How do we reverse the depletion of nutrients in our soil Sup Forums?

How do we reverse the depletion of nutrients in our soil Sup Forums?

Don't poo in the loo

Adopt the three sisters.
Native Americans could farm the same plot of land indefinitely. I hope you fuckers like corn.

apply potash

Since potash can also be produced in smelters you can actually keep this up forever

Quit fucking feeding Africa and Asia.

Poo in the fields

Rotate your goddamn crops m8

We don't. We force the niggers and shitskins to stop shitting out babies.

Oh god is this Global Warming part II electric boogaloo?

>If climate change continues, our soil is next! (((scientist))) warns.

Stop subsidizing the shit out of corn so that pepsijews and coca-kikes can make cheapass syrup.

It's fucking disgusting, the farmers sell that shit at a market price that's a LOSS but the subsidies are so fat it doesn't even matter. Why rotate crops and make the soil better when there's big bucks in just cranking out crap and keeping the diabetes factories running?

oh so can we finally stop this goverment enforced cornshit from ethonol that dident work and go back to crop rotations then?

OMG
First time seeing a thread about this on Sup Forums I'm actually proud. Biggest potential disaster in the world and absolute MSM silence.

the billions of dead humans will be the new fertilizer from which the Trump Reich grows.

Farming isn't the problem. The practices used are. Tillage specifically leads to erosion and nutrient loss. No till farming is a practical alternative but requires switching from one set of expensive equipment to a different set of expensive equipment. You climate change retards finally figured out that 10x more CO2 comes from soil erosion and oxidation than all fossil fuel usage combined? Congratulations, morons. Soil scientists have shouted this at you for a decade while great leaders like Heir Bush II created policies to put corn based ethanol in all your gas tanks. You people are literally the stupidest, most ignorant fucks alive today.

Well the African population is exploding. Maybe we should mulch them?

Flood the fields in blood.
Shit will balance its self out

I didn't know this. I assumed farmers weren't ruining their own land by going against LITERALLY 2000+ years of knowledge.

How did it get like this? Thank God Trump knows literally everything wrong. I swear he is Jesus incarnate.

Nice quad-dubs. You don't see that every day.

Anyway, you might be right. The African population has grown from 200m in the 1950, to 1.1b today. It's expected to double in a matter of decades. If we assume Europe starts to close its border in the following years, as the welfare state and our economies start to collapse, we're probably going to see widespread famine in Africa that will kill hundreds of millions.
I wonder if China will invade and reintroduce slavery in order to get control over the continent.

Crush up activated almonds and add them to fertilizer.

We have the ((Haber)) Process now, you uncivilized cretin.

>stop farming or we won't be able to farm
Also, nutrients don't have to leech out of the soil if you do it right. I'm under the impression that most, if not all farmers employ nitrogen fixing crop rotation and use fertilizers, and a lot of this land has been farmed continuously for a century now.

As usual I assume the writer is talking about soil erosion and water depletion in africa and the middle east, then lying by omission and leading readers to believe there's somethign we can do about it, when we can't.
It's just stupid africans as usual

>I wonder if China will invade and reintroduce slavery in order to get control over the continent.

No one ever talks about it, but China is suffering from a severely aging demographic. The one bright spot is that they might hit the crisis point on that after the West has moved through it, which would give us an advantage.

Kek confirms

>No one ever talks about it, but China is suffering from a severely aging demographic.
Actually, it's been all over the news for years. I mean, you've got their one child policy that recently ended, and a severe lack of Chinese women, as a good chunk of them were drowned as infants.
But yeah, that is one of the bright spots in all of this. Despite their enormous population, it's going to be dropping in time, and it's going to be even more severe than in the west, because the amount of women they have is much lower than their population size suggests. On the other hand, that also means they have more men, and men are far more productive than women, and add far more to ther economic and technological growth.
That being said, it's going to take a while, because their population are still younger than in the western world, as their birth rate declined much later than ours did. We're going to crash before they do.

>day of rope
>all sjws, googles, Skypes and race traitors swing
>mulch millions of bodies
> burry them in the soil
>soil saved for a hundred generations to come
Devs volt

They didn't use it indefinitely, they would use it for a bit and then burn a new field and use it. Corn is a heavy feeder even with the beans there.

