If the roman empire lasted another 1000 years we would be colonizing the stars by now

if the roman empire lasted another 1000 years we would be colonizing the stars by now.

prove me wrong

>protip: you cant

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine#Early_designs_and_modifications
youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DM9yyBck_eM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah, the roman empire never fell. they took to the shadows.

Probably Not. While quality of life took a dip in Europe after the Roman Empire fell, global technological advancement wasn't really halted that much.
Not to mention there is no timeline where the Roman Empire never fell, it was almost inevitable from the start.

A global cosmopolitical empire i think would be dangerous for the entire human race, but we would have had some fucking amazing achievements.

Too bad we europeans rather gets cucked by muds than romans

>Not halted that much

Do you even dark ages?

The roman empire in modern day would look like mexico. Some mega wealthy on top and millions of desperately poor slave class people in a latin culture.

>(((human race)))

Swede posting is sometimes funny, but this is shit.

What's that, anglo?

>Do you even dark ages?
The ((Dark Age)) is a meme.

mexico doesnt even have proper plumbing, rome had sewers 2000 years ago

stay mad mapleshit

Be that as it may, there is no doubt the tech advancements was severely halted after the empire fell

Youre right, autistic weirdos unable to take words anything other than literally does make me slightly mad. But im sure it makes your parents cry.

The Romans were a superstitious lot

It was the Greeks who developed the first Automata - literal robots powered by Steam, before the time of Christ.

>no timeline
this is amor fati, gentlemen. from the big bang, no other outcome was ever possible.

Which dark age? Greeks?

Highly doubtful. Their culture was stagnant as fuck.

They came up with a steam engine but the best they could do with it was to open a temple door. The drive and fever to better ourselves and reach new heights was a product of the renaissance, desu sempai

Which dark age do you think is relevant to the thread subject?

>to stupid to get the point
dont parrot shitty memes about dark ages when you dont understand what they even are

I wonder how the Renaissance compares with the Roman Empire at its height. I know that in 1200s Europe recovered its population and the Renance lead to the enlightenment but were the Romans on the edge of the enlightenment I don't know.

Not true.

The question "why didn't the Romans industrialise?" presupposes that discovery and innovation are linear, when they are clearly not.

It was Jesuit Theology that brought forth Empirical Science, the desire to elucidate God's Laws of Nature as referenced in Genesis. The Roman theology - such that it even was - understood astrology, it understood that big changes in the skies could make big changes down here, but there wasn't a hint that humans could ever understand the Gods or their ways. In fact, quite the contrary, there is a famous passage in the Illiad where Aphrodite gets her arm hacked up by one of the human protagonists, and Zeus just heals it with a motion of his hand, exhorting her to not trifle with the little people ever again.

So, no. We are where we are because of history itself, and the line we draw through that mess is neither inevitable nor predictable.

You guys think the Roman Empire actually fell? They just transitioned into the Holy Roman Empire aka the Catholic Church and the Vatican. You know what's better than being Cesar? Being the Pope and having control over people through life and after death. The transition from the older values and mindset to a solely religious morality set and control of people through Christianity was much more effective. Everyone back then would have seen the world in the same way that modern religious Muslims do. They base everything in their world off of religon and that is the major power in their world still.

>Muslims
>human

If the Ancient Greeks had managed to discover calculus (they were really fucking close) we would've been going to space starting in the 1800s

Yeah, I mean, it was only a gap of like 400 years.
>Leaf having shit knowledge of history
Surprising nobody

How can the Roman empire be ded if we are the Roman empire?

The white people (Germanic tribes) destroyed roman civilization.

If the Roman Empire lasted another 1000 years the year would be 2453.

Rome was incredibly close to having an industrial revolution. They had a functioning steam engine in the Library of Alexandria.
Unfortunately it never happened, mainly because Slavery was the main economic force and investing in machines would be counter-productive in an economic sense.

>If the Roman Empire lasted another 1000 years the year would be 2453.

What did he mean by this?

How the fuck am I supposed to do that?

Nah, Rome was a degenerate shitheap and deserved to fall. The resulting competition between kingdoms during the middle and medieval ages fueled technological growth.

