Is Ex Machina worth a watch?

Is Ex Machina worth a watch?

Since it's directed by the same hack that made Annihilation I have my doubts.

Attached: ex_machina-368494509-mmed.jpg (300x444, 29K)

i liked it. good cast. interesting enough story.

It is if you like stuff about AI.

yeah british kino

Yes.

Do you like to dance?

yes, it's better than Annihilation

so is oscar isaac a muse of this particular director ?

It's a good character-driven movie that asks the same old questions sci-fi has always asked.
Coupled with some great performances, unsettling music, and long, drawn out shots, it makes a very unnverving watch.
The practical effects are great in it too. Definitely worth a watch overall.

People will tell you it's good and then fail to justify that opinion
Don't watch it
Oscar Isaac and Alex Garland are both shit
I regret paying to see Annihilation in theaters and feel like I got ripped off
I only saw it once and I'm entirely certain that no amount of repeat viewings will make it into a coherent narrative
My current favorite movies are Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive so I don't even think that's necessarily bad
Its just that Garland fails to make a genuinely thought-provoking film, instead choosing to ape other movies that are supposed to be "smart"
Watch Solaris instead, the original or the American remake. Either is better than Annihilation.
And Ex Machina is probably the most self-important version of the story it's trying to tell
I, Robot starring Will Smith is a better movie

Garland is an idiot. He makes movies for idiots.

Annihilation is at least an improvement over this trash, but at it's best it was a 6/10. Flawed, but worth watching once for some of the visuals. At it's core though it's deeply stupid.

ExM is just straight dogshit if you have any brain in your head. Although apparently judging by some of the responses here it makes morons feel like Einstein when they watch it.

I can't remember a single detail from this movie, but I know I've watched it

>I regret paying to see Annihilation in theaters and feel like I got ripped off
>I, Robot starring Will Smith is a better movie

Attached: 1444328344694.png (304x366, 231K)

I enjoyed Ex machina for the same reasons I hated "her"

It understands actual AI theory and is thus able to make a more compelling story around it.

Are Solaris and I, Robot guilty of not fully understanding its subject matter?

Can you actually explain anything that you just wrote

I liked this over Annihilation, less drama

My god.
As an engineer this movie was the worst garbage I have ever seen in my entire life.

That's not hyperbole. Literally every fucking scene had a glaring issue in it. Every. Single. Goddamn. Scene. Destroyed all suspension of disbelief with how fucking stupid it was.

Ex Machina was actually so bad it revolutionized my understanding of film-making. It's the movie that tipped me over the edge and made me realize that "arts" people truly are a different (and inferior) breed compared to STEM people.

I agonized throughout the entirety of Ex Machina over how it could keep getting worse. I asked myself, "Why?! How?! Who did this?!"

And then I realized the problem with the entire movie was all of the characters were written not as scientists or programmers or statisticians or anything of the sort. None of them were written like people in STEM. They weren't even written like Social "Sciences" people or Philosophers or anything like that.

No. They written as the lowest scum in the universe: Artists. The whole fucking problem with Ex Machina was it was a movie about "What if artistic retards had the power to make artificial life and autonomous compounds? How BADLY would they fuck it up?"

Ex Machina is a movie about how stupid artists are. How tremendously detached from reality most of them are. How little a role logic or critical thought or foresight plays in their day-to-day lives.

Ex Machina is what made me realize most writers/directors/painters/whatever aren't necessarily human by modern standards. That if you cast them out into a prehistoric wilderness they'd just die immediately. They wouldn't know how to ration resources or build tools or set traps or structure a community. They'd eat, sleep, and fuck, like lesser apes, and then die. Because they just don't have the innovative spark that defines humanity.

>makes grandiose claims
>doesn't back them up
I mean i didn't like it much either but come on

I watched this over an year ago, but IIRC oscar was doing research on his own because of the ethical complaints there would be if it was public, and his dumb decisions are the decisions of a bored alcoholic, not an "artist".

