/fmg/ Filmmaking General

Anxiety Edition.

I’m starting work on my first feature script, which I’d really like to direct. Thing is, every time I think about the logistics of setting up a film shoot, even a small one for a short script, I think, “There’s no way I can do that.” I look at people who got their start doing no-budget amateur work, and I can’t even piece together how to do that. All the motivational bullshit in the world can’t help me figure out how to fucking organize actors or a crew or anything. I’m too scared to try.

Does anyone else have this kind of fear? How do you push past it?

Attached: A4D1E142-477E-4710-B426-C112F774793C.jpg (640x425, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1K_PjWUZhd71BVWWGVXlVboBQc9KR0KkR
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First of all - creating a film takes a small army of people. You can't do it yourself. It's a craft that takes multiple people each with their own responsibilities to make it happen.

Second - you haven't even finished writing the script. The "how it can be done" doesn't matter now. Focus on writing a good script, and stop thinking about anything else until that is done. Once the script is in place, then, and ONLY then can you begin the long process of getting people involved to help you make it happen.

Don't think about it. Just fucking do it. Who gives a fuck. If I feel like shooting something I'm gonna get what I need to make it happen and that's it. I don't even think twice about it.

You’re right, man. You’re so right.

It just worries me, because I’m realizing what it is to want to be a director, to be a leader. I don’t necessarily want to write every script I ever direct.

It...fuck, it’s just that this has happened so many times before. I write a script, I’m excited to shoot it, I call friends, I try my damndest to get shit off the ground, and then it farts out and dies before the camera starts rolling or anyone gets on set. Therefore I never get practice and can’t do things the best I can.

It’s funny, this mirrors a lot of issues I have with talking to girls. I know that “just doing it” is so easy for other people, but I can never wrap my head around the idea of it. I know once I do it’ll be cake from there on out but that first push is painful as fuck.

Bumping.

Gonna post the little I have written up here soon.

>drive.google.com/open?id=1K_PjWUZhd71BVWWGVXlVboBQc9KR0KkR

It’s a first draft so it’s very rough right now but I have plans for the rest of it

Just write the script first, make the script as good as it can possibly be. Don't give up on the whole thing before you even take the first step. If you have good material and you put it out there, people will support you.

Hey man, I'd be honest and say I think you probably want to be known as a film director more than you want to direct. If you cannot get over your anxiety then perhaps you shouldn't be directing. Directing is a complete shit show and can be anxiety inducing even for the most confident of people especially when shoots go wrong. Try a few run and gun short films first and try your hand at commanding people. All you really need is a camera, a story, and an actor or two. If you can't manage that maybe try something else.

I want to believe. I’m gonna keep working on it and post here every so often, when I feel I’ve made some progress, so I can continually pummel it until it’s the best I can make it.

a m p h e t a m i n e s

Film is a total collaboration like based poster said. First finish your script. Second figure out a good short of some variety to shoot. Doesn't have to set the world on fire but if you can tell a story visually with a beginning, middle, and end maybe at your house or whatever, you can probably get a small team together. OR if it's more ambitious than that go for it. But really think "How do I get this idea across visually?" When you get those ideas percolating create a shot list. Watch lots of movies. Read lots of scripts. Always be aware of the set ups, editing choices, pacing and narrative choices. Watch good movies over and over again. You more than likely can do it, but you gotta walk before you run.

How do I even start?

I have a (in my mind) pretty damn good idea and an almost fully fleshed out plot in my head, what's the best way to translate this to paper and the screen?

any Jersey Bros? Small Time Producer looking to collab on some shorts. Have had one of my docs featured at the garden state film festival. AMA

You can't think of making a movie in terms of the final product; It's too massive and you'll freak out at its magnitude.

Instead, you need to break every step into the smallest, most digestible steps you can. So it's not "Oh man, how am I going to shoot this scene", it's "How to I make this scene good for the script right now".

Besides, it'll more than likely change dozens of times between when you first write it and it ultimately gets on the screen.

Besides, if you're having super anxiety right now when it's just you in a room, just wait until you have a dozen people (or more) hanging on your every word so they can execute your vision. Now that's some super fucking pressure.

Just write down an outline. Make a list of the characters with a brief description of what we need to know about each one, then take like two pages to write out a summary of the plot.

Try to approach the whole thing from the perspective of someone who hasn't been carrying the story around in their head for years... what do we need to see, what do we need to know, etc.

