Low-cost solar cells poised for commercial breakthrough

Low-cost solar cells poised for commercial breakthrough

>Cheap materials called perovskites are insinuating themselves into silicon solar cells—a first step toward ultimately usurping the reigning cell material. Last week, at a meeting here of the Materials Research Society (MRS), researchers announced that “tandem” cells, in which perovskites are layered on top of silicon and other photovoltaic materials, have achieved record-setting efficiencies at turning sunlight into electricity. Now, researchers are moving fast to surmount the lack of durability and other problems that have hindered the commercialization of perovskites.

sciencemag.org/news/2016/12/low-cost-solar-cells-poised-commercial-breakthrough

Other urls found in this thread:

singularityhub.com/2016/11/27/bioprinting-is-one-step-closer-to-making-a-human-kidney/
wexnermedical.osu.edu/mediaroom/pressreleaselisting/ohio-state-implants-first-brain-pacemaker-to-treat-alzheimers
cbc.ca/beta/news/health/crispr-gene-editing-technology-patent-1.3888259
darpa.mil/news-events/2016-12-07
phys.org/news/2016-12-scientists-silver-nanowires-based-dna.html#jCp
phys.org/news/2016-12-nanoceramic-material-safe-economical-nuclear.html#jCp
technologyreview.com/s/603107/ai-begins-to-understand-the-3-d-world/
ai100.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/ai_100_report_0901fnlc_single.pdf
theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/09/basic-income-short-working-week-green-institute-report
bbc.com/news/world-asia-38265676
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162516302244
futurism.com/a-revolutionary-hiv-vaccine-is-going-to-be-tested-on-600-people-next-year/
phys.org/news/2016-12-flexible-device-captures-energy-human.html#jCp
nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=45313.php
spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/neural-tourniquet-stimulates-a-nerve-to-stop-bleeding-anywhere-in-the-body?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: IeeeSpectrumFullText (IEEE Spectrum Full Text)&utm_content=Netvibes
phys.org/news/2016-12-critical-genes-unravelled-human-diseases.html#jCp
singularityhub.com/2016/12/05/the-brain-tech-to-merge-humans-and-ai-is-already-being-developed/
kurzweilai.net/implantable-device-targets-cancer-other-illnesses-with-controlled-long-term-drug-delivery
phys.org/news/2016-12-scientist-lamp-photodynamic-molecules-tumor.html#jCp
phys.org/news/2016-12-ultrathin-layer-bit-stability-perovskite.html#jCp
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-02/a-few-billionaires-are-turning-medical-philanthropy-on-its-head
phys.org/news/2016-12-physicists-precision-magnetic-fields-advanced.html#jCp
ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/Danaher20161205
futurism.com/scientists-target-protein-imbalance-in-blood-to-slow-aging/
chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-uic-artificial-leaf-bsi-20160822-story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=X-N9-0nC9I4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bioprinting Is One Step Closer to Making a Human Kidney

>Bioprinting has been all over the news in the past several years with headline-worthy breakthroughs like printed human skin, synthetic bones, and even a fully functional mouse thyroid gland.

singularityhub.com/2016/11/27/bioprinting-is-one-step-closer-to-making-a-human-kidney/

Ohio State Implants First Brain Pacemaker To Treat Alzheimer's

>During a five-hour surgery last October at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Kathy Sanford became the first Alzheimer’s patient in the United States to have a pacemaker implanted in her brain.

wexnermedical.osu.edu/mediaroom/pressreleaselisting/ohio-state-implants-first-brain-pacemaker-to-treat-alzheimers

CRISPR technology to be free?

>CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) is a revolutionary gene editing tool that allows scientists to edit DNA with unparalleled ease and precision.

cbc.ca/beta/news/health/crispr-gene-editing-technology-patent-1.3888259

Swarm units being theorized and developed

>OFFensive Swarm-Enabled Tactics program seeks to empower dismounted troops with technology to control scores of unmanned air and ground vehicles at a time.

darpa.mil/news-events/2016-12-07

Team swarming and building will be a future step for this technology. Many hands make light work.

Scientists make silver nanowires based on DNA molecules

>A team of researchers from Russia and Israel, including scientists from MIPT, has made nanowires from DNA molecules and silver nanoparticles. The research findings were published in Advanced Materials and are featured on the cover of the journal.

phys.org/news/2016-12-scientists-silver-nanowires-based-dna.html#jCp

I guess I'll come back later.

Thank you for your time.

Nanoceramic material for more safe and economical nuclear reactors

>An international team of researchers has created a nanoceramic material that not only can withstand the harsh effects of radiation, but also becomes tougher under radiation.

phys.org/news/2016-12-nanoceramic-material-safe-economical-nuclear.html#jCp

I realized I won't be available later, so I'll continue to post now. I hope you enjoy.

