Was the Archie Sonic comics the greatest comic book run of all time?

Was the Archie Sonic comics the greatest comic book run of all time?

Attached: IMG_3804.jpg (700x1085, 417K)

the pre-super genesis wave era was better cause it had original stories and characters. the post super genesis wave era is pretty much the games just tweaked i gave up cause the sonic unleashed adaptation story dragged on for so long

Commission I got from one of the main artists of the comic.

Attached: 28951931_1609282339119336_5070556188278521856_n.jpg (720x960, 124K)

no, but it was still pretty cool, in retrospect.
I still feel like holds true. Even with all the drama and drag it failed to hold my interest after the reboot.

Attached: DV3tcw0XUAI9km6.jpg (988x826, 111K)

This story was a huge waste. Could have had a big multiverse ending plot with the two doctors

Attached: images.jpg (200x221, 8K)

>didnt even have the balls to have Greg Martin's classic Sonic fighting Robotnik instead of the shitty ass hentai sonic
what a fucking autist

Attached: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.jpg (804x474, 110K)

I'm surprised it lasted so long. It was really awful from the like mid 90s to like 2007 and should've been cancelled. It encountered an extreme legal fuck up that should've killed it, but it still held on for like 4 more years. Hell SEGA seemed to not really like it at all considering how often they ignored it, but still if Archie wasn't legally retarded it probably would still be around.

I hope Ian learned from the reboot's mistakes. SWC dragged so fucking hard.

Was this ever updated?

Attached: 1440258835699.jpg (1449x1228, 380K)

No. Next question

As someone who's read the entire mess, and actually was sad to see it end, hell no. It doesn't get good until Ian took over and started working the stupid out of the comic, and then right when things were really getting going the forced reboot fucked everything up. But that was OK, Ian was rebuilding, Eggman was building an army, shit was getting good again. Even the crossover with Mega Man was entertaining. Then another forced crossover happened and sucked, and drama killed the comic. You never get a decent resolution or end-point, at best you get some entertainment during the good years.

No one ever knew what to do with Sally, the Mecha Sally plot arc ended up being the most interesting she's ever been, and it didn't even get to finish properly. Bunnie seemed to be forgotten about for long stretches, and only dragged back in when they needed a heavy hitter, or when Ian decided to do something worthwhile with Antoine. They managed to make Nicole into a usable character right before Ian took over, but it never felt like he did anything with her beyond some very minor and momentary drama. Then we got the egg bosses, only to waste most of the time on fucking Witchcart Wendy. At least he didn't bring Monkey Khan back.

Still love the characters and have no plans to buy the new comic until I see them return.

>quality drops from 25-50

That's... wrong. The comic saw a steady rise in quality up to 50, then started the death spiral.

>Still love the characters and have no plans to buy the new comic until I see them return.
So you're never buying the comic.

He isn't a target audience Sonic either needs or deserves.

Attached: Eggman likes.jpg (560x416, 35K)

The hell's wrong with Robotnik's chin?

>tfw the very first issue I picked up out of an airport rack by chance was 160

I dodged a bullet not noticing the comic any earlier.

You know, I'm gonna say yes, even though that's untrue, but goddamn if it wasn't a hell of a run. The early issues written by Mike Gallagher are still a riot of puns, slapstick and sight gags that I appreciate more now than I ever did as a kid. Some of the more serious arcs pre-issue 50 are impressive, specifically Mecha Madness. The dark ages are often just bad enough to be amusing, and Flynn actually did some of his best work when he was just trying to clean up Penders' mess early on. This book has been constant background noise in my life. It's been weird to be without it for the past year.

>i gave up cause the sonic unleashed adaptation story dragged on for so long
It was pretty fuckin' awful. Adapting an already-5-year-old plot when the reboot should have been something fresh was a fucking mistake. The Fighters arc was the only thing worth reading, post reboot, in my opinion.

There's no way in hell that post-reboot is better than the early Gallagher years.

U wot m8? That's not Sonic the Comic.

Attached: 1CD.jpg (910x1250, 320K)

Fleetway Robotnik, best Robotnik.

Fleetway did the whole "Doc goes crazy from all his defeats" storyline years before Archie did.

And StC's take on it was better.

