Someone leaked part of the script and I can't believe there's people in this board that still defend this thing...

Someone leaked part of the script and I can't believe there's people in this board that still defend this thing. Even if you liked the book I don't see how anyone would be able to defend the movie without giving themselves away as a contrarian at this point.

Attached: You are what you choose to be.png (999x516, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jOxGTwumYD0
twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Ready Player One was a New York Times bestseller.[11][12][13] Among those praising the book were Entertainment Weekly, The Boston Globe, The A.V. Club, CNN.com, io9, and Boing Boing. USA Today wrote that the novel "undoubtedly qualifies Cline as the hottest geek on the planet right now."[14] NPR said that the book was "ridiculously fun and large-hearted". Cline "takes a far-out premise and engages the reader instantly" with a "deeply felt narrative [that] makes it almost impossible to stop turning the pages."[15] Janet Maslin of The New York Times wrote that "The book gets off to a witty start" but noted that it lacks at least one dimension, stating that gaming had overwhelmed everything else about this book.[16] Rebecca Serle of The Huffington Post described the book as "the grown-up's Harry Potter" and that it "has it all – nostalgia, trivia, adventure, romance, heart and, dare I say it, some very fascinating social commentary."[17]

Attached: CE37621B-22D4-49FD-9963-7F1D46DC906E.jpg (1252x1666, 660K)

a moment of silence for the poor people of Austin who are suffering this horrible tragedy

Attached: RIP Austin.png (604x666, 413K)

Attached: E404E724-0B25-43C7-B2E3-3CE0AB0AEB9D.jpg (600x946, 226K)

>dare I say it
MemeMagic is real!

What is supposed to be horrible here?

>but the katana is also a gun
I am going to randomly think about this and laugh for a long time.

Is this, dare I say, /our/book?

>people are still falling for this
>Sup Forums isn't the lowest IQ board they said

>Pink Floyd is an 80s band with silly lyrics

Attached: 1518645450632.gif (498x600, 984K)

oh they did, did they? well we'll show them

Op may be fake but ain’t.

It shits on the whole message of The Iron Giant pretty hard.

Is it low IQ to fall for it, or is it believable that RP1 would be this terrible?

Shut up, Moviebob

>Iron Giant wielding a katana
Please tell me this is just a fucking meme and not real.

Attached: 1520401340038s.jpg (114x125, 3K)

>Well WB, you've done it. I don't think it will be possible for you to put out anything worse than Friend Request and the DCEU.
>Wanna bet?
youtube.com/watch?v=jOxGTwumYD0

Attached: readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-labyrinth.jpg (1405x2048, 1.32M)

Do I need to post the list again?

I'm honestly interested in an annotated "Ready Player One" that lists every pop culture reference made in the book.

>Do I need to post the list again?
Please do, I don't think I've seen it yet.

Except it’s based off the best-selling book that was beloved by everyone

Literature, Series or Single Books:
>Monty Python's Big Red Book (1971)
>The Brand New Monty Python Bok (1973)
>Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1977)
>Monty Python's The Life of Brian/MONTYPYTHONSCRAPBOOK (1979)
>The Complete Works of Shakespeare and Monty Python. Volume One – Monty Python (1981)
>Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)
>The Monty Python Gift Boks (1986)
>Monty Python's Flying Circus – Just The Words Volumes 1-2 (1989)
>The Fairly Incomplete & Rather Badly Illustrated >Monty Python Song Book (1994)
>Monty Python's Fliegender Zirkus (1998)
>Monty Python Speaks! (1999)
>A Pocketful of Python, Volumes 1-5 (1999 to 2002)
>The Pythons' Autobiography by the Pythons (edited by Bob McCabe) (2003)
>Monty Python Live! (2009)

Literature, Authors:
>Douglas Adams
>Kurt Vonnegut
>Neal Stephenson
>Richard K. Morgan
>Stephen King
>Orson Scott Card
>Terry Pratchett
>Terry Brooks
>Alfred Bester
>Ray Bradbury
>Joe William Haldeman
>Robert A. Heinlein
>J. R. R. Tolkein
>Jack Vance
>William Gibson
>Neil Gaiman
>S. M. Sterling
>Michael Moorcock
>John Scalzi
>Roger Zelazny

