Senate Quietly Passes the "Countering Disinformation And Propaganda Act"

zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-10/senate-quietly-passes-countering-disinformation-and-propaganda-act

>In other words, the Act will i) greenlight the government to crack down with impunity against any media property it deems "propaganda", and ii) provide substantial amounts of money fund an army of "local journalist" counterpropaganda, to make sure the government's own fake news drowns that of the still free "fringes."

>So while packaged politely in a veneer of "countering disinformation and propaganda", the bill, once signed by Obama, will effectively give the government a full mandate to punish, shut down or otherwise prosecute, any website it deems offensive and a source of "foreign government propaganda from Russia, China or other nations."

>And since there is no formal way of proving whether or not there is indeed a foreign propaganda sponsor, all that will be sufficient to eliminate any "dissenting" website, will be the government's word against that of the website.

>One can be confident that the US government will almost certainly prevail in every single time.

How screwed are Alex Jones, Brietbart, and other similar new outlets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DR7PLdetvwA
publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_120916.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=5ABLNQh_54o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>They are giving the power to this guy

fpbp Godspeed you glorious American

The writing's on the wall. The narrative is on the page. The best way to deal with the looming unemployment crisis it to hand power to people like and set the stage for total war.

Hell be fine.

I agree with him, but he seems like too much of a wuss to act on it, even if we let him know.

So after accusing P-E of being manchurian candidate they decide him authority to fuck with free press. This is brilliant.

Well, the ultimate glorious fruit of the Enlightenment, democracy, has been forcibly transformed into corporate totalitarianism thanks to dimwitted, uneducated, greedy politicians on both sides. And you stupid fucks.

Feels pretty bad man.

oh please tell me this is how CNN gets shut down.

All you had to do was listen.

I mean, this can be stopped, but it'll be to damn hard.

The ideals of the enlightenment only work when you have an educated populace that believes in them. You have to have people that are engaged in the civic process that care about country and government.

When Reagan turned the government into a problem that was the first blow. Government is not the problem it is the will of the people, it is our collective strength.

Its been down hill ever since. You are correct it feels bad, not that anyone on this board cares. Many are more then willing to deny others liberty to suite their own goals

agreed

Oh we heard you.

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, we are that much closer to finally having a fascist America. On the other hand, we don't yet have the culture for it, we are at risk of SJW's and commies taking over.

The propaganda arm of the western establishment completely collapsed. It became evident this year.

They'll have to resort to old strategies: framing and blameshifting (Russia hacks with no actual sources, FBI, etc...) and outright censorship.

This, in our current society simply doesnt work, especially with the internet. These people still dont understand what they're up against.

They arent fighting a bunch of alternative media sites, regardless if they come from Russia or not. They are fighting against the very fundamental dynamic of the internet. Its like trying to stop the tides of an ocean.

Their drowning tactics dont work if they arent naturally emergent. People who would refuse that info would simply refuse it again. They'll become even more entrenched in their beliefs, and other "normies" that could be open to establishment controlled news will be even more suspicious.

You cant stop noise with more noise. You cant stop emergent, decentralized floods of information with centralized, artificial floods.

Information distribution is no ones monopoly now.
This is a fundamental historical change. The catholic church couldnt stop the spread of heresies and the Reformation with the advent of the printing press. The current establishment is just as incapable to change anything too.
They'll just amplify the noise. It seems like they are unaware of the Streisand Effect.

>product of the glorious fruit of enlightenment aka democracy

>the ultimate glorious fruit of the Enlightenment, democracy, has been forcibly transformed into corporate totalitarianism

The minds who came up with the Enlightenment were quite aware of the faults of democracy. It was never considered a very good system. Much less its "ultimate glorious fruit". Anyone who'd ever read Plato would know this, and people like Locke or Voltaire knew this.

The issue is much larger. And it strikes at the heart of the enlightenment

The funny thing is, there has literally been a slow motion corporate coup d'etat and you're here blabbering about the commies like it's 1950.

Narratives, especially shared narratives, are important for a country to survive. As long as that narrative for the most part reflects reality you are fine.

I am not here to bash the internet but it has fundamentally altered the ability of the country to share a common narrative. People live in little bubbles, some reflect reality more then others. Without a shared discourse, without a shared narrative, the country will collapse.

