Stratego

So I've already taught my 9 year-old son to be a fairly competent chess player, and a remarkably good one for his age. He spends enough time on xbox, and I'm trying to show him things that expand his mind and increase critical thinking. Is Stratego a good option? I loved it as a kid, so I'm thinking nostalgia may be blurring my perceptions.

Any Sup Forumsack fathers out there have any suggestions for games that increase a child's intelligence in a (preferably) non-digital format? I suppose some PC games might be alright, but I don't want this to turn into some cheesy 'redpilled vidya' game and I really need to get him away from that xbox live cancer.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Hungarian_chess_players
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1275/221b-baker-street-master-detective-game
sjgames.com/awfulgreen/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

my brother used to kick my ass at that damn game when i was growing up

Goddamn spy got me everytime. Hours of fun, though.

Poker is a good one.

Scrabble, Boggle, etc.

Would also try Go.

As an aside, Xbox isn't necessarily bad. You just need to stop buying him Call of Doody and go for strategy games. Get Tetris on that machine.

>stratego is ok
risk is god-tier
Maybe take him shooting so he grows up to be a man

I been playin rise of nations for over 10 years meself

Teach him Go!

>non-digital format
To be honest they are pretty good. An rts can teach you about resource management, teamwork, and preparation. Play some aoe2 with your kid and make it a learning experience. Teach your kid to create a diversion while you curbstomp the AI town from another side. Later on, make your kid come up with the strategies himself. You can do this kind of stuff with plenty of games.

risk is great for learning to plan around certain elements of chance

chess and stratego are pure logic/strategy but the dice rolling in risk requires you to plan for unexpected losses and potential miracle pushes forward.

City building games to give your kid an insight into how cities work, for example. Just don't let him play brainless games like cawadooty.

mastermind is a good test of whether he has innate STEM potential, but if you have him playing chess at above average skill, he is probably already too old to get much mileage out of it.

Stratego is great.

Go is the most complex game

>chess
>a game where if you are not in the top 1% you copy their moves
waste of time desu, chess is a meme

tfw no hungarian chess champs

Age of empires was really fun for me as a kid and it forces you to understand strategy otherwise you have no hope of winning the game. It's tops out once you understand the game though and can be really addictive and time wasting so tread carefully.

I play conflict series on android . Look for it on jewgle play . Best war game going

t. Low elo cuck

>I can learn chess from a book so I am intelligent
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Hungarian_chess_players

This game right here is even better than risk. It is the pinnacle of board games. Teach this to your son and his friends one night. Used to play this game over multiple nights back in high school

teach him programming

>hungarian chess players
>no champions

have you looked at raspberry pi or arduinos?

Go! fuck yourself ahmed

Stratego is great, but the problem is that inevitably you wind up losing some of the pieces, and then the game is unplayable.

The game is set in WW1 Europe. Its Risk on steroids.

>go
literally meme-tier
chess is superior in every way

SEEK OUT THESE OLD BUT KICK-ASS GAMES
Twixt
Very simple but very good. Just make a line from one side of the board to the other, as your perpendicularly situated opponent tries to do the same thing.
Feudal
Like chess but with variant moves.
Ploy
Chess variant that lets you change how the pieces move as you move them in a systematic way. Pawns can move one square in a straight line, but as you set one pawn down, you rotate it, so it is set to move one square to the left, and thus guards that area.

God tier
>Chess
>Axis and Allies 1940 global

Great tier
>Risk
>Axis and Allies 1941
>Axis and Allies 1914
>Trivial Pursuit

Good tier
>Stratego
>Monopoly

Shit tier
>Scrabble
>Boogle

JUST tier
>Checkers

>Checkers
good game when he's in hi shool and has girl over

So I take it you don't have a car because after all something might happen to it?

What? That's a complete non sequitur.

>when he CHECKERS her tits out

>tfw nobody wanted to play games with me in elementary school because nobody else in my class knew how to play chess and only played checkers

give him DMT

try some word games op
give him nootropics

221B Baker Street was the first game my parents gave me that really made me think instead of just rolling dice and reacting to that turn's move. Too bad it's not very popular anymore.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1275/221b-baker-street-master-detective-game

One thing to keep in mind is that if your kid is more advanced than most his age, you'll need to make time to play these games with him as the dopey neighborhood kids are going to call him names for being intelligent.

