What are Sup Forums's thoughts on increasing the minimum wage?

what are Sup Forums's thoughts on increasing the minimum wage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_on_Maximum_Prices
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Should have followed worker productivity and inflation from the start. Spending power in America is at an all-time low. We don't have bread lines right now because of social programs, but those will bust within twenty years.

This country cannot last as long as we allow multinational soft monopolies to hold a consumerist grip on the nation. Our cult of object-obsessiveness needs to cease.

Instead of increasing the minimum price for labor, why don't we instead set a maximum price for essential goods?

Minimal skill = minimum pay.

It's pointless. If you raise the minimum wage, the prices of products and the price of living will all get raised with it.

And if you're 36 years old and only making minimum wage, you should just kill yourself.

increase minimum wage and i want a wage boost

am i fuck managing 5 people and being responsible for security, health & safety and all this legal shit during my shifts for pittence extra. They go up by £1? I better go up by £2 minimum.

>Forgets to mention robots ERR TAKIN ERR JERBS

Rapes small businesses if you dont gradually increase it over a long period of time it also forces you to give extra non performance raises to your long term employees that feel they deserve more aswell eg. (One day the commie government decides to raise the wage from 10 dollars an hour to 15 so your employees who make 11-18 bucks an hour feel they deserve a 5 dollar raise aswell) in turn you labour cost goes up x percent so to make up the cost you will have to raise your price of services to cover it accordingly and it may drive away customers with such a huge price increase.

What goods are deemed "essential" and what gives someone the right to set a limit on its price?

>Worker with full time union benefits gets minimum wage bump
>Whoa, suddenly lets cut your hours to part-time
>no more benefits

Price floor. Try to reduce the supply of labor instead by encouraging women not to work and instead stay at home, restricting unskilled labor immigration, etc. and increase the demand for labor by encouraging small businesses which employ unskilled labor, trying to develop a domestic industry, etc.

That shit failed even in Ancient Rome.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_on_Maximum_Prices

Abolish it

If there's a basic income, we can just eliminate the minimum wage.

>And if you're 36 years old and only making minimum wage, you should just kill yourself.

This.

I've had several casual summer jobs that have been 9-10 an hour.

How the FUCK do you earn minimum wage with ZERO raises for DECADES.

You'd have to be the world's biggest fuck up.

>40 year old mexigoblin women take up 50% of the minimum wage workforce

Jobs that were meant for teenagers are being filled with human garbage.

they're illegals. That's what that image tells me.

>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD GOOOOOY, THEY'LL FIGHT TO KEEP THEMSELVES IN THE MUD
FUCK NO I have a degree, it wouldnt be fair for those fast food workers to make as much as I do

FUCK NO I busted my ass to become a manager, it wouldnt be fair for those kids to make as much as I do.

FUCK NO I've been working here for years, day in day out never missing a day of work and fought for my raises, and now some lazy kids want to make more than I do just for applying?

the minimum wage is a cancer for the black and other poor communities

>still on minimum wage after 16
AHAHAHA

>Obongo's "jobs"

Minimum wage prevents me from freely trading my manpower for less. If I want to work on weekends, I fucking can't because it is government mandated that I get paid 1.5x or double. So the employer tells me to fuck off and go home cause they can't afford to pay. Now I go home and shitposts to waste time instead of being able to trade my shitposting time for more money.

Shoor. Besides, wants wrong with teenagers getting extra spending money, anyway?

An economy is doing better when people are consuming.

Minimum wage takes freedom away from the worker, takes away negotiating power. Gives people no incentive whatsoever to do anything above the bare minimum and most people don't even do that. Hence th McDonald's worker who has been making minimum wage for the last 10 years. You know how fucking easy it is to move up the ladder at a place like that if you're halfway competent?? This hand holding shit has got to stop.

>If you raise the minimum wage, the prices of products and the price of living will all get raised with it.

You can't tell that to the lefties though.
They think they're going to institute a minimum wage, and then somehow enforce a maximum price cap on goods and services.

They're literally fucking marxists who think they can make a working society by setting the price for every single thing.

Employers will simply look for loopholes/automation/outsourcing

Hit the nail on the head, the cost of living has been steadily increasing while wages have stagnated. This country will hit a breaking point eventually and it's going to get ugly.

