Dreadlocks

Last thread was deleted for some reason, but I'm making a new one because it was an opportunity to educate people who know nothing about dreadlocks and put to rest common misconceptions.

For starters, no race can claim dreads as solely theirs. It's a style as old as humanity itself and there are mummified bodies found on every continent with locked hair. It is a universal hairstyle that is free for anyone to wear.

To make dreadlocks all you have to do is wash your hair regularly, and stop combing. Anyone telling you to use wax or gel or any other concoction to "hold the hair together" is ignorant. These will cause build up and ruin your hair.

There are different methods to maintaining dreadlocks as well. The neglect method (do nothing but wash), the semi freeform method (wash your hair, neaten up the look of your dreads once or twice a year for a mostly uniform look), and the retwist and/or crochet method (wash regularly, neaten the look of your hair every 4-8 weeks for s completely uniform look by manually twisting newly grown hair into the dread).

These are all the basic of the basics. But if anyone else has questions, anecdotes, or information they'd like to add feel free. I'd like to have an open dialogue about this subject.

I must emphasize again that people with dreadlocks do wash their hair. Sometimes there are awful people who don't and make us all look bad, but they don't represent the majority of dreadlock wearers like myself. Hopefully this thread won't get deleted too but if it does I won't be surprised.

Other urls found in this thread:

thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/Matted-locks-is-their-lsquomane-identity/article15585989.ece
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I guess my OP contained enough info to not warrant a discussion? Ah well.

Bump

who the fuck cares about hairstyles

shave it short if you're a guy long hair if you're a girl it's that fucking simple, this isn't a fashion board either so get the fuck out

I'll buy that there are historical precedents around the world for dreadlocks, but in the 21st century I believe that any white person that wears their hair in this predominantly nigger fashion needs to be gassed. That's my two cents.

You seem angry. I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, hairstyle says a lot about racial and cultural identity. I think it has a place on this board. There are fashion and hair related threads here all the time.

No one cares

What about whites who wear dreads as a call back to their Celtic roots?

My goal isn't getting people to "care" about my chosen hairstyle. Just to educate.

How is this politics?

this isn't Sheneekwaans Hair salon.
Maybe repost back at reddit some giganigga tips.
It be dey 1st o dey munt. dey be gotz payd n shheeeeiiiittt

Dreads are seen as political by many people to be honest. It's a style that seems to illicit strong reactions in people from all walks of life. The far left think non blacks wearing it is cultural appropriation, the far right see it as a "nigger" hairstyle. A lot counter culture white kids wear them to make their parents angry, a lot of black people get dreads as a rejection of white social standards. People also get them for spiritual reasons. Although for me personally, it's just a hairstyle.

Celtic dress - yes
Celtic pagan celebrations - yes
Dreads - no

I expect silky smooth hair on my white women. Length and cut at their discretion. Elaborate braids encouraged.

But that hippie chick that works at the mall who smells like B.O. and incense with greasy hippie dreads is unacceptable.

See

Anyway here is a white person with dreadlocks since I want to be inclusive.

I actually think a lot of what is perceived to have been dreadlocks by ancient Celtic and Germanic people were most likely elaborate braids as well. Although there were also knotted hairstyles back then too. But I'm not white, so I can't pretend to be an expert on that. I only know that any race is able to dread their hair.

>To make dreadlocks all you have to do is wash your hair regularly, and stop combing. Anyone telling you to use wax or gel or any other concoction to "hold the hair together" is ignorant. These will cause build up and ruin your hair.

This is misleading. You can't get dreads by just not combing your hair.
t. Black man w/ dreads

Yes, you can. It's not misleading. Even black people like us can do it, but we'd end up looking like pic related.

Too obvious.

Who does this bitch think she is? Jack Fucking Sparrow?? I can smell her through my screen.

>activate gas chamber

it was deleted because hair has nothing to do with politics.

I think we can all agree though that it looks like a dog ate a bunch of hair and shat strands of it out.

>There are fashion and hair related threads here all the time.

gitoutta her fagit, head to /b

also, wats wrong with this subhuman's legs?

how does washing it even work?

when i think of it i imagine someone trying to wetten thick rope and rub soap on it.

>politics in america

A white person can't just avoid the comb and grow dreads. It doesn't work that way. There are many hair products and much manpower involved in maintenance.

