Flashpoint is not the answer

Look, I get it, a lot of people want to make a few retcons here and there in the DCEU. But trust me, a Flashpoint movie is a fucking stupid idea. Its an overrated story that casuals parrot because it had as much marketing as Marvel's Civil War, and it doesn't really work this early in the universe's narrative. Not only that, but its a complete waste of The Flash's first movie, not to mention time travel retconning shenanigans is confusing as hell to the general movie-going audience. Now I know what you're thinking, "Batdad!" but its not worth it. We still have to sit through a plot with Diana and Arthur fighting for the planet (Who isnt sick of hero vs hero by now?), and it would completely waste Thawne by introducing him this early. Wouldn't you guys prefer a Rogues movie or Grodd instead? Or do you really want a Flashpoint plot?

But I want edgy Thomas Bat, played by Negan.

Fpbfp

They could just make it so that the Flashpoint movie has nothing to do with the Flashpoint comic just like they did with Civil War

Id be more interested in Joker Martha, but both really wouldn't be worth it in my personal opinion
I can understand that, because the movie is arguably way better than the source material, but this is implying WB can create a script that's worth a damn. I'm just worried that it will be a checklist of shit of what to undo rather than a cohesive narrative

All of these movies have very, VERY little to do with the stories they're based on, I highly doubt Flashpoint will be any exception.

I'm glad someone out there sees sense. Though the reason I'm against a Flashpoint movie is more because it's just basically screaming "please forget the other movies, we know they sucked but look, we'll fix it for real now". It's just more couse correction and reactionary tactics except this would be more obvious about it

Flashpoint wouldn't be a Flash movie, it would be an apology movie, a begging movie. And that shouldn't be Flash's first outing

Thing is we already know what edgy Bat looks like thanks to BvS. It wouldn't be anything new and any attempt to make it look like it is would be laughable at best

>wife is dead too
he wishes

user, I agree with everything else you said. I've beaten the drum for Flashpoint loudly and proudly, but not without context. The only reason I mention it is because WB announced it as what they were planning this past season. Without that I wouldn't even consider it for a third Flash movie.

Personally, I've insisted WB take the clean slate the end of JL feels like and give everything but Wonder Woman that preceded it the coldest shoulder, and do everything to ignore them and their content not related to source material as thoroughly as possible. Don't do origin stories for the League, and jusr drop all of them into their established careers as superheroes. Rename the MoS franchise as Superman, and identify the sequels to it and Justice League with subtitles instead of numbers. Produce all but Batman and Aquaman to a lesser degree with different tone, aesthetic, and cinematography than what we've been given. I think doing this accomplishes 95% of the work of spiritually retconning MoS, BvS, and SS.
If done effectively, nothing would need to be said or done publicly to make the message clear to the public.

What would be left is the deaging and recasting of Batman, which Flashpoint would facilitate better than anything short or canon usage of a Lazarus pit. I'd also personally like Superman's background to be tweaked a bit, but that could be referenced in the next Superman solo movie, ideally not via flashback.

If origins are going to ignored overall, then just drop Flash into a movie with the Rogues, and allow the background and code of the Rogues to be established via discussion among the police, and within the Rogues after Heatwave going to far. I don't think the concept of a pack of thieves that uses meta-like tech in a world where metas appear in public without fear, is a hard sell. Combine that with Barry still being green out of JL, and make the movie about his starting to master and get better with his use of the Speed Force.

I liked Flashpoint, but you can't fucking make Flashpoint without setting up Eobard Thawne, and everything that Flashpoint leads into, the return of Wally West, there is no Wally West Kid Flash in the DCEU. No Abra Kadabra, and what about The Button? You really think the DCEU is going to lead into Watchmen? Doomsday Clock? They're just Rushing to Flashpoint because it was a big event, but there's so much continuity it needs that they're just not going to do.

Id kill for a Flash movie focusing on The Rogues and structured as a heist film. Take notes from Heat or Oceans Eleven, and we're gold. The only Rogues that could really hold a movie on their own anyway is Mirror Master and Captain Cold, so its best just to introduce them as a gang from the get go

>Id kill for a Flash movie focusing on The Rogues and structured as a heist film. Take notes from Heat or Oceans Eleven, and we're gold.
I dont know about focused on the Rogues, because I wouldn't want it to come off like the Batman movies with the baddies more interesting and the hero flat, but Heat would be particularly great to model since Pacino was drawn out and developed as much as DeNiro and his crew.

They're not going to do a Crisis/Flashpoint type movie to reboot things. They'll just stop doing them for awhile and eventually start over. That's how it has always worked.

you do know just like every other comic film it will be based but not actually use the story word for word, they will use flashpoint to retcon shit

Flashpoint isn’t the answer. A Aquaman movie is. Being dead serious. Unlike Ezra miller flash. Audiences are loving Aquaman In Justice league. He the only character besides Wonder Woman and batman audiences are giving a shit about right now.

