covers films, music, books/audio books and computer games. Comics are covered as a subtype of book.

>It's about music piracy.
I bought a bootleg of Melissa Etheridge's VH-1 Duets concert. It featured her duetting with 3 other artists. I ended up buying at least 4 of those other artists' albums.

>don't give you any money but will still show up and demand things
like virtue signaling twittumblristas who make comic books change their content?

thanks user for point it out, I missed it in catching up on the thread.

These reports are constant. Save for a quick read, I have other papers I would rather read than this, but it's always good to review sources

lol

Careful not to cut yourself on all that edge, user. Are you sure you're old enough to handle it?

So what exactly is the going rate between USD and "A Pirate Thought This Was Good" CoolBoyBucks? Because I'm pretty sure it's "fucking none to infinity" and, as stated, food needs to get on the table and there's actual consumers who will give me the good ol' usd to buy it with.

This report is only interesting because the EU commissioned it, received the completed report, then chose not to publish it for some reason. The fact it wasn't published it more interesting than the contents.

Why did anyone think that the European Union was a good idea in the first place? Wasn't that Hitler's conception, especially so since the EU is under de facto German control?

Authors arent entitled to things either. They want money they should get a real job.

>Piracy also helps make fans out of people who weren't buying and didn't think they would buy.
Sup Forums storytimes got me to buy more comics in the past few years than I had ever owned in my entire life.

true
to compete with the US market, it failed on many fronts...but to have to break up may be worse than keep it at this point. Germany is literally keeping Europe on the fucking map economically, you can disagree with their policies on immigrations and refugees but they are the biggest economy in europe by a fair margin. France second and who knows what Macron's plans are, but I don't think they are to destabilize the EU. People make all these stupid correlations between him and Trump but he's actually smart

>Why did anyone think that the European Union was a good idea in the first place?
Some parts of the EU were good ideas. Unified currency was emphatically not. Now that it's in place it's really, really hard to reform. Best case scenario in the long run is enough countries ditch that they decide to draft a new system from scratch with input from those who now know what not to do.

Because now we haven't fought each other in a long time.
That's a big deal. Really big. Yeah, german hegemony still exists, through economic means, but it really beats butchering people.

> everyone does
> no new entertainment media comes out, ever

congratulations, you played yourself.

>good writers don't care about piracy
>bad writers obsess over how it takes away their profits
I wonder why that is.

exactly. People will forever buy Sandman and Watchmen. Who's going to buy the trade of Riri?

All I could find was this old forum thread talking about it: forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=269757

>a real job

What is that exactly? Some blue collar sinkhole?

> Alan Moore doesn't care about Watchmen sales
I WONDER WHY.

Graph about the decline of cd sold during the 2000s don't differentiate between million dollar bands and smaller bands. CD sells fell drastically as a whole.

Maybe smaller bands sold more but not enough to modify the trend.