Copypastas aside, this series really is dull. Such an unimaginative magic world

Copypastas aside, this series really is dull. Such an unimaginative magic world.

>write about a war of wizards, where your imagination is the only limit to depict how they use magic as a means of warfare
>instead settle on having them use their wands as guns, except lamer. one of the few exceptions being the hero and main villain, who just hold their wands really tight and arm-wrestle with two magic rays of different colors
>fill the rest up with mundane, run-of-the-mill high school bullshit

Why did this even catch on?

"No!"

Don't watch the films then, read the books. They completely fucked up magic fights in the films by turning them into generic laser beam fights. The books have some really imaginative magic fights.

Seriously, watch the Dumbledore/Voldemort fight in OotP and then read that chapter from the book and you'll see how the film franchise was ruined by lazy directing.

>Why did this even catch on?
Teenagers buy all sorts of crap

Completely agree. I quit after the fourth one. Same shit over and over. Looks good. Has cute little ideas. Boils down to poorly written stories by a lady out of her element.

Just look at Quidich. Like soccer in a way except that none of that "scoring"shit matter because whoever catches some other thing not even involved in the game actually wins. This shows the author's complete lack of understanding sports. Emblematic of the host of other things she doesn't understand about writing.

cute read, dire watch

>"DEH!"

>wizards have spells that can mind control people and fucking time travel
>still hide from muggles for some reason
>muggle world exists entirely independent from the wizard world for some reason
>only students family members and the prime minister are shown to know of wizards and they don't seem to care
>no muggle ever asks a wizard for help with all the problems they could solve for a them or vice versa

The whimsical nature of the magical world was never meant to be taken so seriously. Quidditch was a fun game that didn't make much sense on purpose. You're comparing it to real world sports saying it could never work but that's the entire point.

No. It was failure. Don't try to disguise that. It is like a baking contest that is won by where you parked in the parking lot. Disassociation. She wrote "just whatever" because that is how she views sports. So sad.

I think the main reason they live underground is because if muggles knew about them they would constantly ask them for magical solutions for everything. Wizards agreed they're too different to live in harmony, so they lay low.

As for the PM, he really does care, there's a whole chapter about it. Every PM gets a visit from the Minister for Magic who tells him the basics. Parents of muggleborn students are told as well but I assume they're put under some magical oath not to disclose anything, probably with high consequences if they do.

Back to Sup Forums with you and your autism.

>can transform people into catgirls
>doesn't exploit this or have society collapse into debauchery

where is he? you know who

>Back to Sup Forums with you and your autism.
You have no grasp of basic making-of-sense when it comes to rules. You are obviously a HP fan and thus never touched any sport ever or you are a chick.
OK. Something for everyone. Sometimes the writing can be shit if the subject matter panders to sperg niche. I'm guilty. I like Godzilla movies and they are the worst written tripe out there. You have your faggy little wizards waving sticks around and pretending to know anything about competition and I have my guys in rubber suits pretending to be giants.

>b-but at least the books were good
"No!"

>Parents of muggleborn students are told as well but I assume they're put under some magical oath not to disclose anything,
Don't Hermione's parents believe she's off to boarding school or some shit?

I digress, but to no avail, the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>I digress, but to no avail, the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises.
fucking lol

>Back to Sup Forums with you and your autism.

>didn't make much sense on purpose
There's "whimsical" and then there's fucking stupid.

Again, don't compare Quidditch to football or any other real sport. It's a silly game in a children's novel that was never meant to be taken seriously or compared to real sports. It was designed around making Harry special because he is the one who needs to get the Snitch. You really shouldn't be saying Rowling's a hack who doesn't understand sports, it's a sport not made to make sense. Rowling is a complete hack for many, many reasons, but you're being weird for focusing on an imaginary magical sport not following real world rules.

Nah, they know she's a witch. They go to Diagon Alley with her to buy her magical stuff and they chat with Mr Weasley. We never really see them interact but they know about the magical world.

This. Harry Potter is only shilled due to Rowling's involvement as an ESL teacher, a large portion of Britain's literacy rates are appalling so it's no wonder the only book mainstream adults have read here is Harry Potter.

>It's a silly game
I'm trying to tell you that it isn't even a game. It doesn't qualify. Rowling's failure is not that she doesn't know sports, it is that she can't even conceive a simple structure that makes even a tiny bit of sense. It is a sign that she is actually stupid.

Says the guy who didn't read the books. Also, there are so many franchises to call this the dullest is a little silly.