I kinda want them to do it just to get it out of the way… the whole, Barry shouldn’t time travel because it’ll have terrible effects on the timeline. Also it’ll help if he gets over his mom’s death that much quicker, I don’t want 3 movies of, “but muh mom’s dead! And I have to find out who really killed her!”
However I don’t want them to do the retcons, they just need to make good movies, retcons won’t somehow make future movies good.

Well yeah, but tell that to WB.

Flashpoint's popularity is one of those eternal mysteries to me.

Seriously, why? What makes him so interesting that literally every edgier iteration of Batman doesn't already have?

So it'll be WB's Days of Future Past, except there's gonna likely be more retcons

Thomas wayne is interesting because it show how Bruce Dream(his parents survive) would mean nothing if he died isntead, it also show how their parents loved him.

I would not mind it if they kept wonder woman canon that was the only DC movie I actually left the theater and said it was okay.

Everyone hates DCEU batman, Wonder Woman and Aguaman are the only characters that the audience and critics approved.

DCEU only hope is to be like MCU, a B-lister universe.

It’s going to happen, regardless of how you feel.

Ben Affleck wants out. They will use Flashpoint to replace him and other actors deemed unpopular and change continuity.

Every woman I know who has seen JL went for Khal Drogo... er... Aquaman.

A lot of people will go to see any damn thing because of a GoT actor or actress being in it... that's why even no talent Sophie Turner got the part of Jean Grey in AoA in a world where Bonnie Wright, Bella Thorne, Lauren Ambrose, Molly C Quinn, and Scarlett Pomers are walking around breathing air.

Hell, even Rose Leslie would have been better if you absolutely had to have a redhead from the GoT franchise.

It's why they cast Maisie Williams as Rahne / Wolfsbane in the New Mutants.

>Its an overrated story that casuals parrot
Who do you think these movies are made for? Serious question

This right here.
They are going to take everything from you and there's nothing you'll be able to do about it. It's not about the original fandom at all. It's a buisness now.

Alright, I was gonna start a new thread for this, but this one is close enough. I just read the new Rebirth Flash trade called Running Scared. It is about the Reverse Flash primarily.

It is complete nonsense. The Reverse Flash is a nonsensical villain, whose motives, skillset and framing seem counterproductive to the very notion of storytelling. I am bewildered beyond belief. What the fuck? How does Barry do anything? How does anyone write stories about the Flash when this lunatic could literally fuck everything up in the middle of a "villain of the week" comic.

Also, I just want to talk about the trade. I'll be honest, the way people treated Barry in this seems a bit over the top.

How about teaching Ezra Miller how to fucking run.

He looked like a fucking retard running.

Thawne's entire shtick is IT WAS ME, BARRY trying to ruin Barry's life, not kill him, because he's an insane fanboy who found disappointment when finally meeting his idol.

>Thing is we already know what edgy Bat looks like thanks to BvS
the surprise isn't Batman because he uses guns and is all Punisher-lite. You're missing the point idiot.

I do get that and it is funny just how closely the meme is to the actual writing in the comic, but at the same time I can't help but feel his existence means that nothing in Flash comics can ever make even a teeny bit of sense.

How can there ever be closure? Hell, any character that has even a little bit of characterization might be vaporized out of existence or history whenever the authors deem them a big enough deal for Thawne to care.

Hell, his very existence means that even flashforwards in OTHER dc comics can't be taken at face value (which I'll admit is already true, but to a less crazy degree).

That's because Thawne is a living paradox given the number of times he's ran through the timeline. There is no end for him unfortunately, meaning Barry life, and by extent his very book, will always have the possibility of this asshole popping up thanks to time travel fuckery. What are you not getting? Closure isn't something well known in comics anyway. Nobody stays dead forever except Uncle Ben

Of course Flashpoint isn't the answer. It's so obvious about the reboot and not the story itself that it's pointless. They have two options, goi ahead from where they are, keep Superman as is from Justice League and give solos to the other members in a more upbeat tone and fucking take Affleck out back and out him out of his misery. Just replace the actor, nobody at this point will care. Or wait 5 years and start try again

Personally I think they should go with the first option and use the next year to properly plan out what they want to do while Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman 2 fill the void. Thy may have to take a couple of financial hits like the early MCU did but the main focus should be on quality for long term stability.

>DCEU only hope is to be like MCU, a B-lister universe.

