Isn't the whole "mutant conflict" illogical in the Marvel Universe?

Jayden Collins
Jayden Collins

In Marvel people have powers for countless diverse reasons. Somebody like Dr.Strange and Professor Xavier aren't that different yet one is stigmatized while the other not. Same could be said for many heroes and villains, won't bother listing them all.

All urls found in this thread:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slan
Kayden Moore
Kayden Moore

Yeah racism and bigotry are stupid and illogical!!

Levi Robinson
Levi Robinson

Mutants represent racism/gays, it's not supposed to make sense. Also, Marvel citizens are the most stupid, hypocritical, and angry people in fiction

Christopher Wright
Christopher Wright

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that shitting on someone for being marginally different is sort of dumb and senseless.
And yet . . .

Aiden Myers
Aiden Myers

It's worse if you are born with powers, apparently.

Don't try to make sense of Marvel's civilians. One day, they were Inhumans biggest fans, going out of their way to smell their fart to see if they could become Inhumans themselves. Few months after, they were glad that Inhumans were dying in concentration camps. No reason was given for the change of opinion.

Brandon Gonzalez
Brandon Gonzalez

Are you memeing or serious? I mean from a technical sense, humans and mutants can do most of the same things via magic and technology. You would have no way of knowing if Spiderman, Thor or Captain America were mutants or not.

Justin Morgan
Justin Morgan

Also this. Marvel Civilians are worse than world War II era German civilians, if you were on fire they wouldn't piss on you to put it out.

Chase Anderson
Chase Anderson

No. Mutants are extremely notable in comics for the young age their powers manifest and their frequent inability to control those powers.

Landon Hernandez
Landon Hernandez

What about prodigies like Dr.Doom?

Levi Miller
Levi Miller

Yes and no. Dr. Strange isn't exactly a public figure, Xavier isn't outwardly a mutant.

It's the fear that one day you're going to wake up and your kid has grown eyeballs for skin and when he farts it explodes. That's why the Morlocks are kind of a better example here. Anyone can gain powers, or build a suit, but one person who snaps their bones off to use as weapons is different because they're icky.

Don't get me wrong, it is a little silly, but at least there's no "gene" that can be passed down from someone who gained their powers in a scientific accident. It's like a more extreme example of homophobia because HIV/AIDS is more prevalent among them.

Carter Russell
Carter Russell

I'm serious, but I feel that you misconstrue what I'm saying here
What I mean is that it's an incredibly stupid and senseless thing, but all forms of bigotry are.
I'm not trying to pretend it's a good metaphor.

Austin Turner
Austin Turner

Couldn't they just lie?

"I'm not a mutant, I just ate toxical waste yesterday, that's why I have two noses now!"

William Baker
William Baker

Don't get me wrong, it is a little silly, but at least there's no "gene" that can be passed down from someone who gained their powers in a scientific accident
Spider-Man's daughter has powers.

Asher Clark
Asher Clark

Well yes some could in theory, but sometimes it's more extreme like Cyclops just suddenly having beams explode out of his face uncontrollably, causing massive destruction. Kinda hard to write that off as just a fluke.

Gabriel Rodriguez
Gabriel Rodriguez

almost all children of supers in the Marvel U have powers

Justin Diaz
Justin Diaz

How can they even tell though? is correct. Also you have people like http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Russian_(Earth-616) who are "normal" humans but have unnatural super strength.
But being bit by a radioactive spider by a fluke and suddenly being ripped is ok.

Adam James
Adam James

The mutant hate was so mindblowingly stupid that they created Sublime. Basically a sentient bacteria (kind of like Despotellis). Wants to evolve or takeover the earth or something, but it can't infect mutants so it infects humans and turns them into lynch mobs. Or something to that effect. This shit gives me a headache.

also the writers don't care. sometimes i'm not sure if they ever cared. These people are really fucking stupid. Why do I read comics?

Colton Scott
Colton Scott

Yeah, but the public doesn't know that. It doesn't fix the hysteria. Valeria Richards doesn't have powers from cosmic rays, but her brother happens to be a mutant.

Sebastian Ross
Sebastian Ross

Pete wasn't suddenly ripped by any means and he has a secret identity so that's not really a valid point at all user.

Tyler Turner
Tyler Turner

"I ate toxic waste yesterday, that's why now my eyes are connected to the punch dimension".

I don't see the difficulty.

Luis Martinez
Luis Martinez

That's the thing, they can't tell. I mean, Cap is pretty apparent - he was a national icon whose powers were created by an American experiment. Thor is literally a God - Asgard appears on Earth and shit.

Spidey is still hated and considered a menace in a lot of cases. I mean, if you read House of M, he pretends to be a mutant so people DON'T dislike him.

Dylan Bell
Dylan Bell

Everyone always forgets most mutants don't fight crime and they are just regular people who want to be left alone who can pry inside your mind or explode at will.

Michael Richardson
Michael Richardson

also the writers don't care. sometimes i'm not sure if they ever cared. These people are really fucking stupid. Why do I read comics?
It's not even that the concept is bad. It just doesn't make sense when interrelated into the rest of the marvel canon. They would have been better off forgetting the whole "mutant dna" thing completely and just have people be against usually powered beings for various reasons. Magneto could have been a nazi experiment, he didn't need to be born that way.

Blake Roberts
Blake Roberts

Everyone is afraid of what mutants might do
Nobody gives half a shit what Deadpool and Punisher actually do
Somehow Spider-Man being friends with a cat burglar was an issue that needed to be fixed by editorial mandate
Spider-Man being friends with a psychopathic mercenary is totally kosher
people still autistically hate the hulk, but A-Bomb, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, both variants of Red She-Hulk, Thing, Colossus, Devil Dinosaur, Kid Kaiju's backup singers, and so on and so forth are all perfectly fine

what did marvel mean by this

Kevin Rivera
Kevin Rivera

hey are just regular people who want to be left alone who can pry inside your mind or explode at will.
Dr.Strange could do that if he wanted.

