Report for jury duty today in NYC

>Report for jury duty today in NYC
>Get called for voir dire
>It's a criminal case, where the defendant is ONLY accused of possessing an unregistered firearm -- no charges for theft or violence or anything like that
>I raise my hand and request a side bar
>I tell the judge and lawyers that I'm a proud rifle owner and card-carrying NRA member. I tell them how I fired my first rifle at the age of 8, I shot every year of my life, it's totally normal where I'm originally from to walk around with loaded guns, and that guns are a great hobby and bonding experience
>I say that I disagree with the public policy of gun control, and I don't think someone is a criminal just because they have a gun
>The judge is like, "Well, I think you're dismissed. No disagreements?" Everyone nods.

Did I do the right thing? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I sentenced a guy to prison just because he had an unlawful gun.

You should have shot them.

Are you fucking retarded? Why did you speak up instead of waiting til trial?

>what is not guilty?

Giant faggot OP good job fucking him over.

Good on you for standing by your principles mate, but I'd have been tempted to wait and argue his corner with the jury

Stupid of you to say something, you should have just waited for trial and jury nullified.

Dude...you could have helped him

Laws are laws, even if they are retarded laws.
besides, since this is NYC, its probably a nigger who was being charged.

Just stay on the jury and refuse to budge from a not guilty verdict reeeeeee

> (OP)
>Are you fucking retarded? Why did you speak up instead of waiting til trial?

So you would have perjured yourself?

This
Fucked up OP

Was the defendant white or black?

>Jury Nullification

>Nullfying gun laws in JYC
It would be tough to find 11 other men like OP in the entire city willing to push for nullification.

OP here.

He happened to be black, though I fail to see how that's relevant. The place where he was allegedly apprehended with a firearm is not in a good area of town, to say the least.

Probably a shit area of town because all the niggers are carrying unlicensed firearms

Then was he black or a nigger?

Well then, you did the right thing in removing yourself from that trial then. Luckly more saner heads will now judge this man in all due course.

good way to get out of jury duty

Chances are he was going to use it to commit a crime. You did the right thing by getting yourself waived.

>He happened to be black, though I fail to see how that's relevant.

kill yourself

/reddit/-->

You could've hung that jury...

Gun rights victories need to happen on all levels.

kek. bless you estonia

>Laws are laws, even if they are retarded laws.
The US constitution says the right shall not be infringed. How can a law regarding registering a firearm be a lawful?

Should have gone to trial and used the power of the jury.

If they don't ask you direct questions during voir dire, it's not perjury. Op decided to out himself early, they might not have asked if he specifically had a problem with current gun laws

its not pujury to not explain your background with guns or your stance on gun control laws unless you are asked and lie about it. in the OP he called a sidebar and voluntarily told his story

You Fucking moron.
You stay quiet during the trial and vote not guilty.
At the least force a hung jury.
Unless it's a non-white, then you vote guilty

What a dumbass moron. You could've helped the man.

You should have kept your mouth shut and make the guy not guilty you fucking idiot.

This is the moral and legally correct thing to do; jurors are expected to abstain if they do not belie they can pass an impartial decision on a case.

Was the defendant white?

Also, you cucked yourself by revealing your politics and letting yourself be removed from the decision making process. At least you can shitpost instead of serving your political interests though.

>I fail to see how that's relevant

This is why I go to other/pol/ now. ledit is like a fucking cockroach

>He happened to be black
GUILTY

kek.

Now I don't think this happened.

I bet you 1000 to 1 that all the other jurors weren't robots and had some beliefs on guns. The only difference is that the OP did not have the politically correct opinion on guns for that area.

You fucked up.

I want all of you patriots to know that I would have done the opposite of OP and fought for you if you were on trial for the same thing.

Only one person is needed to nullify. The jury must come to a consensus.

I think it's called mistrial? Then they'll have to find a new jury and do it all again.

Jury nullification.
You did it wrong, retard.

IIRC sometimes they just say fuck it and drop the case or offer a better plea deal.

>getting yourself recused because of your opinion

You did. But nobody else would do that, besides people who just want to avoid jury duty.