If the MCU's success and DCEU's failure has taught us anything it's that you should never play on easy mode

I guess I just don't understand how to care about whether Barry and Iris get together or if Wally West will ever trust Barry Allen again or if Meena ever becomes a good guy again or whatever actual story/drama they are hawking if everything ultimately comes down to this guy.

Indeed, flashpoint only works with a established universe and even then is not that good of a story. WB should wait a few years and just start again with the universe.

Well duh, I don't blame you. Current Flash books aren't good unfortunately, but I wouldn't call Thawne the source of the problem. Go back and read the good stuff. And I will say this, Iris West is a fucking boring/shitty love interest. The only Flash spouse people cared for was Linda, and she was with Wally

>Indeed, flashpoint only works with a established universe and even then is not that good of a story.

I agree. The bad thing is this universe has all the characters needed for Flashpooint except Green Lantern and Captain Atom

I honestly don't know why I kept buying them. The first one put me off, but I thought they were getting better. Now I'm not so sure.

Oh well. Any other DC Rebirth recommendations? I am currently keeping up with Deathstroke, New Super-man, Superman, Green Arrow and until now, The Flash.

Super Sons

Well theres the first half of a two part series called Batman: The Dark Prince Charming that's pretty good. Art is gorgeous, and its Joker plot that isn't edgy or world ending.

>Hoping for for a full length movie starring filthy hippy Fey Otherkin Flashkino.

WB would be better advised to just fill a dumpster with money and set it on fire.

That's the one with the annoying new Robin? This is the second recommendation I've gotten for it. I guess I'll snag it up. I liked the Superboy's antics in the Superman trades.

First I've heard of this. So, just a two book thing not at all related to Rebirth or even normal issues or canon? That might be enough to get me to try a Batman book. This bat family stuff kind of puts me off.

I think part 2 drops next year. Its very self contained. Personally Im just waiting for the complete trade. Also forgot to mention that you should pick up Rebirth's Red Hood and the Outlaws. Jason gets some good characterization, and the team dynamic is pretty good

>That's the one with the annoying new Robin?

Yeah but it plays really well with Superboy because he never takes any of his shit and even shows him up regularly.

That's good. I’ll put up with it, I guess. The whole Robin thing (especially what appears to be an insane one) doesn’t gel with my concept of Batman, but I’m down to try new things.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

>Look, I get it, a lot of people want to make a few retcons here and there in the DCEU.

A *few*?

No.

ALL.

I want ALL the retcons. Seriously. Start over. From scratch.

Which they WON'T do, of course, because (a) pride and economics dictate that they can't, and (b) they have ONE hit and it happens to have a political (i.e. feminist) fandom and significance attached (rightly or wrongly) to it that prevents them from simply dumping the whole thing as a failure from top to bottom.

Really pisses me off, because, in another, better universe, Cavill was given a script where he actually portrayed, you know, SUPERMAN for two movies instead of Snyderman, and did a good job. But we got SIX wasted years of them flailing around trying to figure out who the guy in the blue jumper with the cape was actually supposed to BE, because their first and second takes on him were so panned.

Guys who can embody the physicality of Superman, with the look, as well as Clark Kent, with the humble demeanor, and maybe be able to pull off both, do not simply fall off turnip trucks in front of casting calls. Wasting six years of an actor's prime age to be portraying your tentpole character is a fucking travesty.

The problem with that idea is that edgy Flashpoint Batman isn't something that would have the same contrast anymore in the movies as in the comics given how BvS Batman was already a fucking edgelord.
DCEU Batdad would only be more of the same shit

>instead, DCEU Thomas Wayne Batman is kind and benevolent and just an all around better person than Bruce
>Classic Batman mixed with Adam West
>everyone feels awkward about what a dick whistle bruce is

First they need to fix autistic flash who runs like a retard, get him a comic accurate suit then go from there.

Is there an actuall Flash villain that can eve remotely challenge him other than a fucking speedster?

I like Gorilla Grodd, fight me

The JL suit actually looks pretty okay when the person wearing it doesn't look like a feminine twink whose only expression is "terrified almost to tears."

Mirror master is his most powerful villain

I think you might struggle with cape comics in general, buddy.

Mirror Master, Captain Cold, Grodd, Weather Wizard.

>Nobody stays dead forever except Uncle Ben
Remember when people used to have Gwen Stacy and the Waynes on that list

A multiverse crossover between DCEU and the Arrowverse could make for a really fun movie.

Uncle Ben will probably be off it soon enough too.

Well, that probably is true. I really liked Batman: Brave & the Bold the cartoon so I wanted to dive into DC when I heard about Rebirth. But it seems comics aren’t really as episodic as you’d hope and intertwine a lot. They’re also so dramatic and don’t have the charming dialogue I want.

>all the characters needed
>no well-known loved Wally West
fuck off