Shit degrees

Outside of art degrees, what are the biggest wastes of money when it comes to academia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EP-usu0Ls
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Better question, what's actually worth getting a degree in?

computer science

STEM

gender studies

The entire humanities department is a waste

Yeah, computer science degrees are horrible

Any of the "social sciences" which teach neither how to be social or have anything to do with science.

Communication.

All academia is a waste of money. What a scam.

(((Erin Schrode))), every single time, daughter of rich parents apparently, doesnt seem to like the alt-right (whoever they are). Pic related.

She's just got BTFO by Tucker Carlson from not knowing hard science or bothering with things like details. Worth a watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EP-usu0Ls

If you're just going into business, justget a general degree, and take things like accounting, statistics, marketing, shit like that. A couple of business law classes, and economics can't hurt.

College really should be for fields that have specific requirements, like lab work, research, medicine, law, etc. If you just want "a job", you'll need a BA to get in, but it doesn't really matter in what. You can specialize later with an MBA, especially if your company helps pay for one.

In fields like marketing and advertising, all they do is teach you the slang of the industry, so you can fake it in meetings in the first year or so. I worked in a marketing department for over a decade, and the kids with shiny new marketing degrees were useless - the hires who started out as admins usually kicked ass.

For anything like design, photography, art, etc, juts take out some bank loans to live off of, and go intern for free somewhere, and buy an account at Lynda.com. Colleges are woefully behind when it comes to the actual technology and tools of the trade.

Anything like psychology, when your intent isnt to work as a therapist, psychologist or some sort of researcher or author is a waste of money. You knwo where psychology majors work? The HR department.

Anything else, like sociology, philosophy, anything with the word "environment" in it? Just don't bother.

It's a shame, though. There should be humanities, it should just be different.

If you're a law major, and you don't have a passion for law, or don't want to be a politician, change majors. Now. The field is oversaturated with kids with law degrees who can't find work. You'll kill yourself to get through law school, kill yourself again passing the bar...and won't work. Grats. Maybe you can discuss the finer points of law with your fellow barrister.

College is supposed to teach you how to think, so you can walk out, join a firm, and be taught the specific skills they need from you. Specialization is worthless - you'll learn everything you need to the first year on the job. It's better to get solid skills in Word, EXCEL, and Powerpoint, because you'll be using them a lot.

The reality is, most kids in college shouldnt be there. They should be working entry level jobs, gaining skills to get better jobs, in apprentice and paid intern jobs, but nobody does that anymore. A BA is the new high school diploma, so everyone pretty much has to go, if they want to work in an office.

Or, you can go straight into a trade at 18, and be doing well by the time your friends graduate. Plumbers and electricians and guys who drive concrete pump trucks can make a damned good living.

my art degree gave me a worthwhile, cushy career.

Environmental sociology of women's aboriginal history.

Mine does alright.

I agree with this for the most part, with the one caveat being that if you go to a Top-10 law school you will easily find a good-paying job.

That said, you will also be like me: late 20s, mountains of debt, and no real assets to speak of. I wish everyday that I became a plumber's apprentice at 18 rather than going to college/law school. It's really easy to make a good living as a plumber if you are honest, intelligent, polite, punctual, and fair - b/c these trade professions are so full of stupid, incompetent, dishonest scumbags, it's not really hard to stand out and build a successful business.

You can always double down and be a patent lawyer. Black guy in my school did this and he is making bank in DC.

That Paten Bar is hard as fuck but according to him once you get your registration number from the patent office you will never be broke.

Obama's America Invents Act gives away all our patent law to the Chinese.

Nice once, black people.

Haha yeah I was being sarcastic because cs actually gets you a decent job/career permitting you apply yourself outside the program.

I walked in my first Semester lookin to major in Aviation Technology to become a pilot or plane mechanic.... then y uni trys to hit me with $60,000 fees ON TOP of my student loans (aviation majors literally have to pay for all the gas, airtime, and maintaince on the planes).

so I decided to get into Tech, Computer Science field, and I like the fields but its literally nothing but autist. like all the group meetings I went to on campus was like a r/atheism meet up, I literally could not stand the people involved in that field

Now I'm thinking about either doing Construction Managmnet or Comupter Engineering. I wanted to do Elec. Engineering but my school doesn't offer it and I done have the money or GPA to switch schools.

I really like Construction managamnet and its full of redpilled normal people, compared the brony Sup Forums shit show in Tech. but idk what the job market is like for consturcion management.

pick related is literally Tech. Comp. Sc. summed up

>If you're a law major, and you don't have a passion for law, or don't want to be a politician, change majors. Now. The field is oversaturated with kids with law degrees who can't find work. You'll kill yourself to get through law school, kill yourself again passing the bar...and won't work. Grats. Maybe you can discuss the finer points of law with your fellow barrister.