(You)

The Roman Empire was superficially religous for some time and became Christian. So? Those Christian theologians who had the curiosity had to deal with the resistance of the Church at large. The NEET lifestyle of these people is what allowed them to pursue these things. If they were tilling the land they can't exactly study the stars.

>empire
>lasting 1000 years
>implying that the civilization cycle doesn't exist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine#Early_designs_and_modifications

"Functioning" doesn't mean "productive" user. And it was more than just the discovery of a productive steam engine that led to the revolution: it was a profound change in the way of thinking, and the beginning of capitalism.

It doesnt have to. It only does thanks to (((Them)))

Yeah, read my post again dickhead I never said productive. I said they were on the brink of an industrial revolution but it never came, because they never needed one.

Wouldn't the priests start whinging if the Romans tried to build a colony on Mars or any other planet named after a deity?

The Romans certainly were not philosophers. But they were great engineers. Think about the Aqueduct, all the roads, all the bridges, and all the cities they built. The guys were amazing at making anything with immediate practical value.

When Caesar was governor of Gaul, he decided to attack some Germanic tribes up north. The tribes moved across the Rhine, taking a strategic position. Instead of marching across some ford in the river to follow the Germanic tribes, Caesar told his engineers to built a bridge capable of holding his entire army. The Germanics were so scared seeing the bridge finished, they fled deep into the woods. Caesar, feeling he had won the battle, simply told his troops to destroy the bridge so his enemies would never be able to use it or analyze how it was made.

What. A. Fucking. Boss.

>roman
i think you meant chinese

Stop sucking the tiny chink cock.

You're retarded if you really think the fucking Roman "empire" in it's twilight was about to embark on some grand revolution for which there was no impetus, no clamoring, no logic, and no desire.

Here's what happened: a bunch of Visigoths deposed the last boy-emperor and the city fell into ruin and disrepair for over a thousand years.

Meanwhile the Byzantines, who were also Romans, had no fucking steam engine and that shit remained a curiosity into the next millennium.

>You're retarded if you really think the fucking Roman "empire" in it's twilight was about to embark on some grand revolution for which there was no impetus, no clamoring, no logic, and no desire.

Do you lack fucking reading comprehension, user?

good form, pupper

You also cannot prove you're right

Really got my cognitive processes firing and activating the axon of my nerve endings.

good form, pupper

>if

Nothing wrong with admitting that other cultures had their time in the light m8. The chinks had it and now they don't.

Rome and america are extremely similiar, they took in too many non romans and became more ""progressive"" even though it was policy they could only accept foreigners if they served 25 years in the roman military, they started accepting non romans with out service.
Too many slaves as well, the romans became outnumbered in their own country and the only true blooded romans had lost faith in the empire and resorted to treachery and corruption to make money rather than stand up as romans and show citizen ship and care for their country.
Sound familiar?
There are some similairities here, we may not have been as expansionist, but we do get in quite a number of wars, which was a main source of wealth back in the US hey days.

Point is i believe weve reached a point of no return, even trump cant salvage, but he atleast will represent a true american and not go down without a fight.
Good speed Donald, were counting on you

Instead of embarking on this retarded game of where I explain why you're retarded, and you just skip to calling me retarded, why don't YOU explain how the Romans were "on the brink of an industrial revolution".

yeah caesar was a pretty cool guy, but he was also an asshole who bucked senatorial authority.

They failed because they lost their Roman identity and went full multicultural. If anything, it presents an eerie harbinger on the dangers of globalization.

The roman empire was pretty much mid-tier in Empire terms - the Chinese Empire could be said to arguably last until today, and the British Empire was much bigger. If you want to see what the long term effects of imperialism are, look at China, which stagnated and regressed technologically after reaching a peak of sophistication. The greatest thing the Roman Empire was useful for was preserving the philosophy of the Greeks for the west to rediscover later.

BITCH PLEASE

IMAGINE IF ALEXANDER THE GREAT LIVED TILL HE WAS 100

What part of "it never came, because they never needed one." do you misunderstand you troglodyte?
They had a functioning steam engine. Of the like that wouldn't be seen for over a THOUSAND fucking years.
After the Roman Empire fell, technology and science went back hundreds of years. Its a little something we call the Dark Ages. It wasn't until the Church stopped being knowledge nazis and allowed people to study the ancients again that any real progress was made.
The Romans were far more advanced than most middle age societies. I mean for fuck sakes they had better quality drinking water in 170AD than Chicago had in the 1950's.