I just posted so sorry for samefagging. You have to be super persistent and organized to get it off the ground. It's hard. I produced my own last year and thank god I did all the creative work first because it was paper work, scheduling, hiring firing casting. Even picked up the camera and lights myself. If you want it that badly you have to do everything yourself. Are you based in LA? Use LA casting for your actors. A lot will be willing to do it just for their reel. Do you know a DP? Do you know sound people, editors? Do you know people who do know these people? If you do get lists, watch reels, get your budget together and call them. You will get lots and lots of no's, but you have to figure it out, find someone else etc. It can take a long time to get anything off the ground but my friend there's no better feeling in the entire world than being behind a rolling camera watching what you wrote come to life, seeing all those ideas float around your head come across the monitor as you walk behind the steadicam operator. Realizing you haven't gotten what you need and you've been doing coverage for the first two pages for four hours. If that sounds tedious to you, than you might not have the hunger, because it's all I want to do, ever. Best of luck, it's hard work to get anything off the gorund even a short ofr a movie made by friends. I'm trying to do another short this year but since I don't have time to produce, I'm relying on a line producer. I can't guarantee it'll ever get off the ground because I'm not taking care of everything. But that's my choice and I have to be patient.

1. Don't quit your day job. No company is hiring "directors". If you wanna direct, then write something, and direct it yourself. That's how it done. Do it enough, and do it well, then maybe, MAYBE, eventually you will get recognition through film festivals, internet, etc.

2. If you need a crew, then don't ask your fucking friends. They are your friends, not your crew. Friends are... reluctant, they don't share the same desire that you do, and are only doing it as a favor to you (unless you are paying them real money). Friends are not actors. You're results will not be the best. If you want the best work then work with people who work in film, and care about the final product. Get involved with your local film or acting community. Find local actors - get involved. Cast actors not friends.

3. The position of Director isn't some Presidential honor to be achieved like getting on the honor roll in school. It's a responsibility either given to you (when you've proven yourself), or you take upon yourself independently (with independent productions). It can be a stressful burden if you don't have help. If you are the director, then you are most responsible for the Acting of the cast. Secondly, the type of shots you want. You will be first to be blamed the most if the acting sucks, or the script sucks.

If you lust after the position (like an amateur film school student), but have no clear vision, then maybe being the director isn't for you. Maybe you prefer another film position. Maybe you an undiscovered passion for working in Sound or Audio. The only way you'll find out is to explore your craft. Go work with actors. Work with other film people in the industry Find out how it's done. Focus on making sure the acting is the best it can be.

This. This.
>This.
>This.
Have I stressed how good this post is? Hell don't even try to write the next great novel in your script, it's literally a blue print.

I get that, but honestly it’s not the directing itself that scares me. That’s the good shit, it’s the most in-control I can get, and even when shit goes wrong I’m able to work with people to make it right.

It’s the organization. The sheer amount of planning that goes into it, the technical layer ON TOP of the artistic intention, that’s what freaks me out the most. I barely remember where I left my keys most days.

I like where your head’s at.

Yeah, real shit. I say that I don’t have the time most days but usually it’s the other people who blow me off or are too busy to work with me. I gotta get more reliable people (and also actually paying them might help).

>Hey man, I'd be honest and say I think you probably want to be known as a film director more than you want to direct.

Seriously. There are so many film kids that want the recognition of being a "director", but completely fail to understand the responsibilities of a director. It's a shit-show, and can extremely stressful.

>it’s just that this has happened so many times before. I write a script, I’m excited to shoot it, I call friends, I try my damndest to get shit off the ground, and then it farts out and dies before the camera starts rolling or anyone gets on set. Therefore I never get practice and can’t do things the best I can.

Two things:

1- figure out a way to strike while you're excited. Back when I had roommates and wanted practice, we just skipped the script process and jumped straight into shooting stuff. We'd get a rough idea, sketch out how the short should work, and then improv'd the rest. Not everything has to be super structured, and if that's been a stumbling block for you, then get rid of that step. Make it fun and worry about perfection later.

2- While I was great at shooting things off the cuff, when I was younger I was terrible at follow through. I could always rally my friends to make something, but could never capitalize on their enthusiasm to make the next step. My solution was teaming with someone who helped me push the project alone. If you're good at the rally, you might not be good at the push and that's okay. Find someone who is. FIlmmaking is a team sport.

There is a reason it's always said that there never is enough time for preproduction. Planning is tedious but it pays off especially once sets get more ambitious and more complex. If you think a shot list or storyboard is hard, try throwing in lights, rigs, dollies, sliders, and steadicams. You want that auteur long take? Imagine planning for all the mise-en-scene. If whatever you're doing is overwhelming, remember it's just one step at a time, but make sure you're done with as much planning as you can before a shoot starts.

Also what the other posters said. Film is collaborative. A lot of the technical responsibilities can be shared with other heads of departments, but finding such people and having them willing to work with you is a whole other problem.

It’s not that it sounds tedious, that feeling is exactly what the fuck I’ve been looking for. It’s euphoric, and I’ve been chasing that sunset ever since junior year of high school. It’s just nerve wracking. I always think that I don’t know enough, that I’m gonna completely butcher it. I know it’s hard, but I’m desperate to figure out what steps I need to take to get it working.