Censorship isn't the answer but neither is a free for all. Both extremes are just as damaging. I don't support this kind of action but I have no clue what else to do

Do you?

>how fucked is Breitbart

Whitehouse Chief Strategist would like to have a word with you m8

If I had to guess I'd say this is being pushed just so Trump can shut it down and be criticized for it

Be hilarious if he used it to shut down CNN though

>corporate
You mean globalist.

Gas the kikes, monarchy nao?

This would be scary if we didn't have the first amendment and didn't just cuck them out of their progressive judge by electing Trump.

There was a corporate coup d'etat in the late 1800s. They weren't pushing homosexuality, race mixing and third world immigration then. The cultural marxist influence into our academia along with the corporations and zionists are doing this.

>Government is not the problem it is the will of the people, it is our collective strength.
then why do you not advocate for taxes to be 100 percent?

Corporatism is globalism.

Why should the state get to determine a nation's culture?

>reflects reality

You can't do this without allowing for differing viewpoints and open discussion of ideas.

>People live in little bubbles

Especially those who work for CNN. Either that, or they're deliberately deceptive.

America is becoming a corporatocracy, that is true, but we should be able to turn it corporatist instead with the proper amount of nationalism.

I don't think you can stop the free for all from happening.

I think it's something we're going to have to ride, and in the wake of information overload the lines are going to be redrawn.

We live in interesting times.

I dont support anything. I simply support the idea that pushing for censorship only accelerates and exponentiates this meltdown process of information distribution.

I was already expecting this. And I expect much more beyond this.
The dominating narrative, as you say, is collapsing. And I'm expecting it to go beyond simple issues regarding two candidates in an election.

Certain central tenets to our shared western narrative, will likely come crashing down. (more than they already are)
This board and website in general is proof of that.
Equality and democracy are concepts that will come under threat. And it will have large consequences.
If anything, Sup Forums is simply a small window towards the future.

Media is the first victim. Academia is up for grabs in this process of complete meltdown.
These two institutions define our shared narratives, and they are under severe threat with the advent of the internet.

In my mind corporatism disconnects the US left from the EU left, which is incorrect.

If you include those ties in "corporatism" then yeah, i agree.

Is this even constitutional, does it have to be validated by Supreme Court?

Gas the kikes, Neo-cameralism nao.

Read Moldbug, Land.

It was a metaphor you dumb fuck. I am a liberal in the traditional sense of the word. That ideology is incompatible with communism

I thought I made it clear I am flat out against censorship. Freedom of speech is important. I was commenting on the fact that the internet is an overload of information. Its preventing the formation of a shared narrative.

We now have two very different narratives in this country and a house divided will not stand. I was asking for a realistic solution because I can not find one.

I'm really confused about why the anti-government people are the people who want an authoritarian, totalizing government. Does that make any sense?

came to post basically this

>Jan 21 2016
>year 5777
>Trumps:
>70th year
>7th month
>7th day

>The issue is much larger. And it strikes at the heart of the enlightenment

Yes. This is the biggest issue Western civilization is struggling with. Our culture needs to reconcile science and religion.

Very good point. It can be a problem but, because of how sick, twisted and fragmented culture is, I think that the internet is a unifying force. Allows places like this to rediscover tradition.

it's unconstitutional so all we need is someone to take t to the supreme court.

So you're saying, you can't stop the signal

youtube.com/watch?v=DR7PLdetvwA

The whole point of globalization is so that corporations can exploit labor wherever in the world it's most affordable to do so.

Fuck Moldbug, he's a moron, and very likely a shill

the values of the enlightenment ARE religion. (minus the God part)

Why do you think the Left acts like a cult?

No it's not. The first amendment ensures freedom of the press.

If the government tries to shut down any fringe news website they're literally destroying everything America was built on the very foundation of American freedom. If you ask me any amateur lawyer should be able to get someone accused of 'fake news' off the hook.

>The whole point of globalization is so that corporations can exploit labor wherever in the world it's most affordable to do so.

...and then ship the dispossessed from those places to be cared for by the first-world tax-payers, thus lowering the standards of living everywhere.

Our current cultural chasm has largely come about due to authoritarians on both sides trying to label certain ways of thinking as "evil". That's why we're divided.

At its core, western culture is about freedom, rationality, and hard work. The best way to safeguard these things is to encourage the free flow of information.

