What does /po/ think of climate change?

What does /po/ think of climate change?

youtube.com/watch?v=HxyeHGIpLjA

Other urls found in this thread:

climate.nasa.gov/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil_climate_change_controversy
wattsupwiththat.com/2016/09/20/carbon-credit-climate-scam-the-fraud-prosecutions-begin/
bbc.com/news/business-27530039
skepticalscience.com/What-1970s-science-said-about-global-cooling.html
science.sciencemag.org/content/289/5477/270
advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/11/e1501923.full
science.sciencemag.org/content/302/5651/1719
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n2/full/nclimate2876.html
nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19082.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n3/full/nclimate1784.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n10/full/nclimate1963.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v4/n11/full/nclimate2397.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n11/full/nclimate3110.html
pnas.org/content/106/38/16120.abstract?sid=e88a32fa-d470-486d-92ea-97bf18db30c9
pnas.org/content/97/4/1406.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac
pnas.org/content/106/Supplement_2/19729.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac
pnas.org/content/104/14/5743.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac
youtu.be/u4R-QPKiCfY
archive.defense.gov/pubs/150724-congressional-report-on-national-implications-of-climate-change.pdf?source=govdelivery
collective-evolution.com/2016/11/24/stephen-hawking-warns-we-only-have-1000-years-left-on-earth/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Real and we should do something about it.

I've yet to see evidence.

Seems like something the left pushes for more money/scarings.

NOT REAL

*PLUGS EARS*

LA LA LA LA

CAN'T HEAR YOU

CLIMATE IS THE SAME!

*THROWS SNOWBALL*

America needs to be punished for destroying our planet :( you drive too many cars! Get a bike today and save the enviroment!

Even if it is true, putting the government in charge of it would only make things worse.

In the long term, I am not too worried about life on Earth. This planet puts itself through far worse conditions all the time, and life flourishes regardless. Back when the temperature was +10 Celsius hotter and the carbon concentration was > 2000 ppm, we had dinosaurs the size of houses.

1) We don't know enough about it and what is driving it
2) It seems that whatever may be causing it global elites are trying to make shit loads of money off of it with Jew scheming

There is plenty or evidence from watching the glaciers and analysing different CO2 amounts inside the ice.

You are very foolish man for not educating yourself >;)

Lefts acts holier than though on this issue and feel like conservatives are ignoring science when they just question the legitimacy and alternative conflicting evidence like that the sun plays a larger effect on climate than people realize.

>xD fugg those ignorant conservatives lets just put a carbon tax so we get more money bc guberment is good isn't that right goy?

The Left offers no serious solution.

In 15 years the ice caps will have melted.
Hurricanes will become more frequent.
We're all gonna die, think of the children.

>15 years later

Oh we meant 50 years.

>50 years later

Oh we meant 100 years

>100 years later

Oh we meant 1000 year

You have yet to see the evidence because you don't seek it out.

climate.nasa.gov/

Is you don't know the basics, you might as well start here, Wikipedia also has some excellent and easy to read articles not only on climate change itself, but the scientific consensus, denial and skepticism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

If you're looking for scientific abstracts and actual scientific papers on climate change, you can find plenty through Nature, Science, and PNAS (academic journals).

There is so much ignorance on places like Sup Forums, which is not surprising, most people here aren't educated, and even if they are, they aren't educated in science fields. The best you can get is some shitty infographics that are posted again and again with no citations.

They need trees to make their crafts. Im sure they dont like the idea of massive deforestation

No clue. You should ask them. They'll probably fold up a crane for you.

In the short term, I remain unconvinced. If anything, the past cycles indicate we will be heading into a new glacial period. This is a much, much graver threat to our life than hotter temperatures because nothing will be able to grow.

I think the climate change models have become so politicized that I am unable to make heads or tails of what is true and what is not.

I don't.

Got a burning barrel on my farm and this weekend along I burned:

*2 full oil changes from my cars (Saddam'ed that shit)
*cardboard boxes
*soda bottles, plastic
*a go kart tire
*food wrappers, junk mail and newspaper
*a bunch of fired plastic shotshells

Don't these Science Deniers know that Climate is stagnant?

We're so smart because we have FAITH.

HAIL SCIENCE!

I think whatever Molyneux thinks

A money laundering scheme.

>THE TEMPERATURE WILL RISE AGAIN!

You lost. The world has moved on.

Yes yes, those pesky global elites are trying to confuse everyone with their hordes of pesky peer-reviewed scientific researchers across the globe, many independently affiliated.

