more

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Manruss/status/746105861651587072
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

where did the day go?

Jack Kirby is pissed

I know, I know, I'm late

jesus, Vic

I read some Ditko Question today and one story has a subplot about viewers complaining about how political Vic's show is

one tiny delightful detail here--K means the city is west of the river, not east

Hello, Storyteller.

Am I a filthy hipster for enjoying the generally grittier, yet more colorful stylings of the 80s? I wasn't even born until after the Berlin Wall went down, but goddamn is that shit just more interesting to look at than modern stuff.

a lot of it has more personality and hasn't been over-colored. flats are fine.

can someone explain these PURGE memes I keep seeing?

time means nothing f a m

government shut down = all crime is legal
like the movies

>hasn't been over-colored

Somehow colorists still abuse the fuck out of gradients. A lot of cloth and skin looks almost plastic

lol, movie buffs

what movies

Warhammer 40K?

Digital was a mistake. It can be done well, but over ink makes it harder than most people can handle.

The Purge movies. They're movies and the gimmick is that there's one day a year all crime is legal.

ohhhhh

The Purge movies, OP.

Christ this dude just walked right out of the 1880s.

It just feels like modern comic art is like grey and brown military shooters. Everything looks the same right now, not helped by house style favoring Jim Lee inspired penciling. Even the 90s, for all the Liefeldian abominations, had plenty of books that didn't look like that. And at least that was a recognizable style, even if it was shit. 2010s comic art is just dull and samey.

There's no point in trying to keep up with or understand all the dank memes. It's all a bunch of stupid bullshit anyway.

It's still so weird/stupid that with that as your premise you're first movie is just a home invasion slasher flick.

I was just curious because allasudden I saw the same memes flicker across my dash

>When the LARPing hits you too hard

I fucking hate home invasion films

i think that's part of why it got so memey. fucking up that premise

Shut the fuck up, you literal nigger

You're right actually.
And why the sequels became so overrated.

I don't think I'll ever understand the annoying screeching over Superman's trunks, or Nightwing's blue fingerstripes for that matter.

Like shouldn't stories matter more than some colored parts of a costume.

I think for some people it's some sign that "the company ~understands~ what matters" which is of course ridiculous, but, well

i'm just mad that it sunk my 'manhattan stole superman's trunks" theory

I find that the flat-colored stuff from the 1990s (which was some Vertigo stuff as an example) has aged much, much better than when they were trying out gradient shading.

>cosplay gone wrong

To me it's one of those things where a bunch of general grievances galvanize around a singular element. So fans who never got on board with the premise of New52 and who found Superman's redesign to be symbolic of all the ills they perceived within DC now look at the return of the trunks as an equal symbol of a return to form, to the stuff they liked.
Of course, the problem is that once you get too deep into that, it's terribly easy to never get past that surface level. Which is why you get people who actually look like they think the quality of a Superman comic is decided entirely on trunks or not. Not writers, not editors, not current publishing climate, just the most surface of window dressings. The symbol becomes the sole meaning.

It's an issue with the medium. You can do a lot of quick color with nice rendering in digital, but it all comes out looking the same. Takes a good artist to do something nice with it. Takes a great artist to make something cohesive that actually works with the inks. Other digital artists are horrified at the idea of someone else coloring your shit.

Flats work well as long as the linework is good.

I can't wait for Bendis writing Superman with the red trunks so people will try to force themselves to like his garbage.

Also just how dead serious the marketing took it, when they were basically making The Punisher visits Escape from NY/The Warriors

They were also doing things like coloring speed and impact lines, energy discharges and kirby dots. It robs the art of so much power.

kill me now, please

courtesy Mark Russell

twitter.com/Manruss/status/746105861651587072

Much teeth will be gritted.

>To me it's one of those things where a bunch of general grievances galvanize around a singular element.
Wonder Woman's sword, for example?

Hey OP.
Turn based video games that take forever to get through the computer's turn are kinda boring and a halfway decent time to read.

Yyyep. Or Batman's suit having visible armor pieces and whatnot.
I admit, I was ecstatic when the sword shattered the fuck up in Wondie's movie.

These guys have the best origin story so far.

it's not a good batman costume if it doesn't have the yellow oval

>Howard Chaykin capable of breathaking art

I mean, yeah I guess he sorta still is, but it's for all the wrong reasons now.

Finally something we agree on.

Oh Izzy, you grimy-ass lovable motherfucker you.

Thanks for this OP. I just finished re-reading Gotham Central for the Xth time and I'm hankering for some more street level stuff. I don't really care for the more mystic shit in The Question (specifically wolf bro and Tot getting kidnapped) but these issues are great.
Hah, just you wait.