Kevin Hernandez
Kevin Hernandez

Most mutants don't have such cool powers. The majority of them can only do useless things like having three faces or shit like this.

Ryder Bennett
Ryder Bennett

No one's gonna listen when you just blew up their school, they're gonna try to kill you.

Michael Morales
Michael Morales

really wishing sublime died the moment Morrison left Marvel.

John Wood
John Wood

they're gonna try to kill you.
But is that because he's a "mutie" or because he blew up their school?

Isaac Ortiz
Isaac Ortiz

Sublime did it.

MU anti-mutant sentiment has more concrete scientific backing than real-world racism.

what did marvel mean by this
"We need better editors."

Charles Cox
Charles Cox

has anyone ever taken /pol/ posts about why they hate black people, changed them a little, and posted them in "Why do people hate mutants" threads?

or would that not work bc Sup Forums is so racist they'd just be like "makes sense!"

Hunter Sanders
Hunter Sanders

They are fans of Captain Marvel and Inhumans destroying shit, but if a kid eats a radioactive sandwich and explodes something accidentally, they suddenly have a problem?

Cooper Gomez
Cooper Gomez

Timmy's mutant power is that his toenails actually grow faster than his fingernails
better send him to a detention center

Henry Butler
Henry Butler

Both.
'Look at this fucking mutie blowing up our school, let's get him'

Noah Moore
Noah Moore

Well now you're talking about current Marvel, user.
And you and I both know nothing in current marvel has made any fucking sense for a couple years now.

Leo Rodriguez
Leo Rodriguez

It's different with mutants because the powers are:
random
uncontrollable
evolutionary
Mutants are theoretically stated as the next stage in evolution, meaning that their entire existence is maybe destined to wipe humanity out.

You don't think that would pose a bigger more widespread freakout than a guy in a metal suit or a super soldier from a government program? Of course it would.

Mutants are the largest scale, most uncontrollable form of superheroes.
It's a lot different than "Oh look another guy with some science-y thing that was designed a certain way." It's literally "Tomorrow one of them might be born who could randomly wipe out a city if he has the 'power' to explode."

Yeah that's the other thing. Living WMDs who can't control their powers very well. Quite a bit different from "Oh look a guy in a costume who can stick to walls."

Nathan Rogers
Nathan Rogers

Oh hey it's this thread again.

Cooper Lewis
Cooper Lewis

But Alien Gods are not seen that way, despite being there in abundance?

Ian Nelson
Ian Nelson

That wasn’t the case originally, though. Our “freak” mutants were originally “has angel wings” and “has big feet and hands”. Nightcrawler came along later with a more freakish look, but even then he was a ladies’ man. It was only after many years before someone decided that it needed to be more random and debilitating to make the mutation bit more than just random powers. And no, Morlocks don’t count because they did that shit to themselves. Because they’re retarded

Jace Lee
Jace Lee

Nah.

Sentry was Marvel's most powerful and dangerous retard and he got his powers by drinking juice made by the government. A much bigger threat than the mutants, and it was made the same way as Captain America.

Nathaniel Long
Nathaniel Long

there's a bit of a disconnect in these threads where everyone thinks all mutants = X-Men because those are the only mutants you see.

so using a /pol/ analogy the X-Men would be like celebrity activists who have no business talking about issues because they're not doing enough or too well off

James Perez
James Perez

For every dozen Timmies, Beaks, and Ugly Johns there's a Magneto or Wolverine fucking people up.

Jaxon Cruz
Jaxon Cruz

It just requires suspension of disbelief. Digging really hard at the underpinnings of this fantasy universe with obvious holes results in boring fan theories or boring stories. Yes, I'll bet if Superman were real, it would be utterly impossible to get an insurance policy on anything in Metropolis due to the daily level of property destruction. Doesn't mean that's a really great idea for a story.

Nolan White
Nolan White

I know right? How many times have we had this tired discussion now? Honestly should just start screencapping responses.

Mutant hate isn't just from powers but the myriad complications from their genetics and community. There have been people like Magneto who literally called themselves part of a brotherhood of EVIL. MUTANTS. There have been a range of mutant related apocalypse events everyone else just had to put up with, and no real measures after were established.
There are a range of ways to detect the x gene.

The X-men take in mutants but they barely police them, cunts like Quire can get up to mind probing mischief if they like and get a slap on the wrist at worst.

Whataboutism towards Spider-Men or Hulks doesn't help because they're often viewed as contemptible as mutants when they cause trouble and begin spreading.

Technology is not remotely the same as having an x-gene.
Stephen Strange learned magic under strict conditions and tutelage, if and when he or many other magicians like Doom fuck up it typically comes down on them. As said with Quire and Phoenix and Wanda and whoever else, when a mutant loses control the typical implied response is "what the fuck are you going to do about it?" as things are swept under the rug, there's no real authority that sits over them, no order in their ranks.

Many failings in Marvel are forgotten or forgiven for the convenience of future stories, but overall the persistent paranoia around mutants is reasonable. There just no limit on anything about them.

Nobody gives half a shit what Deadpool and Punisher actually do
They are not received well in the superpowered community, only those who know them personally tolerate their behavior and barely at that.

Logan Foster
Logan Foster

Pre Crisis Superman probably fixed all the property damage himself.

Asher Bailey
Asher Bailey

Isn't racism illogical?
Yes.

Jayden Russell
Jayden Russell

Did Morrison introduce the debilitating mutations that have basically no positives, or did someone before him do it first?

Jayden Lopez
Jayden Lopez

Why do people in-universe like the Fantastic Four and Captain America when they are friends with people like Namor, a notorious terrorist?