>Ex Machina was actually so bad it revolutionized my understanding of film-making. It's the movie that tipped me over the edge and made me realize that "arts" people truly are a different (and inferior) breed compared to STEM people.
excellent

Attached: drunkill.jpg (600x790, 52K)

>As an engineer

Right....

Oh wow coversations about science are in it and you think the characters are right inn their understandings, must be a 10/10

it's amazing it's the same dude. Annihilation was a slog, whereas this was pretty much good in every aspect.

>whereas this was pretty much good in every aspect.
It's passable, it's also not worth watching twice.

It's good. Very memorable too.

>Solaris
I only read the book, what the hell did the movie change to make it about AI?

My point is that Alex Garland is a hack

It's the Black mirror effect.

Hard for me to take whatever you're trying to say seriously if you don't understand the subject you're addressing and you're scenarios don't fucking hold-up.

It's that simple.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not

Who wants to play an unlikable fuck-up in every movie?

Attached: 850236666-920x584.jpg (920x584, 49K)

I agree that having a good understanding of the subject matter doesn't actually make the movie automatically good. I'm just saying it works heavily in its favor given how badly other movies fail at it.

but I think the movie is fantastic to be honest. The tension, the beauty and grace of ava, the imposing figure that is Oscar Isaac.

>The tension, the beauty and grace of ava, the imposing figure that is Oscar Isaac.
I don't remember much tension, I remember nothing about the robot or its name, Oscar Isaac is a terrible actor who has never given a performance that justifies his fame and acclaim, I don't remember a single character's name--nothing about it worked for me. I remember nothing about this movie except blood spreading on Oscar Isaac's shirt after he got stabbed.

It's very close to being a great movie.

Ex machina much better, much

Garland just doesnt get there.

He makes clever films and have clever characters, but his film making never reach any high for me.
It just linger somewhere between decent and great. It's just to anonymous and bland.

The scripts he comes up with are better than his films. Many directors are style over substance, Garland is substance over style (held up by performances, Isaac in particular.
And the use of music is often way to safe or barely noticeable. Carpenter would call it wallpaper music.

Both Ex Machina and Annihilation are both solid films, rock solid 7/10's.

Attached: 1498188217399.png (325x345, 162K)

one of the best movies with 3 characters

Yeah. Annihilation is dogshit aside from the last 10 minutes but Ex Machina is a solid watch. It's often pretty stupid but it's overall okay.

>As an engineer
stopped reading right there

Attached: no thanks.jpg (325x220, 20K)

Well, I respectfully disagree but you have the right to your own opinion. Good day to you sir.

I was hoping you would at least support your own opinion instead of just fucking off to Jerk-Off Land like every other Alex Garland apologist but if you want to end this discussion here that's fine with me

it and 28 days later are retroactively bad because of how bad annihilation was. i feel so fucking ripped off fuck this asshole

Op here again, I finally watched the whole movie.

Nathan is what a 13 year would think a company CEO would be. Hated the character.

This movie fails at the premise it sets out to achieve, which is interesting dialogue. Dialogue with an AI capable of competent speech and thought is something that has tons of potential because you're not dealing with a human being and you can play with that, a lot. Kaleb could have asked much more interesting questions that could result in a better development of the two characters.

He could have asked why she loved him or what she feels. He could have straight up undressed himself and see the reaction of AVA, or he could have literally asked Nathan to get inside AVA's room and have sex with her.

The movie, for some odd reason, goes on an existential tangent for 10 minutes where Caleb thinks he might be a robot himself. This comes out of the blue, there's not a good justification for it and it comes off as bad filler.

The escape sequence doesn't make much sense either. Seems like the writer got stuck in a roadblock and used Kioko as a deus ex machina (pun not intended). Kioko doesn't understand english and yet she understands AVA and helps her kill Nathan. It's also weird how Nathan, being the genius that he is, doesn't have a panic button or just a back door access to his robots to shut them off with a command word or button, more so when he's had experiences with rebellios AI's before.