Don't blame us, blame islam
youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Well they controled easily accessible oilfields until sandniggers revolted

>After the Roman Empire fell, technology and science went back hundreds of years. Its a little something we call the Dark Ages.

Not that simple. That was a factor but there are so many reasons why it fell.
It wasn't the "multiculti" shit that we see today with migrants taking our jobs and breeding with our women, these were Germans and Gauls not shitskins. The reason it was bad was because they still had tribal loyalties, and the Praetorian Guard was made up of these foreigners. Check out the Wiki page for the Praetorians if you wanna know why that is so bad. They basically had full control over the Emperor if they wanted it.

Shitskins aren't humans

>Dark Ages is a term of historical periodization originally meaning the Middle Ages. It emphasizes the demographic, cultural and economic deterioration that supposedly occurred in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.[1][2] The label employs traditional light-versus-darkness imagery to contrast the "darkness" of the period with earlier and later periods of "light".[3] The period is characterized by a relative scarcity of historical and other written records at least for some areas of Europe, rendering it obscure to historians.

I love when pseudo historians try to lecture me on history kek

good form, pupper

Yeah, but they didn't really make use of the steam engine for anything significant. Which proves that an industrial revolution isn't merely a change in technology, but a profound change in thinking too. Also you're forgetting their water was full of fucking lead.
Also, the Middle Ages had some quite significant advances - like an agricultural revolution early on. The church actually did a vital role by preserving texts and a scholar tradition until it could be properly used, if it didn't exist all knowledge would've been lost to warlordism.

Indeed, the antikhera device is another example of ancient ingenuity being lost.

Altho a unified single govt might give the illusion of progress, its the tenacity in the constant struggle for dominance between equivalent players that allows this progress.

Whenever a system takes over, things stale

Technology advanced more in the middle ages than during Roman times.
>inb4 meme sourceless graphic

Rome was also composed by Syrians, Egyptians, and North Aperfricans. Roman Empire was a multicultural shithole just like modern Europe and North America, and it fell because they shifted from ethnonationalism to civic nationalism.

OP is a faggot. Prove me Wrong.

>protip: you cant

Why did the Persians attack the greeks???

North Africans weren't niggers though in those days. Look at Hannibal. Egyptians and Syrians weren't niggers either. They were hellenic/semetic peoples. The Syrians were Parthian/Persian, so yeah they were smelly sand people.

>inb4 WEWUZ

You're literally so retarded, the rationale for the term "dark ages" is included in the part of the wiki you fucking quoted. Also, here's where it continues from there:

>The term once characterized the majority of the Middle Ages, or roughly the 6th to 14th centuries, as a period of intellectual darkness between extinguishing the "light of Rome" after the end of Late Antiquity, and the rise of the Italian Renaissance in the 14th century.[3][4] This definition is still sometimes found in popular use,[1][2][5] but increased recognition of the accomplishments during the Middle Ages has led to the label's being restricted in application. Since the 20th century, it is frequently applied to the earlier part of the era, the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century).[6][7] However, many modern scholars who study the era tend to avoid the term altogether for its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate for any part of the Middle Ages.[8][9][10]

>The concept of a Dark Age originated with the Italian scholar Petrarch (Francesco Petrarca) in the 1330s, and was originally intended as a sweeping criticism of the character of Late Latin literature.[3][11] Petrarch regarded the post-Roman centuries as "dark" compared to the light of classical antiquity. The actual term "Dark Age" derives from the Latin saeculum obscurum, originally applied by Caesar Baronius in 1602 to a tumultuous period in the 10th and 11th centuries.[12] Later, historians expanded the term to refer to the transitional period between Roman times and the High Middle Ages (c. 11th–13th century), including the lack of Latin literature, and a lack of contemporary written history, general demographic decline, limited building activity and lack of material cultural achievements in general. Popular culture has further expanded on it as a vehicle to depict the early Middle Ages as a time of backwardness, extending its pejorative use and expanding its scope.[13]

I completely agree with you. Also, if the Library of Alexandria wasn't destroyed, we'd be colonising the entire Milky Way galaxy by now.

