Is there anything you can think of that has absolutely no self interest in it at all

Is there anything you can think of that has absolutely no self interest in it at all
Self interest includes
-Your loved ones/family being better off
-Self gratification (like charity)
and
-Ideological and Social reasons (Peer Pressure)

>charity is self gratifying
fuck you and everyone like you. "oh you only do it because it really makes YOU feel good" You know what, I fucking hate the homeless. The vast, overwhelming majority of them are ungrateful, crazy assholes. But I still go down and help out. I bet you think you're supposed to enjoy your job too, faggot

I'm not saying charity is completely self gratification, I'm saying a part of it is so it's not free of self interest

>But I still go down and help out
Way to serve your own self interest by doing something you don't like to prove how "moral" you are.

>t. teenage philosopher
Yes, it is. That's literally the definition of volunteerism. Putting someone elses/projects needs before your own personal interests.

>moral people are only doing it to prove theyre moral
wouldnt expect any less from a sheep-fucker

Choosing to kys if you do not have a minimum IQ of 120, so you can end the genetic line of your shit4brains

>le "there is no truly altruistic act" meme

How's freshman year philosophy?

art

Yes your needs ARE ahead of theirs, but you still get something out of it, feeling that your did something good. You're not wrong to feel good about helping, but after feeling good about something you are more likely to do it again because of the feeling.

I'm not saying you or others do it entirely or even close to mostly for that, what I'm saying is that there is a small bit of self interest.

I'm a mild schizophrenic. Very open to suggestion and helping people.

I don't know why, but typically when folks ask me to do something for them, I do it without questioning it. I feel like a zombie sometimes.

Well freshmen year is nice, but I'm not taking philosophy

It's more to serve their self interest by proving to themselves how morally superior they are to others. "volunteerism" is just self-aggrandizement and mental gymnastics if the cause doesn't directly benefit yourself.

The problem is by your own definition there is no way to disprove your statement. It's completely unfalsifiable.

>There is no such thing as actions with no self interest!
>"Well I helped a homeless guy out I didn't like"
>Heh, nothing personal kid. But showing a lack of self interest IS self interest. Better luck next time!

Idiots actually believe this.

>people who volunteer do it to feel good
holy shit could you be any more of a selfish faggot? of course doing something good FEELS good, a self of self satisfaction and worth, but thats a side effect. No one does volunteer work FOR that effect, you autistic twat. You could argue literally everything from breathing to murdering random people in the street could be a "small bit of self interest"
see
this one got quoted twice for emphasis

130*

>if youre not benefiting from helping others youre doing it because doing it to prove your more moral than others
>t. selfish person and how they justify to themselves being such a piece of shit

Giving your life for family, a friend or country.

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:13

There has to be a slave class in the new age of humanity though

Arguing that self interest doesn't exist in an action is completely unfalsifiable too, by the same brushstroke. You could argue with me, or you could acknowledge that self interest exists in everything you do. It's not an inherently bad thing.
You're holding your ideological importance of intelligence at a greater value than your life. Choosing to sacrifice yourself for your views is still ultimately in self interest.

Everyone and all their actions are innately selfish. When I give to charity it's because I like people or that particular cause, and it's in my self interest to do so. People who claim to act selflessly are in denial or mentally ill.

When you go against your self interests in the favor of somebody else at your detriment.

>You're holding your ideological importance of intelligence at a greater value than your life
Sounds selfless enough

>Choosing to sacrifice yourself for your views is still ultimately in self interest.

Exactly how is sacrificing yourself for your views ultimately self interest? In what way do you benefit by quietly offing yourself in the suicide forest with no one around to miss you?
The previous statement does not support this latter- it appears to be a non-sequitur.

There might not be besides what Jesus did by taking our punishment. I think you need to understand that there is nothing wrong with self interest, unless it goes overboard. What is wrong with a man who wants a wife? What is wrong with a man who wants a house and extra spending money every month? Nothing is wrong with this and is natural.

However there is something wrong with a man who wants extra cash so bad that he was willing to lie to his boss, steal, manipulated, cheat his way to it.

Be honest with yourself, love God more than yourself and you will feel comfortable doing self-interest activities.

What's your reason for doing it though?

>sacrifice
>self interest
choose one and only one. and you talk about mental gymanstics. lmaoing at your world view famalamadingdong
>i give to charity because its in my self interest
and what interest is that? id wager that either
1) youre lying and dont give to charity because youre selfish
2) YOURE the one doing mental gymnastics by throwing out a couple bucks and thinking youre doing good

Self interest can be contradictory. Your views are a part of your unique self, and when you are subservient to them, as in the example of suicide for utility, it's valid to say you are killing yourself in self interest.

This is lame. Eventually you have to beg the question.

How do you know you're perceiving it right? What is your motivation for defining selfless acts to be impossible? You are using your brain and understand it manipulates you into thinking in certain ways, right?

Really, just cut to the chase and realize you don't know dick and these are just word games.

