Spider-Man: Homecoming

Now that the dust has settled, was it good?

I just watched it a few days ago. Karen is my MCU waifu.

I really didn't like the movie's versions of Flash and MJ, but I still liked the movie. I especially like that they skipped the origin story this time. I wish they did that more often with superhero movies.

It was worse than Wonder Woman and WW was mediocre at best.

Don't bring this cancer from Sup Forums

I really liked it.
>inb4 not muh

>MJ

She isn't MJ for fuck sakes.

OP here. I forgot to mention I enjoyed it. I liked Peter. Also, Tony wasn't in the movie for nearly as much of the time as Sup Forums led me to believe.

Its biggest problem is that it doesn't provide a WOW moment to make it stand out from the previous Spider-Man films. It's not bad, but it's not worth talking about either. One of the most glaring issues however is how it feels like a checklist of "shit already done in past movies that we can't repeat". So no skyscraper swinging, no Daily Bugle for some reason, and most of his supporting cast is butchered. Doesn't help that it goes out of its way to remind you that its connected to the MCU

She's not Mary Jane. But she's MJ. That's her role in this.

There hasn't been a Wow moment in Spider-Man since the train.

She both is, and isn't Mary Jane. It's basically a toe test seeing is audiences will buy her as Peter's love interest and from what I've personally heard, she's not well received. Part of that may be because Raimi's movies really solidified Mary Jane as Pete's girl for audiences.
On that, I can agree

And maybe because she is a bad character.

Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like a decent amount of the problems/conflicts in the movie were caused by Peter, or he just made things worse.

Well, I hope you're right. I didn't like her at all. Plus, Mary Jane is kind of important. I actually liked having Gwen in the previous movies, but that's because she was actually a thing in the comics too. Replacing Mary Jane like this just feels wrong. That would be like replacing Minnie as Micky's love interest or Olive Oil as Popeye's.

I agree. I think that's a good thing though. It made the movie feel more personal.

Mr. Keaton was this movies saving fucking grace. It was terrible.

Actually Happy is responsible for most of this shit
I'm just offended by how half ass it all is. Like they couldn't fully commit to Zendaya playing Mary Jane, so they create this weird, unlikable OC creation that just pisses off fans, and confuses the general audience. She's just fucking there, randomly shows up to be annoying, and adds nothing to the plot

>She is and isn't excuse.

It is frankly isn't her. It is just a stupid reference to her.

How is that an excuse? Its basically Sony/Disney not knowing what to fucking do. It doesn't make any goddamn sense as just a reference. I'm not defending the character by any means, I'm just pointing out the rationale behind the awkward ass nickname

I recently rewatched it too, and I still really liked it!
That ferry scene was legendary

Why would they make that reference at all if this wasn't their intention? They gave her the MJ nickname and wrote a whole scene around it. This is a movie with a script. There are no coincidences here.

>no Daily Bugle for some reason

because they would have the tough task of casting JJJ again

>so they create this weird, unlikable OC creation that just pisses off fans, and confuses the general audience. She's just fucking there, randomly shows up to be annoying, and adds nothing to the plot
Disney seems to be having this problem in general lately.

I cant wait for the clusterfuck of Venom isnt connected but maybe it is... to happen

I liked when the lowly henchman enlightened the evil supervillain and corrected his ignorant comment when he called Native Americans Indians. It established what a bad person he was.

They gave Peter Parker a Ganke Lee, the suit AI was fun, and the dude who played Vulture was really menacing in the car-ride to prom scene.

This movie made me all kinds of happy.

Whoa, I didn't know Karen was MCU

Without exaggeration this time, the Vulture really did absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm pretty sure selling unregistered weapons to convicted felons is wrong. Especially when it's a convicted murderer and it's salvaged space-weaponry.

This version of the Vulture actually did Vulture-y stuff.

The Vulture was done so well, and I honestly think the entire last third or so of the movie, when it's just Peter and Vulture squaring off is incredible.

I hated the rest of it though. I don't understand why they put Ganke in. What happens if you try to do a Miles movie now? Does he get Harry and Gwen? I'm pretty sure Miles is going to happen eventually so... I just don't get why they used his supporting cast, especially when Peter's cast is so strong already. Plus, we haven't really gotten a Peter/Gwen/Harry high school dynamic in the movies.

Also I hated the AI suit, and honestly, I feel like all the Ironman shit is a huge disservice to the character. Spider-man is the one marvel character that can stand completely on his own, and the fact that they thought he needed Ironman to prop him up makes me wonder what the fuck is going on there.

AI guided webbing or whatever the fuck is the least compelling way to show Spider-man's powers. They could have taken anything from Slott's run and they go with "Suit, activate web #69!". Simply terrible.

Only because the government stiffed him and left him unemployed for trying to do his job.

Call me nuts, but I'm pretty sure eminent domain doesn't work on fuckin' alien spacecraft that fell out of the sky a couple weeks ago. Should've been fair game for private companies to pick up and sell to the government, if they so desired.

>So no skyscraper swinging, no Daily Bugle for some reason
It's just the story taking place in Queens and not Manhattan.

No friend, not that Karen.

>What happens if you try to do a Miles movie now?

You don't

Fucking hell Raimi

It was bad movie

Only thing I missed was a swinging scene.

I mean, I know he was like super rookie and didn't even leave Queens, but the swinging scenes are always awesome.

Name a 2017 movie with good cgi.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I liked it at the time but it's one of the weaker of the Marvel films.

I'm still really unsure how they can sustain a franchise like this with a film every 2 years. I mean, they seem to relied on a lot of twists and "This changes everything" moments like Aunt May finding out (with no fallout), and yet they plan to keep this "change the status quo" franchise going? I just can't see where this franchise can go with this route outside overhyping Miles Morales.

Too much High School shit for me, but I'm too much of an old fuck to relate to anything about High School except for some vaguely bad memories.

Everything else was great though. Michael Keaton was fucking awesome.

>the dude who played Vulture
You're too young for internet.

I think it's great and one of the few MCU movies that really strikes balance between being a part of larger cinematic universe, but also being its own thing.

While some choices made perfect sense to me, others, as others said in this thread, I would've done differently, mainly Flash. I still think he would've worked as jock bully even within movie's context, but I guess he was an ok comic relief. He easily could've been like Alistair Smythe instead.

The weird part to me was how weirdly cranky Jon Favreau was. Was he always like that? It seems weird to me that guy who'd hold on to Tony's wedding ring everyday would be so neglectful towards his nephew. I know it's revealed that he was actually sending to Tony all his "reports", but his crankiness felt a bit like a plot convenience to me and forced the whole "overlooked teen talent by adults" thing too hard.

Surely your mouth dropped in Amazement when you saw Peter Parker dancing!

Horrid movie.

>Implying that that isn't comics accurate