>always had a job payed more than minimum
>not glamorous jobs: maintainance work, no benefits, no overtime etc.
>graduate and get entry job at above $15
>some burgerflipping nimrod who cant figure out how to make a big mac without fucking it up wants my kind of pay grade for no reason

It will literally kill the economy. Service sector jobs will go away and the only way you will be able to buy anything is through the government. It will basically be like Atlas Shrugged but in real life.

>people spend their time at work
>not out and consuming products
>economy slows down
>people spend even more time at work and not consuming
Go out and buy some products, bitch.

Platform piece for candidates to jerk themselves off to. I'd be more for government vocational/certification training CompTIA shit.

No, minimum wage earners don't benefit from a minimum wage because their jobs will be cut.

>increasing the minimum

>prices go up everywhere in order to pay their employees a higher minimum wage while still making as much profit as before.

>nothing changes

How much should we increase it to? Why not $50+/hr so everyone can be rich!

>Minimum wage prevents me from freely trading my manpower for less

Why would anyone want to do this?

Gas the kikes that control the money supply

Minimim wage is an irrelevent distraction from the jewish problem

Stop low skilled immigration.
Let pay rise to meet requirements using US Citizen labor already in the country
People earn more, but some items (touched by lower income labor) become more expensive.
People prioritize spending.
No 3-4% growth, but low/middle saving rate increases.
If you believe in man-made climate change, reduced demand reduces CO2.

Price ceilings almost inevitably lead to shortages. First and foremost, some of these crucial goods will end up going to someone that needs it less urgently and therefor is willing to pay less for it. You have to read up on consumer surplus and shit like that, but basically there are alot of people willing to buy that shit for more, but the price ceiling makes it so that people that are willing to buy it for less get it. It also leads to less of an incentive to provide these goods as you can only make so much with them. Producers only willing to sell them a product for 100$ dollars or more aren't going to magically decide to sell it for 80$ dollars, they just say screw it I am not going to sell this. This is what leads to shortages as in the market there were people willing to buy it for more, but can't because the price is limited and people that are only willing to sell it at a certain price that won't because they aren't allowed to.

>It will literally kill the economy.
They've been saying that since people wanted child labour outlawed. And they were wrong every single fucking time.

Everybody knows trickle-down supply-side economics is bunk, nobody realizes the complete opposite is true, wealth bubbles up, and economies grow if you push money from the top to the bottom.

Degree making 15 an hour? Liberal arts is not a degree one should pursue.

This. Minimum wage basically did nothing when it was first enacted. So go ahead liberals, raise it. I hope you enjoy paying $40 for a hamburger.

increasing the amount someone must be paid for work, doesn't increase the value of the work that needs doing

it's a job killer
this is why mcdonalds in manhattan have self ordering kiosks now and only one manned register

Bump up minimum wage to $15 immediately, but leave a 5-10 year grace period to ensure compliance. Additionally, make it legal to bargain for a lower-than-minimum wage during the hiring process by implementing a Department of Labor consent form that must be signed by both parties. Restrict this bargaining to US citizens only. Tie the minimum wage to the CPI for incremental increases.

As a side note I would cut welfare to single parent households and redirect the funds to a national financial literacy/education program.

I don't care as long as employers really start cracking down on bad employees. I haven't gotten a correct order at a drive through in like 3 years. It makes me incredibly angry that these kids think they're worth $15 an hour. That is more than the starting salary of a white collar worker who would be fired if they got an order wrong just 1 time.

Why didn't they better themselves professionally before starting a brood?

I only have one word to reply to this post.

Inflation.

thank

I think it's a great thing.
Burger bots soon friends.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Abolish all minimum wage.

deport mexicans

wages will rise

Living in LA I honestly don't see how businesses or people will survive if the minimum wage is pushed to 15 dollars. Things are already so fucking expensive here, you're either in the top 20% and can easily afford shit. Or you are right at the poverty line, yet you are making $1800-2500 a month.

Minumum wages are a price cap. When they are set low enough, they don't do much harm, and mostly prevent retards from being paid a dollar an hour to use their retard strength, or something.

When you just say "HURR DURR LET'S SET THEM TO A BILLION DOLLARS AND HOUR AND THEN WE WILL ALL BE RICH", you get:

- Inflation

- Automation

- No openings, 1000 people lined up for each one

- Following the above, the people who DO have jobs need to put up with shit treatment because there is always someone willing to take your job if you don't want it

- Working under the table, both by legal residents and illegal immigrants. Tax income is hurt by this.

- And even if all laws are followed, you'll have people who are willing to work for $10/hour, employers who could afford to hire them for that, and yet the law is forcing them out of this relationship.

