Plot Holes?

What is a plot hole? I feel like everyone has their own definition and cannot decide what the best description of them really is.

Is the crew in Annihilation not reaching the lighthouse by boat, or along the beach a plot hole? It would've been much quicker than traveling through swampland and foliage on foot.

Or is that just a retarded decision by the crew?

Attached: file.png (800x800, 540K)

leviathans

Why didn't they just use the eagles to fly there?

>Hershlag, a trained operative, holding an AR15 right up to her face and pretending she can aim or see anything in that position

Attached: 1495476806033.webm (1280x720, 1.17M)

VAGENE

>pokes a hole with a pen through a folded paper

It was mentioned early in the film by the whore with cancer that they tried boats but they didn't work

Why didnt they just blow it away with a big fan

Attached: 01EB9037-E999-4022-B106-E0C09C7A16B4.jpg (500x500, 82K)

I'm a fan of that idea

The thingy literally became a hole at the end

They couldn't see beyond the shimmer. They had no idea what was on the other side, so they just crossed over closest to the base.
They assumed the lighthouse was still there and was ground zero, but they didn't really know what they would find.

Hehehe

Attached: 06B951B0-9E2B-4D91-9383-61C974D80B67.jpg (562x468, 96K)

yet when they find something weird and take samples they don't go back to report

they'd didn't give any hint what was going on in the oceans. Actually if there were leviathans, why didn't they (or any of the shimmer lifeforms) travel outside the edge of the barrier in the oceanside?

Why didn't they used an insulated wire and see if they could send communications this way? Or use a large faraday cage? Or send intel back via homemade rockets like you played around with in highschool?

Attached: file.png (700x500, 179K)

>destroys your movie's credibility
Daily reminder, literally no one can dispute the steel cable attached to a winch theory.

Attached: harpoon_gun_by_the_5.jpg (2000x1000, 602K)

Just turn off your brain bro!

>Sir, the bubble is continuing to expand at an increasing rate, it will contact this base within two months, the first city three months after that, we estimate it will cover the entire earth within two years. It is the gravest threat the human race has ever faced. The last team we sent in comprised of highly trained special forces completely disappeared
>Suggestions lieutenant?
>We have a division made up of the best soldiers we have along with our best equipment, supporting a team of the best scientists from both America and the EU who specialize in xenobiology and genetics. My plan is that we have them board a US Navy destroyer just north of the edge of the bubble along the coast, then we sail south at full power. We should be at the lighthouse within 45 minutes from mission launch. Alternately we could fly a Boeing C-17 above the top of the bubble and just airdrop the team in directly above the lighthouse. Again ETA about 45 minutes from mission launch.
>Hmm, its a good plan. But I've decided to go with something else. Remember that 55 year old female psychologist we hired to screen the teams going in? Dr Ventress? Well she wants to lead a team into the shimmer.
>S-sir? A psychologist? What could she possibly-
>She also wants to take a cutter, a hoodrat lesbian, a suicidal geologist, and some lady who cheated on her husband and feels guilty about it.
>Sir is.. is this a joke? Are you messing with me right now? They have virtually no combat tra-
>This is deadly serious lieutenant, and I suggest you start treating it that way.
>Sir! Yes sir, and the destroyer, we take them down the coast that way then?
>Nah were just gonna have em walk in, longest possible route, should take em about a week to get there encountering god knows what along the way. For armaments were gonna give em some M-16's although most of them don't know how to shoot. Dismissed lieutenant.

Attached: Carnac.jpg (472x349, 75K)

fire the harpoon across and drag it back to get some soil samples? good idea user. This negates people complaining about RF interference.

They could also send a crew member in with a steel cable wrapped around them in a suit so they could explain first hand what they saw, without them wandering off and not coming back. Just give them 20s in and reel them back, then put him/her in quarantine

Hey now, all that thinking makes for bad movie.

How big a cable are we talking about here?

Attached: 6D86D4C7-5495-43E1-8F2B-F64BDC3C8B7F.jpg (500x549, 74K)

>ALIEN RADIATION CAN'T MELT STEEL WIRES BRUH

I'm still trying to figure out why this movie is popular. Its like when a "artist" takes a shit on a canvas, and then pees on it and vomits PMS blood he had just temp swallowed and everyone is raving its the next best art because no one knows what the fuck its suppose to be.

