Nasa and Stephen Hawking are working on a nano-starship that can travel 1/5th the speed of light

If aliens are really exploring the universe wouldn't it be logical for them to be using really tiny ships to do it? E = mc 2 and all that. Reduce the mass and your energy requirements drop.

What does a theoretical physicist have to do with engineering?

They can help the engineers with what happens to shit when it is traveling at a fifth the speed of light.

What a fucking stupid question

>They can help the engineers with what happens to shit when it is traveling at a fifth the speed of light.
No, they cannot. There are zero relativistic effects at 1/5th lightspeed... plus, engineers aren't completely stupid kids who cannot punch in some numbers for 10secs.

I don't know. He's sticking his nose in all kinds of topics these days. From climate change to nuclear weapons.

It's got nothing to do with E=mc^2. It's a question of F=ma.

Sorry I really was talking out my ass there.

This may be a surprise to you but physics tends to overlap with engineering. A lot.

>What a fucking stupid question
Then you will be able to say what a theoretical physicist can help with an engineering challenge as the one in the heading of this "article" written to get the attention of the plebs.

>Stephen Hawking

it's literally and I mean LITERALLY fucking nothing

>Zero relativistic effects
>ever

Not true. Newtonian physics is always technically inaccurate so some degree at all speeds. It is probably worth considering at 1/5th the speed of light. Plug that into a Lorence-Einstein equation and you will get noticeable relativistic effects.

>This may be a surprise to you but physics tends to overlap with engineering. A lot.

Modern theoretical physics has zero overlap with actual engineering. Sorry to burst your bubble.

>E = mc 2
Can you say that in American, please?

Stephen Hawking is just a crippled vegetable man with a walkie talkie. The government are the ones who actually speak when he has some announcement.

No problem mang. Just remember E=mc^2 doesn't account for motion. Increasing speed is directly proportional to increasing energy, so having only mass and a constant as factors doesn't cut it.

So energy in a moving object (I think) is mc^2 + (mv^2)/2

(((theoretical physics)))

Jesus?

I'm more interested in the kind of laser array they'll have to construct to be able to propel it. And it'll most likely have to be in space, so we'll have to deal with a giant laser being in orbit from now on

Hawking and NASA are both carrot sticking frauds. Still waiting for flying cars.

>It is probably worth considering at 1/5th the speed of light.
As an engineer I tell you, at 1/5th is minimal. As fast scale communication over large distances isn't really possible anyway, the minimal time dilation effect at 20% c isn't relevant. Not to mention every 8 year old can account for that effect when working on an engineering project.

Once again, what in the world would Stephen Hawking have to contribute to such an engineering project?

A theoretical physicist will have a significant amount of knowledge of areas of physics that overlap with engineering, or at the very least

>that ID

I envision hackers turning it around a lasering targets on earth. Shit would be so cash.

What good is a nano-starship? Is he going to try to punch a hole through a black hole so he can prove we're all inside the belly of a terrible machine that exists to make us suffer?

>A theoretical physicist will have a significant amount of knowledge of areas of physics that overlap with engineering, or at the very least

And yet engineers do not need them one bit for their projects. Guess why.

Plus, when we're doing something as novel as sending things light years away, there's going to be a lot of wacky physics.

Plus, Stephen Hawking is highly regarded as a great mind of our time. He's the perfect person to get technical and financial interest in to the project.

>nano
>shooting grains of rice with megawatt laser beams for shits and giggles
We could have a moonbase if you guys weren't fucking around all day.

Globegoys probably believe this

If hawking is so smart why hasn't he cured himself?

we /Austin Powers/ now

Nah, he is too fucking stupid. After all, he responded to a question with that fucking stupid statement.

>says a man who can't fix his nano in brains

Keeping thousands? Tens of thousands? of miniaturized satellites over multiple light years seems like it would take some pretty careful calculations to make if things are to work out right. It's not so much the speed as the distance.

Well, what are they doing with it? If they are shooting it out to a very far away target, you might eventually need to account for relativity. The farther away the target the more an insignificant relativistic effect becomes important.

As for what he can bring to the table, well that's a good question. Perhaps it has something to do with the interaction between the craft and the laser. There are all number of things that it could involve, but why you need Hawking and not your run of the mill physicist to do them is beyond me.

>be nasa
>ask hawking a question about crazy space shit that hasnt been done before
>mfw

I had a thought, while he may not have anything to do with the actual movement of the craft, the spaceship will have to be very small; like 1 gram small. So perhaps he'll have something to do with the micro/nano-electronics onboard and the quantum mechanics that might be necessarily involved in those devices.

>Sup Forums's next prank

nothing, getting him involved increases public interest and public interest gets mo money fo dem programs

his speech computer is self aware and talking for him dumbass, that's why "he" keeps warning us about machines taking over

>sees flag

Why am I not surprised?

Hawking is a good face of the mission. I mean, as far as scientific acumen is concerned. He can definitely get more interest in the project than some run of the mill theoretical physicist.

I dont believe NASA or Hawking are doing an of this shit. Its fucking lies man

>nano-starship

>another news article about meme science man Memephen Hawkmeme
>it's once again about something dumb and sensationalist that has nothing to do with rigorous research
why is that 4-toothed cripple such an attention whore?

gotta remind people that the flesh puppet is the smart person on the planet.