>I must emphasize again that people with dreadlocks do wash their hair.
The reputation of dreads being dirty comes from the difficult process whites go through to dread and maintain their hair, which involves avoiding regular cleaning.

I once have read that in ancient Sparta men make dreadlocks with mud before they go to war.

Anyway i believe dreadlocks only look good on black chicks, whites look like left wing morons

White dreads are an acquired taste.

If hair wasn't political, then we wouldn't stereotype people based on there hairstyles. We wouldn't assume women with neon pink hair were sjw, or men with shaved heads were (possibly) skinheads.

People can lose their jobs or be kicked out of school for wearing dreadlocks here. I think that's silly, but since that is a reality in this country why not talk about it?

It's actually a rinse out. They are dirty people. The fact that OP calls it a wash is a lie and quite telling.

You have it backwards. Whites especially need to wash their hair, every day, if they want to dread. White hair produces oil at a higher rate than black hair, and the oils make dreads unravel. Shampooing hair depletes hair of those oils and helps the hair lock faster.

>To make dreadlocks all you have to do is wash your hair regularly

white women with dreads smell like shit

Dreads that are properly washed and maintained have no build up inside if you cut it in half and run your hands through it. It's just hair after all and you have to wash your hair like any other part of the body. But since the hair is matted up, the process of washing is more similar to hand washing clothes than just plain shampooing. You just keep washing until the water you ring through it runs clear. The most challenging part of washing dreads is actually not on the washing, but making sure it dries all the way through.

hey dick why u ignore my question?or is right?

I answered it here

It's very silly and only one of a million ways america has gone to the dogs.

The only things anyone needs to wrap their head around American politics is:

>60%
>American education

I'm not trolling, Achmed.
I personally know white people with dreads who do a little more than wash their hair everyday.

Dreadlocks are political, they're just not white.

>build up

>just cut one, run your hand through it and check for "build up"

They're dirty and disgusting people. People with dreads are literally so dumb they can't even dress themselves.

ahh, we posted within the same minute

all in all, very inradasting.

What is your opinion on what appears to be "hair" on the aliens in Predator?

America is full of retards this is true. I won't even not include myself since being an American makes me most likely retarded by proxy of being raised in the culture. I'm often shocked at the sheer stupidity of our people.

Never seen it.

All kinds of people wear dreadlocks. From well kept professionals to literal hippies.

As a side note, I notice black women with very small dreads like this tend to have conservative values and be more feminine compared to those with thick dreadlocks.

This sort of topic probably is better suited for tumblr. They'd dox me for saying whites wearing dreads isn't appropriation though.

i obtained dreads by not washing my hair ever

i stole nigger culture by being gross

such a rich culture

fucking hate niggers holy shit

There was one user who was pretty fired up about this in the last thread and I was kind of hoping to hear his thoughts here.

You should have washed your hair. It would have dreaded better.

it was not a fashion choice i had the option to make, who the fuck wants dreads by choice

Culturally speaking I think Hindu Indians probably have the most evidence to "claim" dreadlocks as being historically "theirs" since it's easier to trace it back as being part of their culture and spirituality compared to blacks and whites.

Were you homeless?

A lot of people want dreads by choice though. But if you associate it with that dark time in your life then I can see why it would give you a negative reaction.

>part of their culture spirituality
explain

Frankly I'm not an expert, being non Indian and non religious, but whenever I look up the history of dreadlocks beyond the 20th century, it's mainly Indians who seem to have had it as part of their culture with there being concise religious reasons attached to it.

thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/Matted-locks-is-their-lsquomane-identity/article15585989.ece

You see, friend. Culture is the aesthetic elements to a people, such as the food they eat, or their language. Spirituality is how they feel about something. So therefore dreadlocks are culturally spiritual because Indians get dreads and it apparently affects their mating prospects which feels good.

It's kind of the opposite. Dreadlocks in Indian culture represents letting go of earthly desires and finding inner peace.

nah it's just dirty yogis who gave up on working cuz muh enlightenment
it's not that deep

I didn't say it was deep, just explaining what it represents culturally in India, at least in a Hindu context.

Welp, thread dead. It was nice talking to you all.

her mouth looks like a butthole

That's what all kissy mouths look like