Everyone dies in the movie, crazy ass acid-tier cancer-like things happen, ambiguous ending -- ITS SO INTELLIGENT, SOME EMPOWERING, IT'S UP TO THE VIEWER TO COMPREHEND WHAT HAPPENED

Attached: 1519998989286s.jpg (125x106, 2K)

Should have ended it with,

>yes, President Obama

such a stupid post

>IT'S UP TO THE VIEWER TO COMPREHEND WHAT HAPPENED

But it's shown in the movie what happened. Not ambiguous at all.

I'd say a plot hole is when something is missing from the script that should be there, usually some unexplored option that the characters had. It's more like if you made a modern horror movie and the characters never tried to call 911 to escape their situation, that would be a plot hole. Introducing that none of the phones work for no apparent reason would be more of a contrivance to me, not a plot hole. They did answer that option even if the answer was shitty.

the women being allowed to get in is a plothole

because women are retarded and don't belong there

>I'm still trying to figure out why this movie is popular

It's sci-fi and it just came out 48 hours ago. Even if it's bad (and in this case it is) nerds are still going to want to talk about whatever sci-fi is new.

Stop breathing please.

Attached: 1518407253651.jpg (1200x1000, 174K)

the entire movie is a plothole

>the characters never tried to call 911 to escape their situation, that would be a plot hole.

That's poor writing. A plot hole is inconsistency/unexplainable gaps and incidents in storytelling.

How do you know they didn't try all those things for the last two or three years?

because a harpoon idea would be foolproof and they would've known what the shimmer is doing to the lifeforms. Since they had no idea what was happening once they entered, they didn't do the above tests.

Just turn off your brain brah, it's just entertainment.

What if there was magic alien juice inside the Shimmer to melt the harpoon?

Depends on how far they want to fire it in. They could conceivably fire it MILES in and even attach a camera or other shit on it that links directly back to the base, negating any kind of influence. Insulated steel-cable with cabling attached to it is infallible.

Attached: 2mm-7-7-316-Paslanmaz-elik-U-ak-Kablo-Tel-Halat-7x7.jpg_640x640q90.jpg (640x640, 83K)

Nice occams razor faggot

There is no indication of that. electronics and the crew themselves weren't physically harmed when they entered.

Easy example: people always say "How did Bruce Wayne get all the way back to Gotham after escaping that dungeon prison thing? Plot hole!"

But it was already established in the first film that Wayne was capable of navigating the world and building/utilizing underground connections even with zero money. Therefore - not a plot hole. But if that was never established in the film timeline it could be considered a plot hole.

Thats a big cable

Attached: F9E6CB1E-AC2A-4053-B024-CDDDE5919AB0.jpg (716x768, 88K)

Okay so wait - you want them to send in people first and the harpoon second? I thought the point of the harpoon was so people didn't have to go through?

Basically a plot hole is when a character or plot point goes against the established flow or current established in the movie (usually established in the first act). This different from things changing (vis a vis the 'upside down' world of a second act) or an inciting incident occurring. For example. Above, someone said characters not calling 911 in a horror movie is a plot hole not true. If the movie had already determined that no one should be able to call 911 and then a character did, THAT is a plot hole. Or if a ship cant go warp 9, and then has to go warp nine at the climax, that is anticlimactic because of the counterintuitive nature if it, because it's a plot hole. A lot of times what people mistake as a plot hole is just bad writing. That's much more common.

Nothing that entered the zone ever left it. Maybe steel wires are different though.

Why does she just leave her stuff in the tide zone and walk off?

For you.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 35K)

Watching this movie was like taking a slow release poison, the more and more I begin to think back on it the worse it gets; the shitty characters, the pacing, the CGI, the intense railroading and plot armor, that FUCKING ENDING. I haven't watched a movie in a while that was so bad it starts to get me angry if I get away from myself.

Attached: 1518629440576.jpg (600x583, 79K)

I loved this movie but oh boy did that part really get my goose.

A plane can fly ABOVE the bubble and not be inside it, so they could easily have dropped people directly above the lighthouse at the center of the shimmer and let them parachute down to it. They would have been there at the lighthouse 20 min after takeoff. There is no amount of hand-waving by you apologists that can explain away this glaring Eagles To Mordor plot-hole.

Attached: frodos.jpg (243x207, 7K)

Did you just unironically use vis-รก-vis on a Sup Forums board?

It's actually not up for debate what a plot hole is, a lot of people just don't understand what it is. Misconceptions about very simple concepts is one of the symptoms of having a board and site populated by far right dumbasses.

