So what's the deal with Rick Flag...

So what's the deal with Rick Flag? I've seen him described as "DC's Captain America" and yet he didn't come off as very heroic or honorable in Suicide Squad. Is he better in the comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/film/news/shia-labeouf-suicide-squad-david-ayer-fury-scott-eastwood-1201852473/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he's a literal who

I’m guessing he was meant to be a break out character.
And then the movie actually came out soooooo...

>Captain America

He's more like DCs Nick Fury

Will Smith and Margo Robbie where meant to be the breakout characters.

Flagg was just David’s military/cop fetish forced into the movie.

>described as "DC's Captain America"

yeah that's not true? he's a grunt. and totally fucked up from war.

everyone's great in Ostrander Squad

>I've seen him described as "DC's Captain America"
By who? If anyone Steve Trevor fills that role, and only barely.

I've always felt Amanda Waller filled that role better. Fury is a guy always three steps ahead of his opponent, and always calling the shots. Flag is too much of a foot soldier for that to be true.

How does Steve Trevor fill that role? By also being named Steve?

idk but I find joel kinneman hot and want him to rape me

WW2 soldier that is occasionally portrayed as an ideal American. Like I said, he barely fits the criteria, but he fits it a lot better than Rick fucking Flag.

They were all mean to be break outs.
But all I saw was Will Smith playing himself. Katana, who’s sword traps the soul of her enemies. Best not to get on her bad side.

In Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Rick Flag is a pretty interesting character in that he's still very much a patriot and tries to be a hero, but by the time Waller found him he was already mourning and blaming himself for the death of his previous team-mates. And as leader of a bunch of criminals and unstable personalities, he has to bottle all that up inside and play the big bad drill sergeant to keep everyone in line. So through the run you can see how taxing keeping that up is on his psyche, how hard it is to stay a good man through it all, and he quickly develops into a compelling character on his own right. He's a honorable soldier who has to do very dishonorable things while dealing with personal tragedy and conflicted emotions.
Also, he has one of the loudest yellow shirts you'll ever see in comics.

Deadshot is fucking awesome so it is indeed disappointing that he was literally just "Will Smith character" in this movie.

The overriding theme of Ostrander Squad is that espionage work is a psychological meat grinder that will either chew up up and spit you out or scar you to the point that the only way you can function is to become a monster as horrible as the people you're fighting.

The overriding theme of the movie is Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind.

You know people like to shit on the Singer X-Men movies for how much they butcher the source material, but it least he understood what the basic fucking themes of the story are. SS couldn't even get that right.

I did not at any point get the impression that Suicide Squad even HAD a theme. Everyone felt like such a caricature of a real person. They hardly reacted to anything in the way a human being should. I don't know how much of this can be blamed on giving the editing privileges to the fucking trailer team, but a lot sure went wrong with this movie. I'd really love to know what the fuck they left on the cutting room floor. I've been meaning to read the novelization for a long time because I've heard it has a lot of stuff that wasn't in the movie, but I've been busy with actual books like BotNS so I haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah god forbid we have our villain characters act like villains. Fuck WB.

God forbid we have villain characters with some actual depth instead of just making them boring mustache-twirlingly evil cardboard cutouts.

Deathstroke is DCs captain America. Really.

Rick Flag is DC's Captain America because he wears the flag on his clothes.

pic related is DC's Captain America

I am DC's Captain America

Each of us, in our own way, is DC's Captain America.

Flagg was gonna be Shia LeBooof

this could almost be DC's Captain America, but I'm not sure they picked him up from Quality when they bought most of their properties

What a relief that didn't happen.

No he wasn't.

Originally it was going to be Big Guy Hardy, but he bounced after on-set drama. It was either conflict over Will Smith being big dick on set or Wb puytting their hands on the project and starting conflict early, or maybe both.

Then it was going to be Jake Gyllenhall, but he bounced quickly.

Then Joel Kinnamen,

>and yet he didn't come off as very heroic or honorable in Suicide Squad.
Nothing came off as anything positive or memorable in suicide squad.

It was a crap movie and every character was crap.

variety.com/2016/film/news/shia-labeouf-suicide-squad-david-ayer-fury-scott-eastwood-1201852473/

>I did not at any point get the impression that Suicide Squad even HAD a theme.
Tangentially related, but... I just watched The Shape of Water yesterday, and while I really enjoyed it, I have no fucking clue what the theme was supposed to be. Interspecies sex is cool?

That's Waller.

She can mow the lawn.

There is a middle ground.

Well the SS film didn't hit either extreme or the middle ground to begin with, so this is all moo.

>Will Smith being big dick on set

He shouldn't have been Deadshot to begin with. Karl Urban should have been the choice.

Karl Urban should be the choice for just about everyone but he's only one man.

>OP post pic of DCEU Rick Flag
>Obviously based on Rick Flag Jr.
>34 replies later
>Anons keep talking about WW2/Steve Trevor/Capt. America and comparisons
Geez you guys really don't read comics. Rick Flag Sr. lead the WW2 Suicide Squad in Star Spangled War Stories in '64.
If anything Rick Flag Jr. is like early days/pre-head of SHIELD Nick Fury.

normies gonna normie

then claim they read comics

Fuck off, everyone knows Sgt Rock is DC's WW2 Nick Fury.

Well the people in this thread certainly know more about comics than me. I only watch the movies and occasionally the cartoons.

>How does Steve Trevor fill that role? By also being named Steve?
Trevor is intentionally DC's expy of Steve Rogers, this isn't a secret.

Pfft. Next you're going to tell me Slade Wilson and Wade Wilson are connected somehow.

I liked Flagg in the movie... but that's more to do with the fact I feel profound homolust for Kinnaman and that puzzling anglo-american-swedish inflexion of his voice.

I thought he did a completely shitty job in this movie but I'm watching his new show and he's actually really good in it so I'm thinking his performance in Suicide Squad must have been the director's fault. I can see why people are into him.

>everyone knows Sgt Rock is DC's WW2 Nick Fury.
Sgt. Rock debut in 1959 & Sgt. Fury in 1963. Good job pal.

You're right. Checkout this guy

You mean Altered Carbon? Yeah, the show it's alright.
He was fucking great in The Killing too.

Oh my gosh, those two panels are kind of similar!

I know Sgt Rock debuted before him, and even that Nick Fury's Howling Commandos was a deliberate attempt to give Marvel their own Sgt Rock/WW2 title. But in terms of the universe they fill the role of 'hardened WW2 vet that takes no shit'. Nick Fury just happened to transition brilliantly into an espionage focused character, becoming 'the' comic book spymaster.

>Karl Urban Deadshot
That is some good taste, friend.

Something about romance.
But the romance aspect was so shittily done.

>But in terms of the universe they fill the role of 'hardened WW2 vet that takes no shit'
>Nick Fury just happened to transition brilliantly into an espionage focused character
Mostly because Marvel introduced a few new WW2 books when they turned Fury into a SHIELD agent.

Captain? You're a credit to your nation, son but let Uncle step up.

Freedom Fighters vs Invaders when?!

This is the most honest answer. Deathstroke was the cold war Captain America.

>so I'm thinking his performance in Suicide Squad must have been the director's fault.

Which i weird because one of Ayer's talents is getting insanely committed performances out of actors, even if the material is trash.

Go watch Keanu in Street Kings or Logan Lerman suddenly being decent in Fury or fucking hell, even the actors in Bright. One of his talents is working with actors.

Or?