So would Kahn Souphanousinphone be considered “problematic” today?

So would Kahn Souphanousinphone be considered “problematic” today?

How so?

Yes of course.

He's not the main character; a blatant Asian stereotype, gay, trans, and identifies as male so......yes.

King of the Hill is liberal. Khan is handled incredibly well and defies a lot of caricature. He also sheds a lot of light on the kind of struggles an immigrant like him would face.

The way people treat him might raise some ire but there's never anything malicious and characters learn better in the show. even Cotton treats him well.

The only racist here is leftist white people white knighting other people of color

IIRC he wasn't voiced by someone from Laos and they didn't even speak Laotian on the show.

Should add that Khan is basically proto-Fresh off the Boat and people love that show.

>King of the Hill is liberal
So was the Simpsons

>they didn't even speak Laotian on the show.
Wasn't there an episode where they tried to teach Bobby Laotion?

Cotton and Kahn have the same VA.

Don’t know if they used real Laotian in that episode but practically every other time it was just literal gibberish and random noises for Laotian speak

You know who I realized a real problematic character is that no one mentions?

Oscar Kakashka from "Hey Arnold", the guy is a stereotype of Gypsy, eastern European folks who steal, gamble, lie and leach off of their surrounding neighbors, yet no one makes a complaint about it

Is his name a real word?

My brother's Vietnamese gf has told me multiple times that most of the southeast asian stereotypes shown in KotH hold true

He's Czech you fucking moron.

That's exactly what Eastern Europeans are like. It teaches children a valuable lesson.

I worked a company with a number of Asians and Asian clients. At least 3/4 of the things involving Khan on King of the Hill could have been straight from their lives. Most of them were far more racist than Kahn is though.

>Asian client came in
>Started loudly telling one of our Asian employees about how Mexicans were fat because they ate so much cheese and how black people smelled terrible

The editorial I've ever seen about it was basically "It could have been better in some areas, but it was pretty decent." The show does a good job of showing that they're assholes because their ASSHOLES and not because of being overachieving Asians. They even call out the fact that so many people believe in that stereotype that Connie has to act like Khan is a drugged-out bum to get a college interview.

Funnily enough, there's nothing that will stop them, because whites basically convinced them that Americans are okay with racism. It's doubly funny because whites don't realize that when Asians shit talk their race, it isn't good natured ribbing; they're genuinely expressing how much they hate you, ut know you're too stupid to think insults with a smile are still insults.

but its not racist when its accurate

Asians love this guy. The only ones butthurt would be white instagram SJW

Same goes for Mexicans towards Asians

>befriend a nice Mexican Zapotec who is a social activist for Indigenous people and women's rights in Latin America
>one day at a museum, an Asian couple cuts in front of us
>begins to tell me in Spanish, yes I'm Mexican too, that Asians are rude and nasty people
I was fucking shocked.

Yes, the Laotian-American community would be in absolute uproar

Yeah that'd be an issue today but then again finding three talented voice actors who can speak fluent Laotian would not be feasible.

>The only ones butthurt would be white instagram SJW
Why is it anytime absolutely any non-white is portrayed in even a slightly stereotypical way it's always white folk bitching while the actual ethnic group the character represents don't care or outright love him?

more like Kekeshka

Because whites are used to it always being mean-spirited and racist.

Fuck, dude; Slow poke Rodriguez is a beloved figure where I live BECAUSE he packs a gun.

No.

Look, I get that you hate liberals/SJWs/people who aren't racist shitholes, but I'm sick of this talking point. No, pretending the people you dislike would react badly to something isn't actually the same as them reacting badly to it. Despite this, about 80% of all the attacks I see on the left are purely hypothetical "They would be so buthurt if X happened." style shit.

why, because he doesn't look or sound white? I thought people wanted more diversity. You can't fucking satisfy them.

I was shocked to discover that he wasn't played by Yakov Smirnoff.

That's exactly what gypsies do though. Fuckers rolled into my town a few years back and abducted people's dogs to try and sell the meat.

Well anyone heard the new theory of why Cotton hated Hank Hill.

>He came from laos, a communist country that's still a one party marxist-leninist state
I'm surprised that cotton had no problem with khan at all

Cotton fought alongside commies against the Nazies and Japs. Unlike the baby boomers, Commies weren't that big deal.

Let's see

>dedicated father and husband
>more wealthy and successful than his neighbors
>frequently derides the white hillbillies he lives with
>is shown to have nuanced relations with his in-laws and only parents
>is a fleshed out character

>but he talks with a funny accent

Yeah, he'd be problematic because the people who hoot and holler like a bunch of morons about shit like that would only see

>LE FUNNY ACCENT ASIAN STEREOTYPE

And cry foul, despite never caring about the caricature accents of Scots, Irishmen, German, French people, Russians, Italians, etc. etc. Because they don't know how to just laugh and accept there's a grain of truth to funny accents since EVERY NATIVE LANGUAGE SPEAKER OF EVERY LANGUAGE finds flaws in secondary speakers accents to be humorous.

Didn't cotton also get into anti-communist cold war patriotism?

Cotton made two attempts to kill fidel castro so he must hold some anti communist views of some sort

Hmm, good question but I don't ever remember him actually caring. But here is a question to consider.
Maybe Cotton hated Hank so much because he didn't think Hank was his. It seemed like his mom really wasn't very faithful to anyone. Might be the reason he hated her as well. I mean he didn't hate Didi, or even his Japan son and lover. Only Didi

It can be reasonably assumed that cotton hated reds during the cold war, but since he never talks about it and always hated japs the most it can also be assumed his anti communist views died down a bit when communism was not as big of a threat to national security when the wall came down say compared to the 50s and 60s

Or maybe it's just because Fidel is the new hitler. Cotton want's to relive his war life, but Hitler is dead. He decides just to make Fidel the new Hitler and it has nothing to do with communism.