A plot hole is a contradiction in the plot of a story. That's it. Something that is merely unexplained by the plot is not a plot hole. If a character eats a banana in a country where there's no bananas, that isn't a plot hole. The viewer is meant to interpret for themselves that the country imports bananas, for example.

it was a 7/10 movie but compared to cape shit and Black Panther it is a fresh kinda movie

You could try both methods. they had 3 years.

thanks user.

It would be nice if they demonstrated it though. Or at least a crew member holding an 8ft stick into the shimmer, and pulling it back.

I guess she thought she was going to die no matter what, so might as well be comfortable? Idk

Out of everything this is the least thing to complain about because it makes perfect sense that a dumb vagina would do something illogical like that.

It's always up to the viewer to comprehend what happened. Film makers have no control over how stupid the people are that might see their movie. And this movie was very straight forward, even with the most minimal amount of energy put in to paying attention.

>they had 3 years.

Exactly.

Did you want them to spend five minutes of the movie detailing EVERY method they tried for the past three years?

Quit making up words to win arguments

Attached: 6BA969CC-B872-465E-B57F-32B3403D3431.jpg (508x524, 36K)

actually before you leave user, did you watch the film Annihilation? If so, could you give an example of a plot hole in it, if there are any?

I'd want a reasonable explanation for WHY they didn't know what the shimmer did, or why they didnt approach from other angles.
at least the Eagles to mordor can be explained by the eagles being stuck up pricks and not wanting to be involved with the conflict.

as far as I can tell, the only method they tried were 12 manned missions.

A MONTAGE

See this is not a plot hole. Perhaps just not great writing as far as establishing what is and isn't allowed in middle earth. Bit in any case the overall lore and history of the eagles shows that they are fiercely guarded creatures that rarely deign to intercede in other races affairs, and often would deal with it their own way, not in response to another's idea but out of sheer respect or if the world itself we're at stake. And again, thusly they did intercede a few times in the third age, but also who knows how rings may have affected them or could habe made them corrupt, etc. Again, this isn't exactly backed by the exact books in question, but by the overall lore and canon of the author. So it's just bad writing, but NOT plot hole, as clearly the eagles taking it to my doom and it's all over has no real possibility given the glow of the sort and all existing lore of middle-eartg. Therefore, actually, if the eagles would have done that, then it would be the very definition of a plot hole. This is what people often miss. By not understanding even basic storytelling, they then fall into this trap where suggesting that something not happening is a plot whole, when if that VERY thing HAD happened, THAT'S what would have been the plot hole. Top Kek people, just look at a dictionary and/or read more, so it's more readily discernible what's good storytelling or not

I WANT MCDONALDS TO CHEW THE FOOD FOR ME

Surely they never tried anything else before that.

As user mentioned, the harpoon idea could be performed and they could've shown this experiment or a similar one, to explain why they had no knowledge of the nature of the shimmer.

Are you done with your blabbering dissertation now? Okay, now reread what you said:

>and often would deal with it their own way, not in response to another's idea but out of sheer respect or if the world itself we're at stake.
>or if the world itself we're at stake.

Attached: 1399761043124.jpg (355x417, 40K)

This film has massive logical inconsistencies. Perhaps they aren't plot holes. But they are still a sign of incredibly lazy or dumb writing.
As much as it sounds like a meme, steel wire method makes perfect sense, and there's literally nothing that indicates it would fail.
Is the obstacle one-way only, so nothing can leave?
Cool. This is very important to the plot. They could've established this by Portman entering, and then trying to go back, and failing somehow.
This would explain something very basic and important to the viewer.
>JUST IMAGINE BRO
That's such a shitty argument. By taking it to extreme, why even make films? Just imagine them, lol.

Where do you think those bones in front of the lighthouse came from?

concordantly

Ok honestly, I will tell you something. Part of watching film for decades has taught me that the time and effort to watch movies is worth it, for the love of film, but the time part is premium. Knowing what to spend time on watching involves a solid basis of knowledge in and respect for not only filmmaking, but for me subjectively - storytelling is paramount. The substance, structure principal and style of it, et al. Objectively, given the whole gammet of filmmaking considerations, oblivion may lookgood on paper as a blockbuster or 'action sci fi' or whatever. But subjectively, given the direction, writing, cast, and a few other things making up the movie, in about 30 seconds. I decided annihilation was not even worth my time. I wouldn't even waste my time on it. Because there are much better options for me given my taste. Objectively, hey, try it you might. Like it. I'd rather seek better films and the time on those instead.

Kane (Bane) gathered them and brought his dead cremates cadavars that spot as he was there for a year, is my guess.

