Tries it's best to translate the source material to film while changing just enough to make it unique

>Tries it's best to translate the source material to film while changing just enough to make it unique
>Succeeds in most every way, making a unique world with interesting characters and an interesting plot
>Then decides to make the center focus for a good chunk of the movie the most generic 'new guy' FBI agent that is literally only there to be be someone the audience can 'relate' to
>Something the original source material never needed

Like, they literally got rid of him in the sequel because that was ALL he was meant to do. Like, what did they think people going into a movie called "Hellboy" with his picture as the fucking main focus on all promotional material, thought they were getting into?

I know it wasn't exactly an age where comic book movies were doing fantastic, but still.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-MbGTQbzou8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It gives Hellboy's relationship with his Father and Liz a different point of view. He's honestly not that bad since he gave him someone to bounce off of at the very least.

I know he ages differently but it's still creepy.

>hellboy 3 never ever
It hurts every time

Ill give you the relationships getting a different point of view, but there are better ways to get it across. As for him having someone to bounce off of, I don't know. I feel like we got alot *less* of Hellboy doing that. Him and Abe was probably some of the most fun interactions.

Also, him with the kid on the roof , short as if was, was just great. The fucking best, and I suppose it was worth having him just for that.

But with ..it was John, right? Can't really remember much of them, and I just saw it recently. I just feel like he could have been given a much smaller role and he would have been just as effective. Or make him..well, more interesting at least.

You haven't heard what it was going to be about have you? I'm glad it will never happen

Wasn't there talk of a reboot of sorts?
Thought with such little talk, either it was a myth or sounds awful

It's already filming with the guy from Stranger Things

W-what was it gonna be about?

Shit, really? I mean..alright?

I'm not sure what to think of that casting choice.

>Wasn't there talk of a reboot of sorts?
Yes

He looks almost exactly like Ron but with a more "mechanical"-looking right hand.

He was just an audience surrogate. Most mediums of entertainment have them when the people making it think the world and concepts of the work will be tough to sell to an audience. It's the reason why GITS has Togusa and why Doctor Who has a human travel with The Doctor. Some surrogate-type characters are better than others.

Well fuck me, that looks alright.
Guess I was hoping for a bit more of an..inhuman look? But thats great.

How'd Del Taco get away with making an Abe Sapien movie not related to Hellboy?

it took some liberties with how Hellboy had to be hidden from the public and his relation with Liz but the interaction between the characters was captured very well.
And I guess they chose seth macfarlane because he was famous at the time but he's a pretty sheite Krauss.
youtube.com/watch?v=-MbGTQbzou8

I remember I saw the trailer and thought the same thing

>>Then decides to make the center focus for a good chunk of the movie the most generic 'new guy' FBI agent that is literally only there to be be someone the audience can 'relate' to

This is done more often in movies than other media I believe mainly due to needing to move faster, you on'y have two hours to work it all out and having someone there you can just explain shit to (and the audience) moves much quicker.

Comics and books can "slow boil" this kind of thing and introduce idea in the background or whatever over several chapters.

It's a difference in the medium.

I like this page.

>we will never get a comfy movie about the gang just going on wacky adventures and having a good time

The Hellboy movies are pretty cool but just about every change they made was inferior to the comics by a ridiculous degree. Like why make Hellboy work in the shadows and give him a shoe-horned relationship with Liz? I get Mignola wanted the movies to be different from the comics but shit like this felt like corporate mandates in order to make the movies more "mainstream" for a general audience rather than a creative decision. It really ended up detracting from his character.

>changing just enough to make it unique
You've obviously never read Hellboy if you think the manchild characterization of Hellboy and the quirky scientist character of Abe Sapien are "just enough to make it unique". Then we have the Liz/Hellboy romance and the entire change of setting in that the BPRD is secret and Hellboy not an honorary human but a hidden shame. Fuck you casual.

trips for truth, the movie was watcheble but overall worse than the source material I dont exactly have high hopes for the remake but at least there wont be a song number in the paranormal movie

He claims that it isn't, he is notorious for using the same ideas twice. Look at the reapers from Blade 2, they act and look almost exactly like the strigoi from The Strain.

To be fair the 'guy audience can relate to' character was added because the studio refused to do the movie without him. Del Taco felt the character was completely unnecessary, so he dropped him from the sequel as the studio gave him more freedom with that one.