I'm basically a virgin to the DCU and I'm about to read this, what am I in for?

I'm basically a virgin to the DCU and I'm about to read this, what am I in for?

The only good weekly series ever. It's what got me into comics.

nice, sounds kino :^)

You're in for a lot of backreading

A clusterfuck that turned into a small miracle.

That's not a good starting point if your new to comics it's very continuity heavy.

I didn't say I was new to comics.
But if you mean it's continuity-heavy, I'm willing to read up on stuff I don't get.

Any pointers for where the backreading will take place?

Kirby's Forever People
Geoff Johns' JSA
Infinite Crisis and some of the tie-ins
Morrison's Animal Man
Rucka and Brubaker's Gotham Central
O'Neil's Question
Adam Strange: Planet Heist

It's fun.

Amanda Waller is one of DC's greatest characters of all time, but this series has her do stupid villainous shit for no real discernible reason, and as such I think it should take partial blame for the disasters that were New 52 Suicide Squad and the 2016 film Suicide Squad.

fun
DC C-listers save the world

I wonder if it was Morrison's revenge for that time when John Ostrander killed him.

Same here. I had seen some Linkara (don't judge me) which started an interest, and then by pure chance on StumbleUpon I found a site that had the first 5 issues of 52. I read them and on from there I slowly purchased the volumes at the local normal book shop.

Sooooooooo good. Sure, there's confusion about specific characters and mentions, but for a newbie like me it was more of a window into this detailed expansive world that made me more interested in what other stories it had to offer.

The lack of Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman really helped sell the DC universe to me, and it's my second favorite superhero universe (first is Valiant).

Namor is great !

I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I'm interested in why you're starting with 52. It references a lot of past DC continuity, especially Infinite Crisis which happened right before it, while also being somewhat of a launching point for Final Crisis, the next major event.

Basically, it's a really great DC universe story but not something I'd ever recommend as its own stand alone story.

A number of anons here have said this was a great intro to comics for them. If I follow back through a chain of continuity references just to understand a story I'm interested in, I'll never get there. I'm not afraid of being alienated/confused.

Well you'll have fun then for sure. Morrison is my favorite writer, and he finds ways to reference his previous stuff a lot. I'd use that as an excuse to read his other works.

Yeah, well the actual main reason I went for 52 is basically as a gateway to his Batman saga, because I know there are tangential connections. Should be interesting.

Just don't be ashamed to feel stupid if you don't understand it the first time around. Morrison's the kind of writer where shit only really starts making sense on the second or third re-read.

The only attempt at a weekly western capeshit that turned out well
And if you look at what is known about what went on behind the scenes it going well was a fucking miracle. They barely held it together.

Wouldn't the only way that be blamed for squad movie was killing her entire team for no reason?
But yeah she was way too moraly off in nu52