These nameless boogeymen apparently have such massive reach, it's truly a conspiracy to make the Earth a better place to live. After all, we only have one single planet that we know of that is capable of being inhabited by man (inb4 Mars meme), let's just destroy our only home for oil profits.

Oh, those petroleum companies by the way? Oh they aren't part of the global elites, they and their trillion dollar interest have nothing to do with funding climate denialism / skepticism! They're perfectly innocent! They just want to give us cheap energy, that's their only motivation. It's not like they haven't funded climate change denialism for decades, through conservative "think tanks" that spread denialism. Nope, they are the good guys in this situation.

>I am unable to make heads or tails of what is true and what is not.

WHICH MAKES YOU AN IDIOT

Not as drastic as the left plays it, but I do think it is changing. If anything, i cant wait for the global cooling to come. I will never stop driving my hummer.

Global cooling was the original meme they used actually

Don't worry goys, it's merely a striking (((coincidence))) that companies like Exxonmobile have funded climate change denial for almost 50 years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil_climate_change_controversy

You're on Sup Forums, you know what our opinion is.

We've seen the media turned into a political weapon. Remember those scientific polls that claimed Clinton was going to win?

We've seen the education system turned into a political weapon. Performance is a flat line despite all the money we pump in.

Science can also be turned into a political weapon. The way climate change is discussed is remarkably similar to how the left discusses everything else: emotion, lying, witch-hunting, etc...

I see a huge biomass loss, empty oceans, barren landmass, in the next couple hundred years. Its just not affordable to go green with our culture. Places like Africa, Middle East, India, will be totally fucked when the climate collapses for rural farming. First world could do pretty good with automated indoor farming, a lot of money is going into that where I live now. If we don't share these advances with the third world hordes I could easily see huge deadly wars erupting over what little resources we have left.

fpbp

real and one of the few things im not redpilled on

I thought it was global warming. All the ice caps will melt by 2015. Temperatures would reach an all time high and burn the planet over.

You sound like a massive, blue-pilled, leftist faggot. You wouldn't happen to be from Re__it would you?

Of course "peer reviewed scientific research" is going to say it's real, how the fuck do you think they get more funding for it?

How can you deny that global elites didn't come up with carbon credits for white nations only so they could skim money off the top much like UNICEF and other UN programs?

Where did I say anything about petroleum companies at all?

wattsupwiththat.com/2016/09/20/carbon-credit-climate-scam-the-fraud-prosecutions-begin/

bbc.com/news/business-27530039

Warm climate and high CO2 levels are extremely conducive to plant growth. Plants are basically 40% carbon; we've got all this bio-available CO2 gas floating around we should be doing something productive with.

Global warming was attempt 2

skepticalscience.com/What-1970s-science-said-about-global-cooling.html

Because I've yet to see any evidence that matches predictions at any point in the last 20 years. Yes, global temperature and weather can change, but I've yet to see it proven that human CO2 production has had a significant effect on that cycle.

And they've spent the last 20 years using those inaccurate predictions to drum up donations and demonize anyone who's skeptical.

Climate change has only been politicized because of denialism spread by the right, by people like Senator James Inhofe, the Koch Brothers, and other libertarian / conservative think tanks directly funded by the petroleum industry to politicize a scientific issue. It's so ironic how you faggots spread shit about "MUH POLITICALIZATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE" when the right has been doing this shit for DECADES. You seem to forget that the entire reason there is so much push back from scientists with climate science education is due to what conservatives have done by spreading misinformation.

The science behind anthropogenic climate change is peer-reviewed and multi-national.

There is not a SINGLE credible scientific body in existence that denies the consensus on climate change being caused by human activity. Not a single one. Even AAPG, the last organization to hold out has a non-committal position in which they admit that humans are causing it.

Just be honest, the only reason you are against the consensus is because it's fun to be a contrarian.

Well, you should notice that the policies don't match the predictions at all. Carbon credits and the Paris Climate Deal do fucking jack shit.

Real, not man made though, sweet fuck all that can be done about it.

Okay, where are you on the climate change scale? Some models predict we're all going to be underwater in 30 years, some predict we won't notice anything significant for 500 years.

Nah buddy, I've been here since 2005, far longer than you Trump newfaggots.

You talk about global elites while completely ignoring people like the Koch Brothers, it's hilarious. The petroleum industry is one of the largest industries in the world, for you to sit there and pretend like there's some invisible boogeyman pushing climate change, while completely ignoring the absolute power these petroleum companies yield on our economies, but the flow of information itself, is completely ignorant.