AI Begins to Understand the 3-D World

>Research on artificial intelligence moves from 2-D to 3-D representations of the world—work that could lead to big advances in robotics and automated driving.

technologyreview.com/s/603107/ai-begins-to-understand-the-3-d-world/

I like it very much.

Artifical Intelligence and Life in 2030: One Hundred Year Study on Artifical Intelligence

>The One Hundred Year Study on Artificial Intelligence, launched in the fall of 2014, is a longterm
investigation of the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its influences on people, their communities, and society.

ai100.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/ai_100_report_0901fnlc_single.pdf

I'm glad someone does. Thank you for your time.

Contract Work, Casual Work and the Basic Income

>The rise of contract and casual work means a shorter working week and universal basic income should become serious policy options, the Green Institute says.

theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/09/basic-income-short-working-week-green-institute-report

Forgot to mention: most AI operate on a plane of 2D to decipher their movements and then super imposed to virtual 3D. This will be actual 3D, which is a huge step.

Japan tests innovative magnetic tether for slowing space junk

>Japan has launched a cargo ship which will use a half mile- (700m)-long tether to remove some of the vast amount of debris from Earth's orbit. The tether, made of aluminium strands and steel wire, is designed to slow the debris, pulling it out of orbit.

bbc.com/news/world-asia-38265676

Thread to about to be purged I believe.

The future of employment: How susceptible are jobs to computerisation?

This is a report you have to pay for, but I'll post it anyway for the seriously curious.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162516302244

>Thread to about to be purged I believe.

I've failed you, the thread is about to be purged. I may try again.

A Revolutionary HIV Vaccine Is Going to Be Tested on 600 People Next Year

>The world epidemic of HIV shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. In 2015, a total of 36.7 million people were living with the disease. Many new and upcoming drugs and treatments are being studied to combat the threat.

futurism.com/a-revolutionary-hiv-vaccine-is-going-to-be-tested-on-600-people-next-year/

Flexible device captures energy from human motion

>Michigan State University engineering researchers have created a new way to harvest energy from human motion, using a film-like device that actually can be folded to create more power. With the low-cost device, known as a nanogenerator, the scientists successfully operated an LCD touch screen, a bank of 20 LED lights and a flexible keyboard, all with a simple touching or pressing motion and without the aid of a battery (click the respective links to see a short video of each demonstration).

phys.org/news/2016-12-flexible-device-captures-energy-human.html#jCp

These are good news, Sup Forums only reacts to bad ones, sadly

Memristive devices can mimic brain's capability to change synaptic connectivity

>Leti researchers have demonstrated that memristive devices are excellent candidates to emulate synaptic plasticity, the capability of synapses to enhance or diminish their connectivity between neurons, which is widely believed to be the cellular basis for learning and memory.

nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=45313.php

That may be true and is partially responsible for me no longer making monthly threads. It is usually quarterly now.

"Neural Tourniquet" Zaps a Nerve to Stop Bleeding Anywhere in the Body

>“It’s a real leap of faith: ‘I know, we’ll stimulate a nerve to control bleeding!’” says says Chris Czura, a vice-president of the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, on Long Island.“When you say this to surgeons, they look at you funny.”

spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/neural-tourniquet-stimulates-a-nerve-to-stop-bleeding-anywhere-in-the-body?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: IeeeSpectrumFullText (IEEE Spectrum Full Text)&utm_content=Netvibes

Why not arrays of rectennas instead? Or are they better only if coupled with emitters working at a specific frequency?

I enjoy these threads.

I thought you only posted on /sci/

Critical genes unravelled to understand human diseases and support drug discovery

>Throughout evolutionary history, there have been genetic elements that have duplicated - giving rise to genes with different functions. These are called 'paralogs'. They are able to form and evolve new functions, which have similar functions in relation to cellular signalling. This also means that there are many duplicated genes within the genome that might be redundant or less prominent when it comes to key cellular signalling pathways.

phys.org/news/2016-12-critical-genes-unravelled-human-diseases.html#jCp

It all started here in an attempt to help alleviate some of the doom and gloom and the general negative outlook this place seems to have of the future.

I'll bump your tits off, friend.

Keep it up.

We living in a horrible present-tense friend, I want to live in 3016 AD.

BUMP

Also, at times, there have been a few that have taken the name Space Elevator in my absence and continued the threads. One was Space Escalator and others simply used Space Elevator. I'd estimate there are 4 of us.

I enjoy the dumps but basic income will always be a meme.

