Twitter Has the Right to Suspend Donald Trump's Account

nyti.ms/2hE4GwP
>If Twitter wanted to, it would be well within its rights to suspend Donald J. Trump’s account.
>After the president-elect used Twitter last week to criticize Chuck Jones, an Indiana union leader who represents workers at the Carrier company, Mr. Jones reported receiving a series of threatening phone calls from Mr. Trump’s supporters. Similarly, last year, Mr. Trump used Twitter to attack a college student who asked him a critical question at a rally; The Washington Post reported that the woman has been barraged by obscene and deranged threats ever since.
As a corporation, Twitter is under no First Amendment obligation to let Mr. Trump use the service. It gets to make its own set of speech rules within its own walls, and among those rules is a prohibition on using the service to incite harassment. Earlier this year, the company suspended several Trump supporters who appeared to run afoul of those rules. Twitter has said that its policies apply to every user.

Why doesn't Twitter ban Donald Trump?

Because their stocks would plummet.

>why doesn't twitter ban Donald Trump?

To stay relevant

>Why doesn't Twitter ban Donald Trump?

Because it would make the decaying left look even worse than they are now.

>Implying they aren't already

>As a corporation, Twitter is under no First Amendment obligation to let Mr. Trump use the service. It gets to make its own set of speech rules within its own walls

Wait a second, so corporations don't have to respect the 1A?

So then why can't bakeries refuse to bake cakes for gay weddings?

:^)

Rules for thee, not for me.

Couldn't trump just ban twitter fron the US?

this actually really made me think

Why doesn't Donald Trump ban Twitter?

Do as I say not as I do. The bakery should be forced by threat of imprisonment to bake a cake for customers it doesn't want but twitter shouldn't be forced to give a platform to a person they don't like. Sad that this double standard will never cross their minds. How they can think the two things make perfect sense at the same time.

Fucking capitalism fixes it all. People are nice and inclusive not because it's the right thing to do but because of $. Twitter won't ban trump because it would kill them. If that bakery refused the gays another bakery would welcome them and the business they bring. It's why you always see companies so happy to be inclusive and shit. The money forces you to be good. Business doesn't suck your cock because it likes the taste

>Twitter has the right to suspend Trumps account
WRONG

They could ban him, but they won't.
Twitter makes almost no money.
Banning the POTUS would not be good for them

Unfair!

Short version.

Because they are not government agencies, companies are not bound by free speech laws. They are, however, bound by anti-discrimination laws.

It's dumb, but dems da berries.

Except they do. Get out commie.

Instead of refusing to bake a gay cake, say something like the following: "We currently do not offer services relating to your inquiry at this time. Please check back in the future for possible expanded product offerings, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

This. If they ban him they'll be dead in the water and fade into Internet obscurity.

Yeah they fucked up by saying it was because they were gay. You say you're going to refuse service and don't elaborate. Have a fat sign that says we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for anything and point to that when they ask. Keep yourself lawsuit free.

He could move to Gab any day and kill twitter

>You have to lie to protect your first amendment rights!
What a time to be alive!

Because they would lose millions of users

If they haven't they can't, simple as that.

This.

Even if they legally could suspend his account as a private corporation has the right to, the effect that would have on people's opinion of them would be huge.
While companies don't legally have to stick the the 1st amendment on their platform, if enough of their users belive they should then the invisible hand of the market dictates that they can't just go around banning every account the don't like. No matter how much the vical subset of "liberals" want them to.

ancap is best ideology

Why wouldn't they have the right? They are a private business as far as i know, so they can ban people if they like.

Is it good for them to shatter their credibility by banning political accounts for not being left? Probably not. But they should be able to do so.

>trump gets banned from twitter
>trump has twitter investigated and shut down for the terrorist and pedo accounts they refuse to ban

>twitter bans trump
>president trump creates consitutionally protected site with a similar concept to twitter, with superior functionality, publicly owned
>calls it notinfringed.com

>As a corporation, Twitter is under no First Amendment obligation to let Mr. Trump use the service. It gets to make its own set of speech rules within its own walls
>walls
kek

Why would they delete the only thing that has kept the platform alive?

He's the president of the united states

I do find it odd that you can't say no I will not make a cake for you because you're a woman but you can call her all kinds of shit using your first amendment.

Doesn't forcing you to bake the cake fall into the thirteenth amendment or something? How isn't forcing someone to do something against their beliefs not violate this? I'm uneducated on the law so forgive me if this is a stupid question

It solves almost everything until the TOW missiles start firing

Trump gets banned and spends money setting up a no censorship Wild West internet platform when? I want my Sup Forums like twitter where no bans, no mods and no censorship

hmm, do you goys still have that indefinite detention for no reason and can kill anyone on a whim law? was that the NDAA?

also, this is clearcut anti-trust

or they could just do a kim dotcom on them

>twitter

Trump is Twitter.

If Trump gets mad enough and just says "Fuck that place I'm only posting on Facebook" Twitter would just fucking die.

I'm pretty certain that at least 10 percent of the people who go to Twitter are just checking it to see what Donald Trump might have written next.

They cannot kill their biggest star, without Trump Twitter has a grave next to Myspace.

But the bakery never refused the customers service. All they did was refuse to decorate the cake as requested.

They were willing to sell everything included for the customer to complete their order, nobody was turned away or refused business.