Film, Franchise or Standalone:
>WarGames (1983)
>Ghostbusters (1984)
>Real Genius (1985)
>Better Off Dead (1985)
>Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
>Star Wars (1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005)
>Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003)
>The Matrix (1999, 2003)
>Mad Max (1979, 1981, 1985)
>Back to the Future (1985, 1989, 1990)
>Indiana Jones (1981, 1984, 1989)
>Star Trek (1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002)
>Godzilla (1954 to 1975, 1984 to 1995)
>Gamera (1965 to 1980, 1995 to 1999)
>And Now For Something Completely Different (1971)
>Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
>Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
>Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982)

not by user and not by me. so much for your "everyone".

who fucking cares, its still gonna be a best movie so fuck off faggot

Film, Director:
>James Cameron
>Terry Gilliam
>Peter Jackson
>David Fincher
>Stanley Kubrick
>George Lucas
>Steven Spielberg
>Guillermo del Toro
>Quentin Tarantino
>Kevin Smith
>John Hughes

Television, Live-Action:
>Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969 to 1974)
>The Greatest American Hero (1981 to 1983)
>Airwolf (1984 to 1987)
>The A-Team (1983 to 1987)
>Knight Rider (1982 to 1986)
>Misfits of Science (1985 to 1986)
>The Muppet Show (1976 to 1981)
>The Simpsons (1989 to present)
>Star Trek (1966 to 1969)
>Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987 to 1994)
>Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993 to 1999)
>Star Trek: Voyager (1995 to 2001)
>Star Trek: Enterprise (2001 to 2005)
>Land of the Lost (1974 to 1976)
>H.R. Pufnstuf (1969)
>The Space Giants (1966 to 1967)

Television, Animated:
>Challenge of the GoBots (1984 to 1985)
>The Transformers (1984 to 1987)
>Thundarr the Barbarian (1980 to 1981)
>He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983 to 1985)
>Schoolhouse Rock! (1973 to 1985)
>G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (1983 to 1986)
>Star Blazers (1979 to 1984)
>G-Force: Guardians of Space (1986)
>Speed Racer (1967 to 1968)

Music, Album:
>Monty Python's Flying Circus (1970)
>Another Monty Python Record (1971)
>Monty Python's Previous Record (1972)
>The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief (1973)
>Monty Python Live at Drury Lane (1974)
>The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
>Monty Python Live at City Center (1976)
>The Monty Python Instant Record Collection (1977)
>Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
>Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album (1980)
>The Final Rip Off (1987)
>Monty Python Sings (1989)
>The Ultimate Monty Python Rip Off (1994)

Music, Artist:
>Bill Hicks
>The Police
>Journey
>R.E.M.
>The Clash
>They Might Be Giants
>Devo
>Van Halen
>Bon Jovi
>Def Leppard
>Pink Floyd
>Midnight Oil

Comics:
>

Video Games:
>All of them.

I miss anything?

it's fake but also about the same quality as the actual book

God I hate this author's voice. I mean like how he writes. This is awful. I can't imagine the movie would be better.
Also this whole "I've seen all these movies and read all these books" thing? Stupid.

Doctor Who

>want to be angry at the butchering of Iron Giant's characterization
>want to laugh forever at "but the katana is also a gun" and the image of Iron Giant with a Clint Eastwood ribber mask wielding a guntana
Is "mirthful rage" an emotion? Because I'm not sure what else to call this. Mostly rage, though.

Attached: THE INFINITE WHITE-HOT FURY.jpg (400x437, 137K)

but it's got such talented writers like the guy who wrote Elektra and the guy who wrote Fanboys

Attached: From the director of BFG.png (604x441, 99K)

>Almost every single thing it references are things from the 80's and 90's
Isn't this movie supposed to take place in 2044?

Attached: 1396931642436.png (244x273, 28K)

The book was written by a fifty-year-old manchild obsessed with the past like Chris-Chan is obsessed with Sonic (even inserted himself as the protagonist)

that's one of the major conceits, the guy who made the VR game was obsessed with the 80s (and sometimes the 90s and 2000s because lol what's consistency), so he loaded it with references. The game then became so popular that it killed all cultural development and originality.

it would be an incisive commentary on the state of Hollywood today if it had even a shred of self-awareness, but it doesn't.

you wouldn't think it were possible to fuck up a post-apocalyptic dystopia story but somehow he managed

Attached: Cline_Martin.jpg (647x432, 287K)

It wouldn't even need to be a commentary on Hollywood specifically. The story could go that as the characters progress, the pop culture references become empty and hollow rather than nostalgic, and in the end the game's creator could be like "I thought it would be fun to live in the past, but it turns out it's not, so I'm shutting down the game in the hopes that others will take inspiration and create new stories from the old" or something like that.

