Depressing Science

What is the most depressing non-fiction science fact you know or books you ever read? I want books that will show me how cruel the world really is. Expose me to the best you've got.

Example of Depressing: Natural selection, competition, deception, sexual psychology, economic observations, playing RPG games and success using cheat codes only to realize that at the end of the road wealth is meaningless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VOMWzjrRiBg
youtube.com/watch?v=B1SkepihYLE
youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus
youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg
popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-08/evolving-robots-learn-lie-hide-resources-each-other
jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/16/3/7.html
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtu.be/VOMWzjrRiBg

This one usually takes the spirit out of people

youtube.com/watch?v=B1SkepihYLE

youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus

youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg

The fact that 90% of the crap pushed nowdays even counts as valid science.

Solar power is a net energy loss.

Nothing can replace oil.

Nothing can go the speed of light.

The fact that research into racial difference between sub-species of humans is actively surpressed.

I used to date a Neuroscientist girl, and she said that the way science is carried out these days with the whole "publish or perish" mentality puts enormous political power in the hands if science journals. These journals actively surpress research that goes against prevailing ideas.

Evolution favors evil and deceit - even in AI.

gee I wonder who's behind those journals

That god exist but is neither good nor evil, heaven doesn't exist there is only a state of existence yet non existance

>Nothing can go the speed of light.
light

Jews are in fact, the master race. Followed by Japanese, then Koreans. Whites are a step below and definitely not the smartest/most powerful race, despite what Sup Forums says.

Revelation Space series has so far been pretty good

Although reynolds gives women far too fair a shake - I can at least brush it off as being thousands of years in the future with widespread gene editing taking place fixing women.

For the most part it reads like someone who's well aware of how elites really work, and the kind of shit these sociopaths tend to do and why.

>then Koreans

wait sorry, I re-read your post and realized you wanted non-fiction, not fiction

Photons have mass and thus travel under the speed of light

Photons are massless.

a depressing fact that most intelligent people probably already know
is the fact that normal/happy people have an optimist bias
so if you give them a logic/memory challenge, and input negative values, they actually do worse than people who are mildly depressed
so say I ask you to remember words and I give you 20 words, 10 are complimentary and 10 are insulting, most people will remember more compliments
so to be entirely logical involves being mildly depressed (and vice-versa)
a true red pill
this probably doesn't apply to the autists of Sup Forums.....

But have momentum

photons do not have mass you mong

Thats not true at all regarding ai

>Massless particles exist

Sup Forums is an 18+ website kiddo. Maybe come back when you graduate preschool.

>Newtonian gravity is correct

>then koreans

It actually doesn't

Selfishness is selected against in social animals, although it always exists in a small amount

Mfw when learned that all our emotions are a chemical reaction. Mfw love isn't a real thing.

Photons have momentum, but no mass.

Jews cut off half of peoples dicks and then suck on them

>light travels under the speed of light

>stars are so far away from each other that even at the speed of ligth it would take thousands of years to reach most of them.

>that there a possibility that we are the only sentient life in our galaxy.

>the moon will eventualy escape the earth gravity

>the andromeda galaxy and the milky way will eventualy collide and create a new galaxy

>earth will eventualy be burn when the sun turn into a red giant

>that humanity will be long gone before all of that happen

>we select for procreation

>if we selected for longer life or intelligence we'd be super humans by now

I've been meaning to get this, need some good scifi. I can't stand the leftest trend you see everywhere though.

a brief history of time

read it

life meaningless from there on out

>american education

actually this is not entirely true

Light will only travel the full speed of light when it is traveling in a vacuum. Light on earth/underwater/in the solar system does not travel the exact speed of light because these mediums aren't total vaccuums. There are atoms in the space between the sun and earth that affect the speed of light.

Even intergalactic space isn't a total vaccuum (from what I have read) but it's pretty damn close when compared to interstellar or inter-solarsystem space

>entropy will eventually kill everything and atoms won't even be able bond

pretty comforting tbqh, jews can't win forever

>i have autism and not the kind that makes you smart
go away

Nazi racial policies that lead to shoa

It's an instinctual response programmed into you by evolution to increase your chances of survival and reproduction.

Your intelligence and self awareness exist as a check on instinctual response because it is not a valid response in every situation even with extremely similar or exactly the same stimuli; again increasing your chances of survival and reproduction.

>Light will only travel the full speed of light when it is traveling in a vacuum.
yes
so something can travel the speed of light

Actually, it is true.

popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-08/evolving-robots-learn-lie-hide-resources-each-other

Welcome to hell.

Marxism degeneracy that lead to Nazi racial policies

Shut the fuck up. Were supposed to pretend to be and dumb. Dont blow our cover you cock.

This depresses me so much.