>false dichotomies.
>and what interest is that?
I bought a motorbike for a tuk tuk driver in South East Asia so he could get out of poverty. I enjoyed his company, and even though I'd never see him again, the opportunity cost of not helping him out and him suffering was against my best interest.

No, I'm pretty sure evolving as a more intelligent species is an objective good- a good that you can't really utilize in self-interest considering that you would be dead.

>suicide for utility
For whom is this utility? Well, for the genes species. Will you be benefiting from a world where humans have bred to become more intelligent?

Tell me, what benefit are you getting in this scenario?

>inb4 you benefit by confirming your ideological view and therefor self-serving.

Serve us all and kys faggot

You should ask yourself your own questions. What is your motivation for defining selfless acts to be possible? You'll realize it's for your own moral aggrandizement and you're just having the intellectual equivalent of a big screen tv 1080p naked on the bed 100% volume masturbation session.

>when i give money to a charity its in my best interest
>when i give money to some guy its not
confirmed for being full of shit

>>What is your motivation for defining selfless acts to be possible?

This stupid fucking thread. Are you some sophomore faggot who can't wait to try out their "Philosophy 1301" on Sup Forums?

Why?

Utilitarianism is based on arbitrary axioms. It's just an arbitrary worldview. Sacrificing your life for *your* worldview is still acting on self interest, it's just a convoluted way of doing it.

>self interest prohibits self destructive outcomes

Marmite fag is full of marmite

A rational being does not take action against their own perceived interest. Anyone claiming otherwise is delusional and spooked.

I explicitly said the money I gave to that guy stemmed from my own self interest. How's that reading comprehension?
Y u mad tho?
Because it's in your self interest for your charity to be morally aggrandizing because you didn't enjoy giving to it in the first place so need to justify it morally, if I'm not getting my anons confused.

THIS GUY GETS IT

You know what is also an arbitrary world view? The idea that Utilitarianism is an arbitrary world view.

See? I CAN COLLEGE TOO HERPERDERHERHERHERGURDERBURWERPDEDERILOVEMARMITE

So says you. But why?

>I bought a motorbike for a tuk tuk driver in South East Asia so he could get out of poverty. I enjoyed his company, and even though I'd never see him again, the opportunity cost of not helping him out and him suffering was against my best interest.
>the opportunity cost of not helping him out and him suffering was against my best interest.
>against my best interest
its just fine. hows that shit-like-substance you call a brain?
>yeah! only benefiting youself! thats why i buy tuk tuks for strangers and donate to charity
youre so full of shit, sheepfucker. massive cognitive dissonance

Ultimately because you're spooked, m'dude.

>herp
>country based adhoms
Reddit much?
How is calling out utilitarianism's arbitrary axioms arbitrary?

What makes you think that society itself is self interested?

We're social animals.

>against my best interest
referred to the opportunity cost, i.e not buying him a motorbike.
I never said you're only benefitting yourself, I argued you only act from self interest. The fact you're drawing a dichotomy between self interest and other people's benefit tells me a lot about you.

I'm not mad I was literally responding, it was this stupid thread that motivated me to describe a selfless action.

Does your original post preclude that the action be irrational? I don't think it does.

Listen man, it's been fun, but I've had enough cancer for one night. You are the epitome of a sophomoric fedora wearing faggot who confuses mental gymnastics and use of sophisticated words as anything of substance.

But for real, do humanity a favor and kys. After all, rational choice theory is but an arbitrary world view, is it not?

It doesnt have to be people. The fact you lack that connection tells even more, selfish fuck.
>making myself feel good is the same as doing good
youre quite the repugnant, repulsive little creature

>utilitarianism is rational
>Does your original post preclude that the action be irrational?
My argument was that charity outside of perceived self interest is not only irrational, but for self interest in and of itself.

>feeling good is necessarily in someone's best self interests

>m'dude
>reddit much
>use of the word much
Shits only faggots say

>country based adhominems
lurk more marmite fag.

>argues in favor of rationality
>drops all pretenses of rationality in favor of adhoms
lel

I save earthworms drowning in puddles. Get nothing out of it. Feel stupid for doing it. Still won't stop me.

Either you're acting totally irrationally or you're doing it for moral reasons, and as such are doing it to serve your own subjective morality, earthworm messiah

Neither of those options inherently require self interest to be a valid motivation.

This is a trap question you cannot create any example without questioning your motivations even if you were not conscious of any while the action occurred. Discussing selfless acts alone is reason to doubt that they are selfless. Ex. You did a selfless act to prove to yourself there are selfless acts.

There is a country full of people like these : INDIA

Sneaky Australian trying to change the burden of proof. In order for you to show that there is no such thing as a decision with no self interest, you have to prove that no action ever taken a has ever had a lack of self interest.

All I would have to show to prove that actions without self interest exist is to show a single case. You basically have taken it upon yourself to prove a negative. So it's not the same. You are saying a certain class of actions do not exist, I am saying that they do. All I have to do is show one action, and your point fails.

Take philosophy 101