Serious question

Serious question.

How to do legacy heroes right?

Jaime Reyes.

A good legacy hero isn't a clone who just retreads another characters past hits, and they don't go out of their way to shit on the predecessor with their own strengths/accomplishments. They are their own thing, who took lessons from someone and their own mistakes

This.

which is what pisses everyone off about the Batman beyond reveal in Justice League, that Terry is part of a cadmus project at creating a new Batman.

Like Damian?

Yes, but Sup Forums is too autistic to get past "muh unlikable brat" meme.

Its been discussed before, but that little tidbit actually makes Terry's character stronger. Despite being a literal clone of Bruce, even down to an orchestrated tragedy to ensure Terry would follow Bruces footsteps, he was still his own Batman. He had his own way of dealing with criminals, and in truth, he was better than Bruce on a social level. Terry never alienated the ones he loved

Stop being triggered over everything you insignificant losers.

If mulan came out today you lot would find something to cry over.

I legitimately believe that the only way to make it work is to get rid of the sliding timescale. Legacy heroes work best when they happen as a result of passing the torch, but torch passing can't really happen in a non-contrived way if a hero is forever locked in physical and mental stasis. You have to let them age and grow- let them get past whatever trauma is driving them to be a superhero. Let them heal. Or, if there's no trauma that's driving them, let the crushing weight of hero work catch up with them. Slow them down. Make them realize that they can't do this forever, even if they wanted to, and that the only way to make sure their city always has a hero is to train another.

That's why Batman Beyond worked. In Bruce's case, he had the spirit to keep going, but his body simply could not keep up with the demand of being Batman... So he passed the torch.

Wally West would be a far better example of I don't know enough about Speedy, although DC made editorial choices with him in the 70s and 80s and continued some of these and similar issues in the 90s/2000s and well into New 52. Donna, again, I don't know enough about, but I do know she has a complicated convoluted history that makes some of this difficult to get past.

Dick probably also can be said to do this but there's again too much editorial meddling from DickBats to other things, so he wasn't allowed to be his own man in a number of ways, that Wally was.

>Its been discussed before, but that little tidbit actually makes Terry's character stronger.

Not, it didn't. It was completely unnecessary, for exactly the reasons you give. Terry was already a great character, both as himself and as a Batman. Making him Bruce's clone didn't add anything at all to him, so why bother?

You're wrong, it does lessen the character because it implies that Terry can do great things because he has Bruce's DNA, rather than being his own man.

I wouldn't cry over its mediocrity, but even at the time people saw that it was well past Disney's early 90s second golden age.

1) a personality
2) actual flaws
3) a story that warrants them taking on the mantle
4) building their own supporting
5) not shitting on the original and their fans

Do you not know how DNA works? His genes don't automatically mean Terry would make a good Batman

You don't, they're a stupid concept. The only one that works and makes sense is Robin and it's because he's been around since day 1. All of the ___-Family's are shit.

Make good characters and stories while respecting the past characters and stories.

Also note that "respect" and "copy" are different words.

What about legacy villain?

I feel like the original Young Avengers run did a good job with them.

Robbie Reyes is another good one.

>legacy Villains
I like this kind of stuff, it should be used more

Cassandra Cain filled a spot that was vacant for over a decade and was a very different kind of character to her predecessor and had very different strengths and weaknesses

that's a good way to go about it

Depending on how you define it, there are a huge amount of legacy villains.

>2) actual flaws
What if the original character lacks in that department?

The relation between former and the new red hood is really a poetry. The different contrast in style too.

But the the entire point of using Bruce's DNA was to make a good batman, you fucking retard.

This.
And also this is the reason why i will always prefer Nightwing Dick instead of Batman Dick.

Make them black and/or female. Such a bold and original artistic choice is sure to acquire lots of fans and make sales in the top ten.

fpbp
To expand a little on this, a legacy hero should first and foremost be able to stand on their own as a unique character with their own personality, backstory, supporting cast, etc. The "legacy" part comes into play by having them acknowledge and respect their predecessor(s), but not to be too constant or in-your-face about it. Neither should they resemble them to the extent of basically being their predecessor(s) with a fresh coat of paint.

These characters are more brands than actual characters. Bruce Wayne will never stop being Batman permanently, he's too cemented in that role in the eyes of the public. Anything beyond that will be seen as an elseworlds, alternate future, or a temporary break before Bruce becomes Batman again.

GL work really well

Don't reboot your universe after establishing a timeline that works really well.

First you let them retire.
Then you let them die.

Let the originals age and retire at some point. Time in the big two never goes forward outside of staying relevant to current events. That's why all these adult sidekicks seem so awkward. It won't ever happen with the big two, but someone else will do it.

Don't have the new guy be better than the old one and praised by all, while shitting on the old guy.

>a spot that was vacant for over a decade
Huntress wore that costume in your pic first in No Man's Land and was "Batgirl" for portions of the story before Cassandra Cain.