Learning English

I'm always impressed by the English of non-anglo flags. Most seem to understand plenty of idioms, phrases, expressions, etc. They're able to articulate an argument as well as any english-as-a-first language speaker.

Tell me you experience with learning English and what you think of it as a language.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBnLHeGbw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

homonyms are retarded

I learned English while being part of AIESEC which is an international student organization. Now I work for a company where everyone comes from elsewhere and we all speak English for convenience.

English is pretty easy, I also speak German and some Spanish but rarely practice them, English however I speak every day.

Do you think English is easier than your native tongue?

I learn English when I come Australia

English is a fairly easy language, I learnt English from movies, shows and video games, the trash they teach in schools is piss poor
I still need to practice it though, like, pronouncing and shit like that

At the beginning I learned from a necessity to understand videogame stories; then from music, movies and tv shows. Then the internet came along and I became fascinated with IRC, chatting with English speakers from all around the world. I still remember my first chat with some girl nicknamed Latoya, she taught me what a/s/l means.
Later in life I mastered pronunciation after a 4 months relationship with a girl from Chicago. Before that I could only write and read English, now I can speak it so well that every person I meet tells me they thought I was American, my accent doesn't give me away.

I grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina, for further context.

I learnt my English from Sesame Street and that annoying purple dinosaur.

What did he mean by this?

I learned how to speak English from the TV.
When I was in preschool both my parents worked. My grandpa would pick me up, take me home, make me lunch then he'd go back to work as well.
I would watch Cartoon Network till my parents got home. At that time ('90s) nothing was dubbed.
I learned how to write in school. We started in grade 4. Easy language desu.

>pronouncing
Fuck that. You don't need to be able to pronounce shit on the interwebs posting from your mom's basement.

I learn to speaka english when i was in cailais jungle tring to get into englan
HAHAHHAhaha but fuck them they pay wellfar for all shit and their women are inbred dogs
swden is much better
here i get free house from racist old couple and all wimin love the knulli knulli with afghan men

I've learned it playing vidya and in the chanz.
While I like speaking english and I write pretty much only in english now, I honestly think english is not a great language, it is indeed easy to learn and speak and it is far more easy to express your feelings in english.
I find the language pretty primitive if I'm going to be honest, at least from a perspective of a more modern language, english just has so many repetitions and same meaning words that it loses rhetoric and artistic potential.

>Lived in America for a while
>90% of the movies I watch are in english
>Shitposting on Sup Forums constantly
>50% of the books i read are in english

Sometimes I think in English or swear in english. Save me anglosphere I am doomed

we learn English in school, along with French and german.
then movies and interwebs. shit practically teaches itself.

English is quite close to dutch so it easy for us.

English is a much easier language then dutch though, they made dutch too complicated even for the dutch.

as I understand UK English is a language that is old and stayed the same for the most part. so a bit dated.

US English is more progressive and to the point. much easier to quickly learn.

I learned english from Sup Forums, movies and shitty video games.
It's a pretty easy language to pick up, a lot harder to master and pronunciation is a bitch.
What I'm about to say sounds fine in my head, but ends up sounding retarded when I actually say it.

Here is a good answer:
"No you stupid Communist, Capitalism is best!"

english is so easy,learning german,french or any of those european cuck languages is hard

Pretty much this, I'm starting to forget words in my maternal language from time to time.

You had god-tier sitcoms and movies. Had.

Games are also pretty cool, especially the ones with colorful insults and analogies, as well as nice quotes.

> learnt

as apposed to......

Don't fear. Rejoice. You're only becoming white!

I promise I came in peace

>and shitty videogames
What does that even mean?
You only used to play shit games or you only had shitty games to play?

Just stop judging a language on what 11 year olds type in chat of Counterstrike. Although I don't disagree with all of that you said, there were some truths there.

Also I guess I can't really think of it much as a language since I learned it from an early age. I don't really think about air, I just breathe it after all.

Not very difficult to learn, german and english are both from the westgermanic branch, same as dutch.