I could see what they were trying to do with Annihilation, and I give them points for the effort, and I enjoyed parts of it. It surely wasn't the worst film of the year (That prize goes to Cloverfield Paradox).

>It surely wasn't the worst film of the year

I don't think anyone it saying that. I would even say it's worth watching at least once. It has some good things about it. It's like a 6/10.

It's just grating to see people talk about how intelligent it is when at it's core it's dumb as shit.

>given the whole gammet of filmmaking

I believe you mean gamut.

That would have been a thrilling scene.

You know, instead of respecting your audience enough to not show and have them connect the dots in their head that the military probably tried multiple things before getting this desperate.

It's to be correctly assumed by the audience that they exhausted every other method.

>when at it's core it's dumb as shit.

I believe you mean its. No apostrophe there.

What would happen if you had a really long steel wire attached to two helicopters on each end of the bubble, then you had one rise in altitude, then had a guy or camera zipline, using gravity to go through the upper atmosphere of the bubble? If anything goes wrong, you can just go up in altitude until the wire is no longer inside the bubble.

Attached: hmmmmmmmm.jpg (722x464, 29K)

So how do you utilize the rest of your valuable time, besides posting on Sup Forums?

they didn't have to show the scene. They could've simply mentioned that they attempted to bring samples back with equipment but it didn't work (and say the reason for why it didn't work). That could've taken 15s.

The goal of the women's mission was to go to the lighthouse, collect data, and come back. So, it seems mission control had the idea it was possible to enter and subsequently leave the barrier. If so, why didn't they know about the mutations?

Can't you piece it together by yourself? Does everything need to be explained in a fucking montage or exposition dump? If all these great ideas discussed here aren't based on common knowledge, how are we having a discussion about them? What requires a bigger suspension of disbelief? A group of scientists not trying the most basic forms of exploration and reconaissance already established by the military or NASA and similar agencies, or a research team that decides to just send people into an alien biosphere because that's the first and only thing they could come up with?

the point is that there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

Nothing that went into the sphere ever came back out.

If they were 100% certain that nothing that goes it doesn't come out, there would be no point to the "gather intel" mission, since they couldn't bring the intel out. It would be equivalent to a black hole.

Since they hope to have the crew return, they know objects can pass inside and outside the shimmer.

It's a sphere. If you shot something through it at an angle, like a harpoon, why wouldn't that work?

I can't wrap my head around your thought process here.

There was a reason the team consisted only of suicidal/nothing to lose type of characters. Everyone involved knew that they most likely wouldn't return, same as the dozen teams sent before them. Their ultimate goal was to reach the lighthouse and somehow try to resolve the issue. They chose this route because they had already exhausted their other options (except retarded shit like nuking it).

>fly above the top of the bubble with a helicopter and hover there
>hover directly above the lighthouse
>lower the team down in a bucket attached to a cable

Wow, that was hard familia. Really had to put on my thinking cap.

Attached: tom-baker-4th.jpg (570x400, 33K)

except for motherfucking kane

Let me explain: 3 options:
1.)they know you can pass in and out
2.)they know you cannot
3.)they are unsure
They expect the crew to go in and gather intel, and come back to home base. So we can rule out option 2. We are left with option 1 and 3.

Either way, they should have tested the barrier and mentioned it to the audience.

Teaching mostly. I like to help people Understand. Hence posting on /tv haha

Didn't you watch the movie? What the actual fuck.

I know this wasn't explicitly stated in the film, but the book had reasons why you couldn't do this. I wish those would have been put in the film.

the shimmer alters the matter, the dna, it alters everything. The cable will be melted or turned into some shit.

if it's as tall as its radius from center to edge on the ground, this plan is utterly stupid

I stopped at the blacked scene, I'm not a fucking cuck soyboy like you

You're the idiot here, not him.
Not!Kane did still leave the Zone.

Anyone else noticed how the lesbo tatoo ended up on Natalie Portman during the interview scenes?

>I can't read.
NOTHING THAT WENT IN

I thought the mission was the gather data and report back to home base? If this is not the case then I apologize.

Tattoo was there when the nerd became a plant

>if it's as tall as its radius from center to edge on the ground, this plan is utterly stupid

Turbine-engined helicopters can hover at 25,000 feet for five hours. Nice try though.

It was a horror movie that did the horror brilliantly. The payoff in the lighthouse was everything one hopes from a mystery like this. The eerie feeling and anxiousness it inspired was phenomenal