Samuel Watson
Samuel Watson

I know it had popped up before that, but I can’t recall it being as emphasized. Beak obviously being the stand-out, but I know there was this awful plot line about a crippled mutant whining about how the X-Men were all beautiful with great powers. Might have been him, but I know it was around that run

Andrew Anderson
Andrew Anderson

He was right, though.

More often than not, X-Men stories are focused on relationship drama. The X-Men are a bunch of attractive people that only worry about who is fucking who. They don't have jobs and live in a big mansion. They never had to worried about paying a bill.

"We are oppressed!". Gimme a break.

David Sanchez
David Sanchez

Nah, that wasn't Morrison. I vaguely remember that but I think it was earlier indeed.

Evan Turner
Evan Turner

Why do people in-universe like the Fantastic Four
They keep their head down in their literal ivory tower.
Captain America
Fought in a war for the people. While with the Avengers he and they operated with a conduct of culpability for their actions.

This isn't complex. 616 is a contrived, tangled ball of plot strings, but all the strings have beginnings that provide context for how they end up.

Alexander Jackson
Alexander Jackson

Depends which of them. Nightcrawler was chased from his village with literal pitchforks and torches. Beast has issues too but he did that shit to himself.
Then you had Blob and Toad who, not so coincidentally were bad guys.

Ryder Lee
Ryder Lee

He’s not right, because everyone in the Marvel universe is fucking beautiful unless the plot requires them to be ugly. It rings hollow when someone chooses out Cyke for being a buff dude when 1) he’s worked for that bod 2) his powers are an uncontrollable threat to entire blocks 3) you can pick a bystander out of any crowd and he’ll look just as good. Nightcrawler and Beast getting literally all the pussy also ruins the super model argument. That’s because this is a comic book universe and attempting to apply logic to it in-story falls apart with any scrutiny. I think a better take on this is Emma occasionally bringing up that she’s had extensive plastic surgery to look like she does.

Samuel Watson
Samuel Watson

I think a better take on this is Emma occasionally bringing up that she’s had extensive plastic surgery to look like she does.
Also Morrison. His run has issues but I like that he brought up that aspect of mutants.

Aaron Rodriguez
Aaron Rodriguez

They still are a bunch of people whose major concern is "who is fucking who" that don't have to worry about paying bills and some of them have never had a job to begin with.

A very good life for "oppressed" people.

Nathan Brooks
Nathan Brooks

Some one getting powers through science or magic is different than being a member of a new species that threatens to replace you

Brody Miller
Brody Miller

Why? What difference does it make?

Jaxson Gray
Jaxson Gray

Morrison went too hard on it, threw in a bunch of fucking ugly mutants and pretended like that’s always been a thing

Your argument is retarded since it applies to the Avengers and FF too, as they don’t have jobs. The X-Men are oppressed because no one is trying to blow up busses full of Young Avengers

Ethan Turner
Ethan Turner

They don't have jobs and live in a big mansion.

I never really thought about this.Stark Enterprises is probably the 3rd biggest economy on Earth, Peter was a CEO for 12 minutes, and Xavier inherited that big estate, but you'd think the money would've run down considering he has 400 wayward teens living in that mansion and has to pay property taxes, food, jet fuel., power, cyborgs, holograms, and whatever Internet package lets you hook up your brain to every mutant in the world

James Sanchez
James Sanchez

Your argument is retarded since it applies to the Avengers and FF too, as they don’t have jobs.
I know that. The Avengers and the Fantastic Four are extremely privileged people, too. They are the 0,01%.

Hudson Williams
Hudson Williams

Super scientists, man, don’t have to pay for shit. Although I think it’s mentioned post-Decimation the X-Men were being funded by Emma’s rapidly depleting fortune.

Isaac Perry
Isaac Perry

Ultron literally wants to replace all of humanity with cyborgs but people are more concerned with that time his creator hit his wife, so continuing the human race clearly isn't really that high up on anyone's priority list

Adam Brooks
Adam Brooks

Morrison went too hard on it, threw in a bunch of fucking ugly mutants and pretended like that’s always been a thing
I mean... Beast went feral in the Lee/Kirby run. Blob's first appearance is literally X-Men vol. 1 #3. They weren't always prevalent (which I'm pretty sure is lampshaded before and during his run), but they've been there essentially forever.

Eli Morris
Eli Morris

Cap has a pension, Thor is a prince of Asgard and his pubes are probably worth more than gold, Iron Man is Iron Man. Carol probably has a gubmint check coming too but she also lives in a station that is presumably funded by World governments, or just Wakanda

Dylan Gutierrez
Dylan Gutierrez

Popular fan theory around here is that he uses his telepathy to cheat on the stock market. Xavier's a lying asshole after all.

Ryder Richardson
Ryder Richardson

I’ll give you guys like Blob and Toad, but Beast did that shit to himself. And Nightcrawler was living proof that it’s not all bad, since the chicks loved him

Hudson Ramirez
Hudson Ramirez

How does change the fact that they are privileged as fuck?

Look at the Justice League. All of them, excluding Batman, have day jobs.

Jack Perez
Jack Perez

threw in a bunch of fucking ugly mutants and pretended like that’s always been a thing
Did you miss the whole "mutant baby boom" plot?
More mutants in general = more ugly mutants

Carter Perez
Carter Perez

A lot of things are illogical in comic book Universes.
The idea that Marvel and DC comic Earth's don't have a thriving interstellar space program, with either Universe's 5th smartest guy perfectly capable of building spacecraft, is pretty illogical.

Both of them play at the "Earth isn't ready for intergalactic diplomacy" despite hostile and non-hostile aliens using the planet for a truckstop/invasion kick-off point on a weekly basis.

Lucas Young
Lucas Young

Didn't Nightcrawler get lynched to death twice?