The Brain Tech to Merge Humans and AI Is Already Being Developed

singularityhub.com/2016/12/05/the-brain-tech-to-merge-humans-and-ai-is-already-being-developed/

So it's been told.

i do appreciate what you're doing here

shamefully, although i've developed a permanent boner for such things through dick-riding heinlein/clarke/herbert/etc, my first thoughts were directed towards potential investments to generate shekels off of any of these advances

anyway, cheers and have a bump

I appreciate it.
I just hope I'm not too old to enjoy some things by then.

>space elevator

good to see you again m8

I do not see a problem with investing into these technologies and making a return on them, in the end you will have helped to move the science forward and earned a profit in return.

bump my good man

Keep yourself healthy and you should live to see amazing advances in the near future.

Damn.. now I want to wait again before solar PV'ing my house.

Every time I'm about too, another breakthrough in the tech appears and I go "fuck, I want the 20% efficient panels now, not the 15%.."

Implantable device targets cancer, other illnesses with controlled long-term drug delivery

>A new drug-delivery system based on an tiny implantable capsule could “revolutionize” the delivery of medicine to treat cancer and a host of other diseases and ailments, according to researchers at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).

kurzweilai.net/implantable-device-targets-cancer-other-illnesses-with-controlled-long-term-drug-delivery

Scientist designs lamp light operative photodynamic molecules for tumor therapy

>In a new paper published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, Dr. Han, associate professor of biochemistry & molecular pharmacology, outlines how the carbazole-substituted BODIPY (Car-BDP) molecules, which possess an intense, broad NIR absorption band with a remarkably high singlet oxygen quantum yield, will further the potential clinical application for photodynamic therapy.

phys.org/news/2016-12-scientist-lamp-photodynamic-molecules-tumor.html#jCp

It's good to see you again as well.

Ultrathin protective layer brings quite a bit more stability to perovskite solar cell

>The addition of a few nanometers of a thin layer of aluminum oxide protects a perovskite solar cell against humidity - still a major stumbling block to the commercial application of this new type of solar cell. A surprising bonus is a yield boost of 3 percent. These are the findings of researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and research institute ECN, part of the Solliance collective, published today in the journal Energy and Environmental Science.

phys.org/news/2016-12-ultrathin-layer-bit-stability-perovskite.html#jCp

Thank you.

I've always loved your threads m8, these links you're posting are filled with new info.
Godbless the work.

A Few Billionaires Are Turning Medical Philanthropy on Its Head

>Sean Parker decided to take on cancer by throwing so many deep-rooted basics of research tradition out the window that he very nearly drove away the academics he wanted to attract. Among the many curious things about the institute established in April by Parker, Facebook Inc.’s first president and a co-founder of Napster Inc., is that scientists must pledge to collaborate instead of compete and to concentrate on making drugs rather than publishing papers. What’s more, marketable discoveries will be group affairs, with collaborative licensing deals -- no matter who led the research.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-02/a-few-billionaires-are-turning-medical-philanthropy-on-its-head

bump

Thank you for reading and thank you for your time.

good to see you back man

pls don't go :'(

Thank you.

-----------

Physicists confirm the precision of magnetic fields in the most advanced stellarator in the world

>Physicist Sam Lazerson of the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) has teamed with German scientists to confirm that the Wendelstein 7-X (W7-X) fusion energy device called a stellarator in Greifswald, Germany, produces high-quality magnetic fields that are consistent with their complex design.

phys.org/news/2016-12-physicists-precision-magnetic-fields-advanced.html#jCp

Good to see you reading and learning. Nice trips. :)

I'm not leaving yet. I have a few more things to post and then I'll want to discuss for a while. I post these threads quarterly now.

An article about AI ran human society. How it would influence and nudge human development.

ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/Danaher20161205

Scientists Target Protein Imbalance In Blood To Slow Aging

>More and more scientists have been focusing on the battle against aging. Some of them are looking into the blood of young people for solutions. Recently, we covered ongoing human trials of blood plasma transfusions from young people into Alzheimer’s patients. This process was found to improve physical performance as well as cognitive functions in mice, and performed better than a preceding experiment where old and young mice were stitched together.

futurism.com/scientists-target-protein-imbalance-in-blood-to-slow-aging/

UIC researchers develop artificial leaf that turns CO2 into fuel

>University of Illinois at Chicago researchers have developed a way to mimic plants’ ability to convert carbon dioxide into fuel, a way to decrease the amounts of harmful gas in the atmosphere and produce clean energy.

chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-uic-artificial-leaf-bsi-20160822-story.html

Reversing Aging

youtube.com/watch?v=X-N9-0nC9I4

>tfw born too soon to take advantage of age-slowing procedures and you'll die at the young age of 80
fug

I will take a break from posting and would like to discuss some of the topics I've presented today.

