The shadow

Is the Dynamite version of the shadow any good?

I heard people write it off as a modern marvel era garbage, but the diverse in comics guys said it was actually quite good.

Other urls found in this thread:

pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Arrow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll tell you when they actually get to the plot.

The Shadow: Year One, The Shadow: The Death of Margo Lane, and The Shadow: The Last Illusion are all solid.

The Shadow (2012) is good as well however I didn't like volume 2. Another good Matt Wagner book is Grendel vs. The Shadow.
Some good Dynamite crossovers with the Shadow are The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights, Justice Inc., and Masks.

The newest run is easily the worst Shadow ever written. It somehow manages to be even more unbearable than Archie's.
The rest ranges from mediocre to pretty good.

I honestly think the Shadow has more good books than bad. Although I'm disliking Batman/Shadow right now, I have a lot of hope for The Shadow/Batman which is going to be out in a couple weeks. Not sure what to think of the current Shadow series because I think the Shadow is fine in it but I don't like the nurse character they've made for the book.

That's totally exaggerating. The Howard Chaykin books are way worse.

I disagree that Chaykin is worse, but I agree that Chaykin is dog shit.

>Not sure what to think of the current Shadow series because I think the Shadow is fine in it but I don't like the nurse character they've made for the book.
I agree here. Also I think it's pretty obvious that the old burnt fuck we're supposed to believe is The Shadow is that "Worthy" guy. The second issue making that clear help with my main problem with the series, which was having The Shadow fail so spectacularly as to end up in the situation he appeared to be in in the first issue,

His girasol is missing which is leading me to believe that the guy in the hospital isn't the actual Shadow.

Matt Wagner is generally agreed to be the best current writer who has done work for The Shadow. All of his comics were great and he has a very solid understanding of the character and what works with him.
And some of the crossovers like Masks are pretty solid.

Dynamite's other Shadow comics mostly range from decent (the Green Hornet crossover), to mediocre (The Last Illusion) to awful
Garth Ennis' run really depends on whether you like his style or not. The Fire of Creation is mostly a retelling of The Rape of Nanking with occasional appearences by some Punisher knock-off dressed as The Shadow. It's readable but I wouldn't recommend it.
The recent comics are not the worst because the Archie series, the Chaykin mini-series and the Helfer run still exist (although the latest comic sure is trying to top them) but they aren't really as good as they could be.

By the way, I'm sorry I couldn't storytime any Shadow comics the past weeks, I got hit with a rangeblock for some reason and I couldn't post anything.
I'll see if I can finish The Shadow Strikes next week.

Is that you, Pulp?

No. Pulp hasn't posted in a long time.
I'm Maxwell Grant and I've been storytiming Shadow comics ever since he stopped. I took over his duties

The Helfer series is still the worst. It takes the worst aspects of Chaykin's run and makes them even worse.
It's the one that ended with The Shadow turning into Robocop. I read all of it and it's awful. It's not even great for the "black comedy" it's been praised for.

If there is one thing I'm glad that the new Batman/Shadow crossover does, is that even though it takes unfortunate influence from the late DC saga, it at least retcons the Chaykin saga and everything that followed since, for one, The Shadow is not a robot, and two, Clyde Burke is still alive and Moe and Cliff died differently

Bump for interest

Why not do a Batman/Shadow crossover that takes place during the DC Golden Age?

Matt Wagner strikes me as the only modern writer for the Shadow that has actually bothered to read the pulps instead of just going off the previous comics or lazily writing him as a laughing sadistic Punisher rip-off
He even used aspects of Rick Lai's chronology when writing Year One (while thankfully leaving out the crackpot Wold Newton fanfiction)

I would rather read a Superman/Shadow crossover that took place in the Golden Age.
These characters have literally never been together apart from The Shadow's small cameo in Kingdom Come and I think it would be interesting to watch them play off each other.

>And some of the crossovers like Masks are pretty solid.

Really? Because while I loved the concept I felt the execution in both was lacking. And I liked Chris Roberson's other stuff and some of Cullen Bunn's other stuff. There were way too many characters to focus on in such a short amount of time.

I thought Uslan's crossover books worked better by comparison.

>There were way too many characters to focus on in such a short amount of time.
Understandable and I think this is inevitable of superhero (or villain) team-ups when you have this many characters coming together. I don't dispute this critique towards Masks but it didn't stop me from enjoying it (especially because it had a decent amount of focus on The Spider who is another pulp character I really enjoy and I find to be often neglected)

>If there is one thing I'm glad that the new Batman/Shadow crossover does, is that even though it takes unfortunate influence from the late DC saga, it at least retcons the Chaykin saga and everything that followed

Was that really an issue though? I get the impression most stuff that came afterwards rarely uses the Chaykin stuff as a backstory. Like for instance that Ghost/Shadow crossover in the 90's took place in the 90's and seems to have ignored it.

The only thing I can think of that used the Chaykin stories as a backstory (aside from the Helfer run) was Dynamite's "The Shadow Now", which did use Mavis. Other than that I assume everyone's just doing their own thing. Like Uslan for instance implied in his own crossoververse that The Shadow and The Avenger died at some point in the future and Doc Savage was still alive

I'd actually love to see more crossovers with Golden Age powered-down Superman. In fact I remember that Dave Stevens wanted to do a Rocketeer crossover with that version of Superman but DC nixed it, which was a shame.

>The only thing I can think of that used the Chaykin stories as a backstory (aside from the Helfer run) was Dynamite's "The Shadow Now", which did use Mavis
Which happens to be one of the few other examples of The Shadow being transported to modern age and one of the few other stories that tries to answer the question of what became of The Shadow after 1949 (and most of them use the Chaykin concepts like Shambala)

It's not really an issue but it helps to reaffirm that it's not a part of whatever comprises the character's DC canon but instead a what-if dark future. And there is continuity involved because the new Shadow/Batman crossover explicitly states the previous ones happened, which means there is a timeline here.

Of course, if this series fits in the standard DC canon, or what the hell even constitues the timelines for The Shadow's exploits, are entirely different and much more complicated questions

>the diverse in comics guys said it was actually quite good

he has REALLY bad taste

that's not even close to true

The part in the recent Batman/Shadow crossover that bugs me is who exactly are the heroes The Shadow mentioned that he trained? Did Snyder or Orlando ever provide a list? Cause one of the heroes shown is Green Arrow and that seems to be an odd inclusion. It would definitely mean it's not part of the standard DC canon.

DC hates The Rocketeer.

Why though?

One compound word OP - RAZ0RFIST
Look him up!

The characters listed here that we were able to identify are: Miss Fury, Woman In Red, Green Arrow, Golden Age Whip, The Reaper, Crimson Fox and Flying Fox
Someone theorized a few threads back that maybe it's supposed to be actually the Golden Age hero Arrow, and that it's a coloring mistake. It would make a lot more sense to the narrative.
pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Arrow

There's a few other things about this event that contradict the current DC canon like Clayface being a villain, which means it's either yet another alternate timeline or it simply happened a while ago.