Superman
Has a day job
Wonder Woman
Bitch, what? Her day job is being Wonder Woman.
Flash
CSI Guy
Jess
Waitress for all of 3 issues
The other 5 Lanterns
Unemployed
Aquaman
See Wonder Woman
Cyborg
See Aquaman

??????????

Jordan Perez
Jordan Perez

Mutants = Jews
both are the chosen people that everyone hates for no reason but existing (and being the bestest)

Jordan Kelly
Jordan Kelly

Beast did that shit to himself
Sure sure, but he was still chased pretty hauntingly for looking like an ugly grey/blue ape, honestly if you haven't read the orginal issues of that, I think it's one of the best done "I'm a monster and people hate me" of the time despite how many times Lee used that trope (and there's not a lot of his and Jack's X-Men that qualifies as their best work). So yeah it's because Hank is a dipshit, but ultimately that aspect of persecution of the ugly hero was present even as early as then.
Nightcrawler, yeah, ultimately, mutant chicks liked him, as someone said earlier he's one of the good guys in a cape comic. Even Beak has a hot wife.

Also when Morrison brought that to the forefront he had the forsight of doing in parralel with mutant becoming public and ultimately trendy, fetishized.

Jason Nelson
Jason Nelson

Wonder Woman
She is an ambassador.

Hal Jordan
Pilot

Martian Manhunter
Detective

Aquaman
A king. He is privileged too, I concur.

So, 2/7 of the League doesn't have to work, while 100% of the Avengers don't have jobs.

Bentley Fisher
Bentley Fisher

Shut up Kitty.

Bentley Parker
Bentley Parker

Hal hasn't had an Earth job in forever, friend, Carol fired his ass a billion years ago. AFAIK this has not been retconned by Rebirth

Wonder Woman's job is to go around with Steve doing Wonder Woman things. There is no such character as "Martian Manhunter". There are Manhunters but I don't think those have shown up in anything since Red Lanterns

Parker Butler
Parker Butler

I always thought it was odd that in Beasts original Avengers run he was fucking multiple women at the same time and even gets stopped and swarmed by horny women when just walking around.

Is it because hes blue and doesn't wear a shirt?

Cameron Sullivan
Cameron Sullivan

Hal hasn't had an Earth job in forever, friend, Carol fired his ass a billion years ago.
Hal doesn't live an expensive lifestyle on Earth. None of the Avengers have jobs and they all spend more money than Hal used to spent when he had a job.

Wonder Woman is Themyscira's ambassador.

Bentley Rodriguez
Bentley Rodriguez

There is no such character as "Martian Manhunter".
Marvel/casualfag here, fucking really?
Did they literally not introduce him at all in Rebirth? Or any Martians?

Jordan Miller
Jordan Miller

Fame? Pheromones? Furries?

Jordan Gonzalez
Jordan Gonzalez

There is no such character as "Martian Manhunter"
I really hope this is a shitpost

Nolan Gomez
Nolan Gomez

Charisma, hero, ripped bod, intelligent, and is a bit taboo. That’s a winning combo. Kurt had it even better with the phallic tail, accent, and swashbuckling attitude

Parker Evans
Parker Evans

They live in the same universe as hostile aliens. If you know superpowered aliens and gods exist you're not going to discriminate so heavily against humans who sometimes develop powers you praise in other beings or even people who got them from experiments.

Gabriel Clark
Gabriel Clark

Mutants were at one point theorized to be the next step in human evolution, destined to usurp humanity from its rightful place at the top of the food chain on top of that older superhumans like the (original) human torch and Captain America were always thought to be one-off oddities. The mutants on the other hand are always near and people you know could actually be a mutant and be hiding it that weird kid at school who always keeps to himself could all of a sudden manifest fire powers and go full columbine in your school.

Liam Baker
Liam Baker

Yes. It doesn't make sense that the same people who celebrate Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four also hate the X-Men. I mean, what's the fucking difference? That some were in some freak accident that gave them powers and others were born with it? The average Marvel citizen wouldn't even know how their heroes got them!

Wyatt Sanchez
Wyatt Sanchez

That reminds me, Marvels! handled that really well. Such an excellent book.

Thomas Davis
Thomas Davis

I threw a rock at a mutant child because other people were doing it!
Wow. Amazing, simply amazing.

Evan Gonzalez
Evan Gonzalez

That actually works on Marvel citizens until some asshole uses a mutant detector on you and launches the Sentinels.

Jordan Thomas
Jordan Thomas

he's been hanging out with Hawk and Dove

Andrew Stewart
Andrew Stewart

Never been in a mob? Things get stupid real quick

Connor Taylor
Connor Taylor

You say that like people never act this retarded irl.
Not to say that Marvels handles it perfectly, it takes one road out of many to explain away the discrimination.

Gavin Williams
Gavin Williams

That moment when people go crazy and start attacking anyone they SUSPECT to be a mutant sums up the attitude some people had towards mutants.
Yes it was.

William Stewart
William Stewart

Look, I'm no hero, but I would NOT throw rocks at children because retards were doing it. I know better than this.

Ian Harris
Ian Harris

The girl isn’t a child to them, that’s the point. It was a mutie. They dehumanized her and the main character only pulled back because he was in...WW II at nazi camps, I think?

Luke Lee
Luke Lee

i think that was used in marvel before, but i cant remember in which comic.

Ryan Sanders
Ryan Sanders

An Avenger doesn’t commit crime. A typical mutant civilian might. If they do, the people go “gas the muties!”. Just common sense.

Jack Ramirez
Jack Ramirez

The girl isn’t a child to them, that’s the point. It was a mutie.
The entire story is about the Marvel civilians and the protagonist amazed at Marvel heroes. They see the Fantastic Four, Namor, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America and all they had to say was how amazing all of them were, even though they don't know much about their origin or how they got their powers.