This is not a meme by the way, this is true. Normal people think it sounds prestigious, but it's really just a brutal grind. The worst part is that it just gets worse and worse as you go on. You take the LSAT and think "Wow that was terrible, but I'm sure the rest of it isn't that bad." Then you go to law school and it's even worse. Then the bar is even worse. Ultimately you realize that all your classmates were only going to law school to get jobs at their parents' law firm, and everyone else was just being lied to.

All good. Hard to read sarcasm over text.

>biggest wastes of money
prerequisites

>Black guy in law school

Well no shit, they'd make him Emperor of the Moon if he showed up at Cape Canaveral on launch day

You can literally find everything they teach you in college online without all the propaganda and it doesn't cost you half a million dollars AND you can wake up whenever you want

Just quit being lazy fuckers and learn how to learn

Chinese have been jacking patents long before that law came into play. Besides, that law did bring the patent trolls to heel.

But then you don't get work, my dude. Knowledge isn't the issue.

Best post

T. Environment fag

STEM, and if you can manage the statistics, actuary sciences.

You start your own business. Theres always a niche to be filled, find it.

>not going to Trade school
seen a posting last week for a journeyman electrician fro $25.00 an hour + benefits

No, it gave away our secrets to the Chinese similar to why Bill Clinton got impeached.

Most people don't have the discipline to do that on their own. Those that do can't give the employer any assurance of their competence. And they probably aren't competent even if they think they are, because knowing the material doesn't necessarily mean you know how to apply it.

Exactly.
Why did it took so long for this to be posted anyway? It should have been the first post.

Environmental Engineering isn't bad if you're a girl.

Lots of government jobs for that.

School doesn't offer electrical engineering? What the fuck?

Gender studies. Fuck, almost anything ending in "studies."

studying political science, seeing stuff like that makes my blood boil. Everybody thinks that this is a shit degree because of retards like that. Fuck man I hate my life.

Is Aerospace/Economics a good double major?

Is double majoring worth it? 18 yo HS Senior asking

you could find a subject you like, spend 3 year studding it and knowing everything about it, then go to school, get straight A's, get masters and be on top

Nah just extra work usually for no benefit

Trade school or applied math or both.

ya my school cut half its STEM program for a FUCKING FASHION SCHOOL in the 80's. ill give you the unis name if you want to know more about it

aeronautics and economics don't mix, each will give you a good job in OPPOSITE fields

now if it where Finance/Economics, Aerospace/Physics than you employer might like you

if you're indian

I was a welder but got tired of breaking my back. Went into the military and broke my back more. Got my school paid for by the military and got a comp sci degree. With the combination alot of places were interested in hiring and i have to say comp sci for me personally was a good way to go.

That's too bad, would love to major in Econ, but Aerospace is where the money is at

If you want to do a trade its good money and a simple life. I would highly reccomend it. I just got tired

fine art

any nudes?

>tfw Getting Masters in Public Administration this may

Ready for Government work senpai

I mean if you genuinely like it then why not but otherwise don't.

>That look
Yeah.. I know it well.
I like when women do it.
You know you won, and that there is no comeback except muh feelings or social shitfest towards you.

Ironically, this fails statistics 101. Correlation != causation. What if kids who are more likely to go to college and get a high paying job, are fine without it?
From a purely economic standpoint, good majors are CS, Maths, Engineering, Finance, Accounting, Bio/Physics/Chem.

Otherwise, I would try to do a 2-year apprenticeship at a mechanic, or work in construction. After a few years you can start your own business.

>Public Administration

Have fun listening to lesbians and fags accusing their coworkers of harassment.

I'd hate fuck that yenta so hard she'd beg for annudah shoah.

only if you go to a shit tier law school. pretty much all of my friends landed biglaw gigs with no family ties.

Damn dude. Don't keep switching. Just drop out at this point.

>gets art degree
>hired by professional theatre to make stuff all day every day
>Comfy job, fun job
>Due to the nature of the work required, it won't be automated in the future

You all fell for the STEM meme. Ahahaha!

liberal arts isn't as bad as you think.
my buddy majored in Musical Performance and makes around $10,000 a year by just going to local bars and playing guitar.

true that isn't much but that's $10,000 for just doing something you love. but you have to live in a big town to get any gigs, plus you really need to have good connections with bar owners

Econ is also a well paying major. Way more openings for econ than for aero eng.