But I'm going to assume the ending of the book is like "You win, and your obsession with the 1980s is justified. Here's a girlfriend for you."

the ending is basically "Maybe it's better to go outside sometimes. Here's a girlfriend for you."

He gets the option to shut it down, but he doesn't do anything with it in the story.

It's fake. Depressingly believable because the book is that bad, but this is fake.

>just play through a bunch of platinum games
>read this shit

That sounds pretty cool. Get Kamiya on the line.

Attached: All aboard the fuck you express.jpg (530x750, 111K)

>was obsessed with the 80s (and sometimes the 90s and 2000s because lol what's consistency)
That would be believable if every single thing references wasn't entry level pop culture that only people that have but a passing interest in said eras would have.

I mean it's basically describing Metal Gear Ray in Revengeance

Absolutely disgusting

Attached: 1520116796880.gif (315x174, 1.39M)

he pulls out some slightly deeper shit as the book progresses, but it's all video games. And a few obscure-ish mecha anime.

really it's apparent the writer was only obsessed with 80s video games but wanted to present himself as a more erudite nerd with a broader range of interests.

I just downloaded an ePUB of the book to see, and I feel like we're both right. Mostly because he gets a girlfriend at the end, and I feel like it was undeserved.

It's still hilarious how he says nothing about comics in his long diatribe earlier.

On a lark I CTRL+F'd "comic book" and found this:

>I nodded. “The prizes were all mentioned in the Swordquest comic books that came with the games. Comic books which happen to be visible in the treasure room in the final scene of Anorak’s Invitation, by the way.”
>The crowd burst into applause. I-r0k lowered his head in shame.
>Since I’d become a gunter, it had been obvious to me that Halliday had drawn inspiration for his contest from the Swordquest contest. I had no idea if he’d borrowed any of the puzzles from them too, but I’d studied the games and their solutions thoroughly, just to be safe.
>“Fine. You win,” I-r0k said. “But you both obviously need to get a life.”
>“And you,” I said, “obviously need to find a new hobby. Because you clearly lack the intelligence and commitment to be a gunter.”
>“No doubt,” Aech said. “Try doing some research for a change, I-r0k. I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia? It’s free, douchebag.”
>I-r0k turned and walked over to the long boxes of comic books stacked on the other side of the room, as if he’d lost interest in the discussion. “Whatever,” he said over his shoulder. “If I didn’t spend so much time offline, getting laid, I’d probably know just as much worthless shit as you two do.”

There's an actual "the crowd burst into treats" scene, coupled with a classic "I'm having more sex than you" retort. Jesus Christ.

>wanted to present himself as a more erudite nerd with a broader range of interests
I don't even understand what the purpose of this was? was it to make his commentary on pop culture dying? I'm pretty damn sure all of this would be more enjoyable if he had stuck to what he actually knew about instead of cramming the book full of shit he had barely any knowledge of just to make some sort of statement.

>I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia?
Of course he'd be proud of being someone that just wikis everything and skims every article on shit he doens't know about

I don't want to talk about I-r0k

he wanted to prove he's a real nerd

Attached: 6bvwnHs.png (831x433, 62K)

>Try doing some research for a change, I-r0k. I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia? It’s free, douchebag.”

Attached: hate.jpg (500x359, 35K)

Here's the Message as delivered by Halliday at the end of the book:

>“I call this the Big Red Button,” Halliday said. “If you press it, it will shut off the entire OASIS and launch a worm that will delete everything stored on the GSS servers, including all of the OASIS source code. It will shut down the OASIS forever.” He smirked. “So don’t press it unless you’re absolutely positive it’s the right thing to do, OK?” He gave me an odd smile. “I trust your judgment.”
>Halliday slid the bookshelf back into place, concealing the button once again. Then he startled me by putting his arm around my shoulders. “Listen,” he said, adopting a confidential tone. “I need to tell you one last thing before I go. Something I didn’t figure out for myself until it was already too late.” He led me over to the window and motioned out at the landscape stretching out beyond it. “I created the OASIS because I never felt at home in the real world. I didn’t know how to connect with the people there. I was afraid, for all of my life. Right up until I knew it was ending. That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real. Do you understand?”
>“Yes,” I said. “I think I do.”
>“Good,” he said, giving me a wink. “Don’t make the same mistake I did. Don’t hide in here forever.”
>He smiled and took a few steps away from me. “All right. I think that covers everything. It’s time for me to blow this pop stand.”
>Then Halliday began to disappear. He smiled and waved good-bye as his avatar slowly faded out of existence.
>“Good luck, Parzival,” he said. “And thanks. Thanks for playing my game.”
>Then he was completely gone.