Then he sees a fucking child in the street and tries to kill her because she is different and he doesn't know the origin of her difference?

Daniel Cruz
Daniel Cruz

Oh man, it’s almost like that’s included to highlight exactly how hypocritical and dumb that is. Almost like...the main character realizes that himself! You HAVE read this, right user? Because your second paragraph doesn’t describe something that happens in the story.

Liam Murphy
Liam Murphy

It’s like the difference between seeing black war veterans and then seeing a little nigger boy. A /pol/lack would pay respects and then throw rocks at the boy.

Brody Long
Brody Long

An Avenger doesn’t commit crime.

Justin Gonzalez
Justin Gonzalez

Look up something called the "Milgram experiment" 9 out of 10 people are willing to hurt innocent people because an authority figure told them to people in general are susceptible to social pressure you may think you would not do it but you'll never know until you are in that situation.
Peoples mistrust of super humans as a whole is a bit more evident in earlier part of the book because they are hit with this realization. By the 60s people have adjusted to it but are still suspicious of them the mutants more so than others for reasons outlined here:

Xavier Martinez
Xavier Martinez

No, you (probably) wouldn't. Some people would. It has literally happened countless times in historiy.

Jonathan Watson
Jonathan Watson

An Avenger doesn’t commit crime.
Aside from (which also applies to X-Men)
Avenger=/=all metahumans
X-Man=/= mutants

Angel Reyes
Angel Reyes

a little nigger boy
The proper term is "niglet".

Jacob Diaz
Jacob Diaz

Why don't people who are mutants just say that they got their superpowers from radiation or super serum or magic chemicals so people will like them like the majority of superpowered people that aren't mutants?

Benjamin Morales
Benjamin Morales

Folks are born that can blink civilizations out of existence because "I dunno how to control muh powers!" (Which is the origin of like 90% of xmen)

Colton Bailey
Colton Bailey

It's called shitty writing

Nathan Rodriguez
Nathan Rodriguez

Because the X-gene. And technically mutates should be X-gene positive too but the aren't.

Aiden Turner
Aiden Turner

What difference does it make? They’re still a super powered being with potential to be a threat that hasn’t sworn to protect humans.

Nathan Johnson
Nathan Johnson

Because the X-gene. And technically mutates should be X-gene
Why would they?

Owen Jackson
Owen Jackson

ah yes. Because the average person has the ability to magically detect whoever has the "X" gene.

Caleb Richardson
Caleb Richardson

Because the average person has the ability to magically detect whoever has the "X" gene
Hey man, if nanosentinels are a thing I bet there's a doodad that plugs into your phone and detects x-genes.

Alexander Ward
Alexander Ward

The X-gene isn’t relevant. There is no large population of unchecked citizens that have gotten powers from radioactive spiders. If there were, that would be a problem too.

Andrew Cooper
Andrew Cooper

Hal hasn't had an Earth job in forever, friend, Carol fired his ass a billion years ago. AFAIK this has not been retconned by Rebirth
I'm pretty sure he has unlimited access to the lantern corps money

Alexander Peterson
Alexander Peterson

They only have room, board and meals comped. the rest of the salary is the privilege of being on the world's most mismanaged police force and the honor of being killed by errant napalm blood

Benjamin King
Benjamin King

Claremont started some bullshit after his Civil War 1 and House of M stuff that said that the X-Gene is what allows people to have powers in general. When a human undergoes anything that gives them powers, their X-Gene activates and stabilizes the mutation which gives them powers. It also brought in the concept of Mutant Growth Hormone (MGH) which is a specific chemical cocktail that anybody with biological powers has that regulates and acts as a chemical code for your powers. Morrison built on it and said Mutants have a naturally expressed X-Gene which gives them more MGH, a random set of powers, and allows them to naturally mutate (secondary mutations) while mutates (Spider-Man, Luke Cage, etc) who were given powers via radioactive shit/serums can only gain new powers by being exposed to more serums and radioactive shit.

In the end it comes down to two things. Mutates are made in a lab or freak accident with a specific set of powers based on the accident. They can't evolve into new and more destructive powers without taking a swig of some chemical/cosmic/etc macguffin bullshit but they have a constant set of powers from the get go. Mutants can range from absolute shit to Godhand OP and can literally sprout powers out of their ass over time via natural mutations. They can still grow and become more OP via maguffins like mutates but they don't need the macguffin to become OP, they could just luck out and get a secondary mutation that turned Billy Bumfuck's constant farting mutation into a nuclear gas that decimates half the planet.

Jeremiah Gomez
Jeremiah Gomez

He was mentioned in like Priest's JL

Sebastian James
Sebastian James

The thing is, none of this genetics shit matters when you consider that mutant kids can be born to flatscan parents, and most of the time are.
Kill all mutants? Fine, that's not stopping what you perceive as an unstoppable evolutionary force to begin with.

Luke Evans
Luke Evans

Entirely true and that's why Marvel constantly shits the bed with this arguement. Sadly the only time this worked was back in the day during the original Days of Future Past run that they can't stop homaging. The X-gene was not only detectable but there was a difference between types of X-gene. This was before the retcon in which every human has an X-gene because Celestial bullshit so there were a lot of humans who didn't have an X-gene at all. This is what led to a caste system and the exclusion/concentration camp of X-gene carrying humans and mutants but it actually worked because if you prevented them from breeding as they did in DoFP then the gene would die off from the pool. It would be textbook UNnatural selection eugenics sure but that's the only time most of the Marvel posturing for mutants would work.

Connor Johnson
Connor Johnson

Sublime did what?