It's another stupid leftist idea, ignorant of economics, which childishly believes "WE CAN JUST MAKE IT THE LAW THAT EVERYONE'S LIFE IS PERFECT, BUT THE CORPORATIONS MANNNN".

If your work is worth 15 dollars an hour, you can obtain that easily. The sad truth is that most millenials are fucking useless and think they are entitled to be paid vast sums of money just to show up and proceed to spend 75% of their time on their phone.

Exactly. Inflation. If you didn't get a raise every single year, that at least matched the inflation of the currency, your employer literally stole money from you.

>the system is fucking me in the ass so I can only be happy if I know its fucking someone else harder, with no lube

>raise min wage
>"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED EXPERIENCE??"

Bringing jobs back to America will raise wages

That's a good thing. Automation is required for communism to occur. Once all skilled and unskilled labor is done by robots there will be no reason for the capitalist class to exist.

raisin wage is a tax on everyone besides the lowest income earners

Will the people making 15 16 or 17 an hour get a raise too?

Everytime minimum wages go up purchasing power of every wage earner has gone down
This is a fact. Middle wage earners today are much closer to the lowest earners than say 15 or 30 years ago

Should get rid of the minimum wage as it sets a floor on wages that all over wages can be based off of.

People that want this also want to buy these shoes for 900$

If minimum wage is increased (they're talking about doubling it right?), then why the fuck would any of these minimum wage workers keep their job?

Someone who is only good enough to earn $7 an hour sure as shit isn't going to be getting paid $15 an hour. They'll either replace people with machines where possible, or the requirements for getting these jobs will massively increase.

Sure, increase it as much as you want as long as you dont tax me more.

Otherwise, they work a minimum wage job because they're both weak and dumb. Why would I want to reward that?

Ive always been for the min wage keeping pace with inflation, but there is a difference between gradually, healthfully bumping it up, and just jacking it to the max instantly. The proponents of increasing it never want to do it sensibly, my major problem with it. Local markets/economies wont react favorably. You have to slowly boil the frog.

I don't think it's a good idea

Although, as someone that is currently choosing to be unemployed instead of underemployed, if it was high enough I might go out and get a shit job while I look for a real one

From talking to people who receice Social Security, SSI, and SSI-Disability, a lot of them would be working if they were paid well.

SSI/Welfare people will lose their benefits and food stamps if they start working a full time job. So their monthly increase in income would actually be $800 less (lost benefits) than what is on their paystub. Right now, a full time job at McDonalds is worth like $1200. You can't tell someone on welfare to go work a full time job for only $400 more per month than what they get for doing nothing. But $15 an hour would definitely motivate them to rejoin the workforce.

I get $740 a month in SSI. You make working worth my time, and I will find a way to work - be it medicine or whatever. But fuck that shit if they are just going to pay me $1,100 a month for a starter job. My time and freedom that I'd be sacrificing is worth a lot more than an extra $400.

> (OP)
>It's pointless. If you raise the minimum wage, the prices of products and the price of living will all get raised with it.
>And if you're 36 years old and only making minimum wage, you should just kill yourself.

I would counter your argument by saying that when wages increase, people buy more stuff, more stuff=more firms in the market=more supply=lower prices due to buyer spending power.

Holy shit read an economics book you retard.

>Will the people making 15 16 or 17 an hour get a raise too?

If they don't ask for one they are fucking stupid. Also if you need other people to be below you in order to feel successful then you need to kill yourself.

i'm starting to believe the muh inequality meme now. I used to just ignore it because I was born fortunate but things are really becoming fucked.

>labor is worth 20 potatoes
>a person is fine with getting 15 potatoes and the employer gets 5
>government says that you need to pay 25 potatoes
>you can't get a job, because you only generate 20 potatoes, so hiring you is a loss

>wealth only gets greater if you push it into the ground
>canadian education

This. There is literally no difference between paying somebody $15/hr and $15,000,000,000/hr. Literally none.

I live in shitty pinellas county Florida and $2500/month is basically poverty here too

>They think they're going to institute a minimum wage, and then somehow enforce a maximum price cap on goods and services.

