Why did australia give up gun rights over a mass shooter in the 90s?

Why did australia give up gun rights over a mass shooter in the 90s?

as an american, I just can't understand

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com.au/australias-ex-pm-changed-gun-laws-2015-10
abc.net.au/news/2016-10-19/what-is-the-adler-shotgun-five-things-you-need-to-know/7945316
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was like that in the UK as well. Let retard people buy guns, expect a mass shooting, blame guns on media 24/7 for 2 months in a row and then the merchants in the congress will do their job.

Fear used to manipulate people into hasty actions like voting rights away.

In America, over half of people own guns.

In Australia, even before the mass shooting, the number was close to 10%.

Furthermore, the vast majority of gun owners pre-ban were farmers, hhunters aand target shooters. There was never an active self-defence focused gun culture as in the USA. We also lacked a central, unified advocacy force for firearm rights a-la the NRA.

Combine with a total lack of constitutional guarantees and the fact that this was just the latest in a series of major massacres, and you can see why things happened the way they did.

our american revolution is heavily built into our culture and australians don't have that, they just do whatever they're told but we all have a boner for freedom and liberty in america

>voting rights away
>implying

The political establishment forced through the new gun laws without a public vote. Both major parties voted for the reforms. Our politicians also don't have to go through a primary process.

Mass hysteria

We never had a gun culture here like you fellas do

I personally like guns though, they're easy enough to get your hands on if you're an upstanding citizen and have a good reason to own one

Most people are painfully uneducated about guns. They think if our gun ownership rate was like the USA we would have a similar level of crime (i.e. they are unaware of the nigger problem). People refuse to acknowledge that almost all the gun crime in Australia is committed by bikies and Lebanese gang members and that registered gun owners do not commit gun crimes.

Their descendants of prisoners! In normal places, we can appreciate all the fascinating potential for going for the high score by other means.

Like, some bro tier sikhs snagged down an air india flight with a bomb, the number of points was huge, man! Of course, jets are a fucking score goldmine, this one Egyptian who never managed to get beyond being a co-pilot managed to do the same without even any explosives.

Also, trucks. Nice. Very nice! I knew cars were big all along, I wasn't expecting to see what a fucking big rig could do, and so soon!

Simple fire has so much potential.

Swords are kinda limited, but it's possible to get a serious score with one, and that makes you a huge badass. The catch is, you gotta be a badass.

One more thing.

Under our constitution, gun law is a state-level issue, not a federal issue. However, after the massacre, the federal government was able to convince all the states to pass similar gun law reforms, virtually unifying the country's laws between states.

A couple of states, most notably Queensland, didn't want to changevtheir gun laws. But the Prime Minister threatened them, said that if they didn't fo it, that he'd hold an immediate constitutional referendum to make gun law a federal issue (which, guven the level of hysteria at the time, would have worked). The Queenslanders, knowing that winding back the laws at the federal level at a later point would be infinitely more difficult than chipping away at them quietly at the state level, relented.

Nice country

Even we didn't really change any laws after Breivik, even if it was suggested. People don't really care, because we have so little gun crime overall.

>The Queenslanders, knowing that winding back the laws at the federal level at a later point would be infinitely more difficult than chipping away at them quietly at the state level, relented.
Source for this? I'm not too familiar with Australian gun politics, only thing I've read about them was a preview of some lefty's book on gun control history there.

Port Arthur was a hoax, like Dunblane and Sandy Hook.

businessinsider.com.au/australias-ex-pm-changed-gun-laws-2015-10

This. This type of event is talked about by the fake news that is the mainstream media as though it was normal. It is actually incredibly rare. It pretty much only happens when a government wants it to.

Bullshit. If that were true, Sandy Hook would have happened in 2009, back when Obama had plenty of political capital and a Democratic supermajority in the Senate (and majority in the House).

Mass shootings are, statistically speaking, rare events. But I honestly don't think most of them are staged. They're just bad things that happen that politicians are good at cynically taking advantage of.

they don't necessarily have to be staged to be fake

when trump takes away your guns 5.5 years in you will get it...

You wouldn't say that if you were here. Obama got in power. Don't know how well organized he was, he seems pretty inept. He later announced an interest in gun control. We were then fucking bombarded by every level of media that guns are bad. Children's shows, everything. Then a rash of mass killings once a week for one year. They never happen, suddenly they are happening once a week. They stopped after several pushes for news laws failed and the people refused to be NUDGED by all the mass killings that always just happened to involve a government employee.
I am describing what happened and you are demanding that criminals be perfectly logical. If they were that smart, they wouldn't be criminals.
Obama's whole reign has been him pushing for Stalinism, getting rejected (even by his own party), and "settling" for an incremenral victory. Maybe that's not a mistake.

>Bataclan happens
>our retarded (unelected) government enacts stupid shit such as magazine limitations and 7.62x39 becoming de facto illegal for hunting
Nice, epic, I like it.

I forgot, magazine limitations that also apply to guns with internal magazines.

That's what they did with knifes a decade or so ago, the media went full retard with knife crime for weeks on end, resulted in stricter laws and eBay banning all sales of custom knifes as well as bushcraft/survival knifes, all except kitchen knifes - the no1 knife used in knife crime, can still buy them on ebay not a problem. Fucking pissed off about it because I have a couple of untouched ray mears woodlore knifes worth hundreds each, eBay was the best place to sell.

Port Arthur was staged.
The 'shooter' wasn't Bryant, it was a pair of shooters. One of whom is suspected to be an ex SASR- if this is true this is the most disgusting and disturbing thing of all. As it was literally a case of the Fed Government turning it's on military on innocent civilians for a political agenda.
The fact this took place in Tasmania was no coincidence.

the biggest hot button issue now in the gubment is the debate on the importation restriction on the adler A110 lever action shotgun. a gun with a magazine capacity of 2 more than current pump action shotguns currently available to purchase.

abc.net.au/news/2016-10-19/what-is-the-adler-shotgun-five-things-you-need-to-know/7945316

Couple of friends go hunting regularly and most people I know have at least fired a .22 with that one rural family friend they saw 6 or so years ago with. Knew this ice fuck guy who every single day drives around with a loaded rifle between his front seats. Guns are a lot more prevalent than some might think, especially so in underworld circles.