Well said Portubro

>Countering Disinformation

They're going to shut down the CIA?

>amateur lawyer should be able to get someone accused of 'fake news' off the hook.
This. It's an act of pure desperation and a sign of weakness on their part to try this. It's not going to fly.

You made the SJW nonsense that fights against free speech

You made laws like this

Now you gave them to your enemy

But typically, you won't blame yourself

The NYT, CNN, MSNBC, and the Washington Post, too!

What freedoms do we have under a "democracy" that we wouldn't have in the 3rd Reich?

>literally handing Trump the power to destroy his enemies
how dumb are they??

>Hell be fine.
fuck yuo!

We don't want a government controlled by the corporations, we want a government that controls the corporations, forces them to be subservient to the state. I'm not anti-government, and just against the current globalist weak and corrupt government we have right now. Eventually once we purge the corruption and corporate and commie influence we can give them almost total power.

gun ownership

The Germans were allowed to own guns under the 3rd Reich, and in fact they loosened gun restrictions.

So the guy who decries even his own people as fake news?
Or the Necongress?
Oh wait maybe its all the direct moneyed interests in power.

Breibart is the government now user, you have been paying attention right?
Expect all of the net media to be shutdown and the Lugenpresse to continue on. Can't have State propaganda halted.
Same reason Alphabet is also clamping down on fake news with ads and Goybook.

The only parts that will be hurt is the truth.
Everything else comes from free wordpress servers.

I say this from the left. You're right. Identity politics is a pretty shameful thing the we've done. The Podesta emails show exactly how cynical and manipulative the Clinton campaign's use of it was. And it isn't even smart politically because in the big picture it alienates more people than it speaks to. Which is why Hillary's obsession with race and gender (sound familiar Sup Forums?) helped her lose.

I really hate this about the left. Some progressives are starting to wake up. Sanders was criticizing identity politics the other day. Jimmy Dore has talked about it.

It's fair to say that, but I think you know what I mean; materialism/science religion/transcendence. We could argue the lexicon forever.

Hitler supported gun freedom for all german citizens.

0 terrorists attacks during the regime before the war.

>(((Moldbug)))

kys

Drain the swamp, he said.

There weren't any terrorists to begin with, chili-pepper.

Check'd and Praised.

Based kek, lend me your powers too.

satan pls

Both sides have been playing identity politics, don't you remember Freedom fries and the whole backlash against the dixie chicks. Its the same thing.

Both sides equal in this because they are both authoritarian thugs. The only difference is the groups they appeal to.

There are useless idiots on both sides and all, or nearly all, of them refuse to even consider it. They both are looking at different data and coming to different conclusions.

See the recent poll publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_120916.pdf

40% if trump voters believe he won the POPULAR vote.

Both sides are great at dividing us with separate media, with identity politics

>i love being ruled by a bunch of suicidal hippy faggots

don't worry little guy, some day when you're older you will understand

>at dividing us with separate media, with identity politics

It's kind of hard not to when niggers are killing white people all over the country daily and entire cities are no-go zones.

Thank you for missing the point and also providing anecdotal evidence that supports the poll I just mentioned

youtube.com/watch?v=5ABLNQh_54o

>and you stupid fucks

How did we cause this? This is being passed under Obummer. Are you trying to imply that if Clinton got elected and they had total control of every aspect of government it'd be better because they wouldn't be cracking down on free speech in a desperate attempt at damage control? They're fully aware that this will lead to Trump having more control over the media but they're fine with it because they're hedging their bets that he will be out in 4 years before he can do any irreparable damage to their political establishment and the media's current consensus narrative. I'm betting he will keep the enthusiasm of his current voter base and probably attract the slightly more centrist Republican neocon types who got conned by the media into not voting (there was a slightly smaller turnout for Trump in the election than for Bush's second term from what I remember). I believe in absence of some undetected, coordinated skulduggery from both sides and the supreme court, Trump will be in for 2 full terms.

Can't read posts

when they

talk

like this

Get off your mobile phone and post on a fucking computer

RETARD
E
T
A
R
D

Better?

Jokes on them, we global now

Ah yes, now suddenly the law must be completely upheld.
Don't worry, you get to fry as well, statures of limitations are in effect.