Quickly, my brave fellows - we must look to the people of India! Eschew the Loo!

Don't give food aid to Africa.

Probably 40% of the problem goes away right then.

Stop breeding.

You put leaves on the soil.
That is it. Not really complicated.

We act like a responsible species and stop multiplying like bunnies.

Every other species we studied that takes over like we do face the same problem.
They grow too fast, deplete the resources, then the majority if not all of the population starves to death.

We have gone past that point and can only sustain the population with genetically modified crops, preservatives, and all kinds of has science gone too far tech.
If we don't change, then we are going to need to speed up plans to colonize and expand to other nearby inhabitable planets.

You mean like Canadians?

Amazing, the world is ending again. Can't wait for the gamma ray burst, meteor strikes and supervolcano eruptions caused by racism and global warming.

Alright so take the initiative and be the first to kill yourself in the name of population control

You leave the ground to grow wild for a season or 2

The nutrients return naturally with the wildlife

You just grow another crop to fix more nutrients in the soil. It happens all the time. No way we're going to run out of soil.

Terrance did you just fahhhhhht!

We grind up shitskins and turn them into fertilizers, the greatly reduced population will also be a boon.

stop using ethanol.

And heres the next big hoax to follow after global warming.

isn't this what crop rotation is for?

Most places are too overloaded to crop rotate, because over population.

We either rape the earth and live on shitty factory farmed food and fast shitty ass food.

Or we let the billions of shitty poor cunts starve and farm sustainably.

This is why i live on acreage and have a vegetable garden, fruit trees and small amount of livestock

Stop. you are making me feel like the elite who believe certain people don't deserve to exist.

There is a difference between killing people or being responsible and preventing overpopulation by limiting new births.

Oh no! It's peak oil all over again!

THIS THIS THIS
Pic related is what's happening in Iowa, the most soil-rich region on the planet. Once topsoil depth hits 4-6", root growth starts to be affected and from that point on you're fucked. Some guy thought this was important enough to carve into a fucking rest stop.
In any case, my strong recommendation is that we sink as much research as possible into thorium nuclear, or at least high-altitude wind for the short term. The former would be the equivalent of free energy compared to what we have today, and once we have that available to us we can build whatever we want, including artificial greenhouses to replace potentially all of the world's traditional agriculture. But if we don't get our shit together soon, we'll be looking at mass dieoffs and likely nuclear-exchange resource wars by at least the 2030s.

Stop feeding the 3rd world with "free" donations, they'll cull themselves.

Combination of corruption, and delusional envirofags who think ethanol is better

Stop growing things in the fields one season at a time. Cycle growing vs non growing fields so they all have a chance to recuperate. Fill the empty fields with manure, vitamins, fish guts, compost, etc.

Over population isn't a thing.
A massive percentage of produce and grains are either wasted, they sit in grocery stores and no one buys them, or we give it to shitholes in Africa for food aid.

We over produce what is needed for our own people.

GLOBAL SOILING IS REAL

If we had less people, soil erosion wouldn't be an issue because there wouldn't be enough land getting farmed to cause any major impact. Overpopulation is a sliding scale, not a precise cutoff.

Chemical fertilizers have wrecked a lot of topsoil. Some say beyond recovery.

ban meat nuts and avocado

Confirmed as only intelligent post in thread

Just you wait.

>Malthusian catastrophe in my lifetime

Came here to post this.

use buckwheat as a cover plant if you live in northern hemisphere and stop harvesting whole plants

Kill 70% of the world's population. Not even memeing. Sooner or later someone will have to pull the plug

lower gov spending and regulations

FACT: An almond at super activation 2 can match the energy output of the sun.

>what is fertilizer?

Stop mono cultures

I use leaves, and veggie and fruit waste that doesn't have meat/salt or oil on it, coffee grounds, mulch, grass, anything good compost material to enrich my soil.

This needs to be done on a mass scale in all of the midwest. Like for a 2 full years just ad cow shit and saw dust to all farmland we can. Argi engineers know how to solve all of these problems, they just don't have enough investment to do great things.

this
plant legumes
also this why are there questions or articles about this?
I thought everyone knew

send more money to un

it's a global warming propaganda piece ignore it

Just plant some dutch clover in between your crops, it will fix nitrogen to the soil and wont compete with shit.