I first needed english to understand Diablo 1, the music, other social media stuff and then the whole learning process goes all by itself.

fuck of cunt of the infidel islam kommer att dominera världen brur your whores are so cheap and shitty they used asshole som many tiem they shart in mart like common indain whore
Mitt bete är utmärkt, om du har någonting emot det så föreslår jag att du tar upp det med mig på lunchrasten, fitta.

How did you get american channels in Romania?

As long as you start learning before the critical period closes from ages 10-16 you'll be perfectly fluent in the language. Kids exposed to American TV and the internet will have a lot of opportunity to learn our language.

He stole a satellite.

T. Shlomo Jamal Escobar, the spicy hasidic homeboy

After the revolution we got all sorts of English-speaking channels.

Someone please fetch Serbia out of the closet.

My English is pretty good because I was born in US. Came here to work though.

You didn't speak very much and didn't learn the pronunciation of our phonemes and since your critical period for language acquisition is closed it'll be hard for you to ever sound like a native speaker of English.

kek

They teach you English from the beginning here. Universities are all run in English and we pirate a lot of movies and TV shows.

English in Denmark is mandatory from third grade and until you leave school. Both in high school and college a lot of the research papers we read are in english.
All tv we watch is english.
All video games english.
All music english.

It made it easier to learn new languages when being duolingual. I picked up german pretty easy, think it took me six months.

Filipinos tend to have English that they did not get from America like scallywags, rubout, holdupper, and colorum. They also have different terms for items such as rubber shoes for tennis shoes, and lastly they pronounce youtube as youchoob, like a britfag, I know another Filipino can shed some light on this.

We start studying a bit of English as early as 3rd grade, but honestly most of the real learning for me happened from 10th grade onwards.

The teachers started only speaking english, we started watching english movies at school, etc.

From there, it was a short jump to watching english movies without subs, then english youtube videos, and so on.
Now I can usually understand even inbred hillbillies.

Also, being a programmer I spend my entire day pretty much reading and writing english anyway.

English is a pretty easy language to use, but it has some powerful/interesting facilities, like being able to use any word as a verb.

The thing I miss the most is the abundance of synonyms that we have in Italian, and the ability to shift complements and predicates around the sentence to slightly alter the tone and register of it.

m8 French shouldn't be hard if you speak Spanish and English already

WE PIRAT COMPUTER AND LERN INGLISH BY INSTAL WINDOWS EVER SINCE WINDOW 98 WE PLAY CONTER STRAYK MEK YAHU MAIL INBOX FOR GRANDMA

oh I also had gamingclans back in the Q2/UT era.
practise makes perfect and desu my English was allot better then some of them chav's ehe!

This.
Diablo 1 is GOAT tbqhwy famalampai

Shit, this happens to me as well.
Sometimes the English word for something comes to me first and I can't remember the Italian one at all.

I spent 5 minutes trying to translate "moose" the other day, and I still don't know what a spruce tree is in italian.

>i'm actually going to google it right now

Roger that affirmative negative and go go go stick together cover me get out of there it's gonna blow.

I learned english through pc games when I was a kid. Pic related is the game that helped me the most probably. I pretend that I don't speak it well when I'm abroad though so people just talk freely about me thinking I don't understand what they're saying kek

I think it's a language modified to replace french. I like it but I feel there's something superficial and machine-like feeling about it. Don't know why though

He's writing in the Queen's English. The proper English. Not your bastardised ugly form of it.

Shieet forgot pic

>Wu Tang Clan ain't nuthin to fuck wit nigga!
Look at this fake ass nigga. You ain't OG nigga. Real niggas learn from da Wu nigga. Played those tapes to death in the kampung my nigga. Bout to get my MBA from those niggas too.

