We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator

>"The whole idea from the start was to build a site that could kind of infiltrate the echo chambers of the alt-right, publish blatantly or fictional stories and then be able to publicly denounce those stories and point out the fact that they were fiction," Coler says.

>Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

>"The people wanted to hear this," he says. "So all it took was to write that story. Everything about it was fictional: the town, the people, the sheriff, the FBI guy. And then ... our social media guys kind of go out and do a little dropping it throughout Trump groups and Trump forums and boy it spread like wildfire."

>And as the stories spread, Coler makes money from the ads on his websites. He wouldn't give exact figures, but he says stories about other fake-news proprietors making between $10,000 and $30,000 a month apply to him.

npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/11/23/503146770/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

How do Drumpfkins feel knowing people are profiting off your gullibility?

What was the story?

How does it feel having Trump as president?

Based Britbro

Read the article maybe.

> reading fake news

>Capitalist free market at work

You know, even when you lefties try to prove us wrong, you still prove us Right.

They list two, neither particularly relevant.

>"FBI Agent Suspected In Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide."
>Customers in Colorado marijuana shops were using food stamps to buy pot

>Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

THE REAL FAKE NEWS IS REAL GUIZ

hang on, so their goal is to set themselves as a credible news site, and then publish material designed to instigate hatred? How does this help their cause?

>Make news site that looks credible
>"Hey Drumpftards! Look at this (fake)news article that totally affirms all of your biases!"
months later....
>"How could Trump have possibly become president!?!?!"

>tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.
cnn already cornered the market

they get to stand around and feel superior

They're both meant to be examples more than anything, but I distinctly remember the first one was shared on Sup Forums

On my Snapchat, there was a Buzzfeed article stating Aliens were real.

Liberals would have taken the bait on his stories if he had made relentless calls for understanding, acceptance, kindness, tolerance and peace.

Use all of those buzzwords in a fake opinion/story about Muslim violence and they left will not question to deeply. It confirms what they already believe. I.E. Muslims are good people who are the victims of white male Imperialism and would be all but perfect if they had never encountered white males.

Use buzz words like white male, supremacy, culture of fear, hatred, intolerance, hate speech in a story about white male on non white violence and again they left will not question too deeply.

It confirms what they already believe. I.E. White males are the problem with the world and need to be broken or killed off.

>mfw this is actually a fake story designed to discredit liberals who feel smug about not being gullible and share it
meta

Oh wow educated people can identify false news and retards who either think they are incredibly smart special snowflakes or are proud of being idiots can't bit surprise.

>Yeah you're just too smart for us libs, we try to fool you but we just can't do it. We could never fool someone as smart as you guys! I mean your own bodies can't even fool you into believing what gender you are so what chance do we stand?

>its okay when Sup Forums does it, because liberals would have done it too

There is no such thing as "fake news"; there are satire sites, and there are news stories that turn out to be partially or wholly false, for instance, any reports of "hands up, don't shoot" in the mainstream media. Every day I see headlines and stories in the MSM that are clearly meant to manipulate the public perception, and this is what "fake news" means. Are there websites set up solely in order to make up false news stories from whole cloth? I'd like to see one.

Fake news is not a 1st Amendment issue. It's electioneering bordering on terrorism.

Trump was right. We need to change our libel / slander laws in the US. You have a right to say what you want until it materially affects my life.

>You have a right to say what you want until it materially affects my life
That's what defamation and slander are already about, faggot

>you base your company on the color blue
>influential person says they hate the color blue
>your company loses business - you lose money
>your life has been materially affected
Should it be illegal for that person to say he doesn't like blue?

>You have a right to say what you want until it materially affects my life.

Great principle, genius. If you're an ex-employee of mine I fire for stealing from the till, and I tell your new employer about it, it's going to materially affect your life. Are you telling me it should be illegal?

Yeah, the liberals totally didn't buy into every lie told to them about Trump, mindlessly regurgitating the lines pounded into them by CNN anchors and NYT headlines. They also haven't been buying into all of the lies surrounding BLM, or the deliberately deceptive wording around violence at Trump rallies. And that Russian conspiracy theory with absolutely zero evidence surrounding it apparently holds more water with them than leaked emails and undercover camera reports.

Can you guess why they believed the MSM narratives over solid evidence? Because they wanted their biases confirmed.

>Are there websites set up solely in order to make up false news stories from whole cloth?

If you actually read the article you would see that's exactly what it's about.

>It appeared on a site that had the look and feel of a local newspaper. Denverguardian.com even had the local weather. But it had only one news story — the fake one.
>Everything about it was fictional: the town, the people, the sheriff, the FBI guy.

fake news is pretty much just reading past the headline on "mainstream news"

Yeah, but if you look at the website in question, the "Denver Guardian" you can't believe a single person ever took it seriously, or that it received anywhere near the traffic it claims. It's a default Wordpress template.

nothing new here

Yep, deliberately spreading misinformation is not covered by the first amendment.

There's no way that the MSM can play dumb on this, either. When complete normalfags appear to become more informed than professional journalists who get paid to be informed, you know that you're dealing with dishonesty, not incompetence.

The headline is often the most dishonest part of the article.

You'd be surprised how stupid people are, just because you can't fathom that people would take it seriously doesn't mean they didn't. The article also mentioned how much it was shared on normiebook. The headline isn't the sort of absurdist satire news people would share because it's "funny."

>NPR
>link isn't archived

holy fuck hownew.ru

the correct response is no one gives a shit about your god damn clickbait bullshit, kill yourself

fox news, we make shit up
you decide if it's true

Maybe it's just failed satire. But whatever the intention, you think the genuine news industry and virtuous journalists would welcome anything that prompts people to stop and analyze what they're reading instead of accepting it uncritically. But they are complaining that "fake news" is just confusing people and counterfeiting the misrepresentation of the truth that goes on every day in the mainstream media.

>be this Coler guy
>make 10-30k a month from fake news
>"Hmm, you know what? I make too much money off this stuff."
>go on NPR and whistleblow about your shady business model
yea this all makes perfect sense

>fake news for liberals doesn't work
>literally thousands of fake stories days after the election
No, liberals like to hold up specific instances proving their narrative right and conservatives like to hold up any and every instance of distrusting the government

Of course not. They don't need freelancers who might muck it up.

Sage.

>>Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

Just write a load of guff about how Monsanto want to poison everything that ever existed and how global warming is going to cook peoples faces.

>based British man.

Ive give you an image to go with that reply.

Literally everything short of illegal images (and even those are) is shared on Sup Forums, including Clinton propaganda. What is Sup Forums a Clinton shilling website now?

Dont believe the jew. Libs are as easily deceived as anyone
See: the "Trump is a racist homophobe" meme

>Liberals would have taken the bait on his stories

It's a blatant lie. This is a two-pronged approach of "evil alt-righters are spreading fake news, don't read it!" and "we NEVER print fake news, it just doesn't work on intellectual Liberals hahaha, by the way did you know Drumpf is literally Hitler".

Don't they still get ad revenue if people just click on it? Isn't the tragic a "fake" news story gets just indicative of how attention grabbing the headline is, and not necessarily how many people fell for it?
correlation/causation and all that...