>they took to the shadows.

No they didn't. The Roman Catholic Church is the continuation of the Roman Empire and its seat is in Vatican City.

>limited building activity and lack of material cultural achievements in general

Thank you for proving my point...?

The Dark Ages literally did not happen. The term was invented by Petrarch in the 14th century because his family died in the plague and he was super asshurt, so he blamed the Black Death on the fact that Rome had fallen a millennium ago. Yes, really. In his eyes everything since the fall of Rome was "the dark ages." In reality during that time Europe went from being 99.9% forest and savages in bear skins to being Medieval Europe.

Modern historians use the term basically out of nostalgia, it has near-zero credibility as an actual classification.

->

I mean its only a 400 year gap goy
Its totally a continuation though :^)
>christfags trying to ride off Roman glory

In the year 1000 technology was alredy superior to Roman technology.

>colonizing the stars
>physics
yeh im gona go with physics on this one OP

Source: My Spanish Ass

>the Chinese Empire could be said to arguably last until today,

Lmao

It collapsed numerous times then got taken over by the Mongols then collapsed again many times then got colonized then got shrekt by the Japs

The Chinese certainly had times of thriving but it's ludicrous to assert that their BC empire has continued on to present day

How so? The Chinese weren't as scientifically advanced as the Romans.

Nah for this guy, building castles and palaces and shit doesn't count or something. He thinks the entire Medieval world was like Ironclad or The Black Death with Sean Bean.

I bet this motherfucker's entire education comes from medieval movies.

>christfags trying to ride off Roman glory

I don't adhere to any religion, but Christianity was made an official religion back in the time of Emperor Constantine. The fact that Christianity is the world's most followed religion is an obvious legacy of the Roman Empire.

>provides no sources
>critical of others who provide no source
what a fucking crybaby bitch

Sources for what? Kek
You're the one arguing with me here
But sure, point out what you want to know and I'll source it for you.

>its another "white people are better than every other race" thread

dont you people have anything better to do?

>There is no timeline where the Roman Empire never fell.

What exactly are you trying to imply here, buddy boy?

Reddit is down the hall and to the left.

The empire never ended!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=DM9yyBck_eM

>if

I already told you, and you blew it off with a bunch of bullshit Whatever steam engine they had was shit, you seem incapable of understanding the difference between a demonstrational prototype and something that can achieve 1 horsepower.

Technology did not regress during the "dark ages". Historical records grew scarce and scholars took the knowledge to Europe, Greece and the Arab would where it continued to flourish and be studied. How do you think they built fucking castles? Yeah, with Roman-like cranes and shit. Technology certainly developed in that time.

Chiago drinking water sucked because sanitation fucking sucked and it's was a city of millions. Rome was fucking gross too; if you think the monied people lived in the city you're dead wrong.

Anyway I gotta go smoke this bowl, enjoy trolling.

>Not to mention there is no timeline where the Roman Empire never fell,

Wrong, there are an infinite number of timelines - including an an infinite number of timelines where you're not an autistic virgin.

Oh this again.
If you cant read fuck off. I never disagreed with you. But you seem to completely miss the significance of having a fucking steam engine about 1500 years before any other was invented.
After it was destroyed, along with much of the ancient knowledge in the Library, it took a millennia to get the world back to that level.

Now fuck off you fucking weed smoking degenerate. No wonder you're stupid as fuck.

bullshit

romans invented literally nothing, they conquered, spread civilization but
neither the road nor the aqueducts were their invention. Assyrians and Minoans invented those things before them.

can you give any example of clear romans invention who was breakthrough?

They managed to preserve their civilizational heritage right up until Mao literally obliterated their culture, but they still have pride in it.

You can't colonize the stars, retard. Only planets.

You owe me all your shekels.

And Italians still have pride in Rome

Just because they recognize their heritage it doesn't mean that the empire lasted

Marxism was their downfall

Things Rome invented:
-Paved Roads
-Concrete
-Arches
-Sewers
-The Fucking Julian Calendar (nearly identical to the one we use today)
-Battlefield Surgery
-Grid Based Cities
-Roman Numerals (best numerical system at the time)