He's gotten so fucking lazy, it's sad

also digital has done him no favors

That's okay. Was otherwise occupied and am happy to have not missed as much as I might have.

>watchmen graffiti

The instant you said that, it clicked why many fans, including myself hate that damn sword. It's a microcosm of how editorial doesn't get it.

>spoiler
Patty gets it though.

>wolf bro
There's definitely like a gothic horror kinda thing in Question where the less human you are the more grotesquely distorted you appear and also the more powerful you are. And I guess that's a pretty common thing in cape comics as a whole really, but the mystic angle gives it a slightly different touch for me?

The Legion fanbase, I think.

tomorrow we read the WATCHMEN issue

sorry, horrible things with whiskey just make me think of boku no sexuhara, speaking of infinite laughs

Of how editorial doesn't get it and also of the shortcuts a lot of writers take to make her interesting to themselves and their audience. It's the lingering effect of that mid 2000s/early 2010s characterization of Diana that focused mostly on her warrior aspect, and writes like Johns were adamant on making her "badass". Hence sword, hence shield. Not that it's impossible to make a good WW story where she uses a sword and a shield, but it's become so pervasive because it's a shortcut to make Diana more badass and cool.
The problem is that, while not 100% out of character, eventually you get to the point where she's more badass than anything else, and that's where the troubles start. The moment you worry more about making Diana look badass than being compassionate, you've officially Fucked Up.

It's a real world kind of mysticism.

Forget digital colours, the real great sin of digital is letting artists draw individuals draw discrete elements and then collage them together.

also if she's really badass she shouldn't need to show off/prove it all the time

BRB learning how to reincarnate as a wolf

>Earth 2 may not exist anymore, but that won't stop me from getting a Dr. Strange Window Belt Buckle!

Trad artists do the same thing with a lightbox.

they really tried to make this happen

Were they killed for crimes against fashion?

I did the occult thing and this is pretty much what it's like. Intuition, strange coincidences, people who look like what they're up to, lots of sitting and stretching. A real world kind of mysticism.

Home Invasion movies have the benefit of being doable on the cheap, because basically all you need is A House.

And I think the Purge production company is one that specializes in low budget movies.

Quick thread, what's the stupidest twist on a home invasion you can imagine?

These guys much buy so much Newman's Own.

Lord that one guy in the back

I knjow it's all deep and meaningful but christ I hate FUNNY GAMES

The home is empty.

It's a Bed and Breakfast.

Exactly.

>make her more interesting
I like how making her a cheap Xena knockoff is many people's idea of "interesting". Thing is, Diana already has an interesting angle you can take with her that nobody ever thinks of doing. She's a politician. Yeah, she's an ambassador, so have her do more political activities. Have her negotiating with other nations, brokering trade deals, making allies. Themyscira needs to become a more prominent player on the world stage, because keeping them as Bronze Age level isolationists is fuckin' boring.

Diana never gets to interact much with the rest of the DCU, when she should be everywhere. Here's an idea, have Diana team up with Black Adam one day, and the story ends with Themyscira and Khandaq forming an alliance. You can't tell me that wouldn't be something to work with.

the people in the house are cannibals who have every room elaborately booby trapped

Blumhouse, they've never spent more than $10 million on a film

most comics writers grasp of politics is beyond abysmal

OK that wins. I knew you would deliver Dave.

I was thinking, the home invader doesn't know he was adopted and the home owners are his real parents.

I think that one has actually been made already.

>Schizophrenic home invaders spend an entire two hour movie menacing a a nice suburban family who are just hallucinations

I... kind of want this.

I wonder how that'll work with M. Night's Glass, since the studio that owns the rights to Unbreakable wanted a piece of any next movie

I don't know. The Beyond suit was pretty schway.

And there are all kinds of goofy Elseworlds/Legends of the Dark Knight designs that have merit.

>Thing is, Diana already has an interesting angle you can take with her that nobody ever thinks of doing. She's a politician. Yeah, she's an ambassador, so have her do more political activities.
Yeah, the Embassy era was a good fucking time to be reading Wondie. But it's a mix of and a perceived opinion that superhero readers only want to read superhero stuff. Especially nowadays, I doubt you'd be able to muster enough interest to get that going.
This is also why Hawkworld V3 absolutely broke my heart.

>deep and meaningful
That should be in sarcastic quotes

true. should've said Bruce Suit maybe

True, but it needn't be anything approaching real world politics. More like Game of Thrones type of politics, where it's more or less a soap opera with a ton of rules.

And yes, I realize I just set up the easiest joke in the world, but you know what I mean.

>I think that one has actually been made already.

It's probably an episode of Tales From the Crypt

The act of redrawing them together (and then further being inked together) flattens the image a lot better, though.

Haneke has a solidly intellectual reputation but god I hate that movie, it's so smug