>he wants to hang separately instead of overthrow the kikes.

Or you could just realize you're not on leddit anymore.

About as screwed as Sup Forums is when Trump allows net neutrality to fall by the wayside.
/thread

Sup Forums is more valuable as a honeypot. Why shut it down when everyone is gathered here.

>Hello FBI-kun have you watched the new season of Flip Flappers its AOTY

Pretty sure George Washington turned government into the problem and he came somewhat before Reagan. Government as collective will is worst case scenario pure populism.

>are you trying to imply that if Clinton got elected

No. You didn't read my post, especially the words "politicians on both sides." This has been a long project that involves Republicans and Democrats. Clinton (Bill) was one of the worst for undermining our democracy in favor of big money corporate interests. Hillary was a war-mongering corporatist, a fossil fuel industry fluffer, and a Wall Street ventriloquist dummy.

This post deserves to be remembered forever.

>The funny thing is, there has literally been a slow motion corporate coup d'etat and you're here blabbering about the commies like it's 1950.

Led by Trump.

Trump thinks the Presidency is like being CEO of America, and it's not. His every move will be based on enriching himself and his cronies for as long as possible after pulling of the sales pitch of a lifetime.

I hope the rest of us survive. That includes you idiots who voted for him, because I guarantee he hasn't a single fractional fuck to give for all of you lower- middle- and upper-middle classers put together.

Are you kidding? Corporatism if anything, is autarky, not globalism.

>doing what the people want
>bad thing

wew

Who else were we supposed to vote for?

>Alex Jones

He'll be fine so long as he keeps distracting the goyim from anything important.

year 5777?
whos calendar is that?

Checked

nvm google says its JEWS

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To be blunt, the bulk of the people rarely know what is best for them. If everyone is educated sure but they are not. We have people today that vote without having read the constitution, or the federalist and anti-federalist papers. They have no clue what they are doing and just vote to feel good, so their team wins.

You cant run a country on good feelings.

(((theirs)))

Yes and then the jews take over the media, the intellectuals read their trash and we wind up where we are today anyways. Thanks for playing.

Trump confirmed for champion of G*d's chosen people.

>especially the words "politicians on both sides."

Yeah, I did read that, what I took issue with was "and you stupid fucks." What exactly did we do that propelled this agenda forward? Nothing. This was an inevitability, and as you said, "been a long project that involves Republicans and Democrats." What we did was assist a candidate that lies outside the main agendas of both parties and he won the election. I don't get how we "turned democracy into totalitarianism." By your own metrics we did fuck all because this was ALWAYS going to happen due to the two party system and the complete corruption of the representatives and senators. So why are you blaming us? Is it because you want to look like an epic RADICAL (gnarly) centristâ„¢ nihilist who holds no real political positions like a super intelligent smarty (praise Max Stirner)?

Never change, Keep reducing complex problems down to the Jews did it. Its much easier to blame them then to take the blame ourselves.

We have failed to educate our populace and now our populace makes bad decisions. You could better educate yourself and try and make better decisions, but you don't.

Why? What is stopping you from reading? I bet the Jews are doing that too.

There was no one to vote for. People who live ethical lives stay out of politics because the amount of backstabbing and maneuvering requires slight sociopathic tendencies. There are really only a few options:
Wait for the next economic collapse to try and rebuild
Violence
Pray someone who views politics as a civil service rather than a career falls the cracks and makes it to the top

>Hillary was a war-mongering corporatist,
Trump has already provoked possible war with China due to his lack of forbearance and ignorance of diplomatic protocol, and he hasn't even been sworn in yet.

>a fossil fuel industry fluffer,
Trump just floated an Exxon-Mobil plutocrat with ties to Russia as America's top foreign diplomat.

>and a Wall Street ventriloquist dummy.
Trump wants to repeal Dodd-Frank, which was passed in response to the Occupy Movement because of the economic crash caused by Bush's failed Republican economics, and is a completely self-interested opportunist who has burdened the populace by avoiding taxed on his billions for over a decade.

Flush out your headgear bright-eyes, and start tracking on reality.

>he says as he never answers any specifics

Read pic related. We did used to have good intellectuals and good schools but cultural marxism pushed by the Frankfurt school destroyed all of it. And yes it was mostly jews behind this with some good goys too.

shit

>leaf