>>i'm actually going to google it right now

what the fuck

it's called "Abete" just like fir

how are you supposed to tell them apart

wtf I hate italian now

>spruce tree
picea something, If I remember correctly... Don't ask

aahHAHAHA stupid turshit you don ever can picture
& daggerfall vorom skitsplear för väsrta viring losers

pls no bully

You take the point you take the point you take the point you take the point

My first experiente was with videogames. My english was absolute shit and I only understood a few words since I barely knew how to read in portuguese. Later on I went to an english school and got out as a fluent english speaker at age 14 or so.
English is cool, pretty easy. I think it should be harder just to show which foreigner actually deserves a certain job.

i'm surprised by so many of you foreigners saying that english is "such an easy language to learn"

i worked as a linguist in the U.S. military and english is ranked in the highest tier of language difficulty, along with chinese and japanese

would be interested to hear why exactly you guys think that english is "easy". in my experience it is much more complex than other languages

Daggerfall is the best TES game, kys swedecuck

There was nothing anything like it, I'm talking about 1996 ffs

german tv series and general cultural output is pretty shitty these days so everyone turned to britsh/american productions tbqh

I got my vernacular from Sup Forums tho. I also read the occassional book

>Get in position and wait for my go
Go go go
Go go go
Go go go

English can be learned so well in just a few weeks, that one can start shitposting.
seems to me as easiest language there is. Only some special words do not stick in memory, but one can "go around" them quite easily.
Learned from TV-subs, then school, and finally from internet and books.

What I`ve noticed is, that speaking on the phone with English-speaking (especially British) people is still hard, mostly because they seem to presume everybody everywhere has full vocabulary, and if you do not answer as soon as they have finished a sentence, (or sooner..) they think you are somekind of retard, or the line is dead... Most of them literally dont give you two seconds to think how to construct a clear sentence, so one has to go like uhhmmm... aaaa... yeah... well... -to keep them shut up for you to get the right words.

Daggerfall is pretty bad mang

Danish game, but two faggot Swedes made a fan music video.

I think the narrative is about a neckbeard sitting all day in his basement playing counter strike and when his mom tells him to go outside he puts a bullet through her brain.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBnLHeGbw8

How many of you are actually from the country that your flag is from?

I have a hard time believing Are legit from where their IP says they're from. How would you fags even know about Sup Forums and why would you want to interact with Americans when you can just go to a site for people from your country?

morrowind was way better t.bh

i owe it all to ed, edd and eddy
the best teachers i have ever had

Yes speak good le english.

Je suis proud to see l'increase of the level.

My friend says Shake a spear is same me.Good.

For the people saying they learned English from vidya did you set the language as English but then use your languages subtitles?

>burger amazed that the world knows the current lingua franca

Yeah what a surprise.

>I don't really think about air, I just breathe it after all.

As a native English and Spanish speaker here's why English is easier

1. No accents or other marks
2. Sentence structure is much simpler
3. More words but less are used in daily speech than Spanish
4. Everything is in English
5. No genders

>you take the point
Negative
>you take the point
Negative
>you take the point
Negative

>moose
That doesn't count, we would never know such words on our mother languages, you know there aren't any moose in our respective countries. There are words I forget often that are way more relevant like "waitress", I always forget it for some reason

>sit on a computer more than hour a day
>dont know about Sup Forums

Much easier (fixed) sentence structure, names and articles don't decline depending on gender, most verbs do not decline based on person and gender, adjectives don't decline at all.

Less verb tenses: Italian has 21 different tenses.

Also A LOT ess synonyms.

Just off the top of my head

>tfw you now realize that Edd and Eddy were jews and Ed was just their Shabbos Goy

they are almost as biased as you are because, at least in the west, you start learning english at a young early age. And it's not a very conscious process either. You just pick things up by consuming english speaking media.

Easiest shit I learned in my life.

Thanks videogames.

>pavement
>sidewalk

choose one. the easier more logical one is yours.

US English has logic to it based on simplicity. it actually took me a while to understand things are usually exactly as a word describes it. (helped me allot in understanding nfl rules)

of course it gets more difficult once one tries to talk instead of type.
and even more difficult when a conversation becomes specific or technical.

