The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 6: Inferno (Part 1)

Eeyup. We're fucking back.
For those of you just joining us, the basic gist is that I'm storytiming pretty much EVERY X-Men comic book from 1963 to the present. Why do this? Well, a couple years back things were looking pretty bleak for our favorite muties (they still don't look so good, but at least a certain infamous push stopped), and so I decided to revisit better days, days when people actually looked forward to X-Men comics.
So if whether you're an old reader whose patience finally paid off or a new reader who decided to join this ride, sit back and enjoy the last event of 1980's Marvel. It's a doozy.

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:
mega.nz/#F!5kJFCBjJ!TG-NaDE3TdmkZ_uVOkD3eg

Attached: 00.jpg (1812x2806, 1.22M)

We're only reading one issue today, but more tomorrow for sure!

Attached: 01.jpg (2063x3131, 1.49M)

Attached: 02.jpg (2063x3131, 1.26M)

Attached: 03.jpg (2063x3131, 1.51M)

Attached: 04.jpg (2063x3131, 1.69M)

The good thing about pre-2000's comics is that you're rarely lost since the characters constantly recap what happened previously.

Attached: 05.jpg (2063x3131, 1.82M)

Attached: 06.jpg (2063x3131, 1.54M)

this is Ghostbusters influenced as much as The Brood Saga was Aliens influenced.

And if in current Bunn XMen Blue Havok ends up banging Miss Sinister or Emma it will be because of the influence of Inferno
I dont really like much of the Claremont run from Mutant Massacre on to be honest. (I am the fag who storytimed Tieri Weapon X and Maverick the last month)

Attached: 07.jpg (2063x3131, 1.29M)

Claremont gets carried away with it sometimes, though. His last few issues with Jim Lee bury the story in tangential exposition.

Attached: 08.jpg (2063x3131, 1.69M)

I agree. The run loses steam in the 80’s. I love Silverstri, though.

Ah, I definitely missed that. I haven't been coming to Sup Forums very often lately.

Yeah, he was starting to lose his touch, I feel like he left the title at the right time, even if it wasn't exactly on his terms.
Too bad he came back

Attached: 09.jpg (2063x3131, 1.79M)

Attached: 10.jpg (2063x3131, 1.62M)

I lost the threads when the Brood crashed in Arizona and was fucking shit up. which isn't far before this.

i'm months behind on X-Men Gold because i'm so mad about Kitty/Colossus. I'm behind on X-Men Blue because it's boring. Bunn's Magneto is great though, i want that over O5 bullshit

what nah Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Outback Era, all rules

Attached: 11.jpg (2063x3131, 1.55M)

I think Extreme X-Men is readable, but I can't stand Sage. Also, the superpower of Sage is pretty much the same one of the Savage Land mutate Brain Child as it was shown in the 60s with Neal Adams art. Just as a hot woman. Claremont wasnt very creative with powers or codenames.

Attached: 12.jpg (2063x3131, 1.46M)

This mugga gets me. Outback era über alles.

Shit, off to a good start already hah.

Attached: 13.jpg (2063x3131, 1.49M)

Attached: 14.jpg (2063x3131, 1.83M)

Attached: 15.jpg (2063x3131, 1.68M)

ok I def remember reading Maddy finding out about Jean on the Marauders computers. but that had to be before this because i didn't get to inferno.

Attached: 16.jpg (2063x3131, 1.59M)

Yeah, it was before this.

Attached: 17.jpg (2063x3131, 1.4M)

idk, I like it through till probably outback era. Seige Perilous was a really stupid place to go with the story though

Attached: 18.jpg (2063x3131, 1.55M)

>Too bad he came back
X-treme was enjoyable if not comparable to his old stuff. I heard great things about his Nightcrawler mini

yeah the "problem" with like Fall of the Mutants on til like Jim Lee #1? is that there's not much of a status quo? things kinda got wrote into a corner

Attached: 19.jpg (2063x3131, 1.44M)

How is this Psylocke so good

desu I'm mostly talking about his second Uncanny run and Forever.
Nightcrawler was okay.

Attached: 20.jpg (2063x3131, 1.06M)

Attached: 21.jpg (2063x3131, 1.37M)

so this baby being Cable was a reveal/twist right?

And thassit for today, next time; X-Terminators! See ya then!

Attached: 22.jpg (2063x3131, 1.32M)

maddie no!!

fucks his brothers wife and sleeps like a baby afterwards. mmmmh

It started to go downhill after mutant massacre for me. Betsy joining the team at the end of the issue where she's facing down Sabretooth in the mansion is my personal jumping off point. I do like the second brood and genosha arcs though.