Nathan Price
Nathan Price

sublime

how was that hate for mutants? that villain version of beast was creating a genetic army of nightcrawlers drawn by who again? marc silvestri?

that shit was aesthetic

Jeremiah Green
Jeremiah Green

AND THEN THERE'S THAT

Joseph Hill
Joseph Hill

Marvel citizens are the most stupid, hypocritical, and angry people in fiction
accurate representation of NYC desu

Owen Adams
Owen Adams

Morlocks don’t count because they did that shit to themselves. Because they’re retarded

did what?

Landon Cox
Landon Cox

People hate tons of non-mutant superheroes in Marvel. Why does anyone ever think this? Pick up a fucking comic. You're not clever for pointing this out.

Caleb Torres
Caleb Torres

X-Men only work in one of two ways:

A.) All X-Men stories happen in their own dimension where the only people with powers are mutants. No Fantastic Four, No Avengers, no Spidey; just mutants

B.) Marvel Comics circa 1964, when the only other people with powers were 10 superheroes and a handful of their villains.

Chase Lopez
Chase Lopez

Because mutants and x-men have best stories in Marvel

Jackson Gomez
Jackson Gomez

Ultimate X-Men was like 50/50.
Shame it went to shit, died and then some of them got crammed into 616.

Adrian Ortiz
Adrian Ortiz

This is only an argument when there aren't so many non-mutant superhumans to reliably have every one of the 50 states in America have their own 7 person Avengers team.

Julian Lewis
Julian Lewis

To become a Morlock you had to let a bitter, sadistic psychopath with fleshshaping powers go full Cronenberg on your face.

Alternately mutants don't run a good PR game and several of the most prominent supervillains in the world are mutants.

Brandon Butler
Brandon Butler

We have a bunch of people who hate a bunch of other people, even though they're basically the same kind of human. Just ones got a different skin color than the other.

Racism, fear, etc, rarely make much sense.

Ryder Bailey
Ryder Bailey

several of the most prominent supervillains in the world are mutants

That would mean something if Marvel civvies didn't flip-flop on whether or not they want to lynch EVERYONE with superpowers and if writers would stop depicting every what-if future as "someone farted on *insert random Avenger*, driving them so mad that they enslaved everyone on Earth in 2 years".

Asher Butler
Asher Butler

tfw Stark was always Trask this whole time
tfw Stark's plan is to cleanse the world from Spics, Nigs, Chinks, Faggots and Nips
tfw Stark is the hero we need
When did you realize Stark was BASED?

Luis Phillips
Luis Phillips

Tony Stark is so fu*king BASED, he is just like me
Kill yourself starkfag

Jaxon Morgan
Jaxon Morgan

you know theres morlocks in the sewers all over the world right? the one thing that connects them all is that they feel like outcasts. being a mutant is what puts them there

Gabriel Parker
Gabriel Parker

t.Poor Commie Soyboy Shitskin
Go work the fields boy.

Ayden Baker
Ayden Baker

whatever you say redditor

Jackson Hernandez
Jackson Hernandez

muh r/eddit
Jesus Newfag, at least try and be more original. If you can't take the bants, go back, it's simple.

Easton Martinez
Easton Martinez

calls me a newfag
tumblr filename
POETRY

Bentley Reyes
Bentley Reyes

Tumblr's great for pics and edits if you know where to look user.

Sebastian Morales
Sebastian Morales

Tumblr's great for pics and edits if you know where to look user.
wew lad
you are just embarrassing yourself

Jaxon Stewart
Jaxon Stewart

We don't have to act like autists 100% user. Tumblr's great for searching a tag and choosing what you want. Lots of artists and even Sup Forums drawfags have Tumblr-Blogs.

Hudson Cruz
Hudson Cruz

SUBLIME

Bentley Thomas
Bentley Thomas

S U B L I M E DID IT

Christopher Peterson
Christopher Peterson

Why do we have to go through this discussion every month? I already gave you so many explanations, pictures, and etc. and you still keep making these threads. Just fuck off and die

Brandon Johnson
Brandon Johnson

I am starting to think that racism is a good thing. If we was more racist Sweden wouldn't be destroyed.

Sebastian Rogers
Sebastian Rogers

Kill yourself morrisonfag

Jacob Howard
Jacob Howard

But he's an avenger, you cocksucking faggot

Hudson Cook
Hudson Cook

It was done before, both Sup Forums and /pol/ had some heartwarming laughs. The reason that it is not done anymore is because Sup Forums is afraid of /pol/ cooties

Julian Adams
Julian Adams

A reminder that useless mutants were invented by morrison, and outside of morrison, there weren't useless mutants. Fuck morrison, b t w

Zachary Howard
Zachary Howard

How many aliens do marvel citizens know?

Jaxson Nguyen
Jaxson Nguyen

Fantastic Four was fucking sued many times
Google "Baxter building closed" faggot

Captain America... well, recently we had Secret Empire

Jackson Kelly
Jackson Kelly

A reminder that morrison's run was so awful, that marvel spent the next decade retconning it step by step

Austin Campbell
Austin Campbell

people celebrate Spider-Man
casualfags are cancer

Brandon Adams
Brandon Adams

Blame it on gruenwald

Carter Cox
Carter Cox

C) Read a fucking comic, you idiot

Colton Wilson
Colton Wilson

Do people keep forgetting that citizens hate the heroes too? Literally avengers always used to be close at losing their UN security clearance because of unpopular hate.
Like marvel citizens hate any one with superpowers in general.
The few ones they don't like Cap or FF have really good PR and even then its not enough for them some times.
Keep in mind that when 98% of the mutants went extinct and segregated from the rest of humanity. Marvel Citizens automatically turned on their superpowered heroes in Civil War.
Marvel literally hates mutants and superhumans. They hate mutants more but that's just reflecting our real world where such kind of hatred is possible.

