Thoughts on Christopher Nolan's "Following"?

Thoughts on Christopher Nolan's "Following"?

Attached: 14d51374e7ada7d874f25dd3ca1a2292.jpg (1000x1500, 695K)

shit.

>a shitty, paranoid neo-noir!

Honestly though it’s a feature length student film. It’s got the usual Nolan nonsensical plot but it’s very poorly made and acted.

It was a student film wasn't it? It's only an hour long or some shit from memory and was something he was taking around film festivals while wanting to get Memento produced.

>feature length
It's like an hour and ten minutes.

I actually watched it recently.
It's pretty good, but the acting can be stilted sometimes. Cobb is a nice subversion of the charming self-insert character (a lot of these indie movies or books have characters like Cobb who are perfect in every way and obviously are just the writer/director's self insert. In this movie, both the main character (who is a writer) and Cobb seem like they could be lame self-inserts in the beginning, but they turn out to be actually pretty good characters). The music is really good and creepy. It matches the mood while also doing its own unique thing.
There are a few moments where it's clear Nolan is a beginner. Times where the movie is too silent or too dark or just unclear and it's obvious the director is trying to imitate movies he likes. The twist is really good, I didn't see it coming desu.
All in all, it's a pretty good first input. It's not as good as Memento, a later crime thriller by Nolan that told its story through nonlinear means. I'd give Following a 7/10

Did anyone else notice how the protagonist had the Batman symbol on his door? Really makes you think.

I was surprised to see it's hated here despite this board's obsession with Nolan. I'll admit it's not perfect but it's still very smartly written, like all of his films.

> I was surprised to see it's hated here
But it's not?

I mostly agree with this. It didn't blow me away or anything but it was definitely more entertaining than many other films I've watched.

>smartly written

Cmon lad I like Nolan but the smartly writtern doesn't apply, sure he juggles with great idead but the execution remains muddy

yes and there's a batman logo in Memento as well

It's ok but Memento is his true peak imo before he became over reliant on spoonfeeding the audience with endless exposition

There's also a Pokemon logo.

DO I SMELL A KINO?

have you seen Dunkirk ?

Literally zero exposition

Memento is great but the film is literally nothing but exposition, dude.

yes Dunkirk is his first break from that and it's great, he finally realized his weakness
I'm aware and yet it wasn't as bothersome as in his later films

Dunkirk is certainly a step back in exposition amount from his previous films but to say it has zero exposition is completely dishonest when all three segments have a character that is entirely devoted to verbally explaining exactly what's going on in the plot.

Considering its a cheaply made student film its pretty great. I've seen many worse movies made for 100 times the budget.

It is better than Under the Skin.

Terrible. I used to be excited to see Nolan's films but I was slightly disappointed by Interstellar and then I watched Following.

It was a one-two punch that made me realize that Nolan's films look good, have an interesting premise but anything beyond that is mediocre at best.

Judging Nolan based on his first film is kind of dumb. Do you claim to know everything about Kubrick based on Fear and Desire?

I understand what you are getting right and I would say that you are correct. However, I am not judging Nolan based on his first film. It was that watching his first film, disliking, propelled me to examine his later work again, and I realized that they had the same shortcomings that I overlooked but criticized Following for.