What is the United States, a Democracy, a Republic, or other?

I've been doing some studying and I've been seeing people describe our government as Republic or Democratic, but I'm not really getting solid answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xpkHkQ2Q_Xo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Constitutional Federal Republic comprised of 50 states which are like country's unto themselves in some regards.

DICTATORSHIP UNDER LITERALLY HITLER

First post most accurate post

Just a pack of rebel scum still defying the rightful Queen over all white North American clay.

>United States of America
>United States
>United
It's a Union you dumb ass.

>states which are like country's unto themselves in some regards
redundant statement is redundant. state means country

We are a Republic first and foremost, with democratic elements. Meaning that everyone can vote but the process of the republic has the final say.

Republic. We just like to pretend that Democracy matters.

We defied the King. The Queen is lame, and has no power.

you guys are just confusing me more
you guys makes the most sense itt, ive heard the phrase "Democratic Republic" thrown around as well.

Hence why we elect the President by electoral college, so no one state can exert undue influence on the rest. A truly genius failsafe on the part of the founding fathers.

Its a republic, why does it matter anyways?

Masonic

Federal republic

how timely
I'm writing a speech on the electoral college and I've heard it referenced as "anti-democratic" and was given a variety of articles that referenced the US as Democratic and or Republic.

Not since the 1860s.

I'm extremely paraphrasing this, but:

A republic relies solely on representatives appointed...somehow. A democracy relies on everyone voting on every single little thing that is to go through the government.

A Democratic Republic (specifically ours) relies on representatives, voted into office by the people, to then do governmental work, such as voting on every single little thing that passes through the government.

The U.S. is a corporation incorporated in Delaware.

The U.S.A. was a constitutional republic.

It's a pseudo dictatorship with possibility to bully anyone anywhere in the world if you happen to threaten their interests.

You might need to take the first step of defining "democracy" and "republic" and the difference between the two.

The democratic elements are there. The people vote for their officials, and representatives. They vote on the people's behalf. A pure democracy is chaotic, and muddled. Millions of contradicting, and ill informed voices. Our founding fathers at the time implied that those who could vote were generally educated, or well informed.

was planning to do so

It's a democratic republic. It is a republic who's representatives are elected democratically. As opposed to pre-Imperial Rome which was a republic who's representatives are chosen from patrician familys. Or the Athenian Democracy where decisions were made by the first 6000 citizens who choose to show up and be part of the government that day.

It's a Republic. No question.

The word 'democracy' doesn't appear at all in the Constitution. The Founding Fathers explicitly H A T E D democracy and wrote several articles bashing it.

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government" - Article IV, Section 4, United States Constitution

NOT A DEMOCRACY
NOT A DEMOCRACY
NOT A DEMOCRACY

It is an empire, a falling one.

Oligarchy.

false dichotomy
republic is a subset of democracy

>I've been doing some studying and I've been seeing people describe our government as Republic or Democratic, but I'm not really getting solid answers.

It's been a Federalist Republic since 1940.

offtopic but what anime is this

also, remember that it was only federal because of the introduction of the federal government. I forget when it was. Sometime in 20th century

Gunsmith Cats. The anime was really short (only made a splash in the West, Japan didn't care much).

Worth watching and reading the manga, though.

>Worth watching and reading the manga, though.

thanks senpai

NP, user.

Good stuff if you're into guns and/or cars.

Has one of the best anime car chases ever too

youtube.com/watch?v=xpkHkQ2Q_Xo

It's both user republic is a system of national government that invests power in the people not in a king or queen etc.
A democracy is the system in which the people choose its leaders.
A country can be democratic without being a republic, the United Kingdom is an example, and a country can be a republic without being democratic China is an example.

It's a democratic republic.

Which is to say, not all republics are necessarily democratic. You could have a republic in which the representatives are not elected, but rather, appointed.

We don't have that kind of republic. Ours has voting input, which makes it a republic of the "demos," aka, a democracy.

In theory, at least.

People who use phrases which imply that "republic" and "democracy" are exclusive of each other are simply uneducated in basic polisci.

I used to masturbate to gunsmith cats.

Dunno why.

>Dunno why

Not truly redundant though the term state and country have become synonymous in modern times. Renaissance Italy could have been considered a country made up of several sovereign states. If applying this context the 48 contiguous states could be considered a country, each state sovereign within the nation state. The term nation state then becomes synonymous with country in this context instead of the individual states.

A lot of scenes were 10/10.

It's just a shame we'll NEVER EVER get any more of it animated.