Angel Young
Angel Young

I mean.. isn't it as simple as the writers wanted to make some parallels to racism in X-men, they didn't bother with that much in other Marvel heros, and they happen to be in same "universe" because business reasons? So we are just kind of stuck with some inconsistency. What's there to even argue about this?

Angel Cox
Angel Cox

this thread is made by faggots, who don't read comics and keep memeing

Read a comic, stop being a parrot

Kayden Lewis
Kayden Lewis

No. Because the way it was framed was that there were only a handful but they were starting to appear more and more frequently around the world as "the next step in evolution" and Homo Superior begin to replace the Homo Sapiens ( aka Flat Scans ) just like the Sapiens replaced the Neanderthals.

Of course this isn't even remotely how evolutionary adaption works in the real world, but whatever.

The idea of Special Snowflakes being persecuted for their Speshulness isn't a new idea in scifi or fantasy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slan

Adrian Morgan
Adrian Morgan

Read a comic, stop being a parrot
Sauce:
Avengers Vol. 1: Avengers World
By Jonathan Hickman

Aiden Carter
Aiden Carter

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, but maybe the populace sees a difference between those who EARNED their super powers and those who were BORN with the privilege of having powers.

Anthony Sanders
Anthony Sanders

How does that prove anything?

Henry Campbell
Henry Campbell

maybe if I just respond and completely ignore what was posted no one else will bother to read it and I'll win!
t.Donald Trump.

Leo Gutierrez
Leo Gutierrez

Spidey is still hated and considered a menace in a lot of cases. I mean, if you read House of M, he pretends to be a mutant so people DON'T dislike him.

House of M Spidey was dumb enough to write his secret down, he deserved everything that happened to him.

Chase Lewis
Chase Lewis

for every dozen useless neets in Sup Forums, there is one Supreme Gentleman or two who label the entire community. See how it works?

Landon Nguyen
Landon Nguyen

I remember in the Ultimate Universe they do a story about it? they were funded by the Hellfire club or something?

Carson Cook
Carson Cook

Reminder that anything human-sized is actually a mentally and physically stunted liliputean science project.

These dudes here are the only humanoid creatures to have evolved naturally in the DC universe. This is what a normal humanoid that evolved under the fucked up physics of a capeshit universe actuallly looks like.

So whenever you're asking yourself "Why do these creatures act so strange?" then you gotta remind yourself that they're basically purpose-built petri dish colonies and not actual sentinent and naturally occuring beings with an evolutionary history inside of their universe.

Kayden Butler
Kayden Butler

Celestials
DC universe

Tyler Perez
Tyler Perez

hey everybody
look
it's my dick
guys
I know the rest of my suit is solid red
but check it out
it's my dick

Dylan Davis
Dylan Davis

Seriously, how does that prove anything, beside you being a fucking idiot

Aaron Russell
Aaron Russell

liberals whenever that comic was written
outsourcing to mexico is bad and hurts the local economy
liberals today
outsourcing to mexico is good and helps the local economy.

Anthony Jenkins
Anthony Jenkins

tfw too much of brainlet to discern between “anti-hero” sentiment and the type of stuff mutans go though

Carter Davis
Carter Davis

I am so smart
not

Juan Foster
Juan Foster

tfw Carol Ferris could start making commercially viable spacecraft right now, but writers are too dumb to notice this obvious direction for her
Fuck your status quo, have Carol build spaceships, dammit!

Isaac Phillips
Isaac Phillips

This, anyone asking this retarded question is.. retarded.

Brody Gomez
Brody Gomez

Yea coincidentally dollars are green

Jayden Fisher
Jayden Fisher

None of the Avengers have jobs
Except for the guy who's power is being rich

Carson Collins
Carson Collins

Morrison's Run is still the best X-Men run after Claremont.
The really awful run is Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

Adam Powell
Adam Powell

This is correct, there was a thread not long ago where anons were trying to argue that the fact that mutants were born from humans was somehow only relevant at the beginning of this occurrence

Jeremiah Lewis
Jeremiah Lewis

Going through the latest parts of the main uncanny run, I'm reminded of why I, lots of times, don't enjoy the x-men. Not because they're supermodels with superpowers and tons of cash. That's fine, it's comics, attractive people are pleasant and you need to explain away facilities for large groups of people, no biggie.

But they are self-righteous pricks. I can't stand it when "heroes" go beyond stopping the problem at hand and get proactive, enforce punishments and so on.
Like, they get a non-power antimutant schmuck who has information they want and what do they do? Do they read his mind?
Nah, they find his fears and torture him with them to make him tell them what they want.
Why? What's the point if you can read the information from his mind anyway?
They have their own pre-emptive kill squads.
They have their own trial-less prison-holding facilities.
And don't get me started on the personality/mind meddling/altering people like emma engage in, like that business with shaw.

They are self-righteous cunts.
And being wrongfully persecuted self-righteous cunts doesn't make their cuntish self-righteousness any less self-righteously cunty.

Cameron Clark
Cameron Clark

Sadly the only time this worked was back in the day during the original Days of Future Past run that they can't stop homaging. The X-gene was not only detectable but there was a difference between types of X-gene.

Days of Future Past was from the early 1980s, the term "X-gene" wasn't invented as an explanation for mutants until about 20 years later.

Jace Campbell
Jace Campbell

what are the morlocks?

Anthony Moore
Anthony Moore

Are you memeing or serious? I mean from a technical sense, humans and niggers can do most of the same things via magic and technology. You would have no way of knowing if John Smith, John Thompson, or Bill Macdonnely were niggers or not.

Grayson Hernandez
Grayson Hernandez

niggers look obviously different from humans. most mutants do not.