>41-50
>Not garbage
Sell me on the idea, because I know that's bullshit.

rubbish design tho

I'm inclined to think so desu. Having one long storyline and sticking to it for that long is fucking based, it's one of the few Western comics I read as a kid for that reason

Are there any other comics that had a massive jump in quality after years and years of rubbish and a death spiral?
Only one off the top of my head is Cerebus.

Prophet, although there were only 20 issues.
ASM when JMS took over.
Claremont X-Men.
Morrison Batman.
Miller Daredevil.
Kirby Superman family of books via New Gods (Supes books had been in a slump for a decade)
Miller Batman.

It happens a lot on ling lived titles. Superman's been mostly garbage with occasional gems since the 90's and Spidey's mostly in the same boat. Batman fell into it ~2011, too.

I hope the IDW run does something to give Penders one planet-sized fuck you.

The worst thing they can do to him is ignore him.

He wants attention. Ignore him. Put your petty grudge aside and turn the other cheek.

No because it was about Sonic to damn much who solved all the problems by homself to the point the writter had to make sonic universe fanfiction stories where everyone was ooc and too quippy too cringe levels. He became to much of a insufferable quip throwing austist it even got Amy out for his blood.

Oh and Shadow and Knuckles were laughable losers compared to Sonic especially Shadow who beaten by every final boss fight hes ever been.

Sonic not only got the final boss fight with pretty much every enemy that curbstomped Shadow a few panels in, he then on went whupping Shadows opponents for him and bragging it in his face, and i though Shadow was the asshole of the two.

The hell is this slut saying?

There's not a single story where that happens. The book went out of its way to never actually have Sonic one up Knuckles or Shadow.

>The worst thing they can do to him is ignore him.
Just imagine how much of a breakdown he'd have if absolutely everyone actually did this.

>shitty ass hentai sonic
Hello Mariotehplumber, long time no see.

It gave us the best Eggman.

Um the arc had them team up against scrub like crocobot while getting trashed by scourge then having two work together against Scourge but sonic took most of the credit.

Shadows also been nerfed from being a legit threat when he turns into Super Shadow, Super Sonic is allowed to beat up an omnipotent god and trick him into defeating himself. Shadow got one shotted and decided to let sonic handle it.

Oh and theres the megaman crossover, sonoc took out dozens of robot masters on his own, while shadow got beaten by one and nearly killed by the other without omegas help.

Knuckles himself has never got a solid victory against either Sonic or Shadow and got whupped by Snively of all people.

>Um the arc had them team up against scrub like crocobot
Yeah they beat up a big stupid robot together.
>while getting trashed by scourge then having two work together against Scourge
Yeah they both got wrecked for a few panels to sell that Scourge is slightly tougher than them. They immediately start kicking hiss was once they work together.

>but sonic took most of the credit.
>Sonic the Hedgehog brags and his friends like him more.
Wow. What incredible disrespect.
We gonna ignore that a few issues later the future version of Shadow completely wrecks Sonic's ass? Okay.

>Shadows also been nerfed from being a legit threat when he turns into Super Shadow, Super Sonic is allowed to beat up an omnipotent god and trick him into defeating himself. Shadow got one shotted and decided to let sonic handle it.
The only thing I can think of here is Scourge, and Shadow was written out of the arc specifically so he didn't have to look weak/stupid.

>Oh and theres the megaman crossover, sonoc took out dozens of robot masters on his own while shadow got beaten by one and nearly killed by the other without omegas help.
If you're talking about before the finale, his ass got sneak attacked and converted (this has also happened to Sonic and Knuckles in the past). If you're talking about the finale, he tears through the hordes with ease and saves Dr. Light.

>Knuckles himself has never got a solid victory against either Sonic or Shadow
Sonic's lost to both of them and never got a win. What are you on about?
>got whupped by Snively of all people.
So did Sonic. In fact Snively nearly killed his ass instead of just subduing him.

It sounds like you're just asshurt Shadow and Knuckles aren't better than Sonic. Seriously, you're talking nonsense here.

We have background echidnas at least, which don't live in a secret city.

Attached: Dr__Finitevus_Reprise_by_Kiriska.jpg (500x641, 168K)

>No because it was about Sonic to damn much
Are you serious? The comic had the exact opposite issue a lot of the time.