Loved that game. I remember I used to always pick blue, and let my dad have red. I would always face his back to a window and I could see the stickers through the plastic, I could pic out which ones were the bombs. My dad figured it out, and started to color the back of them black with sharpie, but I convinced him not to.

So the red pieces only had 1 bomb colored black. It was funny because the other player knew it was a bomb, and you could use it to your advantage placing it somewhere in the back leading the opponent to believe the flag was in a certain spot.

A lot of nostalgia. Sorry for my blog post

LOL, playing AOE 2 right now. That one is the best

Get him Med II, Rome total war (not Rome 2 cycles edition) and Age of empires 2.
Stratego revolves to much around chance and most games I played were won by totally fuck all strategies where you balls to the walls with a line of scouts, then 6/7s then scouts/sappers, then 8s and 9 with a spy in reserve.
It's not really a strategy game as much as it is a game of chance, chess is better because it requires more logical thinking and strategy recognition.
Stratego is no plan = best plan.
Chess is a win from move one type of game, which makes it a good game.

Axis and Allies/Risk is always good.
Risk is good because it's tempers strategy.
Chess is too unrealistic because there's only one variable, it's highly logical though, risk is better because it teaches you to handle probabilities and how to recover from losses. Chess is just gaining initiative whereas risk a geographic dance, an ebb and flow of nations.

*cucks edition

starting at age 10-11 you could probably start showing him contest mathematics
honestly funnest shit I've done in my life, exciting, competitive, and although most kids doing it are asian community is pretty chill all in all

you can start by looking into easier contests like mathcounts and amc8. entry level really isn't high, really develops intellect and problem solving skills

it is not at all related with the meme schools call math

Is that a Catcher in the Rye nod?

weebs see an animu about go and thinks its god gift to man.
would probably be better to teach him a game that he will be able to play with real people.

This, my father got me into Starcraft 1 and I loved it even as a kid.

Play this game.

sjgames.com/awfulgreen/

Axis and Allies is the rich man'a Risk

I know you said no video games.. but what about something like civ v?

Came here to recommend Age of Empires aswell. Just started playing the first one with a friend on lan, best 2 rts ever imo.
The HD patch is a must in both games though

Settlers 4 is also among my top favorite rts, but the graphics might be too off putting for a kid today.

>civ v
nice meme

Public Assistance

look it up

Teach him dungeons and dragons.

It honestly changed my life. I've learned incredibly important leadership skills from becoming a better DM and it allowed me to pursue that through creative team building exercises and group collaboration.

If your child, like me, has a warm heart but the eyes of a leader; DnD is a must.

It will teach him about magic and turn him into a satanist child sacrificer

Teach him riichi mahjong
Game is like poker but with more strategy

It will teach him about magic and turn him into a meme magician at a young age and he might turn out to be Kek's Prophet.

Would you deny your child that fate?

Hive.

It's sort of like a mix of chess and dominoes and the pieces look cool as fuck.

Why do people idolize chess and other shitty 100 year old games? Chess and this "stratego" game are simple games on a 2 dimensional field with a very limited set of rules. the X-Box he "spends enough time on" is infinitely more stimulating to the intellect as there are gigabytes of code required to contain all the rules instead of just something easy enough to memorize.

face it, you're living in the past. he will continue to play xbox and his mind will develop exponentially faster than yours did.

Wow, haven't thought about that game in twenty years. It's fun and cozy.

Most console games hold the player's hand too much. Not many modern games are actually good at stimulating complex thought patterns.

to be fair I taught my daughter her states by installing Equestria mod for Victoria 2.