Didn't this dude meet all of his friends in the game?

and his girlfriend!

Apparently so.
From what I'm gleaning, everybody is connected to the OASIS to the point that they even have schools in the OASIS. I might be wrong.

But yeah, everything happens in-game. I anticipate a similar scene to that one part of "Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over" where the lead guy meets his friends in real life only for them to be completely unlike their in-game representation.

>They're actually going to make use of the Iron Giant in the most asisnine way possible.
>We could have gotten the Mecha Godzilla vs the three other mechs fight.

Fucking Booo. Come on man. That's lame as fuck.

yes and his girlfriend and I'm pretty sure it's how he gets his education

well now you get Kong vs Cloverfield

And that is the main reason why I really think he just tacked on the idea he was supposedly going for at the end.

He's not hiding from reality. It's a form of reality and it's how he knows literally all the people he's friendly with. Sure it might be an issue if you never get around to a real life meet up and you do it in a physically unhealthy way but some of the most enduring friendships have been formed in less interactive games.

Me and this drunk Russian dude bonded over fucking Demon Souls.

On another lark, I CTRL+F'd "Iron Giant". 1 of 1 result:

>One of the “wise men” from the dungeon appeared on the screen, with a speech balloon that said, “Thank you. I am indebted to you. Please accept a giant robot as your reward.”
>A long row of robot icons appeared below the wise man, stretching across the screen horizontally. By moving the joystick left or right, I found that I was able to scroll through a selection of over a hundred different “giant robots.” When one of these robots was highlighted, a detailed list of its stats and weaponry appeared on the screen beside it.
>There were several robots I didn’t recognize, but most were familiar. I spotted Gigantor, Tranzor Z, the Iron Giant, Jet Jaguar, the sphinx-headed Giant Robo from Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, the entire Shogun Warriors toy line, and many of the mechs featured in both the Macross and Gundam anime series. Eleven of these icons were grayed out and had a red “X” over them, and these robots could not be identified or selected. I knew they must be the ones taken by Sorrento and the other Sixers who had cleared this gate before me.
>It seemed possible that I was about to be awarded a real, working recreation of whichever robot I selected, so I studied my options carefully, searching for the one I thought would be the most powerful and well armed. But I stopped cold when I saw Leopardon, the giant transforming robot used by Supaidaman, the incarnation of Spider-Man who appeared on Japanese TV in the late 1970s. I’d discovered Supaidaman during the course of my research and had become somewhat obsessed with the show. So I didn’t care if Leopardon was the most powerful robot available. I had to have him, regardless.
>I highlighted that icon and tapped the Fire button. A twelve-inch-tall replica of Leopardon appeared on top of the Black Tiger cabinet. I grabbed it and placed it in my inventory.

that exact scenario happens, when the MC discovers his best friend is actually a black woman

he continues to call them "he" in-game, though

>Kong vs the Cloverfield mosnter.

Don't fucking remind me.

Even by videogame standards Kong isn't that big to fight the Cloverfield monster.

Hell he'd barely go toe to toe with the Iron Giant.

I knew they were gonna butcher the movie in a few ways but god damn at least keep the final battle intact that's all I asked.

They better not fuck up the Key trails though. I want to see a good game of Joust not just a shitty race

>That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.

What a trite sentiment.

I think part of the problem with RPO (I can't confirm it, but it's a common problem) is that everybody speaks with the same voice.

it's not like the actual Joust confrontation in the book was particularly exciting
>literally play Joust on an arcade cabinet
>MC is literally so autistic that he can't win until he switches to Player One, the position he memorized the game on

Welcome to the world of Ernest Cline

Attached: Ernest-Ernie-Cline-Austin-author-DeLorean-Ecto-88_123211.jpg (633x475, 124K)

Roads are going to be even more clogged than usual for the next week.

Are all the top players teenagers or are they 60 year-old oldfags that actually lived trough the 90's?

>Literally met all his friends in the game and everyone's fucking obsession with escapism is because of the idea the moron invented
Jesus Christ what a cluster fuck. I need to get off my ass and finish my novel.

at least it has a good theme song

twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896?lang=en

Attached: 1.jpg (1080x1600, 294K)

From what I gleaned based on the book description and the trailers, it's a fight between teenagers/twenty-somethings who see the OASIS as a place of freedom, against yuppies and suits who want to monetize the OASIS or whatever.

