Why are modern career options so shifty? Is it designed this way?

Why are modern career options so shifty? Is it designed this way?

>need a degree
>75% of liberal arts shouldn't even exist
>STEM is all sperg shit like muh programming or muh EE

STEM = careers, actual jobs, making an actual difference
liberal arts = could I get that with a side of fries?

I JUST WANT A GOD DAMN WIFE, A GOD DAMN SMALL HOME, AND A GOD DAMN JOB THAT'LL PAY FOR BOTH.

Do you know how I made money as a kid? I dug through trash cans for aluminum cans. At the time, you could get 52 cents a pound for aluminum cans so for spare change (spare money as a kid), I would dig through trash to take up aluminum cans. So all you fucking idiots who are trying to tell me what I can or can't talk about: I've dug through trash cans as a kid for spare money. I've spent five years fighting a false rape accusation and you know what? I got my law license. I made it through. I got the charges dismissed. My record expunged.

You are nothing to me. You are little, pussy fucking worms.

I lmao at people who sit at home and plan about this shit.

Go get a degree in something that interests you and let things fall in place naturally. Spergs who try plan everything are the people who can never see an opportunity that they didn't plan for.

Iktfb

>majoring in Math
>applied to 30+ internships
>0 offers

Have a 4.00 gpa and all. Maybe I'll go to Grad School I guess.

What the sheepfucker is saying.

OP, things will naturally fall into place and you'll find your passion. I used to be lost like a lot of people but then I steadily fell in love with healthcare and now I'm working in the industry as an analyst. Just got news that I got promoted. Don't know how much my salary is going to increase, but I'm happy, and I have a clear path forward in an industry I love and I'm passionate about.

>CS major
>3.7 GPA
>applied to a dozen internships
>quickly accepted internship with top tech company
>still getting called by recruiters to interview

Feels good

STEM is straight up autism, no one cares about le $1mil starting when you're a sperg working for some frat bro manager

Fucking how

Because the job market is oversaturated
Everyone has a college degree and a degree no longer tells an employer that you are qualified.

same. just acceptdd a six figure offer in bay area area

>Six figure offer in bay area

Its the equivalent of making 45k in the midwest considering how fucking expensive everything is

college is big business. they don't actually care if you get a degree that's useful. their whole plan is to keep you in as long as possible. that's why a degree in journalism, for example, will have you taking extra hours in science and math for no reason what so fucking ever.

they let you in and keep you there until you've accumulated enough debt to where the credit agencies and the universities can leach off of you for decades.

>25
>work as a forklift driver
>tfw too old to find a "real" career now

Attend a military academy.

just go into a trade then user. Plumbing, electrical, sheet metal work, welding, etc. If you man up you can make some serious money.

>Piano major
>got every job I've applied for

Plan on apprenticing as a tuner for steady money and taking students for even more extra cash. Liberal arts were good to me, I guess.

>tfw medfag
Feels great man

This
The living in the city meme is literally the only thing that convinces people in my generation that living expenses are way too high in cities. This crazy thing exists though where instead of living in a city you live in a mid to small sized town where a $9.00 an hour minimum wage will absolutely support you if your life is so sad that $9.00 an hour is your end all career goal. I am getting out of Seattle as soon as I have an engineering degree and moving to some rural area where I can become a millionaire in less than 10 years by saving money.

Seattle raising the entire minimum wage of Washington state to $13.50 is ridiculous. Its fine in Seattle (besides fast food prices, I recently had to pay $12 for a footlong at subway), but there is absolutely no reason that minimum wage needs to be higher than the industry standard starting wage for social services in the middle of the farmlands (which is greater than 75% of the state).

All this will do is cause small business owners to only employ their direct family who they don't have to pay, and this will lead to less jobs overall.

This.

Let me share my experience, OP. I took international relations because I planned to join the diplomatic service. Although it wasn't what I wanted. Art is my vocation.

I was jobless and doing nigger jobs after graduation for a loooong time and I was in a big depression that I didn't follow my dreams just for money.

What did I do? Accepted my error and instead of wasting time colplaining I learned to make jewelry, to work with rocks and minerals, book making, etc. And step by step I started my business. I have a jewelry store now where I apply all my knowledge. I'm now also doing paintings. I live very well economically and happy and in peace. And I'm my own boss (well, my wife too). And I feel realized, which is the most important.

Dodged a big bullet by not joining the diplomacy (stress, having comunications surveilled, target for express kidnappings, shitty upper class enviroment, etc).

I mean, it's OK and important to think about your future, but don't get blinded by the degree meme. Is not the only way to achieve something in life.

You can make all the money and fame you want, but if you aren't realized you'll feel like shit.

I realized my mistake at 28. I'm 33 now. So no, is not late.

$12 for the fast food equivalent of a fucking ham sandwich? Christ on a crutch you poor bastard. I would never pay $12 for a single sandwich from any fast food joint.

human resources and lack of unions

>have to apply for a job and go to an interview for an assignment in my Business Speech class
>apply to Fortune 500 company because why the fuck not
>get an email asking to interview within a week
>go to interview, think I bombed it
>call a call same day
>got the job
>tfw I accidentally landed an internship

Things have been going pretty well since.

