I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

>I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

I consider myself to be quite an intelligent man, but what the actual fuck did he mean by this?

Attached: bildo.jpg (1280x720, 46K)

He was wasted when he said that.

He doesn't know half of them as much as he would like to.

He doesn't like half of them as much as they deserve to be liked.

>Half of you, I don't know as well as I'd like to, and less than half of you do I like by a factor of one half that you deserve to be liked by.

He would like to know people more, however the people he knows are cunts.

Ah, I see, that really clears it up. Thank you!

Read the Silmarillion and you'll understand the mythological significance.

I don't know half of you because you are a bunch of worthless scum.

Everyone ITT is wrong. It almost seems as though you are all not only illiterate, but also disinclined toward mastery of the sport and skill of mathematics. What Bilbo is saying, essentially, is that out of the faces he can be bothered to recognize, he doesn't like the ones he does.

It's hinted in the text that Gandalf (an Istari, not that you would know what that is) actually wrote Bilbo's speech as a way of permanently divorcing him from the community of Hobbiton. It's a philologist's ultimate fuck you.

You've really disappointed me with this thread, Sup Forums. You seem very stupid.

INSPECTION

the Hobbit leaf

You sound like a fag are you a fag?

I read these books once in elementary school and moved on to science fiction, the superior genre.

Only less than half of you deserve to be known better

Based

Autism

Develop your hypothesis

its less than half of you deserve to be known half as better as I knew you the other half of you

> I don't know you guys very well and you're all good people but I find you annoying some times, that's my bad

Solved the riddle for you

This, and OP should not consider himself an intelligent man

Try again cunt, Gandalf hated Bilbo's theatrics at the party.

these were his exact words in the appendices

In the book Tolkien says they all had puzzled looks on their faces trying to see if it added up to a compliment. Good writer that Tolkien.

tfw theres a book

I like this place and its people and though of course I am not personally acquainted with every single person, I like you. Except there are a few people here that I am quite too much acquainted with, who I do not like.