I'm very interested in the prospect of the forthcoming higher efficiency solar cells.

We're advancing in this area of science by leaps and bounds. However, I do believe that the ability to grow vital organs - your own organs - will be delivered first. This will serve as a stop gap for failing bodies.

The process of reversing aging itself or at the very least stopping it, is currently in its adolescence when it comes to research.

how much better are they?

We might actually be able to hit 40% before my time is up.

Nice.

Still a huge problem of energy storage.

Any breakthroughs there?

However, the top end ones (where they're making about 320W per standard commercial size panel now) are good enough to really reduce my power bill with far fewer panels than what it took 5-10 years ago, when good panels were in the 220 / 265W area.

Should probably just bite the bullet.

space is this really you? i missed you

>mfw i hate life, but don't want to suicide because it will hurt family
>mfw they keep me alive until I'm 160 my constantly replacing my organs as i age
fug

Most efficient I've seen is 20%, but the ones he posted are higher, and have a 3% boost.

So, ballpark, around 25%.

Did they original space elevator use a trip code?

neato. not earth shattering, but cool stuff

I love this thread. Thank you user.

We're approaching 40% efficiency in controlled lab testing. Practical applications are still in the 20%-25% range. Nanotech will certainly play a factor in the coming years as labs and companies re-tool to manufacture on the nano scale.

The 40% is possible in controlled lab testing, still not practical in real world environment. The article I posted has demonstrated a practical improvement of 3%, so 20%-25% practical is on the horizon.

Invite everyone to an event. Flood room with nitrogen. Tada, no one feels the pain of your suicide.

what a nice thread

that's cool. Why so excited for the 3% improvement?

If we can hit 25% and produce them cheaply, we still need to tackle storage.

Deep cycle and lithium can only take us so far.

desu i don't think i'll last that long anyway
i'll probably get cancer or something beforehand
actually think something is up now, but too scared to go to the doctor just to know i'm gunna die /blog

What about rectennas/nantennas?
>inb4 >(((wikipedia)))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna
>Other prototype devices were investigated in a collaboration between the University of Connecticut and Penn State Altoona using a grant from the National Science Foundation.[10] With the use of atomic layer deposition it has been suggested that conversion efficiencies of solar energy to electricity higher than 70% could eventually be achieved.

Yes, it's really me. I missed you too.

Get a lawyer to write up advanced directives and a living will, best way to avoid 100 years of suffering.

Please don't kill yourself. I like you just the way you are. You are somebody.

I guess I could just destroy the earth.

Saw a thing about vacuum decay lately. That would be pretty sweet. If I could figure out how to trigger a vacuum decay basically everyone on earth would instantly die at the same time. Perfect solution.

Any improvement is great and is a stepping stone. Also, 3% is huge when you consider we're building mega power centers based on solar now. It adds up really fast.

Let's hope the energy tycoons do not already own the patents

>Get a lawyer to write up advanced directives and a living will
I should probably look into that.

>Please don't kill yourself. I like you just the way you are. You are somebody.
I like myself too. Partly why I want to kill myself. If I had a dog that was in a lot of pain I'd put him down. Feels bad, but such is life.

I agree, storage is going to be a significant hurdle. However, there is hope with the 3D storage architecture. Again, nano scale and it will be a few years for companies and labs to re-tool.

Will that shit be on market soon you think?

I'm hyped over the solar stuff Elon is doing. Even though Sup Forums and most of Sup Forums seem to think he a mem.

Hold on m8t. Science will fins a way.

Are you the high level insider?

Is great that ur back space elevator

Man that would be awesome. If i could cure my crippling autism and anxiety I'd love being alive. Based on what I see, it's pretty hard to reverse autism related stuff when you in your 30's, because the brain has stopped developing by then.

As with most significant improvements, most of it will be directed toward military (which many of the worlds militaries are heavily investing in solar) and high end manufacturing. Pretend it is accomplished tomorrow - we'll see a consumer version in about 5 years after that. It is all logistics, volume and re-tooling to be honest. The greatest need gets it first, then it's released to the public.

I'm just a guy that enjoys science and technology. I'm a collector of knowledge and do my small part in trying to educate those that have an interest in it. I just want to see people be curious and learn. Thank you for your time.

Do you have any religious affiliations?

Well we're both in our 30s and have lived in the last millennium, we've seen some shit in our times.
Autism and anxiety can be controlled or cured, you gotta keep feeding your brain with information to keep it active.

Solar is cool and everything, but...losses.

Transmission, storage, rectification...you lose a lot of true power. Very much a local use thing, which is good for the residential side of things.

>t. electrician

We need to push this to trump, NASA should not be working on rocketry, they should be investing in a space elevator. This is the new Apollo project.

>Space Elevator has come back