You're not too old.

>t. cribabby

Fucking how,what's on your resume

he selected jew as his race

If this isnt a copypasta, what happened specifically with the rape accusation.
I want a story

you are way ahead of most people. Keep studying and think about how you may apply that in the real world. Get some research and coding projects going. GPA is like the least important thing, and not looked at after the first job.

>I JUST WANT A GOD DAMN WIFE, A GOD DAMN SMALL HOME, AND A GOD DAMN JOB THAT'LL PAY FOR BOTH.
It may be easier to build a time machine user.

>Engineers
>Buisness management
>Management
Thats not how engineering works dipshit. MOST,but not all, places work in small teams and the heads of the buildings/departments are people who have experience with engineering, not some useless business faggot. They are almost always engineers because they have to have an idea of what is going on so they don't fuck up you fucking faggot.

Mostly I read the job description and stuck the keywords they were looking for in my "skills" section.
Like the posting title was "Java Development Intern" and the description listed Java programming and some web development, so I specifically highlighted my experience and knowledge of Java and web design (HTML/CSS, JavaScript/jQuery).

Seriously. Just cater your resume to each posting. If you create 1 resume and send it to 100 people, you're just going to get 100 rejections.
Taking that Business Speech class was probably the best class I've taken in college. The shit I learned in there will probably serve my throughout my entire career.

>After a long day of working your land
>get washed up for dinner
>wife makes stew with everything you produced
>get the fire burning to warm up
>sit down together as the cold sets in

I think this will be my last christmas

>tfw you make boring corp software but want to make videogames

This is why I wished I lived in Feudal Europe. Sure, Feudalism might suck a little with it's strictly enforced social hierarchy and despotic rule, and you'd have you're life threatening sickness and diseases...on the other, you can literally go wherever you wanted, there was squatter's rights so you didn't need to worry about being homeless; and if you had a job (which is most likely farming) yo'd only have to work part of the year and have a huge chunk of it off to do whatever the fuck. And there was bargaining system that basically didn't allow Jewery to take place and corrupt the system. And this is how it's always supposed to be. Basically after the Industrial Revolution things changed for the worse.

Healthcare is where it's at

After high school I spent 3 years getting a Bachelors in Civil Engineering, fast tracked through and then spent 2 years with BP

I was laid off, pulled into a room, told me my entire department was downsized, and I had to pack up then and there.

I specialized in Structure, and I had limited job prospects in Alaska as there isn't a demand for structural CE, mostly transportation and geo

I was stuck with a mortgage and decided to bite the bullet and obtained my bachelors in nursing in 2.5 years

My starting salary was 80k as a nurse, working 40-50 hours per week

My starting salary with BP was 60k/year, but went up to 105k my 2nd year before we were cut.

I went back to school and got my PA-C and average 90-100k/year

No threat of losing my job

tl;dr I recommend healthcare, rad tech/nursing/PA/ or if you're driven- MD or DO / Pharmacy

This

I got those feels too.

What are all you faggots crying about? I walked into the factory when I was 18,gave the man a firm handshake, and now I make 21/hr with a pension and a 401k.

It was the only place that was open, and I was in a rush and didn't have time to go home and make dinner :(

City/state? When did you get hired?

ClArksville TN hired in 4/94. IAM local 1296

Mostly globalization. Good fair union manufacturing jobs did in fact exist in the past, but are mostly moved overseas. The few we have left require higher expertise. Most labor jobs in the U.S. are undervalued and often pay laughably low wages with no included health insurance. Millennials aren't fucking stupid; We know its not worth risking our health for $10/hr, especially after seeing so many adults on permenant "disability" which is why we refuse to do shitty labor jobs.

That's not not being stupid, that's just not willing to work hard, and that's why China is whooping our asses.

Also, healthcare/transportation/IT are virtually the only stable not technical STEM fields available. But they are all services, not producing goods. To help our country, we need to PRODUCE GOODS we can export, instead of overpriced healthcare and computer services. Its just not happening much anymore unfortunately.

t. user who has never worked in a manufacturing job

The amount of 50+ workers who are missing part of their finger or have serious back problems due to improper lifting are ridiculous.

Why do you think health and safety is SO stressed in these environments? Oh, you didn't, because you've never worked in one, hmm? I've seen tons of injuries here at Ford (working as a student, not a permanent job), and I've seen a ton of injuries at other jobs I've worked at. Yes, some of it is stupidity (one young guy I knew at a meat packaging plant had part of his finger cut off on two separate occasions because he couldn't keep his finger out of a meat grinder), but a lot of it is simply because the jobs involve serious physical labour and/or use of heavy machinery.

And what is your evidence that China is a good model to follow?

They pollute their cities, exploit their uneducated workers, corrupt their government, and blatantly steal foreign firms technologies. When robots become viable in all manufacturing in the next decade or two their competitive advantage will be fucking gone. Its already slowing.

Thanks for the story, my Argentinian friend, it was inspiring.

The fact that we owe them over 1.1 trillion dollars maybe? Or how about the fact that exploitable workers, corrupt government, and the ability to steal foreign technologies means that companies can crew an entire factory for what it costs to hire one employee in the US.

you must become free of the debt economy. retire early and do whatever you want.