>Food supply takes a huge downturn
>Rich Western countries with large militaries are ably to supply their citizens and secure adequate foodstuffs
>Populations of shitstain countries plummet as mass famine sets in and countries are unable to feed their insanely high amounts of people, most notably China, India, Oceania, Africa, etc.

How is this a bad thing?

Yeah, ikr,

Trouble is soil science isn't sexy. And most people are too tard level to understand it ( as is evident reading most of the comments in this thread "apply potash hurr durr" ).

The fact is we are fucked. The soils are fucked. There will be a J curve with the next 100 - 200 years. That's the only thing that is going to happen.

>eat plants
>digest
>shit it out
>use as fertilizer
>expect the fertilizer to have the same energy and nutrients as the original plant you ate
>shiggy diggy

about time

Over-exploitation of world resources is going to be too much of a problem as the world population exponentially increases. Drastically decreasing the world population ensures the world wont eventually devolve into chaos, fighting over some resource. The world will be more than able to scientifically progress and the like with a vastly decreased population, this being far more important than making every country's demographics as bloated as possible.

Wrong. They apply chemical fertilizers because the soil is so fucked now that nothing will grow without it.

Shut up goof.

Find out where the nutrients are going and put em back.

Law of conservation of mass and stuff

where you set up how much did it cost?

put liberals in the ground

fuck up ignorant fool

It's literally called crop rotation. There's nothing crazy about this. People have been doing it for thousands of years. The only people who don't do it are fucking idiot gooks and retards in South America and Africa.

wow excellent debunkment and rebuttal absolutely 10/10

actually jk kill yourself

/thread

quiet down mr goldenblatt

Replace various crops with perennial crops which don't disturb the soil so much, don't leave the soil bare if there's nothing growing and apply mulch to it to stimulate life in it again. Rotate crops, plant legumes and step away from monocultures which are very intensive.

This is pretty much the truth.

The problem arises when the billions of shitty poor cunts come looking for food on your nice sustainable farm. Think you can fight them all off?

Fucking agrocucks can't into hunt and gather.

Fertilizer you dumb fuck. Basic agriculture

>How did it get like this? Thank God Trump knows literally everything wrong. I swear he is Jesus incarnate.

dont let (((them))) kill him again

>a fuckng savage
>thinking he knows fuck all about agriculture

let the land lay fallow
fagit

Nice try Saskatchewan. Trying to peddle your shitty ash on a Mongolian village burning forum

Let some Pajeets live there for awhile

Bonus point if they bring a sacred cow along

i'm sorry user but calling you out on being an inane faggit does not make me a jew

GMOs will save us

My question is how relevant is ancient farm techniques in the age of large farm equipment?

Potach can't do anything if the soil has no nutrients to begin with

There's a reason Saudi Arabia does not import potash

All nonwhites

And the grain farms of Canada / USA.

They use TONS of fertilizer per acre to get mediocre crop yields, their soil health is like Bill Clinton's, on life support.

I compare this to my fathers farm, who does do crop rotations (pasture grass, deep plow (8'), grain crop for two years, second year grain gets under-seeded with clover and fescue, third to fith year is hay crops, shallow plow (4"), under seed with pasture grasses).. and the grain crops he gets per acre with zero applied fertilizer, makes career grain farmers cry.

Because we don't have a large military

They're going into the food we harvest. The vitamins and minerals in vegetables enter the plants because they're pulled from the soil. We don't let crops fail to allow the soil to rebound, we pull and pull every season year after year.

The issue is that we've pulled so much we've gotten rid of nutrients in the soil that took hundreds of thousands of years to build up. Imagine covering all of our farmland in another 3-4 inches of earth. Covering millions of acres with that. Thats close to an equivalent of what we've taken away.

We could do a lot of things to enforce more ethical farming practices, change subsidies around, but its all a bit of a bandaid. The number one thing we should do is limit production, and we could easily do that if we made the niggers in Africa take care of their own farming needs. Simultaneously try to convince Americans to stop wasting so much food.

Wait I just did a think.

What if you like, physically kept them away from your farm somehow and let them fend for themselves, even if they starve? Like a barrier or something. You could also hire people to help stop them so you didn't have to do it yourself?

I dunno