TL DR: It's a decent movie with annoying characters and missed opportunity with the character's dialogue.

Attached: SOMEBODY.jpg (891x775, 56K)

> not listing the superior robot movie with Will Smith

Attached: wickey wickey wild.jpg (728x409, 69K)

>Oscar Isaac is a terrible actor
>about it worked for me
>I remember nothing about this movie

Like you made a well supported compelling point? At the end of the day all movies are subjective in how you appreciate them. I suppose you could objectively argue on certain aspects like how well it represents real AI theory. But if we're talking about stuff like tension. I guess I could say that the movie does a good job at putting you in the shoes of its main character. His meekness contrasted with Oscar's intimidating figure, the overall feeling of uncertainty and that you are being kept in the dark, the claustrophobic isolation and constant surveillance. It just seems to all come together perfectly. Even thought I knew there would be a threat to our main I was never sure who that threat was. Was it Ava? Isaac? both?Was he a threat to himself? The movie managed to cleverly play with my expectations and make me run into all those scenarios. I also think the movie is quite smart in many instances, out-thinking even the oldest movie veterans, like when it shows itself to be one step ahead of its public when the main character open his own veins to see if he himself is not a robot and that that was the whole "turin test" all along.

But you could say that you didn't feel that at all and that make my point mute.

Attached: 7177934.jpg (275x200, 10K)

It depends. If you're a fucking faggot, don't watch it.

holy shit annihilation was so boring i fell asleep halfway through.

ex machina is way better

You don't know what the word 'object' means. The film itself is an object. It exists objectively.
> I also think the movie is quite smart in many instances, out-thinking even the oldest movie veterans, like when it shows itself to be one step ahead of its public when the main character open his own veins to see if he himself is not a robot and that that was the whole "turin test" all along.
You can't even spell Turing right, you fucking faggot, you are no authority on 'smartness' if such a thing exists. Movies like this shit themselves under scrutiny because they're not as smart as they seem. The are inherently subjective, you're right--subjectivity drives the production of the film and the experience of the viewer. But there is an objective process in place which put the film on the screen, and somewhere along the line, this movie became something that appealed to people like you who can't spell Turing right while turning off people like me who are familiar with the Chinese room argument and that sort of thing. It did nothing for me. I felt like I was watching a movie that was just going through the motions. It was competently made but it did nothing that interested me and it made me feel like it was presuming too much.
>Was it Ava? Isaac? both?
I don't even remember because the movie made that little of an impression on me.

>Chinese room argument

And you assume I'm not? I love AI theory. I've read a lot of books on it from Superintelligence to our final invention. Instead of making your own points on the movie or attacking my own, you spent half your comment attacking my knowledge of the subject based on a typo.

Your arguments against this movie seem to boil down to

>I don't even remember

Unlike this movie, your arguments shit themselves under scrutiny.

>I love AI theory
I don't care if you love it or not or if you think the movie gets it right,.
So now it's a crime if a movie makes no impression on me? I hear it get hyped up but it felt mass produced. I don't care about any of the characters and there were no good performances. This movie is an assembly line product with nothing going for it but star power, manipulative music, and flashy set design. A 6/10 if I'm being generous. That's nothing special. Stop sucking Hacklex Garland's dick.

trash

Hard to take you seriously when you don't remember the movie you're criticizing and thus can't elaborate on any of your points beyond making empty statements like:

>I don't care about any of the characters and there were no good performances

Well this has been pointless and unproductive. Thank you for your time.

Vikander with tits looks good

>Hard to take you seriously when you don't remember the movie you're criticizing
I'm sorry I haven't watched a movie I didn't like in over a year and haven't given it much thought.
>Well this has been pointless and unproductive. Thank you for your time.
Whether you like it or not this movie could have been saved by better performances and better characters.

*blocks your path

Attached: IMG_6912.jpg (600x200, 18K)

>as an engineer
opinion immediately discarded