Feel like shit yet goy? even this guy in the chair is better than you.

Yeah, that's what bugs me about this. I've never known an engineer to need a physicists help unless you are dealing with devices that operate on principals only a physicists would be educated on e.g an MRI machine.

My guess is this is for publicity. However if relativity does come into play...

What about the interaction between the craft and the laser?

Honestly, I don't know. But they are probably dealing with things above our scope.

>E=mc^2 is about speed

>0 relativistic effects at 1/5 c

kek

I'd quote more stupid shit ITT but I think I'll just refer you to pic related

Because Hollywood is also theoretical science.

Think about the distances we are talking about. The computation time and the fact that you're piggybacking a signal thousands of times across 4 light years of space.

Apt

Well, think about it. It's a craft that can supposedly send information back to earth, but it's smaller, cheaper, faster, and can be fired frequently by all kinds of researchers.

This might be something important.

nothing leaves the dome

Yeah, the publicity might be important... But why? Surely an investor with enough capital to be relevant in this project isn't dumb enough to be wowed by a name, right?

Exactly, and think about how small those transmitters will have to be on a nanocraft, whilst still being able to send a signal strong enough to transmit useable data

dude I might be from another timeline, stephen hawking died in november, I remember the news had a memorial for him and shit, no joke, they showed a collage of his photos from college on up, this is getting fucking spooky man.

>tfw to intelligent to work for nasa

We can't leave this planet, and we never will.

These morons will never tell the truth about the earth...

Go to bed Stephen

Nein Hans, du bist einer WRONG.

More of a satellite then really isn't?
Obviously the media wouldn't give a shit about small differences
If only we could launch faggots like you into space

>quantum mechanics don't matter
>special reactively doesn't matter
>engineers don't need a theoretical physics to answer questions
Why the fuck wouldn't autistic engineers not want to talk to autism incarnate to make something go 20 percent the speed of light?

>tfw too intelligent to cure yourself

this.

>Not doing chemistry anyway

Smartest: Physics, Math, Chem
2nd Smartest: Physics, Math
3rd Smartest (me because I did literally no homework until later year 11): Chem, Physics
4th Smartest: Chem, Bio
Niggers:Bio
Literal apes: None of the above.

>More of a satellite then really isn't?
Yeah? And?

>E = mc 2 and all that. Reduce the mass and your energy requirements drop.
no. in space other than when close enough to a large object there is no real resistance in large swaths of space. no gravity or drag

e=mc2 has no place in this nigger. that would be referring to the mass to energy conversion or vis versa

also 1/5 the speed of light is beyond what they can achieve

because he doesn't know anything needed that they don't

Your being a bit presumptuous don't you think?

Holy shit I remember that too. I distinctly remember the headline that read "Stephen Hawking dies in his sleep and so will your mother tonight if you don't reply to this post."

>Meme scientist will work with meme science company to discuss how to bring a meme into realty
What a surprise !

>autistic fucks at Nasa wouldn't want to work with Le self propelled autism

Geology, a rank separate from the rest. We do the least work to make the most money, get shitfaced and looks at cleavage.

serious question
is hawkings just a retard being wheeled around and someone else uses his mic?
always been curious about it

is it gonna be piloted by a manlet

No really, everything they need to know has been taught in school for most of a century. Hawking has no special unique insight that is necessary, he's just a meme physicist who's famous because he's a cripple who really wants to be famous.

>b-but he's le intilijant sisnse man

I mostly post on /lit/, /sci/ and Sup Forums and post only very rarely in any event. That graph is impossible to compile anyway, so it is bs.

>autistic Nasa engineers wouldn't want to work with potato on wheels

If I am so wrong, how come you could easily google the answer to the question that a theoretical physicist can help with on this project?

T. Armchair scientist

wat?

Because Hawking can actually solve a partial differential equation, unlike an autistic engineer with a masters?

Stephen hawking is a meme scientist. He doesn't know anything.

this thread is getting too retarded for me, I'm out

You're just mad people want to work with him even though he's retarded

>unlike an autistic engineer with a masters?
While American engineering departments have lowered their standards massively to attract students, German universities have not. They could just hire a 2nd yr German engineering student and he will be more useful for this project than Hawking.

Nice one muhammad! I see that Syrian education is really kicking in!

What if that mass at that velocity would cause fucking havoc upon whatever if crashes into?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Muhasir

Science AKA "Satanism" is nothing more than a bunch of atheistic lies.

>/lit/ and /sci/
Holy shit man, tell me more about community (((college)))

>Nice one muhammad! I see that Syrian education is really kicking in!
Then answer the question, Tyron.

First post potato potato

The real Stephen Hawking died many years ago, literally. But what do I know.

old news
>Breakthrough Starshot. In April, 2016, the Breakthrough Initiatives – led by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner – announced a $100 million investment in proof-of concept studies for an all-new way to get to the stars.

This thread bores me and has nothing to do with politics.
Next please

This is really interesting
Thanks user

whoa

Lasers. When we have ai we will be able to send them anywhere in space with lasers and mini stations.