I'm about to double down on Construction management, but its ok cuz all the credits I took up to this point can be transferred over to that major so its all good I'm just 1 or 2 semesters behind and tuition only cost $2500 a semester for me and my parents are paying the rest (only $2500 as well)

my job pays for all other expense like rent, food, gas, internet, ect...

I'm a doctor. I make fairly good money and work reasonable hours (I live in Australia). In the coming years hours worked will decrease and income will increase (with increased responsibility).

If I had my time again I'd probably gun for being a commercial airline pilot or get a trade. If I were to go to university I'd do commerce/finance dual degree and get into finance for the $$.

What does Sup Forums think about Geographical Science/GIS?

I'm 27. Can i start over or it is too late?

now are you going to support multiple children and a wife writing plays and making plastic tree's? Is that what you plan on doing until you retire? a 60 year old prop maker...

I don't think he needed to go to college and get a degree to be a musician.

Highly practical, it's being used for analytics, marketing and by the government as well. Might want to combine it with something like CS

Physics, computer science and engineering are the only good ones. Biology is worthless and chemistry needs a master at least to be useful.

What's the new hotness with trade jobs today? People are saying there are too many electricians but there can never be too many right?

Pretty much anything with Studies in the name.

Why would it ever be too late? The first step is wanting a change. The only person that defines what "too late" is, is you.

>Spending my near-retirement years making beautiful prop furnishings for opera houses

Sounds comfy, desu.
(They get paid 6 figure incomes)

>What does Sup Forums think about Geographical Science/GIS?
do geomatic engineering if you're interested in that, can combine with civil eng.

Interesting, I was on track to get that and left after one year. Too much Stefan Molyneux I suppose. What are you planning on doing in government?

Dont take Accounting, its hard shit.

Art degrees are not worthless if you have actual common sense. Good luck sculpting or getting into many areas of design without an advanced understanding of human anatomy from an artistic perspective.

There is a reason why 3D models in games are often god awful. There is a very short supply of artists that are competent organic sculptors.

Degrees that are vocational and/or with practical scientific/mathematic applications are really the only ones worth doing. Things like nursing and IT are much better than media or communications. You just bullshit your way through these crappy degrees and learn nothing, then you don't get a job. I feel bad for the kids who think they can get a half-assed degree in psychology or something and walk into a full time professional job.

I'm EE and Physics. I don't feel unbelievable or God-like

i have an art degree. mfa. and bs. making dough living the dream. have a family all white. nice house. ride a bike. take my kid to school. work with creative brilliant people. inspire the public through dynamic exhibitions and programming. education and outreach enhance local community - .elderly and disadvantaged populations. whats wrong with that ?

STEM is too easy to outsource.

Not a great pick for US kids

>engineering
>medical
>law

literally everything else is pointless to go to college for

tedious, not hard

these are both true. for some time, law's been a dumping ground for undergraduates with humanities backgrounds that want to seek out something more lucrative.

as has been said, if you're in a top 20 program, you'll likely be okay, though you're still in for a brutal grind. if you're not, and you have no passion for the law, you're in for a miserable existence with an astronomical amount of debt.

>basic math is hard

You probably studied too much, or your job is just some bureaucratic bullshit? My friend is 30 and has some generic degree and makes 60k AUD a year after 6+ years experience (peanuts). That's less than an RN makes in their grad program year straight out of uni. Also he gets no satisfaction from his job whatsoever. It's just glorified data entry. Most of those miscellaneous degrees lead to shitty public service bureaucrat type jobs.

I honestly think it depends on the school if ylu exclude vocational degrees like nursing or medicine. for example an arts degree from Harvard likely have more value than a science degree from a shitty state school.

I have a neuroscience degree from a world leading school and my GPA is fucking sad but I still landed an analytical economist position over students who studied economics at a shitty school.

Degrees are fine but what about certifications?

>tfw CRCST and surgery technician certifications
>only 1 year in school and 4k for it
>get 60k a year at least, more if i am willing to travel

>tfw going for RN to suction and trach care for dying negroes for roughly the same wages as you guys

the good news is job security

I did that job during my studies without any certificate. It's the coolest fucking job for a student I could think of.

Everyone on the site hates the construction management guys FYI.

To them you are the faggy college boy who thinks he knows better than them.

Chemistry shit degreee.

How about economics?

Nonwhite here, would a STEM degree be a waste of time for me?

Who cares!? Their job is to manage construction, not suck up to the dumbass labourers and tradies

Local 134 Chicago electrician here. Went into the apprenticeship at 32 after pretty much topping out at $17/hr as a parts guy in car dealerships. Best decision I ever made. I make $44/hr now and all my insurance, pension, and annuity are fully funded by the contractor. I know unions are a sham, but hey I'll take the $93,000 (includes overtime) I made last year.