There's not a single study that's accurately predicted climate change or proven that humans are a significant factor in that.

The models are just that, models. They are the BEST explanations and interpretations of the data that is collected. They are not set in stone, and there is debate on the models themselves, as to how rapid sea level rise will be, how much ice will melt, how long it will last, etc. There are so many variables that come into climate change, because it is a global, complex issue.

The changes that are occurring now are caused by human activity, denying this is simply ignorance. There is plenty of room for debate and skepticism with the climate models themselves, but to pretend that the warming trend is not occurring, or that there won't be any consequences to human civilization is absurd.

Do I seriously need to keep doing this bullshit? Same arguments every single fucking day.

science.sciencemag.org/content/289/5477/270
advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/11/e1501923.full
science.sciencemag.org/content/302/5651/1719
science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6313/aaf7671
science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6311/465
science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6293/1517
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n2/full/nclimate2876.html
nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19082.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n3/full/nclimate1784.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n10/full/nclimate1963.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v4/n11/full/nclimate2397.html
nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n11/full/nclimate3110.html
pnas.org/content/106/38/16120.abstract?sid=e88a32fa-d470-486d-92ea-97bf18db30c9
pnas.org/content/97/4/1406.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac
pnas.org/content/106/Supplement_2/19729.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac
pnas.org/content/104/14/5743.abstract?sid=39886508-9022-4ac9-a270-9bb8f2c84dac

Go ahead, I know you won't read a single one of these abstracts, so whatever.

>larping as an oldfag
>appeal to authority
>Koch Brothers

Shameful nigga, get your ass back to DailyKos

You're wasting your time with these people, dude.

People never have real arguments on Sup Forums, they just fling shit at each other for a couple dozen posts and by the time somebody who actually knows what they're talking about shows up, the thread's about to die, to be replaced by an identical one fifteen minutes later. Cycle begins anew.

>Scientists predicting temperature in 50 years time
>Can't accurately predict rain tomorrow.

I have yet to see a single cost-benefit analysis of combating global warming, so I'm unconvinced that it's worth the effort. Developed nations can choke their emissions and their economies as a result, and perhaps developing nations as well, but it has to be justified by the decrease that will result in the rate at which the temperature will increase, and I haven't seen the evidence for this.

I've been here since 2005 as well. Long before the cancer known as chanology. What does that have to do with this argument?

Again, you sound like a massive, blue-pilled, leftist faggot. Now I'm 90% sure you've never been to Sup Forums before today and you're part of the concerted effort from plebbit to instill leftist faggotry here.

it's real. the problem is that i don't care. tell china and other sea nations to stop. they won't. so what you want is for us is to commit economic suicide while all the industry goes over to asia and they continue to pollute the shit out of everything. you can see china's smog from space and thy dump thousands of tons of plastic into the ocean. so all these people wanting to dismantle our industry can go eat a dick. i'll keep denying it just because that seems to make them especially angry

Well, I agree that climate does change, that humans can effect it, and that we are making things warmer. I think everyone on Sup Forums agrees with this as well.

I am really sour about this subject because the only climate change arguments I get into IRL is with lunatic leftists who think the world will end in 20 to 30 years.

My hero.

What effect do all of these chemtrails have on the weather?

youtu.be/u4R-QPKiCfY

Don't fall for any "global threat" excuse to bring in the Jew World Order.

1. Man made climate change is not real/serious
2. If it is real, I don't care
3. I accept the long term consequences of not caring if it is real

>Coral reefs estimated to die in 100 years
>Spray eco money canon at problem
>Reefs clean and protected
>Reefs die immediately
>Wildlife moves to junk piles

Shit is all for money.

Cost benefit? I don't know if this exactly fits that, but it is a very recent analysis by the DoD on climate change.

The main cost of climate change is due to sea level rise causing many coastal regions to become inhaitable in the coming decades / centuries. Considering 70%+ of our civilization is based on the current coastline, this is more than enough cause for concern, even at modest models for sea level rise, coastal cities are threatened. NYC, Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. These are just a few cities to name a few in the US alone that are threatened by even smaller amounts of sea level rise.
That's only one such impact as well, there are plenty of others such as resource scarcity, mass migrations and crop failures leading to food scarcity, especially in the developing world.

archive.defense.gov/pubs/150724-congressional-report-on-national-implications-of-climate-change.pdf?source=govdelivery

Believe whatever you want, I don't have to prove shit to you.