Mason Diaz
Mason Diaz

He thinks it’s real

Carter Bennett
Carter Bennett

DC

Aaron Bell
Aaron Bell

there are no genitals in marvel comics

Jacob Baker
Jacob Baker

liberals don't just have the opposite opinion of you you neanderthal.

outsourcing is a complicated issue that has both benefits and drawbacks. but here on altrightchan everything has to fit into your stupid black/white pov

Jackson Rodriguez
Jackson Rodriguez

Emma did nothing wrong though, you're thinking of Jean.

Jacob Martin
Jacob Martin

What Emma did to Shaw was wrong.
And I recall some time (Gillen's run?) where she set a mental trigger to some guards minds so that for a few weeks, whenever they heard a common word they'd vomit for a few hours.
Both very wrong.
And disturbing.

Carson Davis
Carson Davis

Most of the Morlocks introduced in the 1980s and 1990s had powers that were in some way useful, but they were also too ugly or deformed to pass for human. It wasn't until Morrison that there were large numbers of mutants who got no "powers" at all, just deformity.

Christopher Evans
Christopher Evans

Well you could argue that if those are their natural abilities they shouldn't be held contempt for using them, this would actually provoke a discussion on how it changes the norms.
(Likewise they shouldn't be surprised people hate this shit)

James Russell
James Russell

My fists are my natural abilities too, and no one minds when I use them to tenderize meat for cooking.
They do mind when I use them on people's faces.
Come on user, that was a stupid post. Those being their natural abilities changes nothing. We all have natural abilities and are looked negatively on when we use them to impose our wills on others, on our own because we feel like it.

Aaron James
Aaron James

If seven million people of different ideologies and backgrounds got bitten by radioactive spiders and gained powers, would it be unrealistic for regular humans to be distrustful, jealous, and fearful of the destruction that they could cause? Especially if they don’t want to save lives and swear an oath to protect humanity like the the Avengers do?

Jeremiah Myers
Jeremiah Myers

Do we ever get Sentinels attacking Franklin Richards?

Wyatt Fisher
Wyatt Fisher

Sentinels? If you want to kill a reality warper you need something more furious.

Camden Hill
Camden Hill

To be fair they never call it the "X-gene" but they talk about how they have mutant genes that can be traced and theoretically bred out by preventing those with mutant genes from breeding. I might be getting the oldfaggers but when I hear mutant gene I think X-gene because of all the bullshit of 2000+ X-men.

Evan Morris
Evan Morris

Haahahahahaaahahahahahahah.

Nope

Ian Phillips
Ian Phillips

Can you tell me what do you consider the best X-Mens runs then?

Lucas Ward
Lucas Ward

Well, let's break Nightcrawler's relationships with the opposite sex down for a second (just the highlights):

Amanda Sefton - Pretty much childhood friends who grew up in a circus together. It's not exactly surprising that she'd be able to see past his appearance.
Kitty Pryde - Not a romance, but for the first few years, Kitty was scared of Kurt's appearance, often flinching whenever he got close. Only being teammates for months (in universe) got her past that)
Judith Rassendyll - a secret princess of a small country that Kurt rescued from Arcade. At first repulsed by his appearance, his saving of her life kinda brought her around.
Meggan - There was an undeniable attraction between the two of them (and they'd have made a better pair than Meggan and Captain Britain), but she's a shape changer. As a child she looked like a wolf and was raised by wandering gypsies.
Anjulie - From another world where a lot of people look like Kurt, and she was using him.
Jinjav Sabree - Extradimensional woman from his first mini series. Initially repulsed by his appearance until he saved her life (hmm, noting a pattern).
Cherise - She's an alien from the Shi'ar Empire. People who don't look like Earth humans are an everyday thing for her.
Bloody Bess - Member of the interdimensional Crimson Pirates. Not like her teammates appear very normal.
Jillian - She's from the Brimstone Dimension, where everyone looks kinda like Kurt.

Sure, some people see past his looks, but for every one person who does,many more just see a demon.

Matthew Foster
Matthew Foster

The stock market is probably some of it. He's a published author who has written multiple books on genetics and mutation, many of which are probably used as college text books - there's serious bank in that, just go to a local college bookstore and look around if you doubt it.

Many members of the X-Men have been wealthy, such as Angel, Psylocke, and Emma. Magneto was known to have a stash of purloined Nazi gold he probably contributed at some point.

Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters has functioned as a school for a long time, so there was probably some government support (helped by telepathy) and tuition paid by wealthier parents who don't always know their kids are muties. On paper, the school probably has a really high rate of people who become Ph.Ds (Beast) or CEOs (Angel).

You've got several students with world-class mundane talents - Kitty and Doug (Cypher) were both talented programmers, so there's probably software royalties. Beast and Forge probably have enough patents between them to keep the school going, even if they aren't passing along down-graded Shi'ar tech. Not even mentioning that they probably get a lot of stuff from the bad guys they beat. A lot of the students can probably do useful things like shape solid materials, make plants grow at accelerated rates, heal injuries, transmute lead into gold... they get electricity from a Shi'ar geothermal tap...

Other than cable (haha), phone, internet service, and groceries, the only real expenses are rebuilding the mansion every few months - and a lot of that seems to be done in house.

Really though, the only story more lame than Bobby being gay would be one of Bobby balancing the X-Men's finances (he is a CPA, you know).

Ethan Murphy
Ethan Murphy

You shut up, Nigger.

Easton Cruz
Easton Cruz

I threw a rock at a mutant child because other people were doing it!
Wow. Amazing, simply amazing.

Kinda like that experiment where they couldn't find a single person to give an old guy electric shocks.

Except almost 65% kept doing it to the maximum voltage (450 volts), even after the actor pretending to be an old guy (the participants couldn't see him) complained of a heart condition, cried, screamed in pain, and finally fell silent. Every single person gave the old guy at LEAST 300 volts.

Read up on the Milgram Experiment sometime. If anything, Marvel underestimates how shitty people are.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page