You’re damned right on the friends thing. I know that it’s a responsibility and sometimes a burden to try and go for a director position, but I know I have things I want to say and I know how I can say them through film. Cinematography’s also been a really interesting venue I’ve considered going down.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread so far (unless some shitposter comes in by the time I post this). It’s really helpful and exactly what I needed to hear right now.

I can't tell you how much I despise these film kids. It's horrifying how mediocre film school students can be at times.

I love you all good night

You won’t know till you try, maybe that’ll inform your ambitions further or take you in a different path. Set something up giving you room to try— don’t try to make Lawrence Of Arabia your first go, but find something that excites you and make it, the anxiety won’t do you any good.

Ask film students what they want to be - 90% raise their hand for director. Ugggh. They have no clue at all. The ones who raise their hand for other positions. Those people have a future.

Wish me luck bros!
My script is done, the animatic as well. I have a DoP and a producer on board. Received 4 actor demos.

This'll be my biggest live action project, after doing mostly animation!

Attached: 1455604182988.jpg (1184x1046, 468K)

As somebody who doesn't go to school for film but wants to try to start making movies myself (probably just with friends or whoever I can find), there's so many short "films" I've seen by film students that I just hate looking at. I know that's pretentious but I just look at them and oftentimes there's just nothing interesting happening and it's often more mediocre than it is bad. I think first and foremost that's what I'd like to avoid.

Very cool user,Can you tell us what's it about?

If I give 0 fucks about being a director and only want to do cinematography, how do I go about getting practice for that? Should I try to frame and shoot stuff myself and just make it look good?

Thought: make a 70 min """"kafkaesque"""" psychological horror with the premise being a guy waking up in his bedroom with all the doors locked and the windows bricked shut. Loud pop music plays for one hour at midnight. He will hallucinate, comb through his life (during those scenes his memories will look like a theater act with mishima-like style) and finally, try to escape

Will get verrrry creative with the shots and filmmaking aspect. Want to keep all fresh. Emotional filmmaking. Think tetsuo the iron man in one room

Find a director (it honestly shouldn't be too hard) or do street photography. What makes a really good DoP thought is how capable he is in appropriately bathing the set in light. That you probably cannot pick up on your own so maybe try interning at a production company or something and watch what the pros do.

So whats everyone working on now a days.

The story is pretty simple. I wanted to do a horror short, but it turned out almost more of a supernatural/eerie thriller.

To keep it real short, I want to play with the paranoia of something taking the place of people you know/love, kinda like The Thing.

I'm not for the idea, but if you can convince a crew to get behind it then make it. I think too often we go crazy imagining our dream projects but forget that film is a practical art that involves making real what is in our heads through a collaborative process

Yeah. I mean, its not the first thing i want to do. Buuuut, thinking practical. It would actually BE able to be done. Few locations, one main actor and a few others for short memory scenes that are mainly dialogue on a stage. No big effects or need for many expensive props.

Gonna get old real fast. No WAY it's gonna carry energy, or the audience's attention for 70 minutes. Here's a better version. Make it 5 to 10 minutes MAX. Pretend a local theater is you giving you a 10 minute slot (before the main movie is plays) to show your film. Here's your chance to show what you are made of with a 10 minute limit. If you can do an interesting short version, then there is hope for you.

too long. make it shorter. don't be like film students that always make super long artsy films because its their "artistic vision".

>it’s the most in-control I can get
oh my sweet child

Then get a producer. A filmset is nothing more than an office on location. Shooting scenes is just running through documented lists of shots and codes. If you aren't a very assertive functional thinker then get a producer to put the production together. Even if you are funding it yourself at least get someone to execute all the production so you are only left with approving where the budget goes.

Also if you want to direct because you think that where you have most control then I have bad news for you.

Listen to these others dudes. Make a solid short film, I'm pretty sure by the end of that you'll look backing thinking its a piece of shit. a 70 minute exercise in "rweal hollaywhood filmmaking" if you turn you off filmmaking forever.

Anyways I'm picking up the edit on this feature documentary again. First edit needs to be done in 2 months.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.39.40.png (1109x314, 415K)

this lighting is giving me anxiety
those 'candles' are so painfully green

I've been getting interested into filmmaking for some time. Is not a big dream of mine or anything and I'm not exactly young to starta carreer in this, but I think it would be cool doing something like it.

The thing is, if I ever want to do films where and how do I start. What I'm interested the most is editing and cinematography.

Or this is something I should be really passionate about and not start it if I'm not gonna be in it one hundred percent?

bump

Money, Money and more money. YOU NEED MONEY. Even if it is a "no budget" film you still have to pay for things and feed the people that work for you. You can achieve anything with money.