Thank you for returning X-user. I truly missed you and your glorious mega. You are a fucking great for doing this, doesn't matter how long it takes you, if you manage to storytime everything you are a god amoungest anons.

Also, what are your thoughts on Mr Sinister. Do you think that Claremont should have gone for his original idea and had Mr Sinister be the Bates to Scott's Miracleman? Or do you like the London gentlemen scientist?

Nightcrawler was meh, but the tie in issue with Death of Wolverine was nice as it was just Kurt reflecting on the death of one of his best friends

The only part that's kind of fucked is him and Rachel talking about Logan being with Jean in the afterlife

Not X-user

I think the child projection idea would have been a neat reveal, but rob the character of much longevity. I much prefer the Victorian geneticist route they went with him.

I think the best Sinister has been seen from the 2000s on (although he has been over used and badly, recently)

Dad Sinister of AoA was quite cool too

I am a bit of the opposite side of the spectrum. I kinda like the whole idea of Sinister being the projection of this young kid who was infatuated with his friend and didn't want to be seperated from him.

I mean, the gentlemen idea is fun, but I feel like the kid thing makes a bit more sense narratively and gives it more depth. Also adds Mr Sinister to the long list of people obessed with Scott. Seriously, what is it about Scott and yanderes. Maddie, Jean, the Phoenix and Emma.

It's nice to see this back. I miss good (for a given value of good) X-Men comics or ones that at least seemed like they had some level of imagination put into them even if that imagination was dedicated to pushing editorial ideas as the '90s wore on.

Never understood why Inferno gets so much hate. Got a bit over the top with all the scott/jean/maddie drama but The New Mutants and X-Terminators tie-ins were great. And the whole event was so sexually charged it it was hilarious..

Attached: X-Men - Inferno HC (2009) - Page 107.jpg (1440x2163, 490K)

more retcon/twist, but yeah. Wasn't established until ~1993 I believe.

I've like your storytimes X-user and can help out if you even need it. I have practically every X-book on my hardrive, so if you don't feel like posting I can continue the story. Just let me know.

What was the point of this scene BTW? Claremont setting something up that he was forced to drop when Harras forced him to do Inferno? Claremont being a shit towards Polaris because he doesn't like the character? Or just setting up a plot point so as to explain why Lorna doesn't rejoin the team one Sinister and the Marauders are defeated?

hot

No clue.

Ironically, a lot of Claremont fags have over-thought this scene in relations to whatever the fuck Claremont originally planned for Lorna before the 1991 relaunch forced him to abort his plans. Some have speculated/head-cannoned that Malice and Lorna were actually twins, hence why Malice inadvertedly ended up merged with Lorna (Malice was like Cassandra Nova, a psychic energy "twin" born with full adult intelligence that escaped from Lorna's parents at birth)

Also, even though Sinester outright states he was stroking Malice's ego about her being "important" to keep her in line, some have speculated that Polaris' empath powers (where she gets stronger at the expense of everyone around her act violent and crazy) were not part of a nebulous "power swap" thing Lorna later falls prey to but Zaladane fucking with their genetics to unlock each siblings' full power: in this case, Zaladane getting her secondary mutation magnetic powers unlocked and Polaris getting her strenght/hate plague empath powers unlocked at the expense of temporarily losing access to her magnetic powers. Also, the notion that Lorna's super strength/hate plague might have been her TRUE mutant powers, and that Mesmero simply activated the latent magnetic powers and that the Magneto robot from #49-52 was a Sinister created imposture, designed to activate Lorna's powers (but getting the wrong ones activated due to Mesmero's meddling) and that Sinister had similar plans to that of the Shadow King to use Lorna to mindfuck the planet and gain access to the realm of dreams.

To be fair, he wasn't going to be attracted to Scott for long. The plan was that Sinister would remake himself as Gambit and instead fixate on Storm ala Terra/Beast Boy as far as joining the X-Men rather than fight in the king of the evil mutant hill "mutant war" storyline.

Oh no, I was finally ready to quit this storytime for good.

This all sounds insane.

>I dont really like much of the Claremont run from Mutant Massacre on to be honest.
Yeah I feel the same. Once the cross-over mania begins the book starts declining in quality. Claremont was still a competent writer so he managed to make some enjoyable stories.

Ah, Gambit... honestly, they should have gone with that. The current direction of his character makes no sense what so ever.

Yooo nice to see you back

ooooh. thanks op!