No they don't. Read a book for once in your life. This is basic economics kid.

nah just remove women and illegals from the work force, return to nuclear families and you'll have 5% unemployment like it should be and buying power will go up

every minimum wage increase ever suggested or enacted has included a staged increase over 5-10 years
what the fuck are you talking about

This. Prices don't go up. Low skilled workers just lose their jobs and more productive workers get hired instead.

has there ever been a punisher comic where he achieves such greatness?

i feel like the punisher would consider that

Regardless of what system does or does not occur, technology is the one true and lasting achievement of the human race and I dislike anything that holds back it's progress like artificially cheap labor.

Er, except when it didnt? Especially during the 2005-2010 years.

Go back to Canada you flaming fucking faggot.

economics says dont have min wage
sleazy politicians do anyhow
lawyers love it
think about that

So you are saying that minimum wage encourages innovation by forcing companies to invest in labor saving devices and/or production methods? wtf I love the minimum wage now.

People buy more stuff = more money supply = prices increase cancelling out the spending power

Wow, leaf you must hate poor people. Why not make the minimum wage by seconds and not hours? $15,000,000,000 a second sounds fair.

>leaf
maybe you should work to earn the raise, instead of having the state give it to you, just because.
Think of the inflation after every single person with a minimum wage job getting paid more. Its simple economics. Explain where businesses are going to get all that money?

A larger minimum wage means we get closer to automating all these shit jobs, which honestly no (human) should be doing.

Not even worth proving it. I want to torture your loved ones

>remove women from workforce
>buying power will go up

>I don't think it's a good idea
>lists the reason exactly why it's a good idea

What about single mothers?

those poor potatoes

>the company now gets 0 potatoes

>who benefits from a higher minimum wage?
the niggers at mcdonald's who cannot even get my fucking order correct. $15/hour my ass

>Also if you need other people to be below you in order to feel successful
that's the definition of success, you dumb beta bitch

this
there's so many useless jobs that could easily be replaced by robots. let's get a basic income program going and start automating these shits

So, we're either going back to the notion of the family (Which is great) or killing people.

You are retarded.

Ummm no. There's roughly 3mil people working at or below minimum wage. Around 2mil of them are tip workers who average $13/hr. The other million are kids. Fuck off liberal cunt.

(((They))) all want inflation
All of the elites income is capital not wage based so it means nothing to them if wages were 200$ an hour they would still get their percent
Rent would be 30,000 a month but they will still make their 12% CPI

The big losers in this battle is the middle class wage earners. It cuts their purchasing power immensely.
Wages will naturally rise without government intervention. Problem is the government has been fucking around with it and wages have stagnated because no one knows the abundance of labour for a specfic job when people are constantly getting raises via the government

Ask Venezuela how good the government that controls everything works
>Tfw they measure their money in weight now because its worth nothing

>They've been saying that since people wanted child labour outlawed. And they were wrong every single fucking time.
Actually no they haven't. Children were better at mining and would do it for less, the mining companies argued it was completely fair for someone to work so long as they wished to. The miners literally said "THEY TURK UR JERBS!" and demanded child labor laws.

>Everybody knows trickle-down supply-side economics is bunk
Because trickle down economics has never been advocated by any economist ever. It isn't even a thing.

>nobody realizes the complete opposite is true
What that taking money from people that invest it and giving it to people that spend it helps the economy. That is not factually accurate and is up to speculation, but there are quite a few economists that agree with that assertion.

>economies grow if you push money from the top to the bottom.
The bottom doesn't invest and create businesses, you can't wring out the upper classes to the point at which starting a business or investing is worthless. The flip side of that is that there is no reason to start a business if there are no consumers capable of buying things.

However, minimum wage is the definition of a price floor, which leads to a surplus of labor. While price floors are factually bad, there are a few economists which believe minimum wage is good (I personally disagree). A survey (I forget its name but it shouldn't be impossible to find) asked businesses what they would do if they minimum wage was increased. About 52% said hiring freeze and reduce employee numbers through attrition and a little over 35% said straight up firing workers. I doubt it would have the intended impact.

That's just one reason it would be a good idea

If I was thinking about starting a business that would benefit by hiring a teenage helper I probably wouldn't like it too much

i'm an american citizen you retarded fucking nigger

>business grows because you ask it really nicely and give it tax cuts
>not because it has more customers to serve
>american education

>no racial demographics
how convenient

now we'll never know for sure if 80% of them are fucking skilless nigpigs

Well, amount of stuff bought would go up, that's for sure. A women with an extra 40 hours a week and the DVR is full? Nigga, the shopping carts would need a full-time pit stop crew just to keep them from falling apart from overuse.

underrated post