Why is the electoral college in each state "winner takes all"...

Why is the electoral college in each state "winner takes all"? Why wouldn't the delegates be spread out in each state by population density? Why should someone win all the state's delegates if 2 thirds of the counties want someone else?

>Why is the electoral college in each state "winner takes all"?
It is not and the states decide for themselves.

It isn't winner takes all in every state, you fucking leaf.

Essentially it makes the state more important to campaign in (because a smaller vote differential can yield greater electoral votes), which is why only 2 states don't do winner take all.

I am aware of Maine, and one more I forget right now, but still, wouldnt that system be more democratic. Why is Florida, a state that is super close everytime given all to one person?

Because fuck cityshits, that's why.

Some states do split the delegates, the decision to do so is left up to the states. This is a republic based off of a confederation, and retaining that structure of states' rights is the reason why we're not cucked like you leafs and the eurofags. The rural people get a say, to an extent. You guys let the cityshit pleb hoards rule you.

Because the entire point of the Electoral system was to focus on states. Split up the electoral votes proportionately and it is no longer about the states.

because if it weren't winner take all, candidates wouldn't be dropping millions into their economy every 4 years

We are a republic and typically disinterested in that which would be more democratic on a national level.

Hmm this makes sesne. I am really used to the Leaf system where we have ridings. Ontario is divided in ridings that each have their own "delegate", but we are not a republic, so this makes sense. I never realized just how divided you Americans are by state borders (don't mean this as a negative)

I see what OP is getting at
electoral college for states would mean big cities don't decide for the entire state

have one vote per county
places like WA would go red because of it

every state would be red except new england and CA

One of the best things about America is there is undoubtedly a state that fits you just fine, it just may take some moving.
The states make that possible.

This is actually a decent idea but it could give some ridiculous results in which sates go one way when the population votes the other way by massive margins.

Look at FL and NV, very conceivable that you could get a 10% advantage to the DNC and still have the GOP win the majority of counties. Interestingly the South could go the other way, looking at SC and MS.

Well maybe not 1 per county, because backwood counties have much lower population, but like multiple counties that add up to some assigned amount of population. So maybe a few country counties would get 1 delegate, while a big city might get 3. The City I live in here in ontario has a big enough population to get the equivelant of 6 electoral votes, and I have to vote in the quadrant of my city's voting center, because my vote contributes to my quadrant's delegate's vote.

The current system is not broke and does not need fixing.

1. Money, if you have a winner take all you get candidates spending big money in order to win a state like Florida
2. Partisanship, the electorals are supposed to be a non-biased position, but no one really follows that and instead heavily favor their party. California is deeply Democrat, and ran by Democrats. If they change to proportional, they're just giving republicans votes. By being a winner take all they ensure their candidate gets all the electoral votes while denying the opposition any in the state.

>one vote per county

So a rural county with 15000 people has the same voting power as a county with over 1 million?

You would be in the same situation like now, even worse for liberals.
The whole argument is the elector per population should be equal. Every state would be red overall.

this is how the electoral college used to work, then the dems fucked it so liberal cities could take the state. almost all states were winner takes all by 1880. now the dems hate the electoral college that they fucked. thing is, even if it worked how it was originally intended trump probably still would have won because it was specifically set up to offset cities and trump BTFO clinton over almost all of the landmass of the US. she would have gotten even less electoral votes because she literally only got big liberal cities.

basically already happens with california and Wyoming

Another point of the system was to prevent a tyranny by majority, and balance it out so that things would not be controlled by just the population centers. It was a way to to try and equalize things.

The founding fathers at no time wanted a democracy, as they feared what mob rule could lead to. Thats why the United States is a Republic and not a Democracy.

just my way of saying fuck you to leftists
they gerrymander in their favor frequently
cities like LA and SF shouldn't control how the rest of CA operates. clearly it hasn't worked

Why doesn't the electoral college just automatically give 400 votes to the Democrats before the race begins?

Why don't we just make it so that only Democrats can vote?

Hey, why not take it one step further, and we just abolish the electoral college altogether? Let's make it so that only Democratic states get to choose who the President is by using the "popular vote" (which is always going to be strongly Democratic, since most people live in cities, and most cities are Democratic because of all the illegals and dindus)!

Splitting the votes by congressional district makes gerrymandering a more significant issue. Also fuck liberal city scum.

Are you retarded? Do you have basic reading comprehension? The system I implied would benefit Republican's more than Democrats. Trump would probably win ~10 or more votes in California

why are the world's dense population centers both full of the most welfare leeches and the most communist pinko liberal-leftist shitters?

They would get a few votes from California and New York.
The Dems would get a lot more from the cuck cities in red states (like Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, etc). Cities are always left-leaning, and 80.7% of Americans live in cities (less in red states). Gerrymandering the situation to give even MORE power to cities is just another Trojan horse for giving more power to lefties.

Without using the we're a republic argument that is valid

We're too geographically and culturally different so it makes sense to make the candidates have to win a majority of the country geographically.

You actually don't realize how much people care about what state they're from excluding cosmopolitan population centers.

Yeah but then country areas in states like California could at least chip away at those 55 votes.

That would pretty much result in just being the same as the popular vote I'd imagine

the electoral college is a balance between population and area. I saved this image from another thread and I think it explains things pretty well. Praise be to the user who made so many see the light

fuck forgot the image here

I apologize, you are right. I'm sorry for calling you retarded.

Senators were also appointed by state legislators, which actually makes sense imho

shilldog lost the majority of 51 elections

I dunno Canada, why is your federal election in each riding "winner takes all"?

This is how a modern first world country operates. It recognizes that people that live in different parts of the country have different ideals and it's unreasonable to suggest that the like-minded urban city centers should be able to outvote the rest of the country on every matter.

Do you want downtown Toronto and Vancouver deciding everything for your entire country? Do you think they have any understanding of what goes on in, say, Alberta?

But thats pretty much the case for any state hillary won? Big cities winning over the rest of the state that is geographically red. Maybe you can come up with some equation that uses geographical area and population. I guess this is all convuluted and more arbitrary

why are you complaining you fucking leaf.

the electoral college is in favor of democrats