Sub-Mariner #15 (1945)

Hey, anybody up for a truly strange, and casually racist Sub-Mariner comic from the end of WW2? Here goes...

Ads and everything :)

WWII Timely stuff was just great comics.

Fish-Pirates... different than Gold-Pirates or Drug-Pirates, apparently

And the first interesting thing is that Namor has a 4th floor walk-up in Manhattan.
And the- OH MY GOD HIS HEAD

"A load here that'll satisfy the fish urge of half o' Boston" Keep that shit to yourself.

I've found that in these old comics you really need to pay attention to the plot via the speech bubbles, because the art sure as shit isn't gonna help.

Every person who sells fish in NYC is required to have a terrible accent.

"Yowlin' Catfish" never really caught on as well as "Imperius Rex"

Umm... That's not waves...

How does Namor pay rent?

Maybe he moonlights as a Sturgeon

No shit he's not fooling. With one hand, while swimming, he lifted a boat out of the water and used it to wreck another one.

Namor casually murders everyone again

Remember, kids - Eat plenty of Butter every day!

And when questioned by the authorities, he tells them to fuck off, he's gonna go take his girl out on the town.

Namor's a pimp.

It's convenient she always vacations near the water. I wonder what would happen if she were to take a week off in Phoenix...

And the plot device to have Namor come along is the train takes off before he can get off?

Fuck the haunted hotel, I'm gonna strip naked and go eat oysters right out of the water.

Oh wow this is Scooby Doo *before* Scooby Doo

Another WTF quote: "If you're a ghost, I'll eat you!"

I have no clue what the hell is supposed to be going on here.

they don't make comics like they used to

"Well, darn, I must have killed him when I pushed him off the balcony, over the cliff and into the water. Oh well... Who's for Long John Silvers?"

tl;dr

Sometimes that's a good thing, though. But I still like the old campy stuff. They didn't find themselves too tied down to basic things like Reality...

OK... The apartment, the suits, all of that I can accept. But a Hat? With that giant head? Did he buy it at Joseph Merrick's estate sale?

Yeah no harm done just shattered a fucking window while we travel at top speed

lol so he just left the boat going at full speed with no drivers?

Are those eyebrows or antenna?

bottom right, reaction image anyone?

Jesus Namor, I didn’t think he was always a murderous dick

My favorite thing is how Namor doesn't seem to have any clear agenda or theme - just keep people from trying to pull assorted criminal shit in the most murderous and destructive way possible.

Was that sass in the first panel?

These old comics are long, eh?

Wouldn’t a fucking canon weigh down the ship enough to make the benefits almost useless

Namor always was a catty bitch

Ok, now you're really not fooling anyone here, 'Angel'

Plot magic, plot magic everywhere...

Kind of impressed by the quality of the lettering here.

Angel - with the power to show up and threaten people!

What exactly are his powers?

It helps that he stumbled upon an extremely stupid criminal.

Not sure that insurance fraud warrants the death penalty here Angel, but oh well.

George Carlin used to talk about this in one of his routines...

How fast do you have to be to run through a fucking window?

Gonna go grab some lunch and stuff. If the thread is still here I'll come back later with some more.

>OH MY GOD HIS HEAD

He *is* a mutie, after all.

That said, his mother mus have suffered greatly during his birth.

>Boston
>full of fish-fuckers

Knew it!

He can do that, since Captain America and Sue Storm shield him from justice and any kind od punishment.

>potatoes
>raw

That shit's nasty.

ZOINKS!!! A HAUNTED HOTEL?!!? SOUNDS LIKE A MYSTERY, SUBBY!