You're not even allowed to talk about racial difference. On r/science any post even talking about race gets deleted. How can you call yourself scientific if you don't want to talk about something because it offends you?

Look up behavioral sinks and nimh mouse studies and how they might be pointing towards the eventual self propelled extinction of mankind.

It explains degeneracy and what not as a effect of over population.

>>stars are so far away from each other that even at the speed of ligth it would take thousands of years to reach most of them.

To reach most of them is actually impossible. The universe is bigger than what we can see - possibly some 40-50 billion lightyears across, while we can only actually see 13 billion light years. Well, hypothetically and according to current models and theories of the universe anyways.

What I'm saying is that if you traveled a few thousand light years, you would not even be close to reaching most of the stars in the universe, but more importantly I'm just being pedantic because it's Sup Forums and you can't stop me

NIMH gives rodents magic powers.

Lol but it is a literal chemical reaction triggering a response in your body. Sure, your childhood understanding of it isn't true, it's not ruled over by Aphrodite or cupid, but it is an actual response to a stimulus - making it real. Emotions aren't imagined.

It's not true

jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/16/3/7.html

How the fuck does this disprove what I said?

>Hurr durr there is in-species cooperation, dat mean evil not rule
Yeah, faggot, there's MASSIVE human in-species cooperation now and we're causing a mass extinction event and running at breakneck speed towards our own destruction.

>space travel will never be a thing
>we will be stuck using radio towers forever
>quantum physics has proven that we don't actually exist
>our species is devolving

All dogs can breed with all other dogs
Some dogs are stronger than other dogs
Some dogs are smarter than other dogs
>But people aren't anything like dogs or other creatures in nature we're all the same (^:

should've posted the vid
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

worst part is it'll be used to justify climate change/sustainability so we can have EVEN MORE people on the earth doing nothing important instead of culling the wheat from the chaff

But nothing with mass can, and I kind of think of a massful thing when I think "something". So sure, light and information can travel at the speed of light, but it could still be said that "nothing" can do so in any practical sense.

heat death

>WWI.

>yfw a handful of generations of super human and then none because lack of procreation

The most depressing thing I know is the Heat Death of the Universe. Every single star will burn out until the unjverse is just a freezing void filled dead stars and black holes, and after that atoms themselves would simply cease to exist, leaving the universe as nothing. Nothing will ever live there, nothing exists; the universe will probably collapse into a new universe or something.

10 to the power of 20 or so years earlier, the solar system would be dead after the Sun explodes; it would take centuries to reach our closest neighbours to survive; the Andromeda would collide with the Milky Way, showing off a spectacular light display, but no one would be alive to see it; black holes would open up and swallow entire solar systems; the entire universe might be in a false vacuum, which would collapse into a true vacuum, obliterating everything in our universe.

There's a reason space is called the final frontier, because it's the last thing humanity can conquer before the inevitability of the universe's demise

nice bait

>The quanta of light travels slower than light

If it were true, then selfishness and traitorousness would be the winning survival strategies - they aren't. They can't succeed to the same degree that something like humanitarianism or ethnocentrism does, but do continue to exist alongside those.

If selfishness were more successful than cooperation then humans - let alone any other social animal - would never have successfully evolved in the first place.

Selfishness can survive within cooperative systems, but cooperative systems are more successful than selfish systems. If selfishness expands too much within a cooperative system, that cooperative system collapses / is out-competed by other cooperative systems without such a degree of selfishness.

What do you guys think are the odds that the universe is filled with artificial intelligences?

You can have momentum and still be massless

4 momentum - the time component goes like plancks constant over the wavelength

>If it were true, then selfishness and traitorousness would be the winning survival strategies
They are, you naive child. Why do you think the Waltons and Steve Jobs were some of the richest people to ever live? America just flat out declares war on half the world to take their shit and suffers no consequences.

As someone who double majors in mat and compsci, and focusses in AI, I can assure you that this "AI" will not and cannot favor selfishness, traits such as that dont make sense whatsoever when regarding AI

My father works at Nintendo also.

>How can you call yourself scientific if you don't want to talk about something because it offends you?

By being an arrogant fucking idiot, which is precisely what they are.

"Nature neither knows, nor cares." -- Richard Dawkins

The fact that { ∃ time : time ∈ (-∞,∞) }

And yet it still works great evil.

That just means evil and deceit that does survive is better at hiding itself.

>what is real is ''cruel', what is good is ideal, the ideal is unreal, the good is not real

user, you've retreated from this world. Nothing is ideal, you and all of it are things of this world.

Before you completely disregard my background, take this into consideration. The article doesnt even describe the algorithm used to create this AI, but by the terminology is most likely a genetic algorithm. The fitness of the genes is determined by how long they stay near the stimuli, and obviously if there are less robots attracted to the stimuli, there will be a higher fitness on robots with that gene. This in no way perpetuates greed or lying, its just a fucking genetic algorithm. To even begin to relate the fitness of an arbitrary gene in an environment that doesnt relate to society at all is fucking stupid.