I have a allot of online meetings with brits and americans but its still difficult to express myself because my brain already knows what to say but then I have to translate it clearly. if it takes too long my train of thought is lost.

US English is one language, Chinese and Japanese are multiple layered languages. much more difficult to learn because It doesn't make sense until you are deep in the process.
English is logical much more early so it gets easier to learn properly.

Because of cultural imperialism. The United States produces a fucking ridiculous amount of media in English. It's then flooded all over the English speaking Internet, which was invented by English speakers. If you want to learn English, there is no shortage of content to practice with. And people in every country speak it anyways in order to deal with the USA. Basically every interaction anyone has in the world is only a few steps away from an English speaker.
Also, people writing in English on an English speaking website will generally be people who are good at English. I'm sure we have many lurkers who aren't very good at writing in English and instead just read our shit.
English is hard, but I learned it.

t. Cuban refugee to America who learned English to the same degree that natives did

We've been tricked

I found out about Sup Forums irl in 2008 and had never really used the computer seriously before. How would you hear about Sup Forums on the web, especially in such a way that you'd want to come here?

>hear about people laughing at Sup Forums
>google "b"
>nothing comes up

I was a dumbass.

We do have moose in Europe, although not in Italy.

It's called alce in Italian and everyone knows it, I just couldn't remember it right away.

Let me add to that list:

6. Conjugating verbs is x100 simpler.

It's easy to learn English since western media dominates the world. Like other anons have said. Movies, TV shows, games, shitposting, etc. But if you're some backwoods gook in the jungle it probably would be very hard for them to learn English.

English is the de facto esperanto. Esperanto didn't work as an international language, english did. The reasons for that is the dominance of english and american economy, technology and specially culture over the last two centuries, besides the fact that english is itself an hybrid language with teutonic, celtic and latin influences. English is the most latin of the non-latin languages, due to the fact that britain was part of the roman empire for 4 centuries, and was catholic for 1000 years until Henry VIII.
That's why english is the first non-native language everyone in the world learns.

No it wasn't back in 1996. Daggerfall and Ultima Online just seemed out of this world, almost magical for that era.

It didn't have the same vast world daggerfall had, I was so disappointed when I bought it after so much anticipation. Everything is fucking ruined after 90s FUCKING KIKES

pic related, I still have it on my pc and play it from time to time

>Tell me you experience with learning English and what you think of it as a language.
it's piss easy, the only other language I found easier was norwegian which you can learn in like 2 weeks not counting pronounciation (sorry norwegianfags, it's a nice language though)

seriously after you survive german/russian nothing compares except for asian languages that emphasise memorisation

I'm from Cuba desu

I learned English through Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and NES/SNES.

Obviously it helps that we have courses at school from like grade 5.

Overall it's a good language. Pretty easy and simple. I wish there were more curse words though.

However, it baffles me that some people have "dick" or "cock" in their names.

Forgot about this.

this
You need to learn the tongue of the empire t.bh

Here are some tips for non-english speaking people.
The biggest tip I can give you is "helping verbs"
Asian accents are always like "you go over there"
The thing is that helping verbs help give clarification to verbs. You can now say "You will go over there" which is now a command, or imperative sentence. You will basically nail down english when you use helping verbs, that's the hardest part of english for others I see struggling in it.

it was quite easy and fun
>watch english cartoons as a kid
>see rural curry niggers around me embarrassing themselves with their nigger tier antics and shit communication skills
>get redpilled, realise i need to be better than these curry slurping dravidians and biharis
>also get foreign exchange student qtgf
>speaking english feels right at this point
>break up with gf because she has to move back, and long distance never works
>also she was an annoying tumblrina
>become a weeb , now learning moonrunes
>tfw no qt imouto

English is retarded Define run. You can't. Define these 2 words: Polish Read. You can't.

>byond
How much of pol plays ss13?
I see a meme every and then here

How do non-Americans feel about the typical American accent? Does it sound annoying, pretty, or anything specifically? For example, I find the romance languages nice to listen to.