Op, be sure to use a mix of game types. Throw in at least a few German type games to broaden his understanding of goals and outcomes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame

>A Eurogame, also called German-style board game, German game, or Euro-style game, is any of a class of tabletop games that generally have indirect player interaction and abstract physical components. Such games emphasize strategy, downplay luck and conflict, lean towards economic rather than military themes, and usually keep all the players in the game until it ends.

diplomacy is awesome

>Despite its relatively simple rules, Go is very complex, even more so than chess, and possesses more possibilities than the total number of atoms in the visible universe. Compared to chess, Go has both a larger board with more scope for play and longer games, and, on average, many more alternatives to consider per move.

Teach him poker or parlor mahjongg. That'll teach him some jewing skills that he'll need later in life.

inject him with cocaine

Total war series on PC. Great history games with a lot of strategy involved.

Back in elementary school I found an old checkers board in a closet

We ran regular tournaments, it kept us busy during the winters where we couldn't go outside

Stupid christcuck gtfo

But my priest comes to my D&D games.

He plays a rogue.

Mathcounts is pleb tier.
Olympiad is patrician, everything else is still meme math you refer to but at a greater difficulty.

he buggers children and buys cocain with the offering plate then

Chess is the more beautiful game, go is the more complex.

Puzzles are a simple yet effective way to improve your Child's intelligence at an early age.

For Computer games, I suggest Hearts of Iron, Crusador Kings, and Total War games.

.... also speaking of Chess, being the worthless unemployed manlet I am, I have way too much time on my hands and have been considering looking into Chess and have been looking into books or anything for that matter that could help me improve. Any suggestions?

A game like Command and conquer red alert 2, or command and conquer generals would be pretty good

Careful, you get abducted by aliens when you play that game.

>Any suggestions?

Get a daily chess problems app on your phone. Don't worry about deep strategy unless you want to play competitively.

But he's so old he has to wear a catheter and I'm his only parishoner.

Are you really satisfied with him being a mere meme magician? He should be aiming for meme archmage at the very least.

Sup Forums is a christian bord

age doesnt stop soros and hildawg from doing that

MAYBE

he gives the cocaine to someone else to bugger children while he watches

>he gives the cocaine to someone else to bugger children while he watches

)))fuck he's onto me(((

a fuggin leaf

what about axis and allies? My brother used to shit on me in that game

Kek, always watch for the spy.

OP, Chess is really a great lifelong game. I started around 11-12 and I'm currently around a 2000 USCF.

It's helped me a lot in developing critical thinking skills that've transferred over to other areas.

Get him books (IM Silman has a ton of great ones) and an ICC or Chess.com account. Chess.com has a lot of resources for tactics, puzzles, correspondence, online live, etc.

This is the one. Seriously. Your kid will grow up to be as shrewd as Henry Kissinger.

For non-digital, as lame as it is, Magic is actually really good for this if you get really into it. When you get into the intricacies of the rules and how they work with each other it gets really fucking intricate. Me and a couple friends starting playing when I was in the Army thinking it would be a goofy game that we'd get hammered and play a couple times, and within two weeks we were having hour-long arguments about which rule resolved first and shit like that.

For digital shit, Rome Total War (the first one) is actually really good for learning basic battle tactics. And any of the Paradox Interactive games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, etc.) are super complex and require a decent amount of thought. Probably a bit much for a 9 year-old though.

Play game from weeaboo yugioh knock off with gay boys and ghosts
Or
Play game from anime about deposed prince who seeks to take down a corrupt world government and free a land from long time oppression with magic and giant robots.

I am olympiad level/prospective imo, but i still started with pleb contests and they were really fun

do maths, it develops a lot of the skills games do, but the hard part is stirring the proper interest

Play this with him its a damn good time.
>pic related.

>stratego
fuck i haven't played this in so long

Get Twilight Struggle. Best 2 player game you can buy

>All these people recommending Total War
I mena it's cool if you want to give your child a very general and vague historical background (except for RTW, which is mostly composed of "cool" bullshit factions) but it isn't specially challenging nor does it require much skills tto play, even online
Chess, Risk, Stratego and even AoEII are better for that

poker.

It's more complex than chess, but in a bad way. I find it boring they only way to graduate from a 9x9 board is to do a bunch of tedious puzzles. You might actually need autism to like it. Fun fact, Nintendo's president before Iwata could play igo at a professional level.