It's the currently foreseeable apex of evolution.

>immortal but not immutable
>extremely wide range of survivable habitats
>significantly greater efficiency

If we consider memes and human intelligence to be a sort of 'creature' in their own right, then AI is just a continuation of humanity, not a replacement and not causing our extinction, but rather our propagation.

>tfw the real aliens are not the six-armed squids living on greebleplox prime, but actually their memetic shitposts

Yes, correct

Nature does not work great Evil, man does.

This is what trips me out about atheists who say there probably isn't a God because of how horrible nature is. I mean, beyond the logical error of imposing your own bias on reality, not believing in God doesn't exactly fix the evil. Not saying all atheists believe this either, for the tards who think I'm implying that, I'm just talking about a particular sort.

But what really gets me is that people recognize good and evil at all. It makes me believe there is something to the story of the garden of eden. Something happened to give humans existential angst, shame, morality, etc. and the common explanations fucking suck. Doesn't hurt I've seen UFOs though, so that plays into my view.

The implications of determinism for 'free will'. Free will is denied whether determinism is true or not.
>If determinism is true, all our actions are predicted and we are assumed not to be free.
>If determinism is false, our actions are presumed to be random and as such we do not seem free because we had no part in controlling what happened.

Yep.

shit

I love when atheists mock religious people for saying God works in mysterious ways and then they talk about AI being so smart we wouldn't be able to understand it or question it. It's the same idea in different domains.

That actually gives me hope. Most lefties are worthless cunts. In a low energy future their bitching about having rights to my food or resources wouldn't take and they would all fall into anarchy, get killed or starve to death. Much like nature, the fittest would survive. Thank God my Greatest Generation grandparents taught me how to live a self-sustainable lifestyle. I'll be ok, as will my family.

There are questions to evolution and natural section towards the human mind that we simply can't understand OP.

For example:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY

Don't fall for the
>Darwinian evolution and materialism and perfect explains humans and we're all just wet robots
Meme user

I'd argue that humans suffer from a dissonance between morality and instinct in many cases, and the result of this is what we call evil or sin. For instance, females of different species will 'cheat' on their life mates during some fertile periods and yet when humans do it we recognize it as evil. So in all honesty it's far more complicated than anyone in this topic is even recognizing.

The actual answer is that both determinism and non-determinism are true at the same time.

America doesn't have to subsist in a low energy future ;)

Can confirm. Best bud is an evolutionary biologist and he sees it every day. Any research that proves the races are indeed different subspecies and goes against the narrative that we're all the same is heavily suppressed.

Jesus …

More evidence that academia is largely unnecessary for intellectual progress.

This. People really need to learn about the Philosophy of Science and its history. Fucking pseudointellectual faggots take this shit as gospel.

The soft sciences are all /trash/. Psychology, sociology, etc all have about as much value as the Bible in explaining the nature of reality.

It's a selfish action that benefits the person committing it only so long as nobody else finds out.

As soon as it's common knowledge the selfish survival strategy stops paying off.

Either way I'm not worried. Plus I know how to convert my older model mustang to burn alcohol and how to make alcohol that is sufficient enough to burn in it. Fuck walking.

Define evil faggot.

You're as full of shit as a New Delhi street

My point is that it is an amoral act only called evil due to some aberration in humanity. Explaining some eugenic selection process does nothing to explain the fascinating advent of morality.

AI will never reach a complexity to the point we will never understand them, and I have never heard anyone say "AI will become so smart they will surpass us". Never will it happen. People that say we have made strides of progress in AI arent lying, but we are enormously far away to ever considering the fact that AI could become sentient. Right now its completely out of the question, straight up impossible, it is a logical fallacy. You have to consider the fact that computers are I/O machines, so are AI. The human mind is a state machine, not an I/O machine. Physics is comprised of systems, computers are not.
>bbb-but what if they get really smart! and learn to code themselves!
Wont change the fact that they will never be a state machine. That will never change the fact that in the end, it is just an algorithm.

free will doesn't exist, everything is cause and effect and consciousness is not under the control of a conceptual self

>Never will it happen.

There's a little something called the problem of induction. Or go read the black swan. You make too strong a statement. Uncertainty is the rational position to take here.

Does it really matter that much what academia deems is goodscience or badscience? You have to basically prove things mathematically within papers before publishing. If you can do that you're already right.

You just need an alternative way to get this information to the masses. You can throw it up on a personal website and kiss your reputation goodbye or leak it.

>natural selection is depressing
why? do you see yourself as one who is not strong enough to compete and survive?

>Heat Death of the Universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

>False Vacuum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

Good. This will set humanity back to the 1600s. Life will actually have meaning again.