>the grown-up's Harry Potter"
Makes sense to compare Ready Player One to one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Attached: 1483297574286.jpg (1623x2886, 1.27M)

With this, Armada, 50 shades, and Twilight there is no reason ANYONE should think they can't write

this image always makes me laugh

>teenagers/twenty-somethings who see the OASIS as a place of freedom
People that lived in the 90's wouldn't even be that old by the time Oasis rolled around. They'd be on their 50-60's, why does this movie purposefully make it so hard for me to drop my disbelief? They could've at least mentioned there not being any old people on the Oasis because they died of bad health or something.

What's "Armada"?

I'm probably wrong about the ages. The general idea is just "old versus young" like it's that one episode of "The Simpsons".

youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Related.

Cline's book after Ready Player One. From what im gathering, its about some kid who can play games like Galaga or something so he gets recruited to defend Earth from aliens. Literally another 80s reference fuckfest.

>What's "Armada"?
you aren't going to believe this, but it's the BAD Ernest Cline book.

and I'm sure WB is about to announce the adaptation at Comiccon

Attached: 51xqmUIOIJL.jpg (325x500, 34K)

>everyone
user I’ve discussed this movie with several people, and so far not one of them has been aware that it’s even based on a book.

y'know i was thinking about making a Twitter shitpost where I'd post framegrabs from that one episode of Futurama where Fry plays Space Invaders to fend off aliens from stealing everybody's quarters

but holy shit i didn't think anybody would make a book about it

armada is hilarious bc ready player one was already a Last Starfighter rip off

the same guy that helped write the Avengers which had a similar plot to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, X-Men 2, Charlie's Angels, and The Incredible Hulk. Why did Zac Penn get so many opportunities to work on movies that Kevin 'The Movie Genius' Feige was a producer of if he is a bad writer?

If there has ever been a book i have genuinely felt like getting a refund for. Ready Player One came to mind.

>but the katana is also a gun

Attached: 1510688975936.jpg (1024x1024, 59K)

the only book I ever returned for not liking was some Harry Turtledove novel

Was it the Southern Victory series?

probably. It had Robert E. Lee with an AK-47 on the cover

Just looked it up. It was not part of Turtledove's Southern Victory series. It was a book called "Guns of the South"

>The cover of 1984
God dammnit Winston is supposed to be like thirty and missing teeth, and Julia is supposed to be plain besides her lips. Why the fuck did they draw them as supermodels? I mean, I know WHY. But....why?

YOUR MEMES END HERE.

It's extremely common among hack writers to not really get how to write people who are supposed to think differently. See: Kevin Smith.

How do you feel about "Go outside and talk to other humans face to face" being a monumental task that the author struggled to complete, and the trial that most shaped his writing style and thought process?. As WW1 was to Hemingway, talking to an actual girl was to Cline.

PS I read RP1 a couple years ago and remain amazed that anyone would call it good.

based copypasta poster

Is this an excerpt from the book? It's like a Magic Eye and if I stare at it long enough I see the Reddit mascot. Who the fuck would ever think this is an acceptable level of writiing?

Somebody shed some serious dough for advertising.

Battletoads!

>That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.
There's a school of amateur writers who detest writing dialogue. They find the idea of writing believable, engaging conversations between two characters a daunting task, because they fear that failing to write such dialogue will end up negating all the personality they put into their characters from the other parts of the story. To get around this, many adopt the technique of imagining a conversation in their heads, using their imaginations to simulate what words these characters would actually use if they were speaking in the real world. It makes the task a little less frightening (though certainly is itself a skill that needs to be honed), and if mastered can be a valuable asset to any writers repertoire.

I say all of this because dialogue like this are clear indicators of amateur writing, because nobody says schmaltzy shit like this in the real world. Characters who talk like this aren't actual characters, they're puppets that exist solely to provide information dumps so we can move on to the next part of the story, and that's fucking terrible. I mean, here's my take on this line:

>"Look, the real world fuckin' sucks, dude. It's not news to you and it's not news to me. But, I mean, it's not like it's ALL bad, right? Everybody's got somethin' they like about their real lives, like a dog or a girlfriend or a restaurant or somethin', I dunno. Point is, it's worth sittin' through the shit if we get to come home to the good things, 'cause at the end of the day those good things are what keep us alive. You know what I mean? I know I'm kinda ramblin', but you get it, right?"

I'm not a good writer, I know that, but I'd like to think on some level I was able to convey a personality through the way the sentences were structured, because I tried to visualize how an actual person might say something.

>that right legg

I've read and enjoyed most of that list.