I have no problems debating the impacts of climate change, because it truly is up for debate. However, there are many people out there who deny that man can change the climate, many are conservatives that argue that man is incapable because only God can do such a thing. There is plenty of that level of ignorance to go around, look at people like James Inhofe for example. That's the same guy who brought a snowball into congress last year.

How about the limit of CO2 to absorb energy?

How about the failure of all predictions in terms of upper atmospheric warming?

What about it being cheaper to remediate any damage rather than trying to prevent it?

What if it's a net benefit?

What if we standard of living would be higher without action that with action?

climate change is fake news.

We should work on modernizing nuclear power in order to combat it. Even if you don't think climate change is real we will still one day run out of fossil fuels to burn so we should start working on alternative energy sooner rather than later.

It takes a lot of money to outspend the US government on 'scientific' studies when they have their sights set on your money.

Trying to imply that either the government or the corporation are more correct than the either shows how biased you are.

But WHEN is this going to happen? What is the timescale? I've NEVER been able to get a clear answer on this. Popular science and leftists tell me we're going to die in 30 years. I'm not a scientist so I can't comprehend the journals and articles either.

That doesn't answer the question.

Reducing CO2 emissions by X amount will have the following immediate effect on the economy, while not doing so will have the long-term effect on the economy.

And then doing this with every possible level, which is what should happen when emissions reductions are proposed, which usually don't accompany analyses as to how they would affect the economy, or by how much they should slow the increase in temperature.

That is precisely what I would want and nothing less would permit me to support emissions reductions.

According to Stephen Hawking, there's only a thousand years left. Your descendants won't see the year 3000.

collective-evolution.com/2016/11/24/stephen-hawking-warns-we-only-have-1000-years-left-on-earth/

they probably don't know which is why. they think there's a very real possibility that the melting of the permafrost in places like siberia could release a catastrophic amount of methane into the atmosphere which effectively wipes us all out

>Many of your links require money
>One paper is about data collection
>Another is an old global warming paper from 1999
>Some of them don't even gloss over human input, just effects

I don't think you even read any of the links you posted.

Climate change isn't a sudden event, you're not going to just wake up one day and everything is different. The reason it is so hard for people to accept is because this is happening over the course of their lifetime. Most of us will die long before the larger impacts like sea level rise really begin to threaten coastal areas, or before the ice sheets begin melting much more rapidly, bringing cold water into the Atlantic and fucking up the gulf stream. The only thing we can do is continue to study the climate, collect data and make better projections in order to mitigate the costs and damage. This is the problem I am having with Trump, he wants to further slash the earth science division of NASA's budget, and wants to appoint people to government positions who deny the consensus on climate change.

I agree completely, I believe nuclear is the key to solving climate change, at least in developed countries. The problem is that there is so much bullshit and misinformation about nuclear power, and government funding simply isn't there, especially for R&D into new nuclear technologies that don't benefit the military.

We had a change, decades ago, to invest in thorium research, but it was cut short because it couldn't be used to make nuclear weapons.

meteors, tunguska explosions, irradiating the ocean, nukes in the atmosphere, ice ages, pole shifts, solar flares, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, global floods and exploding super volcanoes cant kill all life on earth.

But your styrofoam cup will you fucking white male. AND SOON!

that shit that trump says sounds reasonable at least.

China is the few places that doesn't give a fuck about green production.

>Do what I tell you to do
>or else the atmosphere turns into poisonous farts.
Sounds like scaremongering to me.
By the way whatever happened to the acid rain that's supposed to be wiping out humanity 30 years away from the 80s?

>there's only a thousand years left.

If that is true, than this just turns into a long term engineering problem. We already know how to drop global temperatures for several years; look at the Mount Pinatubo eruption.

Also, oil is going to run out in another 100 or 200 years either way, right?

Nuclear power IS the key to clean energy. Try explaining that to environmentalists.

>Also, oil is going to run out in another 100 or 200 years either way, right?
And in 80 years, you and I will be dead.

B-but they'll explode and kill people.

I have 2 people at the place I work that were talking about this the other day. Saying that nuclear power plants were dangerous because they'll irradiate everything or explode like nuclear bombs.

If it's long term stuff that spans human lifetimes, wouldn't it be more economical to adapt to changes?

That's just fucking retarded.

I think the popularity of The Simpsons 2 decades ago has really halted the progress of nuclear power research and doomed the human race.

idgaf
this shit species of ours deserves to be wiped out.

Link dumping needs to be a bannable offensive,its always at least 90% bullshit but the people doing it always think they "won" the argument.

Lord Monckton. Get shit on.

At least we can fuck dogs now tho